Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How could you forget the C+C Music Factory and Marky Mark and The Funky Bunch games for Sega CD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The 50 Cent games are among the greatest works of video art known to man

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Turin Turambar posted:

You didn't take the BFG on the previous level?
The first BFG I found was in E5M7, solidly after the secret map, so.

Komojo
Jun 30, 2007

Unlucky7 posted:

I understand that doom levels are broken down into polygon segs in order to do its rendering. How are segs generated, however? Is it up to the level creator, or does the level editor or engine do it automatically?

The level editor does it automatically. (Some ports like GZDoom will rebuild the BSP tree when the wad loads anyway, in case the wad has errors.)

Subsectors are always convex, but they are generated from sectors that can be any shape. A single linedef can br split into multiple segs each connected to a single subsector. You don't need to do anything by hand, but GZDoom Builder now has a mode that can show you the layout of the BSP tree, which I think is pretty cool.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Sir Lemming posted:

RE: Trademark law. They have a better case than a lot of you think. Trademark doesn't literally mean "we claim to own the words 'iron maiden' now, even though it's a thing from medieval times" or "if you have a pet mouse you're not allowed to name it Mickey". It's intended to protect against a situation where enough similarity exists that people will assume something is affiliated with / endorsed by one's brand when it actually isn't.

For example, the phrases "Best Buy" and "Stop & Shop" are obviously too generic to really be owned by anyone, so you'll see random local stores with those names sometimes. But if someone tried to start a large electronics-focused store called Best Buy, or a large grocery store called Stop & Shop, they would probably get calls. Inching closer to actual infringement, South Park episodes often use actual store names instead of making up fake ones, but they use made-up logos, to make it clear that there's no actual connection. If they used the real logos, they'd be in trouble.

This stuff happens a lot in craft beer, too. The makers of "Breaking Bud" were sued due to its obvious similarity to Breaking Bad, including a logo that used the periodic table theme. They had to change the logo, but not the name. Since collaborations between brands and breweries are quite common, it's reasonable to think that consumers might think it's an officially sponsored tie-in rather than just a pun and a tribute.

Anyway, I still think there's a lot of BS in this lawsuit, but there's a lot of gray area which, as many have already pointed out, means there's a good chance the developers won't really have the resources to mount a strong defense. However, if they change some of the graphical aspects, that might be enough to placate the lawyers without changing the name.

yeah but the problem here is that ion maiden bears no resemblance to anything iron maiden related. Iron maiden has shitloads of branded stuff and it all uses their mascot and font, ion maiden doesn't use either, isn't music related, or even heavy metal related. if the title of the game was written in the iron maiden font, or featured eddie or an eddie-like character then sure, there might be confusion, but that's not the case.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
American courts are stupid and 3D realms is either gonna have to pay a lot to settle or pay a lot to fight it and probably lose

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I hope that it just ends in a wiff and Ion Maiden gets a normal release. I know that I'm being naive thinking that there must be some common sense out there.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Plan Z posted:

Off the top of my head, there was also the Journey arcade game, Moonwalker, and the 50 Cent games, a Thompson Twins Game (only through old internet comedy articles), and some Wu-Tang fighting games (found out about them from Best Friends). Looking at Wikipedia I forgot or didn't know about Devo, Franky Goes to Hollywood, and Kriss Kross having games.

There’s an actual competitive community for the Def Jam fighting game, which is incredible.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I mean and then there is Kanye Quest. Who could forget Kanye Quest.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
And Shaq Fu.

And before you say, "But Cream-of-Plenty, Shaq is an NBA player" I'm gonna stop you right there and say that Shaq is a musician first and foremost.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I can't figure out how to deploy the Sigil USB:smith:

Edit: Nevermind. Really had to reaf on it to get it out.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jun 1, 2019

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

skasion posted:

The 50 Cent games are among the greatest works of video art known to man

Blood in the sand's co-op mode is, pound for pound, maybe my favorite local multiplayer experience. I don't even know WHY, its just so drat fun.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

And Shaq Fu.

