Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

caberham posted:

If you find japan too crowded then stay away from south east Asia or india

Way ahead of you there chief.

Zero interest in SE Asia or India

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

For the record, Dendentown is just the same but smaller and sadder.

All I saw of dendentown was a giant yaoi shop my wife dragged me into

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Stringent posted:

Do you have hobbies?

No. Only addictions.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Martytoof posted:

Way ahead of you there chief.

Zero interest in SE Asia or India

You should visit China, it isn't crowded at all.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

zmcnulty posted:

No. Only addictions.

Same difference.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Stringent posted:

You should visit China, it isn't crowded at all.

Likely, because they're all busy being tourists in Akihabara

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Mainline the kakigori straight into my veins

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
dendentown is good
akiba is a tourist trap

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
I just want to reiterate because of all the bad advice I got from this thread: if you actually enjoy stuff like figures, doujinshis, basically any anime and manga fandom poo poo, Akiba is not just a tourist trap and you'd be making a huge mistake (like I did on my last trip) in not planning at least an entire day of shopping there.

If you don't have those hobbies, do skip it. But if you're of Bloodnose persuasion, make the trip to Akihabara and have yourself a damned good time and don't listen to the people who really really want you to know seriously guys they don't like anime.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
you know i do like those things though

imo akib isn't worth the effort

there's no thrill in the hunt there

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Alternately: Don't skip it and go see a valid part of Tokyo tourism and make up your own mind if you enjoy it or not.

If you don't enjoy it then leave and don't come back :)

Just because I hate going there doesn't mean that there aren't people for whom it isn't an awesome experience, even if there's no way I can fathom how that could be true :haw:

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

fair!

i just don't like things aimed at foreign tourists in general

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh I wasn't trying to aim that at you specifically, I also said that it's a tourist deathtrap, but then I realized that people should probably make up their mind.

I also hated going to Senso-Ji but all said and done I'm glad I did. I ended up going late in the evening again just to wander around after the crowds GTFO and it was much nicer.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

i know. i just figured that i should be more fair about my position.

i was ok with senso-ji because i really like temples and shrines and that's a biggun

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Bloodnose posted:

I just want to reiterate because of all the bad advice I got from this thread: if you actually enjoy stuff like figures, doujinshis, basically any anime and manga fandom poo poo, Akiba is not just a tourist trap and you'd be making a huge mistake (like I did on my last trip) in not planning at least an entire day of shopping there.

If you don't have those hobbies, do skip it. But if you're of Bloodnose persuasion, make the trip to Akihabara and have yourself a damned good time and don't listen to the people who really really want you to know seriously guys they don't like anime.

it’s been a long and strange path learning that the China goons are better than the japan goons lol

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

The Great Autismo! posted:

it’s been a long and strange path learning that the China goons are better than the japan goons lol

I told you this repeatedly.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Okay, which one of you is the guy on the Japan Travel reddit looking for XXL shirts in Akihabara.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
There but for the grace of God go I.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I'm not really into anime and I like akihabara because there are a few really good stores there related to my own hobby. BEEP was already mentioned (oh no someone found a gross titty game there! better not go to any video game store in japan, ever), the suruga-ya game shop right next to BEEP, and KVCLab and Keden no Kenchan. also MAK, G-front, HEY and natsuge museum. Yes the main drag is tacky and stupid and full of tourist traps, but it's just some dumb bullshit you walk past to get to the cool places. though if you don't have a hobby that has a ton of representation in akiba there is seriously zero reason to go there, not even for the "experience". There is no experience, it's a bunch of stores to conduct business in, go to tokyo tower or some poo poo instead.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
Akihabara was meh

Nakano Broadway was dope

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stringent posted:

I didn’t want to believe it

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
akihabara is good for people who like anime and people who like to laugh at anime. if neither interest you then yeah it's not worth going.

Edit: Also the sex shop on the main street. You can go for that.

Zettace fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 1, 2019

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Martytoof posted:

Likely, because they're all busy being tourists in Akihabara

Thirty loving years ago

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
I honestly didn't hear any Mandarin in Akihabara last trip, nor did I see any luxury goods stores. It was sakura time too so they should've been around. But maybe it's because I was laser focused on:

• Mandarake
  • Amiami
  • Animate
  • Gamers
  • Melonbooks
  • Kotobukiya
  • Lashinbang
  • Toranoana
  • Another Amiami
  • Another Melonbooks
  • All the other places I didn't have enough time to hit up because I only gave myself 5 hours, thinking Akihabara was a bunch of Chinese-speaking luxury goods outlets.
There's a lot!!
But echoing what others have said, none of this is tourist attractions. It's all just shopping that's not going to be even the slightest bit interesting if you don't know what the stuff is.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Actually that's not true I heard some Mandarin in Mandarake. There were 3 dudes with central plain accents looking at Marvel figurines.

