Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Goddamn. May have one of those genes going off that packs on muscle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Went fly fishing on a lake last weekend and caught soooo many panfish. It was so mind-blowingly fun to catch them on the fly reel. Here's an extremely pretty pumpkinseed I caught

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Bullfrog posted:

Went fly fishing on a lake last weekend and caught soooo many panfish. It was so mind-blowingly fun to catch them on the fly reel. Here's an extremely pretty pumpkinseed I caught

My man

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Fly fishing is a loving blast and you all gotta try it.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
My boyfriend caught himself in the right hand. At urgent care x.x

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Can't just crush the barb and pull it out?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Nah, it went super deep. My own hand is a little sprained, so I didn't have the hand strength or mechanical dexterity to deal with it. Also, I wasn't sure if his tetnus was up to date. The doc numbed the finger and finagled it out pretty nicely. So he's on antibiotics for a week.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The only time I had to go to the E.R. for having a hook extremely deep in my finger, I wound up teaching the doctor a much less invasive way to remove the hook than A) just ripping it back out like some of the other doctors or B) slicing the entire side of my finger open to remove the hook like he preferred to do. I had him numb the finger, then make a very small incision where the dulled tip of the hook was having trouble coming through the skin, then snip the end of the hook off and back it out with minimal damage to my various meaty fingat bits.

When I told him to snip the barb off he looked at me like I had 2 heads.
:saddowns: "How the hell am I supposed to do that?"
:v: "Call maintenance and ask for a pain of wire snips. I guarantee you that they have a pair."
:saddowns: "But its not sterile."
:v: "Dude, we're in a hospital. I'm sure you can find the stuff to sterilize a pair of wire cutters."
:saddowns: "Oh. Uh, Good point"

The nurse was very visibly having a hard time not busting out laughing at the situation of the patient schooling a doctor on how best to do the thing the patient came to the hospital to have done.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I just instinctively mash down the barbs of all my hooks with pliers and say I'm doing it to harm the fish less rather than the real reason which is I'm a wimp that doesn't want a barbed hook in my hand/other parts.

it's for both reasons, of course

When I was real young, I lodged a crankbait's treble hooks into the back of my bro's head while casting. I've avoided treble hooks ever since.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 1, 2019

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
When I was i med school a guy came into trauma with a fishing through head. The problem was it was carbon fiber so you could cut the without it warping and causing damage. We ended have the firefighters bring their high speed drill they use off sides of cars and such. Worked out well though.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

You sure it wasn't you that had the fishing rod in his head with that posting? :v:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Treble hooks. More like trouble hooks!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I usually snip one of the three hooks off of treble hooks along with mashing down the barbs. I hate it when I can't get a fish unhooked quickly.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

prom candy posted:

I usually snip one of the three hooks off of treble hooks along with mashing down the barbs. I hate it when I can't get a fish unhooked quickly.

Often the treble hook is only attached by a split ring, and you can simply replace the treble hook with a single hook.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Enigma posted:

Often the treble hook is only attached by a split ring, and you can simply replace the treble hook with a single hook.

Yeah I think I'll start doing that with some of my most-used lures

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

With fish that like to head shake vigorously I found the double hook to be really good for not getting tossed.

I’m looking at you big lingcods.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

I accept and am fine with the fact that I will lose a certain percentage of fish avoiding treble hooks and mashing down barbs. I catch-and-release anyway. It'd be a different story if it were my job/livelihood or I caught them for eating.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I've pulled in huge browns on #24 barbless hooks and micro leaders on a fly rod. Most of the time it's how you play the fish and your patience.

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
Sorry that sounds cocky. But it wasn't meant to be.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’ve caught a 35lb lingcod on a barbless shrimp fly but it’s a loving nightmare to keep its head up. Like zero slack is allowed. When I’m fishing for meat I’d just as soon be sure.
Hell all the salmon I’ve ever caught have been barbless too and some of those guys got over 20lbs.

I’ll take the barbs for insurance please.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

zero slack is allowed

This is this first commandment of lingcod fishing, as far as I understand it. Don't be a dumbass like me and pump your rod when you have one on. It's not a tuna and it will spit your hook.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

This is this first commandment of lingcod fishing, as far as I understand it. Don't be a dumbass like me and pump your rod when you have one on. It's not a tuna and it will spit your hook.

