Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

yeah his heart's in the right place for sure

page 4 is weird because he dismisses gay male femininity being a cultural thing, then explains how it might come about culturally

also the whole thing is weird because where the lesbians at

but yeah it's not mean or spiteful, even accidentally so, which is nice. I just think he's turbo-focused on genetic evolution being the key determining factor for literally everything, it's kinda his deal, and he loses sight of other factors and ends up commonly projecting a 21st-century Westerner's idea of culture and family life onto prehistoric peoples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hawking
Aug 8, 2002

SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!
SHUT UP!!!

Peanut Butler posted:

he loses sight of other factors and ends up commonly projecting a 21st-century Westerner's idea of culture and family life onto prehistoric peoples
Definitely purestrain Thorsby.

I got a good laugh at the facial expressions and reactions of the self-aware prehistoric couple that repeatedly ended up as bear chow.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
What I love about Thorsby logic is that even if you're pretty sure the conclusion is wrong, actually working out WHY it's wrong is not a trivial task.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Peanut Butler posted:

page 4 is weird because he dismisses gay male femininity being a cultural thing, then explains how it might come about culturally

This part I found particularly strange because basically all features of "masculinity" and "femininity" are culturally-constructed and different cultures and different times in history have radically different conceptions of what's masculine and what's feminine, yet they pretty much all claim it's biologically-determined even though it clearly can't be. But I feel like Thorsby would never accept something as a cultural construct because his whole deal is that literally 100% of all activity is determined by evolution.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

He literally says it's culturally constructed right up front, it's called a thought experiment

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

He literally says it's culturally constructed right up front, it's called a thought experiment

Actually, he has the character say, "let's assume it isn't just a stereotype, or a cultural construct. Here are the what the evolutionary reasons for it might be." He doesn't take a position on whether masculinity and femininity are cultural constructs or genetically determined - rather, he allows that he doesn't know, and then proposes a theory for what an evolutionary basis for social gender constructs might look like.

I think it's pretty daft, though harmless, but you're misrepresenting what's said in the comic here.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Android Blues posted:

I think it's pretty daft, though harmless, but you're misrepresenting what's said in the comic here.

yeah that's kinda my take; I'm accustomed to this kind of theorizing being disingenuous and from worse people- like the heavy gay gene theorizing is typically coming from people going 'this means we can get rid of gayness through eugenics'

Thorsby also strikes me as someone who'd listen to people telling him why he's wrong

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Meme Emulator posted:

Oh yea, I saw you kissing a bunch of dudes before. Guess you can live.
it's even better

"Oh yeah, I remember you kissing a bunch of dudes earlier. Guess you can live."

dude's got a dudes-who-kiss-dudes section of his memory for, uh, no reason I'm sure

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

oh hey there’s tharg kissing a bunch of dudes. better make a mental note of this, might come up later

M Condriano
Mar 22, 2019

by FactsAreUseless

Peanut Butler posted:

yeah that's kinda my take; I'm accustomed to this kind of theorizing being disingenuous and from worse people- like the heavy gay gene theorizing is typically coming from people going 'this means we can get rid of gayness through eugenics'

Thorsby also strikes me as someone who'd listen to people telling him why he's wrong

I think at this point we can safely assume that Thorsby has no interest in trying to tell other people how to live their lives, and prefers an answer in which the most if not all people are made happy, safe, and secure, based on all his output so far. Also like a third of his protagonists have been gay and the only character to say anything about it was the villain of the comic, Hillary Clinton, so I didn't really come into this expecting any conclusion other than "gay love saves lives".

M Condriano fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 1, 2019

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
Thorsby would also have extra respect for gay relationships, because they allow him to construct even more elaborate farces.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

M Condriano posted:

I think at this point we can safely assume that Thorsby has no interest in trying to tell other people how to live their lives, and prefers an answer in which the most if not all people are made happy, safe, and secure, based on all his output so far. Also like a third of his protagonists have been gay and the only character to say anything about it was the villain of the comic, Hillary Clinton, so I didn't really come into this expecting any conclusion other than "gay love saves lives".