And before you say, "But Cream-of-Plenty, Shaq is an NBA player" I'm gonna stop you right there and say that Shaq is a musician first and foremost.

I thought it was going to be this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f9IgOjZjn4

pieuvre armement
Feb 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Narcissus1916 posted:

Blood in the sand's co-op mode is, pound for pound, maybe my favorite local multiplayer experience. I don't even know WHY, its just so drat fun.

It's the cuss button with unlockable cusses

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Another excellent selection.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Okay is sigil supposed to be really loving dark or do i just need to readjust my settings for this wad

E: dig the music

site fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 1, 2019

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

is it just me or is sigil just kind of ... okay

e5m4 just sucks outright

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
It's really dark and e5m4 is not a great idea but mostly I liked Sigil. I only played it on HMP because cyberdemon turrets aren't my idea of fun Doom.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Turin Turambar posted:

edit: I wonder, are people complaining of ammo trying to do 100% kills? You can always avoid the monsters in the last room, no need to kill the barons :P.

If I don't get 100% kills its because I didn't find something :getin:

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Honestly the Cyberdemon turrets didn't strike me as the worst part of UV, it's the added enemies without added ammo to take them on with. If you're not particularly thrifty with your shots, you will be suffering ammo shortages before long, shortages that simply don't happen on HMP.

And yes, Sigil is ridiculously dark (IDK why Romero suggests that using Software lighting for GZDoom's hardware renderer makes things brighter; while that is my recommended setting, that isn't my experience at all), and E3M4 sucks a lot (I'd say that crusher maze can go to Hell, but technically the WAD is already set in Hell, so I guess it's right where it needs to be).

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Sigil has a few too many and obnoxious damage floors for my liking. Romero really wants you to have good footwork, if not then tough poo poo you’ll be fighting on a series of small platforms over lava in this one. I get that it’s hell and all but jesus. They’re interesting and well put together maps though. It’s cool to see how different his approach is from most community mappers at this point.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

my god, this buckethead soundtrack lmao

this poo poo owns

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I like buckethead, but the midi soundtrack by james paddock is rad as hell

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

site posted:

Okay is sigil supposed to be really loving dark or do i just need to readjust my settings for this wad

https://mobile.twitter.com/romero/status/1133772409620881408

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I am using software and it's still pitch black almost

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

site posted:

I am using software and it's still pitch black almost

Turn on your monitor!

For real though the lighting does seem kinda wonky.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I just finished E5M5 and I never thought I would have this much fun with a Doom 1 episode. I haven't found the lighting to be too dark. Dim, yes, but at no point have I not been able to see the enemies I'm fighting. The background is pitch black a lot of the time, but generally you can see the traversable areas. I'm playing on UV and I haven't noticed ammo being a problem as much as health. I have a few ground rules: never use rockets for anything other than Barons of Hell (and even then there have been a couple that were easily dispatched with a berserk fist), never shoot a Cacodemon or pink demon when you have a chainsaw available, and always try to cause as much infighting as possible. Health is scarce though and I found myself a couple of times with 2% health and nowhere to go except across a hurt floor, forcing me to reload an earlier save.

There also seems to be a bug in E5M4 in the middle path where the rock islands in the lava that raise and lower hurt you even when they are raised (which I think is a limitation of the Doom engine) which made re-traversing that area impossible without dying. Also the crushing ceiling puzzles in that map would have been a million times better if it used the non-fatal crushers instead of the insta-kill variant.

E5M5 has been my favourite map so far I think. It reminds me of a hellish version of MAP15 which is one of my favourite Doom II maps. I'm looking forward to playing the rest of the levels later tonight.

edit: I'm really digging the MIDI soundtrack but I just checked and Buckethead's Sigil soundtrack is on Spotify, so I might have to give it another playthrough with that playing.