Pumping is fine as long as you are reeling in faster than the slack is made. I’ve seen videos of people pumping and pausing and it’s always confused me. Number one fear is the fish getting back in the rocks and you need to get them off the bottom fast. Watch some videos of spear fisherman taking lingcods, rockfish and halibut and you get a strong idea of what the bottom typically looks like.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Pumping is fine as long as you are reeling in faster than the slack is made. I’ve seen videos of people pumping and pausing and it’s always confused me. Number one fear is the fish getting back in the rocks and you need to get them off the bottom fast. Watch some videos of spear fisherman taking lingcods, rockfish and halibut and you get a strong idea of what the bottom typically looks like.

In my case it was inexperience; I did it because I didn't know not to do it. If people who are ostensibly experts do the same rookie poo poo that made me lose my fish, I'd be pretty confused by that too. I'm just broadcasting my failure in hopes that anyone taking their first bottomfish party boat is more successful than me. If anything, talking about it now makes me want to book another trip for the revenge that comes with filling my freezer.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

In my case it was inexperience; I did it because I didn't know not to do it. If people who are ostensibly experts do the same rookie poo poo that made me lose my fish, I'd be pretty confused by that too. I'm just broadcasting my failure in hopes that anyone taking their first bottomfish party boat is more successful than me. If anything, talking about it now makes me want to book another trip for the revenge that comes with filling my freezer.

I’m dying here because of all the kids birthday parties happening every loving weekend and I can’t get out to the coast. Im about to call off a day and go fishing.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Doooo ittt

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Hoooooo weeee! Was out fishing the old canal, getting skunked. We're packing up to leave, and I toss one last cast in on a spoon. At first I think I snagged, and then my drag starts screaming. It goes deep and is really violently shaking, I'm thinking I got one of the billion turtles in there, which sucks because I'm only on 4lb fluro and it's a light rod. But I see a flash of silver and grey, it's a channel cat! I'm on a super steep cut, and there's snags everywhere, so I gotta play it careful and manuver it to a slightly more shallow bank. My hero boyfriend slides down the bank to grab it. A 3lb channel cat on 4lb line, thrill a second. He will be a catfish curry after a few days in the freezer.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 9, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nioce!

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Nice report! Any particular reason you’re freezing it first?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

tesilential posted:

Nice report! Any particular reason you’re freezing it first?

Don't feel like cooking it yet, and just habit to throw all freshwater fish in the freezer for two days to kill any parasites they might have. We saw no worms on this gal, a spectacularly healthy female. Full egg sacs though, which is a pitty, but they stock this canal pretty regularly.

Gonna make this recipe: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FKNPVJSkWw

Oh, and the kerala style fish fry I did yesterday turned out great!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 9, 2019

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I had a pretty good murderbox session yesterday. It's been cooling down here but despite the low water temp I ended up bagging out (20 fish limit) on flathead.

I was surprised at how hard they were hitting the baits and lures, and a triple hookup at one stage. Now my back is hosed from spending an hour at the sink cleaning them all.

I took a flattie spine in the thumb too.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

gay picnic defence posted:

I took a flattie spine in the thumb too.

1 out of 20 is a drat fine ratio for getting a poke, methinks. I think I get spined every other time I handle a pokey boi

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
My parents bought a holiday home down the coast last summer, which got me thinking about fishing. I asked the locals and it turns out it's either charter boats or the rocks that people have recently died on/been washed off. I put it on the back burner, but this summer I've been slowly realising I desperately need an outlet that isn't drinking all night long in the pub.

The last tackle shop I went into was a disaster. They just didn't seem to give a gently caress, "You need this and this, now go away." I'll try the other tackle shop in town this week, but the big killer is that where I'm based, the South West of Ireland, is supposedly a fisher's dream. We have so many brits coming over here to fish. The problem why it's not so good for me is that all those dream spots need driving to and I can't drive.

I'm about 90 minutes walk (along dangerous roads) to a few spots on the harbour, so I'm either going to see about getting a lift, doing an awkward circuitous bus trip, or risking my life and walking to a few of those spots. They're all inner harbour areas where other people in my situation fish, so I'm gonna look like a right eejit the first few times.

