Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was the lowest point of the Simpson
Homer Votes
Harlem Shake
Keisha Tik Tok intro
Homer Live
Lisa Goes Gaga
Other (please specify)
View Results

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

So this is what it feels like when doves cry..

But rly, on a forum full of Norm MacDonald fans I'd be surprised if a ton of them didn't like Dirty Work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It was Norm’s only real movie (Screwed sucks balls) and Lorne Michaels wasn’t happy with how it turned out but everyone who worked on the film said it was a joy to do and because the comedy is all gag-based, apolitical humor it stands up 20 years later. You don’t even notice that nobody has a phone or a computer.

It’s also a different vein of comedy than Happy Madison productions or Tommy Boy/Black Sheep, less screaming and insanity and more just extremely clever writing.

Sorry for derail but Dirty Work is peak 90’s comedy, like when the Simpsons was good.

Hope you loving love 3rd Eye Blind LoL

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Bust Rodd posted:

LoL yeah I was quoting Dirty Work, it’s literally the funniest comedy of the 90’s and I’ve easily seen it over 50+ times. It’s my default “feeling kind of funky/bored” movie and I’ve shown it to countless people who go from “Norm who?” to quoting it casually months later.

Yeah that'll happen. My brother and I randomly saw it on some movie channel ages ago and instantly fell in love with it, and Norm MacDonald.

I wonder how much of that scene Don Rickles just adlibbed? Probably a lot!

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I will also go to bat for Joe Dirt being a good comedy.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

About 2/3rds of all American Dad episodes heavily involve Roger and typically it plays out like: Roger has a new persona of the week - Roger will use this persona to help the family - no just kidding he's actually screwing the family over! - they forgive him anyway because reasons

Some people don't mind this, but for me it makes the show extremely redundant. There's some drat good episodes, but most of the time I can't help but feel like they were limiting themselves and just churning something out, using Roger as a writing crutch, rather than pushing for consistent high quality.

The family puts up with him because they are a family and also awful. Like in the classic car episode where they're completely okay with kidnapping Jay Leno and only upset that he's been hogging the family cage.

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 14:07 on May 30, 2019

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I think this might be the third time we've looped back around to this conversation in this thread

And whose fault is that, hmm?

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Have all the Tracey Ullman Show shorts been compiled anywhere?

also i hate roger!!!!

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Props to rollick for tracking down John Mulaney's bit on Groening + Simpsons

rollick posted:

I think it's ep 547 [of Comedy Bang Bang]. There's a Groening reference at 5.55, then a callback from 21.00 on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLaV-ta1Ve0

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Iron Crowned posted:

It never really made me laugh, but god it's a such a charming movie and I think I would sit down and watch the whole thing every time Comedy Central showed it back when it was obsessed with the movie.

On another note, I think I'm finally done with Talking Simpsons. I love Bob Mackey and thank him for his service, but loving hell is Henry Gilbert obnoxious. It reminds me of how every time my family gets together for holidays, we don't let mom drive because she'll turn a 5 minute drive into an hour circuit around every neighborhood and back road where she stomps on the breaks every 20 seconds to move to a crawl in front of houses to go "oh woooow loook they put a deck up it looks so nice!" and you want to just open the car door and bail. Except now, it's Henry having to stomp on the brakes every few minutes to complain about how offensive or outdated a joke is. I just listened to their episodes on Simpson Tide and that one Ralph episode, and Henry can not stop himself from having to be like "Yeeeeah I reaaaaaly feeel like that joke is trying to poke fun at thiiis" and you can even hear Bob and their guests getting frustrated and just trying to move the loving episode along a little. I swear he brings up in every goddamned episode that he doesn't like how Ralph has become the "short bus" character which fine, fair enough, but you don't need to say it in what feels like every episode.

Alright, I promise that's the last time I complain about it. So here's another clip that popped up in my Recommended Hellzone:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8CfN-_x6q0

That's just over 4 minutes. 2 minutes is spent on the intro, another minute+ is spent on a sequence of Homer injuries (I think they also did this in a few other episodes), with another 20 seconds set up on the wind-up and delivery of a "Dils" pun.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Have all the Tracey Ullman Show shorts been compiled anywhere?

I looked this up a while ago, and it seems that some don't even exist anymore:
https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/The_Simpsons_shorts

quote:

Only a few of these shorts have been released on DVD. "Good Night" was included on The Simpsons season 1 DVD. Five of these shorts were later used in the clip show episode "The Simpsons 138th Episode Spectacular" on the half-hour show, which was released on the season 7 DVD. These five shorts were "Good Night", "The Perfect Crime", "Space Patrol", "World War III", and "Bathtime". Groening has announced that all of the shorts will be available on mobile phones.[6] 3 shorts, Family Portrait, The Funeral, and The Aquarium, were released on the 3 "The Best of The Simpsons" VHS tapes.

