Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
The first level of Auspex, Heightened Senses, obviates the need for glasses. Of course individual vampires may have their own reasons to wear them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pope Guilty posted:

The first level of Auspex, Heightened Senses, obviates the need for glasses. Of course individual vampires may have their own reasons to wear them.

Auspex was low-key one of the most powerful disciplines in oWoD.

By the way, reading through the nWoD I actually like a ton of what they've done but I'm not loving Beast and I wonder who it was written for.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Zeroisanumber posted:

By the way, reading through the nWoD I actually like a ton of what they've done but I'm not loving Beast and I wonder who it was written for.

We all wonder that and we all fear the answer.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

LatwPIAT posted:

We all wonder that and we all fear the answer.

I'm even trying to picture how they fit in with the social ecosystem of the nWoD and I'm not getting a clear picture. Even Prometheans have a better defined role.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
My homebrew Highlander characters that I ported to Vampire back when I was 14 make more sense.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

That's what's so bizarre about it. Beasts seem to have no niche, role, or purpose. No themes that other games don't already address. No high concept. No pop-culture horror genre to draw on. There's just... nothing. It's perplexing that this idea ever got farther than idle musing, because there's no substance to it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

LatwPIAT posted:

That's what's so bizarre about it. Beasts seem to have no niche, role, or purpose. No themes that other games don't already address. No high concept. No pop-culture horror genre to draw on. There's just... nothing. It's perplexing that this idea ever got farther than idle musing, because there's no substance to it.

I'm not completely convinced by this. The idea of dragons - and more high fantasy creatures generally - seemed like an interesting niche. Sure, there was always going to be some overlap with other game lines (once you get past vampires, werewolves, mages, fairies, ghosts, Frankensteins, mummies, and the people that hunt them, most pop-culture horror genres are tapped), but something along the lines of OWoD Mage (i.e., these beings are being forced into roles by the fact that pop culture wants to put them in these roles, and the roles are both the source of your power and the source of your destruction) seemed interesting.

...I was envisioning something like the Indexing series by Seanan McGuire, which focuses on the "X-Files, but for fairy tales" division:

quote:

For most people, the story of their lives is just that: the accumulation of time, encounters, and actions into a cohesive whole. But for an unfortunate few, that day-to-day existence is affected—perhaps infected is a better word—by memetic incursion: where fairy tale narratives become reality, often with disastrous results.

That's where the ATI Management Bureau steps in, an organization tasked with protecting the world from fairy tales, even while most of their agents are struggling to keep their own fantastic archetypes from taking over their lives. When you're dealing with storybook narratives in the real world, it doesn't matter if you're Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, or the Wicked Queen: no one gets a happily ever after.
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/17907054-indexing

Sure, the themes overlap, but because these are classic stories and themes. How you get there is part of the process.

...now, I understand from this thread that Beast missed those marks so far it can't even see the target from where it hit, but c'est la vie.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Zeroisanumber posted:

This is an extremely polite response to reading NWoD and then coming across beast.

A very disciplined response.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Austria felix nube posted:

Can you tell us why did they make the Strix?

(I'm curious because that's what made me regret buying a print copy of Requiem and made me appreciate Masquerade again. That bird-skull thing with hand prints? Hideous. That stuff single-handedly (heh) made me decide to never touch a CoD book ever again.)

Can you... run this by us again? I’m interested in aesthetic critiques of the physical art of these books in print, but I don’t really understanding what you found repulsive about the book?

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

Yeah the "they suck because we really, really suck" aspect of it is cool.

Meanwhile, and don't get me wrong I love the idigam to death for Werewolf, but the other day came to the realization that the idigam are literally the "moon's haunted" tweet as an antagonist faction.

Isn't it not just that the moon's haunted, but that the moon may have deliberately haunted itself with them?

It's layers on layers of ridiculousness. :allears:

ulmont posted:

I'm not completely convinced by this. The idea of dragons - and more high fantasy creatures generally - seemed like an interesting niche. Sure, there was always going to be some overlap with other game lines (once you get past vampires, werewolves, mages, fairies, ghosts, Frankensteins, mummies, and the people that hunt them, most pop-culture horror genres are tapped), but something along the lines of OWoD Mage (i.e., these beings are being forced into roles by the fact that pop culture wants to put them in these roles, and the roles are both the source of your power and the source of your destruction) seemed interesting.