Talking to a few people online they pretty much say, "Just throw your hook in the water and see what happens." Which I've resigned myself to doing. I'm planning on using lures and soft bait rather than live bait because live bait seems like another layer of hassle I don't need at the start. So a spinning rod, reel and some soft baits to start me off within my budget. This is the google maps of where I'm going to try standing on my own with absolutely no luck or clue about what I'm doing come pay-day. https://www.google.com/maps/@51.8369748,-8.3101877,882m/data=!3m1!1e3

So, to sum up, are there any UK/Ireland fishing people about? I know NA and Australia is a vastly different experience to what I have available to me.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I’d still give two size 10 hooks with squid on a surf rig a look at. Squid is easy to buy in advance and prep into small strips in a little baggy so you don’t have to carry around a whole sack of squid. Freezes very well also.

Take some pictures of the area. Kinda curious you may have eels if there’s rocks. Also crabs! Brown crabs are related to the red rock crabs I catch. Just requires a trap that may be a bit bulky for walking but you could try a crab snare instead. It’s a just a small baited box with loops all over it. Fairly cheap and I’ve seen people use them successfully but I’ve always found box traps better for me.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

I'd try slow rolling a small paddle tail like a keitech 4" swing impact around in whatever color matches the bait in your area if you want an artificial. Or slap some fukkin squid on a circle hook and chuck it out there. I've never gone wrong with squid, even if I personally prefer shrimp as my bait of choice.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Ah, the trials of the self taught fisherman. At least in this day and age, we have YOUTUBE! Which is honestly an amazing resource for learning how to fish. Just watch fishing videos, and don't be afraid to reach out to the creators for tips!

If I was you, I'd get a medium stiffness, 6 or 7ft rod for easy packing. Get one that comes apart in the middle, that will help you get around more easily. 12lb monofillament line on your reel is a good weight. Dont buy the most expensive stuff, you're just starting and you'll end up breaking and loosing quite a bit.

Practice tying knots before you get out there, and if you get frustrated, don't give up. Most of the effort of fishing is loving around tying knots or finding spots or untangling poo poo or getting snagged and not catching loving anything. But you get better at it the more you do it. Don't worry, no one is staring at you or judging you, and if you're polite and approachable, I find the fishing community is quite approachable.

Always have needle nose pliers. If your tackle bag is nothing but a few hooks, bobbers, bread and needle nose pliers, you're well set.

Found this video, maybe a good starting point for you? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLADRTVO9Tc https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGKg5cF8GEc

Don't be afraid to ask stupid questions, we're here for you. We were all new once.

\/\/\/ Big hat and sunglasses are pro tips. Sunscreen, bug spray, and water too! Stay protected! \/\/\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 9, 2019

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Surgical pliers also are awesome for pulling hooks out of stuff. Also, bring a cheap hat and polarized sun glasses. They help keep the sun off your eyes and let you see in the water!

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

Suspect Bucket posted:

Ah, the trials of the self taught fisherman. At least in this day and age, we have YOUTUBE! Which is honestly an amazing resource for learning how to fish. Just watch fishing videos, and don't be afraid to reach out to the creators for tips!

Hoah boy have I been watching videos. I think half my worries are just pre-getting-out-there anxiety. Like it's a whole other world (beneath the waves) and I'm sticking a pink jelly thingy just beneath its surface to fool the fishies into becoming dinner, like some weird god. How the hell do I know if the fishes are even there? How do I know they like pink jelly yokies rather than blue, or red? Maybe they do like pink jelly thingies rather than blue, or red, but like them to wobble rather than jiggle? And, after all that, what if I'm putting my fishing bits in the fishy demilitarised zone or the fishy desert? I guess that's half the fun, but starting out to have someone say, "You're not doing it wrong, you're just unlucky," would be a big boost rather than fumbling along not knowing if I am just unlucky or maybe I am doing it wrong, and so need to do it right.

I think the other half of my anxiety is actually the feeling of a lack-of-independence. I've seen a load of video of people fishing areas within a few hours drive of me but knowing I'll never be able to drive to them really hits home the point that a lot of things are out of reach if you're stuck to trains and buses.

