Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
I totally believe a cop would do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Bobby Digital posted:

I totally believe a cop would do that.

Give up the chance to be a real-life John Wick? Pshhht. Only in your dreams would a cop turn down a chance to shoot at someone with impunity.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Our amnesia made us forget everything except that we were pen pals.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
Two people living next door, suffering from the same form of extremely rare and mostly debunked disorder, both owning a PO box despite being children when it started! What are the odds!!

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

extremely rare and mostly debunked disorder

I'm sorry, what?

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Zipperelli. posted:

I'm sorry, what?

Movie amnesia is mostly horse poo poo

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

You mean I can't wake up fully functional and otherwise healthy, just missing every single memory??

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

bike tory posted:

You mean I can't wake up fully functional and otherwise healthy, just missing every single memory??

A girl in high school seriously tried that. She was nuts and alienated all her friends, so she fell over in front of them and lightly tapped her head on the ground. She woke up doing the “Who are you? Where am I?” routine.

Brain scan showed absolutely no damage, but she stuck with it to everyone, parents and teachers included. It conveniently only wiped the memory of the last few years and only what she needed to have reset. We were advised to play along with it to keep her from doing something even more drastic.

That was 10 years ago now. Never talked to her since, so I know she got pregnant and married right out of high school but I don’t know if she kept it up.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

freeedr posted:

Movie amnesia is mostly horse poo poo

Oh, because I was gonna say... Amnesia is definitely a thing, just not how that idiot is describing it.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

chitoryu12 posted:

A girl in high school seriously tried that. She was nuts and alienated all her friends, so she fell over in front of them and lightly tapped her head on the ground. She woke up doing the “Who are you? Where am I?” routine.

Brain scan showed absolutely no damage, but she stuck with it to everyone, parents and teachers included. It conveniently only wiped the memory of the last few years and only what she needed to have reset. We were advised to play along with it to keep her from doing something even more drastic.

That was 10 years ago now. Never talked to her since, so I know she got pregnant and married right out of high school but I don’t know if she kept it up.

...I mean, I'm kind of impressed by the commitment.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Zipperelli. posted:

Oh, because I was gonna say... Amnesia is definitely a thing, just not how that idiot is describing it.

I assumed that post was a joke, and the guy was basically doing Steamed Hams; i.e., make up a lie and see how long you can keep it going.

Also, movie amnesia may be bullshit, but at least it’s not as bad as movie multiple personalities.

clockwork chaos
Sep 15, 2009

movie narcolepsy sucks, its just haha the person passed out, aint that wacky! Instead of the constant tiredness that builds up because no matter how much sleep you get, none of it is restful and you're so exhausted every day that just staying awake is a constant losing battle of attrition

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

clockwork chaos posted:

movie narcolepsy sucks, its just haha the person passed out, aint that wacky! Instead of the constant tiredness that builds up because no matter how much sleep you get, none of it is restful and you're so exhausted every day that just staying awake is a constant losing battle of attrition

Would you believe Third Eye Blind understood this? https://youtu.be/m9yFxAYDEvI

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

clockwork chaos posted:

Yeah, one of my employees has it. We made a special arrangement for her to come in when she's awake, which means she usually doesn't arrive until between 11:00 and 1:00. The hard part is dealing with her being exhausted even after she arrives or forgetting to do things she's asked to do at the end of the day, which can lead to cases of her totally missing important tasks.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, one of my employees has it. We made a special arrangement for her to come in when she's awake, which means she usually doesn't arrive until between 11:00 and 1:00. The hard part is dealing with her being exhausted even after she arrives or forgetting to do things she's asked to do at the end of the day, which can lead to cases of her totally missing important tasks.

I like the new red text

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

clockwork chaos posted:

Tourettes gets kind of the same movie treatment. For probably the most inaccurate portrayals of each, check out Deuce Bigalow. I mean, the movie is pretty funny, but I think a lot of people didn't get that it was being overplayed for humor and ask people with tourettes why they aren't constantly screeching about cocks and balls.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Tourettes gets kind of the same movie treatment. For probably the most inaccurate portrayals of each, check out Deuce Bigalow. I mean, the movie is pretty funny, but I think a lot of people didn't get that it was being overplayed for humor and ask people with tourettes why they aren't constantly screeching about cocks and balls.

Yes. Though I do like the fact that those few people that do have vulgar verbal tics in real life have “coprolalia” which basically literally translates to “poo poo-talking”

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I ask people who aren't suffering from Tourette's that very same question every day. I am yet to receive a satisfactory answer.

Jollity Farm
Apr 23, 2010

Movie depression is always more glamorous and artistic than the real thing. The real thing is very dreary and not photogenic at all.

And then there's movie schizophrenia, which schizophrenics are better qualified to complain about than me, although I do know that movies barely get that right either (and so a lot of unhappy schizophrenics have to deal not only with their condition, but with people's perceptions of them as violent criminals with voices in their head telling them to KILL)

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I thought schizophrenics just hallucinate about Paul Bettany and throw desks out of windows.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I thought schizophrenics just hallucinate about Paul Bettany and throw desks out of windows.