I mean, you can have dragons and such pretty easily without including Beast's sicko abuse apologia take on them. Changeling had a version of them in the form of a kith, I believe. Heck, Changeling is pretty much "here's some old timey tales and fantastic things in a modern context".txt in that regard. 1e Changeling had a neat take on the True Fae and how they interacted with stories too. So they had that niche covered if someone wanted to explore it.

And knowing the community i'm sure someone has not only designed a fan game for dragons but also pointed out that they'd also make for a pretty neat sort of ultra-rare shapeshifter like those pride ridden minotaurs, the Dagon/Innsmouth-esque knockoffs, or the other types of creatures similar to werewolves that don't take center stage in the books. So it's not like you couldn't house rule something if you didn't like the take presented in the games available. About the only thing you lose by throwing Beast out the window is the skeevy undertones and nasty history that come with it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 31, 2019

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Archonex posted:

Isn't it not just that the moon's haunted, but that the moon may have deliberately haunted itself with them?

It's layers on layers of ridiculousness. :allears:

I really like that Luna stuck a bunch of weird jerks on the moon where they wouldn't cause problems. Spirits of concepts that don't exist who are upset about spending so much time in Moon-Jail was definitely a pleasant surprise in 2nd edition

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

And then people went to the moon and hosed it all up, of course. How could anyone expect that? Why would spirits expect anyone to go to the moon? There's nothing on the moon to eat.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Actually, let me amend my previous post.

There is one thing that I feel is without a doubt good about Beast. And it has pretty much nothing to do with Beast's themselves, save for wanting them all dead for being abusive motherfuckers. It's Yuri's Group.

The idea that instead of going all Rambo on the monsters and ignoring their victims a bunch of people would sit down, analyze the situation rationally, therapeutically seek to provide support for those hurt by them, and then on top of that develop coping strategies that work for the monsters to help minimize the damage they do is pure loving genius as both a narrative and thematic thing.

It even doubles as undermining the pretensions of some of the nastiest parts of Vampire's political groups/support groups. Since both they and the whole "A beast I am, lest a beast I become" thing loses a bit of it's punch if there's a bunch of doctors and patients that can sit down with you every week or so in an actually healthy support group and talk you down from doing altogether stupid or evil things.

I mean, when you think about it not everyone's gonna be out for revenge or to kill all the monsters all WH40K Inquisitor style. Nor are they going to try to scientifically explain the problem and gently caress that up as groups like the Talbot Group or others do. Having one undeniably good group of people that seem to really know their stuff (to the point where they can literally help vampires to not frenzy or degenerate) and apply it reasonably without making a bunch of idiotic/mistaken assumptions was a breath of fresh air and something I didn't know would be useful for a game until I read the details behind it.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 13:46 on May 31, 2019

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Archonex posted:

There is one thing that I feel is without a doubt good about Beast. And it has pretty much nothing to do with Beast's themselves, save for wanting them all dead for being abusive motherfuckers. It's Yuri's Group.

The idea that instead of going all Rambo on the monsters and ignoring their victims a bunch of people would sit down, analyze the situation rationally, therapeutically seek to provide support for those hurt by them, and then on top of that develop coping strategies that work for the monsters to help minimize the damage they do is pure loving genius as both a narrative and thematic thing.

It even doubles as undermining the pretensions of some of the nastiest parts of Vampire's political groups/support groups. Since the whole "A beast I am, lest a beast I become" thing loses a bit of it's punch if there's a bunch of doctors and patients that can sit down with you every week or so in an actually healthy support group and talk you down from doing altogether stupid or evil things.

I mean, when you think about it not everyone's gonna be out for revenge or to kill all the monsters all WH40K Inquisitor style. Nor are they going to try to scientifically explain the problem and gently caress that up as groups like the Talbot Group or others do. Having one undeniably good group of people that seem to really know their stuff (to the point where they can literally help vampires to not frenzy or degenerate) and apply it reasonably without making a bunch of idiotic/mistaken assumptions was a breath of fresh air and something I didn't know would be useful for a game until I read the details behind it.

It's a really weird and good niche that seems obvious in hindsight, but wouldn't immediately come up as something to use in play. It's such a stark contrast to the darkness in WoD because it's so positive.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Archonex posted:

It even doubles as undermining the pretensions of some of the nastiest parts of Vampire's political groups/support groups. Since both they and the whole "A beast I am, lest a beast I become" thing loses a bit of it's punch if there's a bunch of doctors and patients that can sit down with you every week or so in an actually healthy support group and talk you down from doing altogether stupid or evil things.

