Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

What are the mechanics of enemies running away? Why would a Scrapper have more runners than a brute?

What are the mechanics of Hasten and permahasten? It says it improves recharge by 70% - do I need the recharge to be 170% of the duration or less?

EDIT: vvv And that's related? Be detailed please.

EDIT EDIT: Thanks!

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Brute attacks all have a taunt component.

e: taunt stops mobs running, it forces them to fight you. tbh it's only really an issue when farming, because having to run mobs down drags on your efficiency. I wouldn't worry about it otherwise.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 31, 2019

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I rolled a Kinetic/Bio stalker and holy carp its awesome. The AoE crits from hide, plus the fast animation for AS is so fast I'm thinking it's bugged. We're talking about 3/10 of a second here.

With a fuckload of global recharge this guy could be insane. Heck now I'm thinking of switching to a secondary that grants +rcg like Electric or Energy.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
So the game really wanted everyone to know that this one story arc, Smoke and Mirrors I think, was written by Hickman. Got a special note in the mission text and everything. Only thing is that the arc is terrible and boring. It's "We'll port you back in time to stop the Circle of Thorns by rescuing this one victim. Oh no, we were too late. Let's try it again. Oh no we were too late. We'll try it again. Oh no we were too late and had the wrong twin. Fine, we'll send you to go stop the demon summoning and pit you against an overtuned boss in one of those terrible CoT maps. The day is saved hooray."

Meanwhile, this random story villain-side with no listed author, Destiny Follows, is actually pretty fun and much more engaging, with a finish that was really damned good.

Was the Hickman story actually any good in the comic? Cause it was crappy in-game. Maybe it was just a bad translation of a comic book into the game, but anyone who read it have an opinion?

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

HPanda posted:

So the game really wanted everyone to know that this one story arc, Smoke and Mirrors I think, was written by Hickman. Got a special note in the mission text and everything. Only thing is that the arc is terrible and boring. It's "We'll port you back in time to stop the Circle of Thorns by rescuing this one victim. Oh no, we were too late. Let's try it again. Oh no we were too late. We'll try it again. Oh no we were too late and had the wrong twin. Fine, we'll send you to go stop the demon summoning and pit you against an overtuned boss in one of those terrible CoT maps. The day is saved hooray."

Meanwhile, this random story villain-side with no listed author, Destiny Follows, is actually pretty fun and much more engaging, with a finish that was really damned good.

Was the Hickman story actually any good in the comic? Cause it was crappy in-game. Maybe it was just a bad translation of a comic book into the game, but anyone who read it have an opinion?

The comic was pretty good, not amazing.

I forget where, but you can (legally) download all the comics somewhere. I'll try to find it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

LordSaturn posted:

What are the mechanics of enemies running away?

I don't know if that black box has ever been fully cracked, but to my understanding a good way to think of it is every enemy has a "panic check" that's based on whether or not their attacks are successfully landing or if they have any attacks actually off-cooldown. I think it can also be triggered if their allies are dying super quickly. This is why Giant Monsters and AVs have a bad habit of flipping the gently caress out because they'll be debuffed to hell and probably only have a small handful of attacks to attempt to cycle through.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was originally intended to facilitate the whole "Superman lands in front of some street punks, they realize he's bulletproof and run like hell" fantasy, since it's naturally way more likely to kick in on grey-con mobs.

Taunt doesn't actually override this completely, IIRC. They added a -Range debuff to taunt powers to compensate for it (and help melee characters not need to chase down enemies with only ranged attacks or poo poo like Longbow Eagles that are scripted to maintain distance) but if an enemy is completely demoralized even that won't work since the debuff only affects their actual powers - once they're done flailing around and decide to make an attack check, then they'll be forced to come back in a bit closer than they might normally.

There's also a lot of noise and lag when it comes to processing AI stuff which might be partly to blame. (This is why sometimes when you stun an enemy they'll still move around at normal speed. Their AI/the server has already decided they're moving from point A to point B and will ignore the slowdown component of stun until that movement is resolved.)

