Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

mortons stork posted:

Careful with the examples you cite. Singapore is a virtuous example, but hong kong is basically nightmare dystopia. Real estate is so valuable, and so scarce, people are living in sections of rooms. Rent accounts for a ridiculously high percentage of income in that city, and afaik there is little being done wrt new housing development that can ease the shortage.

Those are excellent Capitalism.jpgs

Here's more HONG KONG:

*cue Blade Runner soundtrack*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
wanna go running through those hills

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The bamboo scaffolding you see in some of the photos is loving wild. I've been there and you see people climbing up ridiculously tall buildings on those bamboo scaffolds. Tying the bamboo poles together right is a skill you need years of training to do right.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Accretionist posted:

Here's more HONG KONG:

where's judge dredd

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

got any sevens posted:

where's judge dredd

SPECIAL FORCES, TAIWAN:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

mortons stork posted:

Careful with the examples you cite. Singapore is a virtuous example, but hong kong is basically nightmare dystopia. Real estate is so valuable, and so scarce, people are living in sections of rooms. Rent accounts for a ridiculously high percentage of income in that city, and afaik there is little being done wrt new housing development that can ease the shortage.

"Singapore is a virtuous example" except for the maids sleeping in closets on top of the washing machine and dryer.

Silver Nitrate
Oct 17, 2005

WHAT

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

I feel like if you are online enough you'll never really be that far behind the trend.

I don't know, I'm very online but I only found out what a Lil' Peep was when he died and they talked about him on NPR so I think I'm officially old

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

bike tory posted:

"Singapore is a virtuous example" except for the maids sleeping in closets on top of the washing machine and dryer.

You got a link for that? I'm going from memory off of what I read couple years ago where it basically said Singapore public housing was world class and an example of a housing programme done right. I'd be interested in reading more about it and esp. about the cracks in the system

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I like that from certain angles a lot of those very tall apartment buildings look like they wouldn't be all that out of place here

At least people actually live in those, unlike this one.

Also apparently there's a homeless shelter on billionaire's row, here's some fuckin' capitalism dot png right here:

Or well, it would be a homeless shelter, but they've been sued to a halt

https://thecity.nyc/2019/04/judge-nixes-challenge-to-billionaires-row-homeless-shelter.html

quote:

The embattled facility for 140 homeless men, located at the former Park Savoy Hotel on West 58th Street — one of Manhattan’s priciest blocks — has been stalled since neighbors sued to stop the shelter’s opening last July.

The decision marks a milestone in a long legal battle that has pitted residents against the project — part of City Hall’s plan to build 90 new homeless shelters across the city.

Manhattan Supreme Court Judge Alexander Tisch rejected the legal challenge brought by the West 58th Street Coalition, which claimed, among other things, that the shelter building was unsafe and not in compliance with building and fire codes.
The West 58th Street Coalition’s attorney Randy Mastro said in a statement the group is pursuing an “immediate appeal.”

“This unsafe building should not be permitted to operate as a homeless shelter. Placing the homeless in this building puts their lives at risk, as well as the lives of staff, neighbors and firefighters responding there,” said Mastro, who served as chief of staff and a deputy mayor under former mayor Rudy Giuliani.

"No really we just care for the homeless people's safety" I say as I snort a line of cocaine off the rear end of the woman I bought specifically so I could do drugs off her

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
housing battles could really benefit from some kind of bad-faith-argument defense mechanism

i don't even know if that's possible in the philosophy of law though

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
like living in the bay area means being bombarded with it all the time

seeing flyers and meetings and groups where you know everything they're saying is just some p-hacked argument to cover for their true selfish reasoning

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

mortons stork posted:

You got a link for that? I'm going from memory off of what I read couple years ago where it basically said Singapore public housing was world class and an example of a housing programme done right. I'd be interested in reading more about it and esp. about the cracks in the system

I don't have any links sorry, what I know about it is anecdotal from friends who grew up in or lived in Singapore.

I do know that domestic workers in Singapore have to live with their employers, it's a condition of their visa. The super isolated and vulnerable position that puts domestic workers in is obvious. That's probably also how SG avoids images like the ones you see from HK of people living in 2sq m crawl spaces - even if Singaporean public housing is great (I actually didn't know anything about it), it isn't available to maids, who make up about 5% of the population (something like 1/5 or 1/4 of households have a maid). Presumably if maids didn't have to live with their employers their public housing would be under significantly more strain?