The early books written in ignorance of Matt's retcons to make the Beasts perpetually good and justified are all of at least decent quality.

Over half the stories in Primordial Dream are about how Beasts are monsters, and much of what they do is coping mechanisms to hide that fact from themselves. And ignoring the last chapter of Conquering Heroes. Most of the Hero characters are all about how Beasts profoundly hosed up their lives and they do that they do to help other people. And several of the Beasts are examples of what happens when you take the "We are justified in our hunger" narrative to it's logic conclusion.

Of course the "suggested ways the players can interact with these people" side bars also undermine the premise.. but beggars can't be choosers.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I really enjoy that idea of Yuri's Group. Not only does it make sense, but it also makes the monsters that are being played just a little bit more monstrous.

One of my favorite character concepts that I've ever run across (from someone who occasionally reads this thread) was an Arrow psychologist who helped mages with PTSD and other psychological ailments. So good that I used that character (as best as I can) as an NPC in my game because they asked for a priest or some other mage that would treat their psychological problem as a real thing and not just be an rear end in a top hat to them about it.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Zeroisanumber posted:

The one thing that kinda makes sense to me is that, every Subtle Arcana had an associated splat that was partially human. Werewolves are humans with a bit of Spirit, changelings are humans with some Fate added, the Bound are people with Death elementals inside. Even Prometheans are inanimate matter stuffed with Prime to look like humans. In that context, things that are horrific nightmares from Astral trapped in human body fit. Even their tendency to abuse ostensibly to teach lessons is not weird in this context: that's what Pandemonium does to the mages that visit it. It seems obvious that's what Mind half-elementals would also try to do.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

In theory, such a mage could go into a patient's mind and destroy PTSD's goetic form.

I'm sure this would have no consequences and is perfectly healthy.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Xelkelvos posted:

It's a really weird and good niche that seems obvious in hindsight, but wouldn't immediately come up as something to use in play. It's such a stark contrast to the darkness in WoD because it's so positive.

Yeah. Working in the concept of "doctors that will do their damnedest to help you but will straight up butcher you if you're a legit monster that gets off on hurting people" is kinda hard given their main specialties. But on the other hand, just having it in the lore pretty much changes up the tone of a bunch of the monster lines. It really makes the willing monsters seem that much more monstrous when there's a group of people with verifiable results out there that not only help their victim's put their lives back together but can teach the antagonists ways to suppress their worst impulses.

If you were running a social chronicle I could see it working though. Or I could see it being a chronicle where they bring in security to fend off _____ rear end in a top hat/threat to protect their patients on both sides of the line. Just to go with Vampire again, I could also see an organization like the Lancaea et Sanctum doing their damndest to wipe them out so they can keep their stranglehold on the populace. The Lancaea et Sanctum looks a hell of a lot less justified when the things that make vampires monsters can be treatable on one level of another.

And the Invictus would probably freak the gently caress out the moment they realized groups like that exist. I'm imagining them realizing that there is a treatment group full of former ghouls/blood dolls/whatever and just going scorched earth to wipe it out. Especially if it contained escapees/their own victims.

You'd probably have to wait until your group was familiar with the setting to introduce them though. A big part of the narrative impact of Yuri's Group comes from the fact that they're remarkably sane about the whole "Well, monsters exist!" thing compared to a lot of the other groups in the setting. Take the Abbey, for example.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 31, 2019

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

In theory, such a mage could go into a patient's mind and destroy PTSD's goetic form.

I'm sure this would have no consequences and is perfectly healthy.

They could indeed do that. No issues could ever arise from rummaging around in someone else’s mind. Nope, not at all.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Jhet posted:

They could indeed do that. No issues could ever arise from rummaging around in someone else’s mind. Nope, not at all.

And never mind what you'd find in there. At least in 1e it was entirely possible for other game lines to straight up visit the mind of other beings through their dreams. For instance, changeling's had at least one or two kith's that let you do that. I think there were even mechanics for some sort of dream riding thing too.

Imagine some mage going into someone's head and not realizing that no, the "goetic demon" is in fact a part-human entity that absolutely does not play by your rules and wants to know why you're mucking about with a free willed person's mind. Nor does it want to have a debate about the nature of reality or whatever the gently caress the PC's want to do.