HPanda posted:

Hickman's arc was the only good one in the entire run, which is why they tried to adapt it. You hit the nail on the head that it doesn't really work in game; the story in the comics was less about the raw plot and more about the character interactions. Having the Cyrus statue and community center in Kings Row is awesome, at least.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 21:00 on May 31, 2019

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Inzombiac posted:

I can't decide what to pair a katana brute with!!!

Claws/Bio is dope as gently caress but I want to make a robot samurai next.

yooooooo Electric

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

elec or energy!!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

LordSaturn posted:

What are the mechanics of enemies running away? Why would a Scrapper have more runners than a brute?

What are the mechanics of Hasten and permahasten? It says it improves recharge by 70% - do I need the recharge to be 170% of the duration or less?

EDIT: vvv And that's related? Be detailed please.

My memory of it is that enemies sometimes run away if they realise they're in a bad spot (such as a ranged enemy in melee) or if they know they're standing in the fire (they're very likely to realise they're standing in the actual fires). The latter's quite extreme because in the dim and distant past, enemies were too dumb to realise they were standing in the fire and you could get every enemy in the zone camping in six-damage-slotted Burn patches that just melted hordes of enemies and spat out ludicrous amounts of XP. By and large, enemies don't, they just attack. Taunting makes them prioritise the person who was taunted, and turns up their "aggressiveness"; this can make them ignore the fact they're comfortable at range or some moderate fires like debuffs, but they'll still panic if they're in things like Burn or Hot Feet.

EDIT: The panic check stuff makes sense and suggests they don't realise they're in a "this place sucks" patch, they just notice they're not hitting anymore. There's DEFINITELY a hard-coded effect where things inside most damage auras freak out and make a break for it, though.

spectralent fucked around with this message at 21:16 on May 31, 2019

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

The taunt prevents the panic effect AFAIK, so they'll keep swinging at you in that burn patch until they're nice and crispy.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

spectralent posted:

There's DEFINITELY a hard-coded effect where things inside most damage auras freak out and make a break for it, though.

Correct. Some patch powers had their hard-coded panic effect removed or adjusted at one point or another, I think. Impossible for me to remember exactly which ones though.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

had the idea to make this guy this morning & did because the name was available, but didn't have time to really play it, but now i think it's even better dang

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

spectralent posted:

My memory of it is that enemies sometimes run away if they realise they're in a bad spot (such as a ranged enemy in melee) or if they know they're standing in the fire (they're very likely to realise they're standing in the actual fires).

I think there are some other more general conditions as well, like annihilating a pack with one AOE making the remaining ones more likely to run away.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

John Murdoch posted:

Correct. Some patch powers had their hard-coded panic effect removed or adjusted at one point or another, I think. Impossible for me to remember exactly which ones though.

Burn is one of them, actually!

When they turned the panic off they revamped how the power did damage, though. A lot of it's frontloaded in a single initial pulse, so you can't ignore acc as much when you slot it.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Hakarne posted:

Also my staff/Nin Stalker is super fun but holy poo poo does he run out of end quickly

Is there some kind of general solution to this while leveling because it's my #1 annoyance and I can't remember if I used to just jam endurance reduction enhancements into poo poo out of spite or not.

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

Gynovore posted:

AS is so fast I'm thinking it's bugged. We're talking about 3/10 of a second here.

The animation for AS is pretty much as fast as Brawl if you're not Hidden. Even if you get it to crit with your Focus stacks though, it won't hit as hard as a long animation AS from Hidden though.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Are there other Stalker sets where bad gimmicks are removed?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Are there other Stalker sets where bad gimmicks are removed?

Elec, though not so much that it is a bad gimmick, but more that it removes a worthless ability and replaces it with AS. Gives it a nice strong ST chain and good AOE.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

How is dual blades as a stalker set?

I think I'm going to reroll my SJ/WP stalker into a scrapper because I just hate the endurance problems. Instead I'm looking at a DB/Bio stalker.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Cabbit posted:

Is there some kind of general solution to this while leveling because it's my #1 annoyance and I can't remember if I used to just jam endurance reduction enhancements into poo poo out of spite or not.

For the most part, three slot Stamina with endurance mod IOs, and maybe an end reduction IO in attacks and a couple per toggle depending on which exact power sets you're using. Sometimes you might want to leave toggles turned off if you don't expect to need them, also.

