Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

OhFunny posted:

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/20/dressbarn-is-going-out-of-business-to-shut-all-650-stores.html

Dressbarn has gone under and is closing all 650 of it's retail locations.

I remember driving by Dress Barn when I was a kid and thinking it was a terrible business strategy to imply your female customers were cows. I’m shocked it’s lasted this long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I remember driving by Dress Barn when I was a kid and thinking it was a terrible business strategy to imply your female customers were cows. I’m shocked it’s lasted this long.

:same:

Dukberry
Nov 5, 2013

I went into one a few years ago thinking I could find some Western or otherwise old fashioned dresses and was not particularly surprised to discover it was just another bland store with passable clothing for sightly more than they should cost. Maybe if they opened their stores in actual barns they'd get some ironic business.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It looks like the Arcadia group in the UK are in serious trouble. They're closing 30+ stores and trying to get a CVA to save the rest. They're also closing all the Topshops/Topman stores in the US.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

It was probably a mistake to only cater to doms.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Instead of bland they should have gone slutty. What I'm hearing is it was a bad idea to let the whores out of the barn.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Cross-post for peple that don't read USPOL

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Accretionist posted:

I once saw an $8 heirloom tomato and was like, "gently caress it, I'm going to find out."

Three things stood out:
  • Flavorful and delicious
  • Irregular internal structure
  • Soft and delicate.

In comparison, regular tomatoes are bland, crunchy bricks of scaffolding.

If they could fix tomatoes, it'd be a boon for GMO acceptance.

Modern home tomato growers grow even more delicious tomatoes than legacy breeds by selecting for at-home desirable characteristics rather than survives-transport/storage traits and you don’t have to say “heirloom”, a word no other vegetable prides itself on

“My yam tastes like the one my grandfather grew” says this guy, who probably smells quite ordinary

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

yeah i always find it funny how people who make a big deal about how much effort they put into finding the perfect tomatoes at farmers markets or whatever somehow decide to just forego the lower-effort solution of just planting some of their own (but maybe they live in a windowless room)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my dad spends an inordinate amount of
time fuckin around with growing old timey tomato breeds rather than new ones which aren’t ridiculous compromises, because of some weird notion that “back in the good old days” :rolleyes: well give back youtube then

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

the next time that he gets a bacterial infection just tell him to open an incision on his arm and start praying, just like they did in the good old days

and then replace his refrigerator with an actual icebox

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

serious gaylord posted:

It looks like the Arcadia group in the UK are in serious trouble. They're closing 30+ stores and trying to get a CVA to save the rest. They're also closing all the Topshops/Topman stores in the US.

phillip green is a sexual predator and all around rear end in a top hat, so good riddance.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

QuarkJets posted:

yeah i always find it funny how people who make a big deal about how much effort they put into finding the perfect tomatoes at farmers markets or whatever somehow decide to just forego the lower-effort solution of just planting some of their own (but maybe they live in a windowless room)

I have plenty of space for an earthbox or whatever, but my success rate for growing anything but the most unkillable plants is abysmal.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

I have plenty of space for an earthbox or whatever, but my success rate for growing anything but the most unkillable plants is abysmal.

And why is that?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

QuarkJets posted:

And why is that?

I'm going to guess they'll freely admit to being terrible at gardening? Most people are.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

QuarkJets posted:

And why is that?

Well an Earthbox is supposed to be self sustaining if you keep it full of water. But everything died instead. Even the zucchini.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

Well an Earthbox is supposed to be self sustaining if you keep it full of water. But everything died instead. Even the zucchini.

Mother of god.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

Did you keep it full of water or brawndo?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Like, there's a reason there's a running joke about how you realise you're not a young man anymore when you're actually capable of keeping a plant alive.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ryonguy posted:

Mother of god.

I know, right?!

QuarkJets posted:

Did you keep it full of water or brawndo?

Straight from the hose. (Water)

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Like, there's a reason there's a running joke about how you realise you're not a young man anymore when you're actually capable of keeping a plant alive.

All the plants we have now survived our 5 week vacation/work conferences trip, so I think we're good.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Beachcomber posted:

Straight from the hose. (Water)

Water? Like in the toilet?

Try using Brawndo next time, it has the electrolytes that plants crave

MixMastaTJ
Dec 14, 2017

Tornado hit my town while at work. First, they issue the warning to last about an hour. Naturally, sirens go off, they page overhead everyone to the safe place. After about 15 minutes, sirens still going of, warning still very much in effect, management gets an email from corporate saying all clear. Sirens are still going going off and county emergency services very much have NOT issued an all clear. So management starts trying to get all the employees back to their work, paging for help in all the different areas as we all refuse to go back out until the county issues an all clear.

