Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Punching someone in the teeth with the mallet is pretty fun, and it's surprising how much some people will panic and not know what to do with you if you just rush them down with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

you take a step back is what you do. The hammers feel like they have shorter range than the fists lol

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Absolutely. Funnily enough fists can elicit a similar panic reaction once you get a hit or two in because some people don't know or can't process the fact they can parry you but you can't parry them. People in this game build up a strong instinct to hesitate whenever they sense danger, especially if it's something they didn't expect to be threatening like a guy with a mallet.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

timn posted:

Funnily enough fists can elicit a similar panic reaction once you get a hit or two in because some people don't know or can't process the fact they can parry you but you can't parry them.

I feel like one of us is really really confused here

EDIT: It was me, my brain had trouble parsing the "they" and the "you" correctly.

Nordick fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 31, 2019

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I made a battle axe viking type character, 2/2/1. First game and I already ended at the top of the scoreboard. It's a lot of fun. One habit I need to get rid of is trying to riposte stab all the time - it's effective for my estoc guy and even for my eveningstar character, but it's useless with a battle axe. It's only good for flinching people.

My weak point is combining the riposte slash with directional aiming, for some reason I have a lot of trouble riposte'ing from the left. Weirdly enough, I think it's I'm right-handed in real life. I love that that plays a role.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Nordick posted:

I feel like one of us is really really confused here

lol yeah. The thing with fists that catch people off guard is how fast they come out. A person sees a guy with no weapon and instantly tries to start swinging, repeatedly, only to get their head caved in with fists. If you stop for a second and parry their punch, you then have basically free reign to cut them down.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The big secret to punching is that when you know someone is smart enough to parry you can purposely throw a jab away from the parry and get a followup before they're able to parry again. If they don't block you can drag the jab into them and get the hit. Easiest way is to bait swings by dancing/dodging outside of their stab/swing range and going in hard when the attack whiffs.

Boxing is just all of the defensive stuff of Mordhau removed except for positioning, so if you learn to do that correctly and start running a 2:1 or 1:1 with your fists you can get a polearm/light armor character and really loving dominate with the lessons learned from running a lot of boxer builds.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

It's only good for flinching people.

On some weapons this is very important. On the 1h axe, which is quickly becoming my favorite weapon, that stab only does like 15 damage but it comes out super goddamn fast, and I use it to interrupt bigass drag swings and throw people's rhythms off. There's almost no downside to tossing it out at random.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
There should me a mutator that makes the game only punches and kicks but super exaggerated. I could do with some first person wushu fighting

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

There should me a mutator that makes the game only punches and kicks but super exaggerated. I could do with some first person wushu fighting

Fist of the Mord Star sounds like the best mode

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Dark Messiah of Mord and Haugic: Just kicks, and spike racks EVERYWHERE

EDIT: Also throwable barrels

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jtnsIjDGfY

adding a new video to the OP. time to get your learn on

lot of good poo poo in here, especially in the back half

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 1, 2019

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I want all the normal gamemodes to take place on horse field because I like it more than every other map.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Babe Magnet posted:

good poo poo

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

I want all the normal gamemodes to take place on horse field because I like it more than every other map.

it sucks that it's only a TDM meaning that the horses won't respawn until the match ends. Gimme FFA_Horsefield

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'd just like more maps that are pleasant open fields instead of muddy siegeworks.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

The first time that I've played and felt "ehhh" about the game. I think it might be getting stale.

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Glenn Quebec posted:

The first time that I've played and felt "ehhh" about the game. I think it might be getting stale.
Has been getting that way for me too.