Alternately, buddy up with a friend that can give you recovery boosts.

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

buy a miracle +recovery & slot it into health

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

All stalkers are a bit end hungry now, it's the price you pay for the power to make whatever's in front of you instantly dissolve.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

tooterfish posted:

All stalkers are a bit end hungry now, it's the price you pay for the power to make whatever's in front of you instantly dissolve.

This is why I expect /Bio to be insane on a stalker.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Here's Serfs Up, a Staff/Willpower scrapper. Too bad staff isn't good on scrapper (apparently), but that's just in-character for a poor serf. I feel like this may have been someone else's idea in an old thread and it just bubbled up from my subconscious.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This is why I expect /Bio to be insane on a stalker.

I can confirm that it is awesome. It pretty much needs everything in the set, but so much ability to adjust what it gives me on the fly.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Yeah, I've got a Staff Scrapper and he feels very underwhelming as far as damage output goes.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

drat Dirty Ape posted:

How is dual blades as a stalker set?

I think I'm going to reroll my SJ/WP stalker into a scrapper because I just hate the endurance problems. Instead I'm looking at a DB/Bio stalker.

According to Tommy, secretly a beast, but the trick is you have to ignore combos.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jun 1, 2019

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

SwissArmyDruid posted:

According to Tommy, secretly a beast, but the trick is you have to ignore combos.

I'd love to hear about this, I need to make a DB scrapper again.

As for Staff Scrapper, i don't care if its suboptimal, it's fun. That's the most important factor.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Eeyo posted:

Here's Serfs Up, a Staff/Willpower scrapper. Too bad staff isn't good on scrapper (apparently), but that's just in-character for a poor serf. I feel like this may have been someone else's idea in an old thread and it just bubbled up from my subconscious.

He needs to hang out with my halberd guy Terrified Militiaman.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010
FWIW, my Staff/WP Brute seems just fine. I'm not really seeing the complaints. It's a really fun set to play.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Hunter Noventa posted:

I'd love to hear about this, I need to make a DB scrapper again.

As for Staff Scrapper, i don't care if its suboptimal, it's fun. That's the most important factor.

Uh, long and short of what he showed me was:

* Do not pick any of Nimble Slash, Placate, Vengeful Slice, or 1K Cuts
* Assassin's Mark goes into Power Slice
* Stalker's Guile goes into assassinate move.
* 6-slot build-up with five from the uncommon set, and the Gaussian proc for double build-up.
* Take Moonbeam to use with Build Up. Slotted thus, you should always have instant snipes.
* Do the other usual melee defense/resistance slotting stuff.
* +5 all purples and non-set IOs, catalyze non-purple sets.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jun 1, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Thundarr posted:

For the most part, three slot Stamina with endurance mod IOs, and maybe an end reduction IO in attacks and a couple per toggle depending on which exact power sets you're using. Sometimes you might want to leave toggles turned off if you don't expect to need them, also.

Admittedly I'm not an expert when it comes to the numbers side of things, but I've always worked under the assumption that end reduction in attacks is far more important than in toggles and even when you do slot for it in toggles they really only need a single one (with damage auras being a key exception, along with some other outliers).

Stalker Dual Blades combos are a little different due to the usual Stalker set differences and as a result are a bit strange. Two of them require Build Up -> Assassin's Strike. Sweep ends on a ST attack so enemies around you just randomly fall over. Weaken needs both cones and ends on 1k Cuts making it horribly cumbersome to use. The only one I remember using with any amount of regularity back in the day was the bleed because it's the only one that's usually accessible. By comparison I remember stringing together sweeps and bleeds all over the place on my DB/WP Scrapper and having a good time of it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

Admittedly I'm not an expert when it comes to the numbers side of things, but I've always worked under the assumption that end reduction in attacks is far more important than in toggles and even when you do slot for it in toggles they really only need a single one (with damage auras being a key exception, along with some other outliers).

toggles are just as important because they are a constant drain. if a personal toggle eats 0.5 end/sec or more you should usually slot it up for end reduction. debuff toggles and that sort of thing are usually a lesser priority

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
^^Normal defensive toggles cost way less end than that. Damage auras are 0.52/s which is why I singled them out. A bunch of various powerful debuff toggles cost the same, though I suppose you're not necessarily keeping them on at all times.