As the manager starts explaining how there's no threat, trust corporate, you gotta get back to work, everyone's phones start going off as the warning gets escalated to an emergency. Shortly after, 2 mile wide tornado, moving 30 mph touched down within a mile of us.

No structural damage to the store but several nearby homes got totally destroyed. I'm still just dumbfounded how they would actually take the expertise of corporate headquarters, several states away, over the NWS.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Who is the company's insurer? You could anonymously send them that information if it's documented. Are they dumb enough to have done any of this by email or in writing?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://twitter.com/businessinsider/status/1134167595341492224?s=19

Mineaiki
Nov 20, 2013

It takes a special kind of mindlessness to buy into the idea that your vastly better-paid superiors are really intellectually more powerful than you, and that is exactly the kind of stupid that would make you believe they know more about tornadoes than meteorologists.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It wouldn't be that. It be fear.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

MixMastaTJ posted:

As the manager starts explaining how there's no threat, trust corporate, you gotta get back to work, everyone's phones start going off as the warning gets escalated to an emergency. Shortly after, 2 mile wide tornado, moving 30 mph touched down within a mile of us.

No structural damage to the store but several nearby homes got totally destroyed. I'm still just dumbfounded how they would actually take the expertise of corporate headquarters, several states away, over the NWS.

Do you work for Cloud 9?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Let's not forget that officials in 2 WTC told people to go back to their desks.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

MixMastaTJ posted:

Gonna say this has more to do with normalcy bias than any kind of unwavering trust in corporate. Odds are that your manager just wasn't mentally prepared to accept the idea that an emergency was actually happening, like, right now.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Golbez posted:

That was because everybody expected the first crash was some sort of horrible accident, not intentional, was it not? It is something of a special circumstance.

And then even after second crash occurs, there was half a tower of people who were hosed from being in floors above impact, but would also not have made it down past the next impact floors in time in any cases.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

"the tower right next to ours has suffered from an enormous explosion, better not let anyone leave"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Golbez posted:

That wasn't like, bosses telling people to go back to work, that was the building security telling people to not go outside where stuff was falling down. No one at the time expected the whole building to collapse.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Why am I not surprised it's those two Kramering up to defend condemning a bunch of office workers to die.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean, I wouldn't exactly blame people too much for making what may have seemed like a sensible decision in the middle of a crisis that turned out to be wrong. Mass panic can cause more damage than a disaster itself.

nepetaMisekiryoiki
Jun 13, 2018

人造人間集中する碇

Liquid Communism posted:

Why am I not surprised it's those two Kramering up to defend condemning a bunch of office workers to die.

Do you also complain about all the other nearby buildings who didn't order the occupants out immediately after first impact? You need to be real here, waiting to organize an orderly evacuation after what seems to be an accidental disaster is standard procedure for office buildings, especially 100+ storey super-towers.

There is also whole matter that there is only 17 minutes between attack impacts, and there was surely a lot of time that had to be waited before building-wide orders could be issued. This is frankly on all levels no sensible comparison to things like a much more predictable weather emergency where there are clear guidelines on what areas are expected to be immediately dangerous.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Liquid Communism posted:

There are more than enough capitalism horror stories that you shouldn't be feeling the need to have the dumbest take on a situation.

Like, a few people got thrust into a terrible situation with basically no precedent and made a decision based on ensuring safety for their occupants and access to the south tower for first responders. It's kinda hosed to Monday morning quarterback that situation 18 years later.

e: f, b

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Liquid Communism posted:

In the event of an emergency, you absolutly don't jam up the stairs and streets outside with thousands of people for no good reason. They made the correct decision with the info they had at the time.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Liquid Communism posted:

People standing outside died too! No one knew what was going to happen. It wasn’t capitalism ordering people to work, it was people not knowing where was safe places.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

People standing outside died too! No one knew what was going to happen. It wasn’t capitalism ordering people to work, it was people not knowing where was safe places.

I mean I'm sure there was a fair bit of that, but it doesn't really matter too much in a scenario where you have few to no good options and no way to know what the good options actually were without the benefit of hindsight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That wasn't like, bosses telling people to go back to work, that was the building security telling people to not go outside where stuff was falling down. No one at the time expected the whole building to collapse.

Except, of course, for W, Cheney, Rumsfeld, and Wolfowitz