In the same Mandarake there was also a Cantonese lady who must've been like 50 asking about Love Live! figures that I'm still not sure if they were for her or a gift.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Last time I was in Akihabara it was literally just mainlanders. The PA announcements in places like Yodobashi Camera were only Mandarin. It's the most Chinese place I've been in Japan, more than even the shopping streets around Dotonbori.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Bloodnose posted:

I honestly didn't hear any Mandarin in Akihabara last trip, nor did I see any luxury goods stores. It was sakura time too so they should've been around.

They were all in Kyoto and Shinjuku Gyoen.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Stringent posted:

TGA: “China goons are incredibly racist compared to Japan goons”

Also TGA: “I love China goons”

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Did find some neat gifts for people and me and the wife played some gun and rythmn games so Akihabara isn't all poo poo.

Please I visibly upset a salaryman by whooping his rear end at Tekken, so thats a life goal achievement

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
The main street in akiba is also seriously overpriced. Stick to the side roads and the smaller shops for the best deals.

Also make sure to check book offs. They can have some good 2nd hand games, art books, manga and consoles for decent prices.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I was in akihabara last summer and there were a ton of mainlanders there, that's my personal experience

LimburgLimbo posted:

TGA: “China goons are incredibly racist compared to Japan goons”

????

edit: why would I ever say that, the majority of them are my friends. china threads get blow-by meltdowns every few months but those aren't china goons? please, uh, source your quotes

The Great Autismo! fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 1, 2019

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
is this like when you booted me out of the LINE chat because someone else said that I did something I didn't say or do and you just gave me the ax, because that's what it feels like. I'm kinda getting the feeling you don't like me, lol

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Archer666 posted:

The main street in akiba is also seriously overpriced. Stick to the side roads and the smaller shops for the best deals.

Also make sure to check book offs. They can have some good 2nd hand games, art books, manga and consoles for decent prices.

The book off in akiba is smart enough to still sell at ripoff prices, if you're looking for old games there's one in gakugei daigaku that sells cheap stuff. I got Panzer Dragoon 1&2 for 400 yen total the other day, which is a good deal. Bookoff doesn't seem to use a price list for specific games and I'm guessing it's just up to a particular store's staff to set the prices. They went way up since the beginning of the decade but you can still find cheap stuff if you know which specific store to look for.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

The book off in akiba is smart enough to still sell at ripoff prices, if you're looking for old games there's one in gakugei daigaku that sells cheap stuff. I got Panzer Dragoon 1&2 for 400 yen total the other day, which is a good deal. Bookoff doesn't seem to use a price list for specific games and I'm guessing it's just up to a particular store's staff to set the prices. They went way up since the beginning of the decade but you can still find cheap stuff if you know which specific store to look for.

oh yeah Book-Offs are good but you kind of have to find a good one and then never tell anyone about it, otherwise it'll get cleaned out. it's also fun to see the expat-heavier area Book-Offs get loaded down with English books and Xbox 360 games.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Okay I take it back about Akihabara, compared to Shinjuku it's a tranquil paradise.

OTOH got some fantastic noodles, art supplies, and only one minor crowd induced panic attack from Mrs Spuck

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

edit: why would I ever say that, the majority of them are my friends. china threads get blow-by meltdowns every few months but those aren't china goons? please, uh, source your quotes

You said that in Line. Something about China chat being all or largely "race-baiting".

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Mr. Fix It posted:

You said that in Line. Something about China chat being all or largely "race-baiting".

Yeah man, you totally said something I can't remember but someone told me it was racist so like, check yourself before you wreck yourself ok?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Stringent posted:

Yeah man, you totally said something I can't remember but someone told me it was racist so like, check yourself before you wreck yourself ok?

you won't even remember posting this when you sober up sometime in the middle of the week

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
We’re planning an overnight trip from Osaka to spend a night in Iya Valley with a stop over at the Naruto whirlpools on the way. Are we better off getting trains to Naruto and renting a car there, or just renting a car in Osaka and driving the whole thing?

Our driver ideally doesn’t wanna drive more than she has to but thought it’d be best to check first what the options are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
driving in osaka legit sucks because the organization and driving layout and one lane roads are awful.

driving in tokyo is actually less stressful than driving in osaka

basically osaka sucks ok