There was also that language teacher. :v

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

rear end in a top hat uncle who immediately died as well.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
http://trixie.webcomic.ws/comics/385

lmao

Lyndon has a spell that locks and unlocks things and yet he never once thought to lock the door behind them while they were standing around reading a dude's diary

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
lmao

I like how it's one spell that does both for maximum hilarity, he clearly didn't just forget he had it

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

thats just skeleton key backwards goddammit lyndon

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

M Condriano posted:

well yeah that's the assumption I went into it with, but there was still a girding involved because even allies can still have some weird and harmful ideas about LGBTQ stuff- safely assuming that other people think positively about queerness can be, uhhh, v dangerous

was glad to see my assumption be correct! it was merely kind of weird and uninformed rather than outright bizarre and revealing of darker premises in his mind, or the kind of thing that a right-winger could run with despite thorsby's best intentions

that said, I'll reiterate: where tf the lesbians at

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Peanut Butler posted:

that said, I'll reiterate: where tf the lesbians at

they're busy fuckin'

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Synthbuttrange posted:

thats just skeleton key backwards goddammit lyndon

It's so blatant, I wonder if the other spells were just literally what they are but rearranged as well or something. Big difference is that the others weren't as obvious about it, if so.

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!

Dragonatrix posted:

It's so blatant, I wonder if the other spells were just literally what they are but rearranged as well or something. Big difference is that the others weren't as obvious about it, if so.

I'm somewhat skeptical that 'snorepore snoozepooze' is an anagram.

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
As a bisexual, suicidal person I was holding my breath through that whole thing because a lesser webcomic creator would have ended up revealing some lovely opinions in a nonfiction comic about the genetic evolution of homosexuality and suicide and I don’t think I’d be able to handle Thorsby having bad opinions, but it turned out he’s still the same overly hyper-logical goof we know and love. And fuckin lol at the couple getting killed by the bear.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
The real secret is that Lyndon has learned Plausible Deniability magic, and is pretending to use Pacifism Magic. But he has to invent an incantation, and they can't all be winners.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Elfface posted:

The real secret is that Lyndon has learned Plausible Deniability magic, and is pretending to use Pacifism Magic. But he has to invent an incantation, and they can't all be winners.

Does this mean that when he kills someone this time he'll have to come up with increasingly- implausible reasons for how they could still be alive?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

WIZARD FIGHT

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

http://trixie.thecomicseries.com/comics/386

lyndon is cool now

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

I said this too, once, and then the very next strip he went and ate that loving cupcake.

Leroy Dennui
Aug 9, 2014

Gina McCarthy made us gay,
but we would not have met
had Biden not dropped his cones
:gaysper::frogbon:
Lyndon went all Magical Realism on us.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Why did they let Lyndon learn all this magic?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

He didn't tell them and they didn't know enough about pacifism magic to realise.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I suppose you could practice but with the collar on, there's no way for anyone to tell if it's actually doing anything

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Leroy Dennui posted:

Lyndon went all Magical Realism on us.

Without clicking, I know which strip this is, because it's exactly the one I was about to post. Strong Achewood vibes.

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
Lyndon's got a little trick that he thinks you'll love

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0El9hSd4Es

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Lyndon is the best boyfriend.

gimme all them bananas

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

He never learned the spell to make his hand stop glowing and it's Lyndon as hell.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

all those bananas are bruised and soft now

just the worst.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Synthbuttrange posted:

all those bananas are bruised and soft now

just the worst.

Also, they'll probably result in the worst possible outcome in a Thorsby comic: They'll attract wild animals.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

maltesh posted:

Also, they'll probably result in the worst possible outcome in a Thorsby comic: They'll attract wild animals.

Such a beautiful bunch of ripe banana can only come with a hidden deadly black tarantula.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
Screamville, home of the prestigious Lungripper Peace Prize.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
http://trixie.webcomic.ws/comics/388

I guess we finally found out how the Skyggemyrians were always one step ahead of them in the treasure hunts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

Screamville, home of the prestigious Lungripper Peace Prize.

Ice-Creamville?