IUG fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 30, 2019

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Homer having a heart attack in Mr. Burns' office is also a triumph in animation and direction that wouldn’t be possible with the current style either

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Calaveron posted:

Homer having a heart attack in Mr. Burns' office is also a triumph in animation and direction that wouldn’t be possible with the current style either

I didn't realize it until just now but this really is the scene I think of when I think of peak Simpson's animation

The final expression on Homer's face as he keels and the heart diagram shatters is just :discourse:

edit: vvv :hmmyes: vvv

NiceGuy fucked around with this message at 00:26 on May 31, 2019

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

NiceGuy posted:

I didn't realize it until just now but this really is the scene I think of when I think of peak Simpson's animation

The final expression on Homer's face as he keels and the heart diagram shatters is just :discourse:

It’s that and no beer and no tv makes homer something something

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

IUG posted:

I looked this up a while ago, and it seems that some don't even exist anymore:
https://simpsons.fandom.com/wiki/The_Simpsons_shorts

Hopefully these make it to the Disney streaming thing because the difference in quality between the lovely VHS rips and the few that made it on the 138th Spectacular is staggering

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u8hN4J7y7E&t=6s

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Calaveron posted:

When I saw this scene premiered brand-new I thought it was way off tone and bad.

The back-and-forth dialogue is too cartoony (“That means you’re terrible!”), and the animation just seemed... well, cartoony too, in a way that felt “un-Simpsons” somehow.

It was just a few episodes after the “frogurt” scene which was the same joke but felt a lot more natural

I dunno, at the time it seemed to me like the animators were trying too hard or something. At least that’s what I distinctly remember thinking.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Plan Z posted:

That's just over 4 minutes. 2 minutes is spent on the intro, another minute+ is spent on a sequence of Homer injuries (I think they also did this in a few other episodes), with another 20 seconds set up on the wind-up and delivery of a "Dils" pun.

God the amount of bullshit is staggering. The intro is filled with nothing, the jokes have no substance. There is no life.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

PostNouveau posted:

And whose fault is that, hmm?

Somehow the general consensus on American Dad has gone from "it's not like Family Guy, it's actually pretty good!" to "it's on the level of classic Simpsons" and I'm just not seeing it. The show took the lazy, low effort route and used Roger as a blank slate for whatever they needed way too often. I do agree that there are some brilliant episodes in the mix.

YeahTubaMike posted:

God the amount of bullshit is staggering. The intro is filled with nothing, the jokes have no substance. There is no life.

Even with all that extra bullshit in the intro, the episode still wasn't long enough and they had to loop the final theme song jingle at the end.

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Data Graham posted:

When I saw this scene premiered brand-new I thought it was way off tone and bad.

The back-and-forth dialogue is too cartoony (“That means you’re terrible!”), and the animation just seemed... well, cartoony too, in a way that felt “un-Simpsons” somehow.

It was just a few episodes after the “frogurt” scene which was the same joke but felt a lot more natural

I dunno, at the time it seemed to me like the animators were trying too hard or something. At least that’s what I distinctly remember thinking.

This is a post I can really dig

A grave for

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Still can't believe lemonparty made it in

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

spaceblancmange posted:

This is a post I can really dig

A grave for

It's intensely bad. I bet he was 5 years old too. Far too old for such childish things

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

YeahTubaMike posted:

Homer’s “what a week” got a chuckle out of me.:unsmith:

GPTribefan
Jul 2, 2007
Something witty yet inspirational about the Cleveland Indians

Iron Crowned posted:

That makes three of us who liked Dirty Work

Add me to the pile.

“I have to go lift weights. What?”

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
they should do a sealab 2021 of the original episodes IMO

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Somehow the general consensus on American Dad has gone from "it's not like Family Guy, it's actually pretty good!" to "it's on the level of classic Simpsons" and I'm just not seeing it.

Oh, it's not on the level of classic Simpsons. Nothing is and I don't think it's possible for anything to be, anymore. The cultural conditions just don't exist.

Also yeah, dragging a viewing of or a conversation about old media, regularly, to a grinding halt because you've got to suck air through your clenched teeth over things that may or may not be "problematic" now is not a substitute for insight or wit.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Data Graham posted:

Were you a regular on Usenet

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp

Pastry of the Year posted:

Also yeah, dragging a viewing of or a conversation about old media, regularly, to a grinding halt because you've got to suck air through your clenched teeth over things that may or may not be "problematic" now is not a substitute for insight or wit.

The thing is, there is actually really important and great discussion material about such topics. Discussing how old media were formed by the context of their time, in good and bad ways, is insightful and cool IMO, and so is understanding we should be better than the bad ways now, ideally. The issue is when you don't have an actually interesting discussion about it, you just keep bringing it up as if you can't trust your audience to remember.