Volte fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jun 1, 2019

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

Maybe it's just years of Dark Souls trauma conditioning but I tend to treat surprises that kill me as funny (especially knowing they're coming from Romero).

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
I get these little freezes in Blood fresh supply whenever something is spoken. Caleb snarking. The announcer as you approach the train station... Its very frustrating!

E: Scripted snark 'tho. Like using the sink on the first level. Not when he blows something up for example.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
The greatest challenge of Sigil so far is how the hell this floppy disk USB is supposed to work :stare:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Mordja posted:

There's no mod that ports Doom 2 content to Doom 1, is there? Guessing not, that'd be weird.

i did a little searching around this morning and i found a mod that the op of this thread eventually posts in there. its fun as hell but hard as gently caress to the point where i dont know if its actually completable without cheats on uv because even though it gives you the super shotgun in some spots, it replaces cacos with hell knights and revanents, and various zombieguys with chaingunners. havent tried the next episodes to see if it adds anything else yet tho

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Volte posted:

I just finished E5M5 and I never thought I would have this much fun with a Doom 1 episode. I haven't found the lighting to be too dark. Dim, yes, but at no point have I not been able to see the enemies I'm fighting. The background is pitch black a lot of the time, but generally you can see the traversable areas.
You literally stopped before the worst level in this regard.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Convex posted:

The greatest challenge of Sigil so far is how the hell this floppy disk USB is supposed to work :stare:
It doesn't slide. You have to push it perpendicular to the "disk"

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Turn on your monitor!

For real though the lighting does seem kinda wonky.

It's worth checking monitor settings before cranking up the gamma in game. Mine defaults to some "THEATER MODE" poo poo that blows out the contrast and makes anything kind of dark into full black.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Well, the reason i asked in the first place is because I've had no problems with this in other wads, i thought something broke

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Thyrork posted:

I get these little freezes in Blood fresh supply whenever something is spoken. Caleb snarking. The announcer as you approach the train station... Its very frustrating!

E: Scripted snark 'tho. Like using the sink on the first level. Not when he blows something up for example.

What kind of hard drive do you have the game installed on?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
We here in the Early FPS Megathread may tend to fixate on shotguns, but one thing I don't think I've seen mention of is that Blood has got a tremendous rocket launcher. High damage, fires fast, deep ammo pool, speedy projectiles, enough splash to clear out groups while not being too dangerous to the player, hell, it even lights people on fire!

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I'm trying Rekkr and... I'm not finding it very fun? I appreciate the cohesiveness of the total conversion, textures, new enemies, new weapons, new music, new items, all designed for the new setting, some kind of fantasy Norse/Iron Age adventure, but yeah, not fun. And in addition it's too hard and it's kind of ugly.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Sigil was a super fun romp on UV. Ammo conservation wasn't bad, since I used the chainsaw very liberally. Pinkies/Specters, Lost Souls, and Cacodemons (in tight corridors) usually got torn up by it. I had a backpack full of shotgun shells that I couldn't waste fast enough!

Also I found 3 BFGs, starting at E5M6. I normally save it for the Big Boss Fights, but there were plenty of times where I was plum out of rockets and three Barons were about to mess my poo poo up. Props to Romero for getting me to cycle through the full toolkit instead of sticking solely with the Shotgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Dieting Hippo posted:

Sigil was a super fun romp on UV. Ammo conservation wasn't bad, since I used the chainsaw very liberally. Pinkies/Specters, Lost Souls, and Cacodemons (in tight corridors) usually got torn up by it. I had a backpack full of shotgun shells that I couldn't waste fast enough!

Also I found 3 BFGs, starting at E5M6. I normally save it for the Big Boss Fights, but there were plenty of times where I was plum out of rockets and three Barons were about to mess my poo poo up. Props to Romero for getting me to cycle through the full toolkit instead of sticking solely with the Shotgun.

They were several instances where you could use the chainsaw in ideal conditions, so my guess is that both that and the 'low ammo' design are both intended and inextricably linked.