I'll hit the tackle shop during the week, and get setup. It seems like €100 or €120 well get me a pretty decent setup and then I'll see about hitting a few spots.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Mrenda posted:

I'm planning on using lures and soft bait rather than live bait because live bait seems like another layer of hassle I don't need at the start.

Actually I think most fishermen would agree using bait is much, much easier when you're first starting out. there's a lot of nuance in presentation and the way you physically move an artificial bait that simply isn't needed when using the real stuff. mostly due to the bait smelling like food, so all you need to do is throw it in the water.

Also it's a very good thing if there's other people around fishing. just watch what they do and try to learn from it. I wouldn't say fishing is necessarily an inherently social or solo hobby, but you'll find some people that want nothing more than to talk your ear off all day when you're out there. try to use that to your advantage if you can.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Mrenda posted:

How do I know they like pink jelly yokies rather than blue, or red? Maybe they do like pink jelly thingies rather than blue, or red, but like them to wobble rather than jiggle? And, after all that, what if I'm putting my fishing bits in the fishy demilitarised zone or the fishy desert? I guess that's half the fun, but starting out to have someone say, "You're not doing it wrong, you're just unlucky," would be a big boost rather than fumbling along not knowing if I am just unlucky or maybe I am doing it wrong, and so need to do it right.

Haha, no worries. Honestly, what fish bite on is down to luck a lot of days. Just try different stuff, don't be afraid to switch it up, but at the same time, have patience! For instance. Me and the BF were doing some fishing at the local pond, he had green and gold wigglies, I had a white wiggly (Trout Magnets). I caught six little panfish, he got bupkis and was being stubborn about changing to white. He finally tried it, and caught two panfish. The next day, he goes out with the white to the same spot, catches nothing, looses the lure and switches to green, catches tons. Fish are just weird.

To be perfectly honest, a lot of fishing is bullshit. It's a bit like wine tasting, except at the end of wine tasting you're broke and drunk, at the end of fishing, you're just broke.

You may want to start with cut bait and stuff, live bait is a pain in the rear end. Just throw a chunk of something tasty under a bobber, like worms or sausage.

But hey, do what interests you! Good luck and keep us updated!

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Mrenda posted:

Hoah boy have I been watching videos. I think half my worries are just pre-getting-out-there anxiety. Like it's a whole other world (beneath the waves) and I'm sticking a pink jelly thingy just beneath its surface to fool the fishies into becoming dinner, like some weird god. How the hell do I know if the fishes are even there? How do I know they like pink jelly yokies rather than blue, or red? Maybe they do like pink jelly thingies rather than blue, or red, but like them to wobble rather than jiggle? And, after all that, what if I'm putting my fishing bits in the fishy demilitarised zone or the fishy desert? I guess that's half the fun, but starting out to have someone say, "You're not doing it wrong, you're just unlucky," would be a big boost rather than fumbling along not knowing if I am just unlucky or maybe I am doing it wrong, and so need to do it right.

I think the other half of my anxiety is actually the feeling of a lack-of-independence. I've seen a load of video of people fishing areas within a few hours drive of me but knowing I'll never be able to drive to them really hits home the point that a lot of things are out of reach if you're stuck to trains and buses.

I'll hit the tackle shop during the week, and get setup. It seems like €100 or €120 well get me a pretty decent setup and then I'll see about hitting a few spots.

What species are to hoping to catch?

Have you been for a walk around the harbour and seen where people are fishing and what they are doing/lures they are using? The easiest way to learn how to fish is find someone who catches lots and copy what they do as much as possible.

If you're using lures you should be able to move around a bit. Use that to your advantage, have half a dozen casts in one spot in a sort of fan pattern to cover more area, then walk 30m down the shoreline and try again. You'll get a better understanding of the area you're fishing that way and you'll be finding the fish rather than waiting for them to find you.

If you're not sure about which lure to use just go with something natural looking like blue, silver or white. Fish eat other fish so the obvious choice of lure is one that looks as much as possible like the fish they're trying to eat. Sometimes other random colours work extremely well (google Gulp nuclear chicken and Zman bleeding banana - two of my favourites) but natural ones are probably better while you gain confidence. Get some lure scent like pro-cure while you're stocking up on gear too.

If you can't drive can you get a push bike and a travel rod that will fit in a backpack? That would open up a lot more locations for you.