In my opinion, Talking Simpsons should have made some properly researched, well discussed special episodes to talk about the cultural issues in depth, and then refer people to those when the subject matter comes up again. Means you don't have to derail the podcast every time Ralph or Apu show up. Any episode might be some new listener's first, sure, but bogging down every episode with the exact same arguments every time isn't going to add anything new for anyone. You can create awareness without making it intensely frustrating to listen to.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Ritznit posted:

The thing is, there is actually really important and great discussion material about such topics. Discussing how old media were formed by the context of their time, in good and bad ways, is insightful and cool IMO, and so is understanding we should be better than the bad ways now, ideally. The issue is when you don't have an actually interesting discussion about it, you just keep bringing it up as if you can't trust your audience to remember.

I absolutely agree with this. Being fluent enough to understand the cultural context of a work, even (maybe especially) a disposable one, requires some work, to say nothing of being prepared to discuss it clearly and intelligently. That sort of understanding also, I'd hope, would immunize someone against the very popular current practice of dismissing everyone involved with and everything about a work that doesn't meet one's current standards of cultural sensitivity as an irredeemable piece of poo poo. That's a very easy, lazy layup, and sure, it'll run up the scoreboard for you on social media, but it's also potentially destructive.

It's probably insane of me in the present climate to expect most people to react to anything that trips their alarm bells with any more depth than that displayed in the thumbnail to a PERSON REACTS!! YouTube video, though :eng99:

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy

Plan Z posted:

Alright, I promise that's the last time I complain about it. So here's another clip that popped up in my Recommended Hellzone:

There's a potentially good joke in here but they ruin it because the writers are dumb or think the audience is dumb.

Bart: I can't believe we have to start another year of school, I never learned anything at that suck-shack!
Homer: Who taught you that language?!
Bart: A kid at school.

Old simpsons would have stopped there. And Marge would probably have said something but yeah.. they had to add in

Homer: So you DID learn something.

which kills the joke dead.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Ritznit posted:

In my opinion, Talking Simpsons should have made some properly researched, well discussed special episodes to talk about the cultural issues in depth, and then refer people to those when the subject matter comes up again. Means you don't have to derail the podcast every time Ralph or Apu show up. Any episode might be some new listener's first, sure, but bogging down every episode with the exact same arguments every time isn't going to add anything new for anyone. You can create awareness without making it intensely frustrating to listen to.

I like the Apu ones they've done because their guest has some deserved weary sighs for the material, but he's also provided a whole lot of cultural context around Indian Americans especially of that generation.

They didn't really go overboard with that sort of "problematic" stuff in the Simpsons Tide episode imo, they were more making GBS threads on just how dated and unoriginal 'village people are gay' jokes were by 1998. You really start seeing some of Al Jean's bad ideas surfacing in his 3G episodes.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

QwertySanchez posted:

There's a potentially good joke in here but they ruin it because the writers are dumb or think the audience is dumb.

Bart: I can't believe we have to start another year of school, I never learned anything at that suck-shack!
Homer: Who taught you that language?!
Bart: A kid at school.

Old simpsons would have stopped there. And Marge would probably have said something but yeah.. they had to add in

Homer: So you DID learn something.

which kills the joke dead.

Are you ready to LAUGH???!!?!!

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

SeANMcBAY posted:

Homer’s “what a week” got a chuckle out of me.:unsmith:

It felt like a Family Guy joke, which isn't to say it wasn't vaguely amusing.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

brugroffil posted:

I like the Apu ones they've done because their guest has some deserved weary sighs for the material, but he's also provided a whole lot of cultural context around Indian Americans especially of that generation.

They didn't really go overboard with that sort of "problematic" stuff in the Simpsons Tide episode imo, they were more making GBS threads on just how dated and unoriginal 'village people are gay' jokes were by 1998. You really start seeing some of Al Jean's bad ideas surfacing in his 3G episodes.

That Village People one was super-warranted and good and reminded me of the good conversations they had about hack stand-up comedians in the Last Temptation of Krust episode.

The problem is that they also pumped the brakes to talk about earrings, and when the "Mr. Moe" bit came up in Simpsons Tide (and I really think Henry was reaching, there). There may have been others. Any time there's also a joke around a kid or adult being mocked for "sissy" behavior, it feels like Henry needs to call it homophobic. I think they need to confer with each other beforehand so they can condense these and stop Henry from having to do such comments almost immediately after so many of the audio bits. I don't think they've ever once brought up Ralph without Henry doing his "short bus jokes" hemming and hawing from what I've heard.

Also just realized in that clip I posted that Homer talks about how much he loves insurance when he didn't have it for some of those injuries because he bought magic beans instead.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Data Graham posted:

The frogurt scene is obviously reusing the same footage over and over to fill some time so it's not especially natural.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
What was the lowest point of the Talking Simpsons podcast?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Frog Act posted:

As far as I can tell they’ve dropped that entirely and just made him a one-dimensional mommas boy. The scene where he’s chasing Bart and just walks right into the river after him is gone forever

But wouldn’t you rather watch a fifteen minute long wacky stick fighting sequence between him and Bart set to duel of the fates

pooch516
Mar 10, 2010

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

The frogurt scene is obviously reusing the same footage over and over to fill some time so it's not especially natural.

That's bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

PostNouveau posted:

What are you trying to say about Weird Al?

he's real bad!