Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lambert posted:

You can still set separate delays for feature and security updates, go to the Advanced options

I don't seem to have that.

OTOH I also have group policies set that override most of the automatic behavior, so maybe MS has taken them away to punish me.

mystes posted:

I'm sure that was the case once, but in 2019 the only thing crazier than giving Google the benefit of the doubt with respect to blocking chredge is giving Google the benefit of the doubt with respect to having a coherent strategy.

I laughed, touche.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Last Chance posted:

Are you messing with me? They literally installed a browser plugin as part of a marketing campaign for HBO's Mr. Roboto for free. I guess that makes it okay somehow?

Can you clarify what "the underlying action" was again here? The thing that was okay? I really wanna know what it is

The extension did absolutely nothing unless you knew the secret about :config flag to activate it. That much is acceptable. The problem was that it showed up in people's extension lists unexpectedly. They should have made it download on demand or not be an extension at all.

And it was not marketing for Mr. Robot, because you needed to come from there to know the secret activation method. It was a poorly thought through easter egg that if anything would have been an advertisement for firefox.

Dylan16807 fucked around with this message at 11:30 on May 29, 2019

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Mr. Robot is a USA show, not HBO.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Was the extension they pushed to users that would send all user interactions with websites and visited URLs to a third-party also a neat easter egg?

Also, I don't like ads pushed to my browser in general, doesn't matter you think it's "neat".

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Lambert posted:

Was the extension they pushed to users that would send all user interactions with websites and visited URLs to a third-party also a neat easter egg?

Also, I don't like ads pushed to my browser in general, doesn't matter you think it's "neat".

Could you be more specific? What extension and when? What third party?

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!
Perhaps Cliqz? https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/privacy/archive/firefox-cliqz/2018-06/

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Lambert posted:

No firefucks given

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Well, this is the second time in a row I’ve had to do a clean install to get the new version. Last time, it errored out after rebooting. This time, it took four hours before the first reboot, then took ten minutes to start up, and went to the Advanced Startup Options page instead of Setup. Meanwhile, a clean install took less time than the time it took to create the USB stick. And yes, I disconnected all my other drives and card readers before trying to upgrade, even the internal ones. This wouldn’t be so bad, except that setting up my development environments takes forever.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Lambert posted:

I'm not arguing about whether it's neat, I'm saying that when an easter egg is impossible to accidentally activate then it's not an ad.

People only cared about it because they hosed up the deployment. This is separate from the easter egg itself.

And I said in my first post that Cliqz was bad. (Though they didn't actually push it to users, only new installs could get it. Still a very bad idea.)

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah I don't know, considering that the Mozilla team probably worked directly with USA's marketing/advertising departmetn to make this ARG plugin that promoted a TV show, I don't know if there's any meaningful difference between an "easter egg" and an advertisement in this case. If looks like a duck, quacks like a duck... Even if it's "impossible to quack accidentally," it's probably still a duck

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Last Chance posted:

Yeah I don't know, considering that the Mozilla team probably worked directly with USA's marketing/advertising departmetn to make this ARG plugin that promoted a TV show, I don't know if there's any meaningful difference between an "easter egg" and an advertisement in this case. If looks like a duck, quacks like a duck... Even if it's "impossible to quack accidentally," it's probably still a duck
Well if they did the deployment right it would have been invisible and hidden in a box deep in the basement. So sure it can quack but it's not there to introduce anyone to quacking.

I think that's how this analogy goes, at least.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Klyith posted:

OTOH I also have group policies set that override most of the automatic behavior, so maybe MS has taken them away to punish me.

When examining my group policies, I found there's one to do the thing I want:
Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Windows Update/Windows Update for Business/Select when Preview Builds and Feature Updates are received
That can be set for Semi-Annual Channel with a custom number of days to delay feature updates.

Last Chance posted:

IIRC it was just a guy in mozilla who made the thing with the mr robot guys in his spare time, got permission to deploy it in the developer studies thing, and involved no money from either side. It wasn't an ad, it was easter egg for nerds who liked a tv show.

However, it wasn't a good idea because they'd already broken people's trust in their hidden developer extensions. That's the real problem, once you break trust there will always be people who see ducks everywhere. It doesn't matter what the truth is, once the internet is yelling about ducks everyone thinks it must be a duck.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I did a clean install of 1903 and it still boots about three 3x as long as it used to. Not a big deal but it's a little irritating.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

CubanMissile posted:

I did a clean install of 1903 and it still boots about three 3x as long as it used to. Not a big deal but it's a little irritating.

You can profile it with Windows Performance Recorder and see where the problem is

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
I think my favorite Windows 10 feature is how they stopped releasing Windows versions so if you search a fix for something "windows 10 <fix>" you get millions of results showing techniques that no longer exist in whatever the current version happens to be. Brilliant idea MS.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Considering 1903 was supposed to be the "cleanup" release with few new features but bug free after the disastrous 1809, it's extremely buggy.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

revmoo posted:

I think my favorite Windows 10 feature is how they stopped releasing Windows versions so if you search a fix for something "windows 10 <fix>" you get millions of results showing techniques that no longer exist in whatever the current version happens to be. Brilliant idea MS.
Yeah, I've occasionally been changing settings through the registry or with powershell because it had become the path of the least resistance.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Having the development of various components in the open is certainly an interesting thing to witness. After revealing the new Terminal app, people figured out quickly that the AltGr key isn't working. That bug has been filed more than three weeks ago now, and for some reason, the fix takes its sweet time. You'd figure a modifier key is a kinda important thing that needs to function. I suppose no one in the US needs it?