Dead by Daylight is good for not getting stale easily for being 10 minute matches, not sure why.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Lack of maps and game modes tbh. The core game is great, I'd love an enhanced horde mode Or just more options to play with, like everyone starts with engineer kits, etc.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Topping the scoreboard and trolling chat will never get old. That said I can only play a few hours a day at max, so I only have 60 hours. People keep implying I must play too much, but the truth is my skills came from other games.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I'll admit that I played too much M&B & Chivalry and all that. I'm trying to damndest to play Mordhau too much but my life just ain't there yet

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

I like fighting 1 or 2 people and right as you are about to finish off one of them, a friendly horse comes by and hits you and flinches you out of your attack animation, and doesn't hit them and allows the enemy to lop off your head. Best stuff.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
the trick with fists is you're often faster to attack than nerdos with big swords so every time they go to swing, deck them in the chops. They either go full aggressive which means you'll be getting a lot of free hits as they try to get a swing off or they'll stop fighting because they know you're going to smack them if they raise their sword to swing so they wait to parry you so they can riposte your fist, which means its time to kick them in the ribs for their arrogance. Spice this up with dodge and the speed of being naked and brawling fists are very real weapons.

Glenn Quebec posted:

I agree, weirdly enough playing horde just makes me yearn for an rpg with mordhau combat.

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Jun 1, 2019

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Glenn Quebec posted:

Lack of maps and game modes tbh. The core game is great, I'd love an enhanced horde mode Or just more options to play with, like everyone starts with engineer kits, etc.

Horde mode is disappointing, I agree. It seems like you get overwhelmed by sheer numbers really quickly, before you even get the chance to buy decent gear, unless you cheese it.

It seems like a waste, since the AI is not even that bad. I think they should have a PvE mode with respawning where you have to complete certain objectives before the clock runs out, something like that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I really hope they come out with a proper duel mode soon because currently every single server running regular deathmatch, to the very last, is all about dueling instead of playing that actual game mode.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Weirdly enough I kinda feel like the weapon selection ended up feeling just a little bit homogeneous. By committing to a fairly simple damage and armour system (which does have a lot of advantages, mind) you end up in a situation where damage mostly only matters in the sense of "how many hits to kill", and the vast majority of weapons end up in the 3-hit range, with a couple of outliers in either direction. So within that context, what's left to distinguish weapons from one another is:
- Speed (which has pretty hard limits at either end before you end up breaking the mechanics)
- Reach (ditto)
- Whether it's good at swinging, stabbing, or both
- Headshot damage bonus
- Able to combo

While that does allow for a reasonable amount of variety, it already feels pretty saturated and a bit redundant. You end up with stuff where the main difference between options is like 50 ms windup speed, which at most skill levels will be a rather minor factor. It'd be nice if they were a bit more experimental and daring with weapon effects, particularly with the alt modes of some weapons. The billhook's pull-in effect and the warhammer's high-risk-high-reward headshot alt mode are actually pretty good steps in that direction, and some more of that could be good for the future.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

There's also whether you have to use 2 hands, stop-on-hit, wood damage, and point cost as significant factors. Maybe miss cost, stamina drain, and parry drain negation matter in duels where disarming becomes a major factor and having a backup weapon might matter a lot more?

There's a lot of variety w/ how the damage works. The hits to kill ranges from 1-4 on the head and body for viable weapon attacks, and weapon types are thematic in how well they do vs light and heavy armor. Leg damage might matter more as people start getting better at matrixing hit attempts with jumps and crouches instead of eating every single horizontal swing headshot attempt.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Looking at the parry drain negation for 2+ cost non-peasant weapons, it varies from 10 to 13. Only the rapier is 10, but some stuff like the spear is 11.

Stamina drain is 18 to 24. The vast majority of weapons are in the 18-19 range.

With how this system works, even a difference of 1 or 2 parry drain negation or stamina drain means you can eat 2-3 more parries than your opponent in a duel.

This is pretty subtle, and they could probably tweak numbers if they wanted to exaggerate it. It's probably fine as it is now.

Miss cost has a gigantic range from 6 for arming sword/falchion all the way to 11 for zweihander and 15-16 for bardiche/halberd.

One of the main things making the 1 point weapon tier awful is they have either really horrible parry drain negation or awful damage. Dagger, cleaver, and short sword have 6-7 parry drain negation!

comedyblissoption fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Jun 1, 2019

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Motherfucker posted:

the trick with fists is you're often faster to attack than nerdos with big swords so every time they go to swing, deck them in the chops. They either go full aggressive which means you'll be getting a lot of free hits as they try to get a swing off or they'll stop fighting because they know you're going to smack them if they raise their sword to swing so they wait to parry you so they can riposte your fist, which means its time to kick them in the ribs for their arrogance. Spice this up with dodge and the speed of being naked and brawling fists are very real weapons.