Actually, since we're on the subject and it's been gnawing at me for the last couple of days: What are ya'll's preferred way to slot out stuff while leveling? I know the endpoint most powers should be at and obviously endgame builds are their own thing, but what do you prioritize from let's say 1-30? Do you get your defenses kitted out ASAP? Do you go straight through 1 ACC -> 3 DMG -> whatever else on attacks?

I always find myself in odd places in the 20s where most of my slots are spent slowly filling out my damage because I've spent them on other stuff first and I never quite figured out if that's fine or I'm actually hurting myself because the extra DPS I'd get out of going damage first would negate any losses on survivability thanks to killing faster (and similarly save endurance because of the higher efficiency per point spent). Thoughts?

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jun 1, 2019

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
Can't wait for Tsurupettan to fill out that money making section because I'm gonna need some!!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

^^Normal defensive toggles cost way less end than that. Damage auras are 0.52/s which is why I singled them out. A bunch of various powerful debuff toggles cost the same, though I suppose you're not necessarily keeping them on at all times.

Actually, since we're on the subject and it's been gnawing at me for the last couple of days: What are ya'll's preferred way to slot out stuff while leveling? I know the endpoint most powers should be at and obviously endgame builds are their own thing, but what do you prioritize from let's say 1-30? Do you get your defenses kitted out ASAP? Do you go straight through 1 ACC -> 3 DMG -> whatever else on attacks?

I always find myself in odd places in the 20s where most of my slots are spent slowly filling out my damage because I've spent them on other stuff first and I never quite figured out if that's fine or I'm actually hurting myself because the extra DPS I'd get out of going damage first would negate any losses on survivability thanks to killing faster (and similarly save endurance because of the higher efficiency per point spent). Thoughts?

As someone playing brutes and melee DPS in general I usually go buff out my attacks to get accuracy and recharge to a tolerable level, maybe go for stamina but I tend to wait on my defensive toggles until later, maybe getting stamina 3 slotted by around 12 or so according to my endurance needs. I feel like I don't get enough difference out of the slots on Defensive stuff until around SO level enhancement or so, until that point they just get -end slapped on them.

I guess I make an exception for my Elec armor toon, that stuff adds up way fast.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Tommy 2.0 posted:

If TW doesn't gib it, it will be running the hell away after it gets up.

As for swords? Dual Blades, Katana, then....broad sword. Both DB and Kat are really really good numerically. BS is a pretty poor performer number wise.

War Mace is just bonkers numerically.

Axe is middling. Performs better than BS (not a high bar) but noticeably less performing than War Mace (even without numerical measurements).

TW
-
DB
Kat
WM
-
BA
-
-
-
BS
Staff Fighting (this is actually good on a stalker)

*You said martial so I included Staff.

Thanks Tommy, I tried out TW and haha its a bit bonkers on the damage and cleave.

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Jun 1, 2019

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
From reddit, holy gently caress:

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

I've always agreed with the idea of first slotting 2 Accs in your attacks, because doing any damage is preferable to missing, and that little bit of extra efficiency helps you to save on End. I don't worry about slotting defenses with anything other than End enhancements in the early part of the game. Almost every toon gets 3 slots in Stamina ASAP.

Even a Tanker shouldn't worry about slotting defenses early on. Attacks only.

clone on the phone posted:

Thanks Tommy, I tried out TW and haha its a bit bonkers on the damage and cleave.
Watch out on teams. You can sometimes feel like you're contributing nothing at all due to the animation speeds if everyone else has the spawn dead before your attack has even fired- that's how Posi 1 & 2 went for me. Got mine up to 29 running Synapse last night, and the animations were less of a problem than they were on my Posi runs. WP's Quick Recovery was a massive game changer for me.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

From reddit, holy gently caress:

MY LIFE FOR AIUR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
On the note of staff chat I really wish there were alternate animations where you're just like... hitting dudes with a staff and not doing whacky waving inflatable kung fu man stuff. Just like a pole arm equivalent of how other melee weapon sets animate.