Sometimes the voices in their head turn them super swole

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
[quote="Jollity Farm" post=""495583107"]

And then there's movie schizophrenia, which schizophrenics are better qualified to complain about than me, although I do know that movies barely get that right either (and so a lot of unhappy schizophrenics have to deal not only with their condition, but with people's perceptions of them as violent criminals with voices in their head telling them to KILL)
[/quote]

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=THh1pPWEoWs

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Amazingly, one of the most accurate and respectful portrayals was on South Park.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Jurgan posted:

Amazingly, one of the most accurate and respectful portrayals was on South Park.

Well, if they went with the stereotype of just say "poo poo gently caress balls" at random, how would anyone know they were different from the rest of the characters?

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Jollity Farm posted:

Movie depression is always more glamorous and artistic than the real thing. The real thing is very dreary and not photogenic at all.

--me watching any movie depicting mental illness

fe: any y'all seen Braid? that one was a doozy.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

--me watching any movie depicting mental illness

fe: any y'all seen Braid? that one was a doozy.

It was not the dumbest movie I ever saw

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It was not the dumbest movie I ever saw

oh dear :whitewater:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Because it was mentioned in another thread, I've been watching Ever Decreasing Circles, an 80s sitcom, which is about a character played by Richard Briers who seems to have something similar to Narcissistic personality disorder - he defines himself entirely by his relationships to other people, specifically that he always did things exactly as he liked to do them and is head of every committee so that he has all the control, even though the workload stresses him out to no end, and when he feels like he's losing control he really has trouble coping, either retreating into himself or exploding at everyone else at what he feels is a betrayal whenever they want to do something a little different.

Here's a timestamp from an episode that shows how his issues are portrayed, thought you'd find it interesting.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x75v7en?start=884 There is a scene immediately after with his wife that shows how he has trouble empathising with others too.

Of course since it was 1985 the writers may not have known what they had in this character, as at least Briers in an interview just thinks of his character as "An awful person, but with a sensitivity/sympathetic portrayal that makes it work" so it's similarity to an actual issue may have been accidental. Figured you'd be interested given this conversation.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 05:14 on Jun 3, 2019

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

^^^ :respek: I am also not sure if the writers to which I'm referring were 100% aware of what they were depicting but, similarly, it ended up being really accurate whether they meant to do it or not ^^^

I really liked the depiction of Norma Bates's bipolar disorder in Bates Motel (of all things). It's never explicitly stated that she has it (at most there's a couple throwaway remarks about family mental illness) but as someone who's spent a large portion of her life as an unmedicated bipolar person her behavior and interactions were all really, really on the nose. I don't remember it ever being particularly portrayed as her fault, either. She's a messed up person who's trying her hardest, but she makes rash, bad choices and isn't really cognizant of how and why she's behaving poorly.

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 05:20 on Jun 3, 2019

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
This conversation seems tangientally related to the thread, as it's "Decent portrayals of mental illness that (except for a few exceptions) didn't happen"

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

:yeah:

I try to avoid contributing to derails but every now and again I just want to throw my two worthless cents in, y'know

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Can we also throw in PTSD? I hate the way it's loving portrayed in the media.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

BioEnchanted posted:

Because it was mentioned in another thread, I've been watching Ever Decreasing Circles, an 80s sitcom, which is about a character played by Richard Briers who seems to have something similar to Narcissistic personality disorder - he defines himself entirely by his relationships to other people, specifically that he always did things exactly as he liked to do them and is head of every committee so that he has all the control, even though the workload stresses him out to no end, and when he feels like he's losing control he really has trouble coping, either retreating into himself or exploding at everyone else at what he feels is a betrayal whenever they want to do something a little different.

Here's a timestamp from an episode that shows how his issues are portrayed, thought you'd find it interesting.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x75v7en?start=884 There is a scene immediately after with his wife that shows how he has trouble empathising with others too.

Of course since it was 1985 the writers may not have known what they had in this character, as at least Briers in an interview just thinks of his character as "An awful person, but with a sensitivity/sympathetic portrayal that makes it work" so it's similarity to an actual issue may have been accidental. Figured you'd be interested given this conversation.

Are you creating television shows now too? Does any idea you have just manifest itself as a physical thing that history rewrites itself around?

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ilmucche posted:

Are you creating television shows now too? Does any idea you have just manifest itself as a physical thing that history rewrites itself around?

I'm sorry but what?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

dovetaile posted:

I'm sorry but what?

Bioenchanted is an obscure media sorcerer

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
So is this a chud who bought so hard into the "literally shaking" meme that they actually think it adds authenticity?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Splicer posted:

So is this a chud who bought so hard into the "literally shaking" meme that they actually think it adds authenticity?

he shook

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I literally SHIDDED AND FARDED AND camed my pants when a non Nazi did a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Also, even if it were real (and it definitely isn't), it seems all they want is to have the parents meet with a councilor. I don't think that's an unreasonable request for a parent.