I agree, weirdly enough playing horde just makes me yearn for an rpg with mordhau combat.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/379430/Kingdom_Come_Deliverance/

Do you know about this? I didn't buy it yet but it caught my eye with a similar thought as you.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is a great game, but absolutely do not buy it for the combat if your tastes are anything like mine. What's great about Mordhau combat is that it's so freeform and fluid (:pcgaming:), meanwhile in Kingdom Come you get locked onto your opponent and there's a bunch of annoying mechanics that take control away from the player, like those godawful master strikes (unblockable counters from you or your AI opponent, triggered randomly in the latter case) or a clinching animation when you get too close.

As someone with a combined 2000+ hours in Chivalry, Warhammer: VT 2, and Mordhau, I give Kingdom Come's combat an official thumbs down. However, it's a fantastic RPG regardless, so if that aspect appeals to you you should still get it.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 1, 2019

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, Kingdom Come's combat is just unfortunate. The devs put a huge amount of effort into making sure that it's historical, and realistic, that the animations line up, etc. etc., and then they seemingly never got around to properly thinking about how the player would interact with it. They give you a fair bunch of things to do in combat, but as it turns out at the end of the day it's pretty much all random chance. Whether or not an attack lands or is parried depends entirely on your stats and the RNG. For the first few hours it's pretty fun while you get your bearings and play around with the tools you have, but at some point you'll notice that all those tools are fairly superfluous and for actually winning a fight there's not much more to do than stand there fishing for unblockable random masterstrikes and/or throwing out random attacks and hoping the RNG will let you get a hit in at some point.

Or you just take a bow and shoot everybody in the face before they get into melee. :getin:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Kingdom Come is very much Oblivion 2 with that unnecessarily over-complex combat mod (Deadly Combat?) that just makes playing the game a bizarre chore.

And when I say Oblivion I mean that very literally, the story quality and general jank of the game are almost exactly the same. It's like a trip back in time.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Are ripostes subject to clipping? I've been noticing today that people will swing right through the environment while I'm hitting it, and I think they are ripostes.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, Kingdom Come's combat is just unfortunate. The devs put a huge amount of effort into making sure that it's historical, and realistic,

And by this you mean that they claim that it's historical and realistic and under the slightest bit of actual historical scrutiny the entire thing falls apart as neither of these things.

This holds true for everything in Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Babe Magnet posted:

what sword is he using that gets that cool blade customization

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mighty Dicktron posted:

And by this you mean that they claim that it's historical and realistic and under the slightest bit of actual historical scrutiny the entire thing falls apart as neither of these things.

This holds true for everything in Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

Yeah, fair. More like "gives the appearance of being historical".

Also, I am now recalling that this was the same game that had actual sneak potions and a perk that made you sexier when you were unwashed, while going on and on about realism. :shepface:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Cowcaster posted:

what sword is he using that gets that cool blade customization

Longsword skin.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, fair. More like "gives the appearance of being historical".

Also, I am now recalling that this was the same game that had actual sneak potions and a perk that made you sexier when you were unwashed, while going on and on about realism. :shepface:

It's an interesting and unique game, and the fact that it uses a more grounded setting is a major part of that. Kingdom Come's problem is just that it's obviously impossible to be completely realistic, so you're left wondering why they made gameplay concessions in some cases and not in others. Why waste my time with this tedious nonsense x when you've simply abstracted y?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Phlegmish posted:

It's an interesting and unique game, and the fact that it uses a more grounded setting is a major part of that. Kingdom Come's problem is just that it's obviously impossible to be completely realistic, so you're left wondering why they made gameplay concessions in some cases and not in others. Why waste my time with this tedious nonsense x when you've simply abstracted y?

It's because the tedious/stupid/awful nonsense was what they wanted, and "historical realism" was an excuse. See also: basically all fiction that bills itself on "historical realism."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unfortunateson
Jan 29, 2010
Nkucygf wug aghast heph tlgy