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

People in the US mostly don't even know it exists. I believe it doesn't even do anything in the default US keyboard layout, yet another reason why US-International is the superior choice.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Is anyone else not having the windows fade in/out animations working? It works initially after a reboot but then stops within about a minute.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Geemer posted:

People in the US mostly don't even know it exists. I believe it doesn't even do anything in the default US keyboard layout, yet another reason why US-International is the superior choice.
Yea, that's unfortunate, because I need AltGr for at least those: { [ ] } \ | @ €

Hope that one gets fixed for when the official public preview is due.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Geemer posted:

US-International is okay, but having dead keys by default sucks. Though it looks like someone took the time to make the keyboard layout I've always wanted: https://github.com/thomasfaingnaert/win-us-intl-altgr

Still annoying that AltGr can't be used with the arrow keys to go back and forward.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Anyone having an issue with 1903 not going to sleep or shutting off the screen?

I am!

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

revmoo posted:

And the first few hits are gonna be generic windows advice which leads up to an ad for PC cleanup software.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I wish there was a key combo in Windows for the left and right quotation marks like there is in macOS, iOS, and Android. On Windows, you have to enable a registry setting to enter Unicode code points with the Alt and Plus keys, remember the code points for the characters, and hope the program you’re using doesn’t think you’re trying to use a shortcut.

CubanMissile posted:

And the first few hits are gonna be generic windows advice which leads up to an ad for PC cleanup software.

Don’t forget the Microsoft forum post about your exact problem, with the Best Answer being a useless form response and two or three other responses that amount to, “Yup, that sure is a problem you have there.”

Also, a thread from some random tech forum that may or may not be related to your problem that has been stolen and copied verbatim about 20 times.

Double Punctuation fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 31, 2019

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Don't forget the ones that do actually fix the issue, but is either a YouTube video with no commentary and a dubstep soundtrack, or is in article form but prefaced with a thesis on how Windows is a popular OS and hey, did you know that sometimes it has bugs, and the one you have is a common issue that we're going to learn how to fix today?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Running sfc /scannow is apparently the solution to any problem (it isn't).

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Don't forget the ones that do actually fix the issue, but is either a YouTube video with no commentary and a dubstep soundtrack, or is in article form but prefaced with a thesis on how Windows is a popular OS and hey, did you know that sometimes it has bugs, and the one you have is a common issue that we're going to learn how to fix today?

You forgot the part where they type narration into Notepad very slowly

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Seriously why do they all have to be youtube videos now? I assume the content makers get money from it but it can't be much these days.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
All of these complaints about googling for solutions are spot loving on and it's infuriating. (I used to have a similar gripe about 8 vs 8.1 though that wasn't nearly as bad.) I was especially annoyed when one method after another for getting gpedit to work in the home version was worthless because good old MS had put the kibosh on them.

The only ways I've come up with for combating this is to limit the date range, and, hear me out, to include "reddit" in the search terms. I find that place as insufferable as anyone here but god drat if they aren't good for finding answers to technical stuff. This trick (reddit I mean) actually works for a lot of things.

It would be grand if putting "something awful" in there was helpful but welp. That's ok it's a small price to pay for the benefits of the paywall.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 16:51 on May 31, 2019

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Hipster_Doofus posted:

All of these complaints about googling for solutions are spot loving on and it's infuriating. (I used to have a similar gripe about 8 vs 8.1 though that wasn't nearly as bad.) I was especially annoyed when one method after another for getting gpedit to work in the home version was worthless because good old MS had put the kibosh on them.

The only ways I've come up with for combating this is to limit the date range, and, hear me out, to include "reddit" in the search terms. I find that place as insufferable as anyone here but god drat if they aren't good for finding answers to technical stuff. This trick (reddit I mean) actually works for a lot of things.

It would be grand if putting "something awful" in there was helpful but welp. That's ok it's a small price to pay for the benefits of the paywall.

Site:forums.somethingawful.com ?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Reddit gets much more posts and users making many questions at least asked, but boy do the answers often suck. I'd ask on here first personally.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 1, 2019

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

how do i stop apps from changing the color of start menu icons / clickable links / the bar at the bottom of taskbar icons?

i switched to firefox recently and now whenever it's active all those turn yellow and it's driving me crazy.

everything yellow here used to just be a nice blue all the time.

i've checked personalize -> colors and didn't see any way to disable.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Weid. Do you have "automatically pick an accent color from my background" enabled? Might be the culprit, disable that one and pick a color manually.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Snuffman posted:

So is it just not possible to update to 1903 from a USB? Has Microsoft acknowledged the whole "cant upgrade cause there's a USB device plugged in" is a bug?

I had the 1903 update refusing to update with a USB wireless dongle plugged in. :psyduck:

I resorted to just installing from the update tool instead.

I ran the update tool. I meant I disconnected and USB drives before I ran it.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
So is search bloody useless or what? It says "working on it" but never tells you when it is actually finished searching does it?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Lambert posted:

Weid. Do you have "automatically pick an accent color from my background" enabled? Might be the culprit, disable that one and pick a color manually.

nope, this is disabled

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

baram. posted:

nope, this is disabled

Did you already try changing back to the Windows 10 default theme ("Themes" menu in Personalization)

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

EoRaptor posted:

Site:forums.somethingawful.com ?

Yeah, but the paywall...

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

So is search bloody useless or what? It says "working on it" but never tells you when it is actually finished searching does it?

1. Yes (but you knew that already).
2. :iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
1903 has one cool feature I enjoy. You can make the mouse cursor HUGE and colored. :D