Also, since one of the kith's that lets you easily gently caress around with dreams happens to be succubi they probably look at least a little like actual no poo poo demons just to gently caress with your own perceptions of reality and what's true. Which probably is not going to lead to good things happening for the general sanity of the mage. Or aid in any future assumptions that the mage is liable to make going forwards for that matter.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 17:44 on May 31, 2019

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Thinking about the secret courts that VASCU had for monsters, just as they'd have investigators and experts on the supernatural to determine what monster did what and get the evidence to prove it, I imagine there's also specialized defense experts and attorneys doing the same thing.

Imagine trying to prove that a witness saw a Beast kith rather than a werewolf or a Demon undermining their own defense as it would blow their cover

nofather
Aug 15, 2014
Their 'secret court' is more just the head of VASCU convincing the FBI and Supreme Court that so-and-so must be locked up in their special prison, with a small rider to the Patriot Act offering the ability to avoid normal trials. Apparently back when they were just involved with 'normal' serial killer trials, at least one suspected murderer burst into flames upon being touched by sunlight.

'Though the Unit incarcerated a small number of slashers throughout the late 1990s, a rider on the 2001 USA-PATRIOT act allows for the unconditional and unlimited imprisonment of serial killers who present a clear and present danger to human life and who are not able to stand trial for whatever reason.'

As fun as it would be, it's less Night Court and more black helicopters taking unknown individuals with bags over their heads to a secret location where they will never be seen or heard from again. 'Many' VASCU agents don't like being part of this process.

nofather fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 31, 2019

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I mean, the two can coexist, depending on how your table defines the ability to stand trial and how much Night Court you want. And how much leeway you think the Supreme Court is gonna give.

Five Eyes
Oct 26, 2017
My partner's VASCU pitch was "Jason Voorhees is in custody but it's become apparent that the murder you thought he could be solidly convicted of was actually one of the ones committed by his mother, and your deputy director has lit a fire under your rear end to firm up the evidence for some of the other charges before the whole case collapses."

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Zeroisanumber posted:

I'm even trying to picture how they fit in with the social ecosystem of the nWoD and I'm not getting a clear picture. Even Prometheans have a better defined role.

Beasts are antisocial shitbags who make everyone's life miserable, and they're supposed to be manifestations of fairy tale monsters or something, even though Changeling exists and The Scarecrow Ministry and even the Gentry are a thing.

Beast should've just been an antagonist splatbook for Changeling called Ogre: The Shrekoning, because Beasts make more sense as loose cannon asswipes or fae too hosed up from their durance that they were never able to reintegrate into human society in any fashion, so they basically become the faerie version of Slashers.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Someone ages ago pointed out that being a Beast feels like it's the failure state for another splat. I mean, look at Beast's pitch: an ancient, primal, horrible monster thing has eaten your soul and now you have to go out and commit atrocities or it'll do it on its own and maybe be worse. That doesn't feel too far from some of the worst case abyssal legacies in Mage.

Hell, it's pretty drat similar to Vampire, and that was a game where the baseline drama is "You've become a monster that must feed on humans, now what?"

Also I remember yet another person describing Beast's mechanics less as "you have a dragon for a soul" and more like you're stuck having to take care of an rear end in a top hat cat that eats torture.

Axelgear
Oct 13, 2011

If I'm wrong, please don't hesitate to tell me. It happens pretty often and I will try to change my opinion if I'm presented with evidence.

Xelkelvos posted:

I think a part of why it's so weird is that monsters in CofD tend to think their poo poo doesn't stink, so to speak. Vampires, for all their talk of tear-stained immortality, see themselves far more often than not as solitary alpha predators, preying on the herd of common humanity. Werewolves kill as a matter of course, and are immersed in a culture where following one's nature without moral implications is not only normal but accepted. Mages outright have cults dedicated to how awesome being an obsessive weirdo is.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Omnicrom posted:

Also I remember yet another person describing Beast's mechanics less as "you have a dragon for a soul" and more like you're stuck having to take care of an rear end in a top hat cat that eats torture.

That's basically Geist, at least v1.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS

Omnicrom posted:

Someone ages ago pointed out that being a Beast feels like it's the failure state for another splat. I mean, look at Beast's pitch: an ancient, primal, horrible monster thing has eaten your soul and now you have to go out and commit atrocities or it'll do it on its own and maybe be worse. That doesn't feel too far from some of the worst case abyssal legacies in Mage.