Anecdotally though: their treatment is wildly varied and I'm sure if you google around it will have been covered well by various organisations. Basically everyone knows at least one family who treat their maid very poorly (if not physically abusing them then verbally, severely restricting their freedom, feeding them poor quality diets etc), and beyond that it's standard practice that your maid doesn't get a bedroom of their own - the maid makes up a bed in the kitchen after everyone's asleep, or they sleep in a closet or, like I said, they put their mattress on top of the washing machine and dryer.

voiceless anal fricative has issued a correction as of 21:29 on May 31, 2019

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012
Oh okay I know what you're referencing. Yeah, I know, domestic workers in SE Asia have it rough. Not even just singapore, malaysia did it pretty bad last I checked. There is basically 0 oversight and a lot of those situations end up hardly distinguishable from trafficking. It doesn't help that a lot of human trafficking happens exactly like this across the whole world. There is the barest hint of authorities trying to cooperate on the matter, but last I read, the countries exporting domestic workers (usually poorer ones like indonesia) have 0 leverage so the richer ones just tell them to eat poo poo.

I guess steps forwards in that would be reforming visa conditions and actually putting employers under significant oversight. I think the public housing programme could probably accommodate domestic workers as well, if non-national resident workers are given access to it as opposed to strictly nationals. The public housing was one of those rare neoliberal technocracy success stories, in that central authorities were actually engaged in serving the public, so they just drafted a sensible urban plan, created housing zones with actual access to public services, mixed in with commercial zoning, and then delivered it. Then the administration of the thing was strictly controlled so that it wasn't subject to speculation and rents remained affordable. Of course, this was done the technocracy way, with 0 consultation and the barest pretense of democratic engagement, but still, it's actually very good results afaik.

mortons stork has issued a correction as of 22:07 on May 31, 2019

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

mortons stork posted:

0 consultation and the barest pretense of democratic engagement

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost

Shame Boy posted:

And my new favorite: more moral panic about tax money

I like how many of these are "it's a serious health issue but it affects women or blacks so it's a funny joke".

Any of these amounts are insignificant to a town of several thousand people. All of these amounts could be easily absorbed by a medium-sized city. In a country of 300 million people, these dollar amounts are absolutely nothing.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ScrubLeague posted:

Any of these amounts are insignificant to a town of several thousand people. All of these amounts could be easily absorbed by a medium-sized city. In a country of 300 million people, these dollar amounts are absolutely nothing.

Yeah, but it all adds up. You have to find some way to cover a $1.5 trillion tax cut for billionaires

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
More whiny, snowflake Millenials.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Oh no who could have possibly foreseen this? :geno:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Accretionist posted:

Here's more HONG KONG:

These make me feel uneasy.

Those are air con units bolted to most of those apartments, right? How much power must it take to run all of that?

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

hong kong is apparently well-known for being unbearably hot outside due in part to all the heat dumped outside by AC units

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ah well that's simply due to millennials being less whihahahaha no i can't do it

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Great Value! New Formula! Now With 35% LESS!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Shear Modulus posted:

hong kong is apparently well-known for being unbearably hot outside due in part to all the heat dumped outside by AC units

A great example of 'gently caress you got mine'

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dont worry we'll make it up on population growth that's totally gonna happen with the people having trouble finding a good family free place to bone down, let alone start a family in,

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm pretty resigned to living check to check for the next decade or two and then becoming a raider.

People talk to me about marriage n buying a home and I'm lolin'. Retirement haha.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wealth-splaining

:commissar:

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 00:48 on Jun 1, 2019

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

it’s a joke now but that’s the future, criticizing billionaires will be defined as hate speech

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Yeah twitter of all loving places is really known for its collectivist, left-leaning opinions putting a damper on things

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ScrubLeague posted:

"Listen, do YOU want YOUR money to pay for such trivial things as "researching high blood pressure caused by discrimination"? They should just suck it up buttercup and stop being such delicate snowflakes, I've never let myself get worked up about something like that and they shouldn't either."

"WAIT A loving SECOND, A WOMAN SAID WHAT ABOUT VIDEOGAMES?!"

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Smirking_Serpent posted:

it’s a joke now but that’s the future, criticizing billionaires will be defined as hate speech

Ah but did you ever consider that wealthism is the real prejudice

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

no the real victims of prejudice are bigots, who cannot voice their opinions about the humanity of people with certain skin colors, sexual orientations, etc, without being discriminated against

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
and discrimination being any form of rebuttal, or even not receiving praise for honoring us with their endlessly regurgitated derivative “opinions”

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

I liked how billionaires in SF compared themselves to jews in Nazi Germany after people criticized their greed.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I'm almost finished with David Graeber's debt: the first 5000 years. What author do I go next for my 'capitalism critique from a historical and systemic perspective' fix?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
Graeber has like 5ish books

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

sure, now that I know graeber I can find my way to his other books. Other recommended authors is a little more difficult.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

michael hudson?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

read the bread book