Hell, it's pretty drat similar to Vampire, and that was a game where the baseline drama is "You've become a monster that must feed on humans, now what?"

There's a game called Better Angels that plays around with this idea in that you're inhabited by a demon that gives you super powers. It works in that context because it presumes the demons are kind of dumb and hyperfocused on the trappings of evil, so if you put on a good show of villainy that leaves convenient supervillain tropes lying around for the heroes to exploit, it won't realize you're taking a dive and letting the good guys win. Not so much in Beast, though I could potentially see a route to a more serious version of Better Angels that might fit the mood of the nWoD.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
Beast was made to pander to:

1. rapists.

2. Otherkin.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Silhouette posted:

Beasts are antisocial shitbags who make everyone's life miserable, and they're supposed to be manifestations of fairy tale monsters or something, even though Changeling exists and The Scarecrow Ministry and even the Gentry are a thing.

Beast should've just been an antagonist splatbook for Changeling called Ogre: The Shrekoning, because Beasts make more sense as loose cannon asswipes or fae too hosed up from their durance that they were never able to reintegrate into human society in any fashion, so they basically become the faerie version of Slashers.

I had thought about saying something along the lines of 'given how much Beast stole from Changeling, they might as well have just made them a lovely sub-sect of the Lost', but didn't quite feel I had a cohesive enough statement in mind and stayed silent.

Basically, your post said more or less what I'd been thinking. :yeah:

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-01/renovator-finds-grave-markers-in-her-bathroom/11169064 Call the geists.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Jhet posted:

There are several video games of reasonable popularity where the premise could be summarized as "you go whup up on someone's inner darkness and at least weaken it enough for recovery to become possible."

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Nessus posted:

There are several video games of reasonable popularity where the premise could be summarized as "you go whup up on someone's inner darkness and at least weaken it enough for recovery to become possible."

~Dominatrix Bananahead~

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

Pretty sure that was me. Part of it was what you said. The other half was that unlike other splats the early drafts people on here were posting about appeared to have literally no ending state that didn't basically boil down to increasingly horrifying ways of saying "You're hosed forever chum!" in one nightmarish way or another. Whoever handled the later books apparently fixed this later on given what a poster said a few months back. So that at least is something if it's true.

Just to vaguely recap what I recall of that conversation:

My point was that as they were originally designed it seemed almost like Beast was a shittier Vampire in which you play as a bunch of wholly unsympathetic assholes that cribbed themes and ideas from the other splats. Not that vampires in the setting are exactly paragons of virtue, but at least it hammered home the point that a lot of the stuff they do had no real good justification beyond their hosed up impulses and a fundamentally corrupt society. Beast...Didn't really seem to do that back then --- See all the posters pissed at the implicit abuse apologia way back when for what I mean.

Furthermore, the guys and gals that wrote for Vampire seemed to understand that while horror and a dismal ending are endemic to many characters in the splat it was also important to at least dangle a thin hope that things are gonna get better. Otherwise, why even bother playing it (more on that later)? See, the 1e nods to VTM's Golconda, parts of the Carthians, literally any part of the Ordo Dracul that doesn't buy into the whole "We must become even worse monsters to escape vampirism!" thing, etc, etc. Beast didn't really seem to do that in some of the earlier drafts.

Which brings me right back to VtR. In 1e Vampire got two books going under the title of Night Horrors. One introduced infamous characters in the setting. The other introduced vampires that didn't or couldn't hang out in or with the "Kindred" classification/politics. Turns out the setting is loaded with different types of undead/undead causing monstrosities! At least one even got rolled into 2e as a minor clan in a pre-written city.

But what's really important to Beast is a sidebar for a parasite that basically turns the human host into an empty husk over time. It explicitly lays out the fact that from the very moment this character was infected he is a dead man walking. He's still breathing. He's walking around under his own will. And he's still a human, albeit one with increasingly horrifying things happening to him that he or she can't stop. But in the end? There's no happy ending.

The sidebar in question in this section points out that while it can be entertaining to play the tale of a doomed character ultimately they are in fact going to die horribly and that you shouldn't invest too much time or (from a player perspective) care into it. Basically, you were better served to actually play one of the other characters and leave the creepy fish-tongue parasites as disturbing monster antagonists.

Looking at Beast, and the original end states that were posted they all seemed to take a broken and messed up character and inflicted on them a state of being that was even worse. Sometimes to the point of being just as bad as the fish parasite in Night Horrors. So, really, even setting aside all the horrible poo poo to do with Beast why the gently caress would you even want to play a Beast, given that? They're basically an antagonist oriented splat with Golconda-esque states that at the time appeared to be more suited for NPC antagonists.

Now, granted I think someone said that it was Conquering Heroes that fixed that? But I never picked that up.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 1, 2019

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The timeline as I understand it is that Conquering Heroes was being written concurrently with the Beast core book, so it's using the old framework of "Beasts create Heroes. Heroes are fundamentally broken people and have been made that way by Beasts. Beasts are born the way they are and are marginally more sympathetic as a result."

The Beast Players Guide is the book that straight up says "Beasts are lying to themselves, and they are not aspirational figures." and has a lot of new neat mechanical stuff as well as new endgames like "Functionally kill your beast and turn yourself into a quasi-hero to try and make the world a slightly better place before you explode." BUT it's also the book with the fluff chapters that completely dispense with pretext and turn into rape apologia.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Kurieg posted:

The timeline as I understand it is that Conquering Heroes was being written concurrently with the Beast core book, so it's using the old framework of "Beasts create Heroes. Heroes are fundamentally broken people and have been made that way by Beasts. Beasts are born the way they are and are marginally more sympathetic as a result."

The Beast Players Guide is the book that straight up says "Beasts are lying to themselves, and they are not aspirational figures." and has a lot of new neat mechanical stuff as well as new endgames like "Functionally kill your beast and turn yourself into a quasi-hero to try and make the world a slightly better place before you explode." BUT it's also the book with the fluff chapters that completely dispense with pretext and turn into rape apologia.

Neither book was written concurrently. Conquering Heroes was written a good year after Beast at least. (Can’t be sure of when. Didn’t work on it.)

The book we went straight from Beast’s core onto was the fiction anthology.

Dave Brookshaw fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 1, 2019

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Question for more seasoned WoD players:

Playing through a V20 Vampire the Masquerade game as a Gangrel and I got into a pinch where I needed blood pretty quickly or I was going into torpor. My vamp was running through some alleyways and docks and came across a stray dog. My Gangrel didn't have super high humanity (~5) so I figured whatever, it's just a fictional dog right?

Nope. My DM got super quiet and RP'd through the scene anyways (we play over skype so I can't see the other guys faces) but you could definitely tell that what I did upset him. My vampire immediately lost a humanity. I kind of laughed it off and tried to lighten the mood with a joke about how next time I could eat rats or even more dogs as my vampire wouldn't even think twice in character but that didn't seem to help. The session ended early and one of the other guys messaged me and said basically "hey don't worry about it he lives on a farm with pigs and poo poo so he's just a little weird about animals". I feel a bit better after that, but should I reach out and smooth things over? Or just let it go? Thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Blitz7x posted:

Question for more seasoned WoD players:

Playing through a V20 Vampire the Masquerade game as a Gangrel and I got into a pinch where I needed blood pretty quickly or I was going into torpor. My vamp was running through some alleyways and docks and came across a stray dog. My Gangrel didn't have super high humanity (~5) so I figured whatever, it's just a fictional dog right?

Nope. My DM got super quiet and RP'd through the scene anyways (we play over skype so I can't see the other guys faces) but you could definitely tell that what I did upset him. My vampire immediately lost a humanity. I kind of laughed it off and tried to lighten the mood with a joke about how next time I could eat rats or even more dogs as my vampire wouldn't even think twice in character but that didn't seem to help. The session ended early and one of the other guys messaged me and said basically "hey don't worry about it he lives on a farm with pigs and poo poo so he's just a little weird about animals". I feel a bit better after that, but should I reach out and smooth things over? Or just let it go? Thanks

You should absolutely gently reach out and talk about it, and talk about what kind of boundaries you guys would like in your game. It may seem odd to care all that much about such actions in a game like Vampire of all things, but "well he likes animals" isn't a great reason to brush off making him uncomfortable, even if it was an accident. It can be easy to accidentally ruin someone's fun time, but it's often surprisingly easy to talk through this kind of stuff and make them feel better and avoid such things in the future.

And it's also possible that it really isn't a big deal, in which case all you did was try to be kind when you thought you might've hurt someone.