Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Am I the last person in the world to discover how nice it is to just paint your plastic while it is still on the sprue? I feel like I just discovered some next level galaxy brain poo poo here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Am I the last person in the world to discover how nice it is to just paint your plastic while it is still on the sprue? I feel like I just discovered some next level galaxy brain poo poo here.

Interested to hear how you feel when you clip it off the sprue and need to paint over all the gates and mold lines

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Booley posted:

Interested to hear how you feel when you clip it off the sprue and need to paint over all the gates and mold lines

It shouldn't be too big of a deal, just minor touch ups? I figured the time saved is worth it but trip report to follow. :v:

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

I said come in! posted:

I'd rather just build subassemblies and paint those. I have them cleaned up for sprue marks and mold lines, I just paint them in 3 or 4 pieces and then assemble.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I said come in! posted:

It shouldn't be too big of a deal, just minor touch ups? I figured the time saved is worth it but trip report to follow. :v:

There's just too much work in those "touch ups" to make it worth it. You end up having the unprimed areas where the sprue was connecting, trimming mold lines after they've been primed is problematic at best, and gluing primed pieces isn't very effective so you also have to take time to scrape primer off all the contact points.

Basically it sounds like a good idea until you actually try to do it.

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
When I painted 80 napoleonic Portuguese I did it in pieces. But it's just body, backpack, and head.

The glue eats through everything but I had to use Revell and not Tamiya extra thin to get a good result. I primed everything in different colours and assembled them before washes.

It was neat

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Is there something I can use to break down super glue without ruining the model resin? Or ruining whatever the regular Games Workshop models are made out of? Accidentally super glued some things together that are fine enough that if I try to just break them apart it's just going to destroy the pieces instead of breaking them apart. It's not plastic glue just regular super glue from a hobby store.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Harvey Mantaco posted:

Is there something I can use to break down super glue without ruining the model resin? Or ruining whatever the regular Games Workshop models are made out of? Accidentally super glued some things together that are fine enough that if I try to just break them apart it's just going to destroy the pieces instead of breaking them apart. It's not plastic glue just regular super glue from a hobby store.

The go-to method for a lot of people is just sticking it in the freezer for 24 hours. The cold breaks down the super glue and most of the time you can easily pry it apart with minimal strength.

Let it get up to room temperature first though.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I painted up Summer from the Song of Ice and Fire minis game. I don't have much experience at all with painting fur, but I think it came out ok for a second or third time doing it. The sculpt helped out by being well defined in most areas, and taking washes well.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByKireYHApi/?igshid=2n0y4nngk4pf

This is over 5100 figures. :eyepop:

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

And that's all my Ork character units! This Nob w/ WAAAGH Banner will motivate the army to hit stuff better, assuming he ever see's the field!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Finished my Thousand Sons kill team. The suggestion to paint the sorcerer's robes off-white was on point.

Kill Teams are really nice painting projects because they're so easy to complete.

The speardude is an ersatz Tzangor. I'm too cheap to buy a box of ten goat-bird-men to use one of them for kill team. His name is Larry.

Geisladisk fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 2, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

drat dude

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

Geisladisk posted:

Finished my Thousand Sons kill team. The suggestion to paint the sorcerer's robes off-white was on point.

Kill Teams are really nice painting projects because they're so easy to complete.

The speardude is an ersatz Tzangor. I'm too cheap to buy a box of ten goat-bird-men to use one of them for kill team. His name is Larry.

Looks great! Solid work.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Larry is so hosed

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
All is Dust.*

*Except Larry

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

General Olloth posted:

Pictures of a giant model like this is hard.

Cross postin'

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

General Olloth posted:

Cross postin'

That looks loving great.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

gently caress yes

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Why did he take off his hat in two of the pictures :-(

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

Some extremely good looking models on this page!! :love:

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

General Olloth posted:

Cross postin'

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

That looks loving great.

That does look loving great. And the hat is a nice touch.

Because I'm insane and because I want to know whether a sort-by-SKU makes for a good color sorting order (I, uh, may be re-doing my swatch book, using that new "stone paper" stuff if it takes paint better than un-primed woodpulp paper), I just transcribed the entire Citadel paint line, including the new stuff as per the leaked stock printouts on that Bolterandchainsword thread, into a spreadsheet.

The Citadel paint line is going to be up to 53 base paints (up from 38), 93 layer paints (up from 77, including the 8 former edge paints), 31 dry paints (unchanged), 15 shade paints (unchanged), 25 technicals (up from 12, including 1 new texture-type paint, Mordant Earth, and the 11 existing texture-types), 78 air paints (up from 52), and 34 contrast paints (new); and, not counting the sprays and the short-potted texture paints (which I'm told were discontinued six months ago), only losing the four glaze paints and Ceramite White Base (in favor of a new Corax White Base).

It looks like in total it's going to bring the line from 244 paints to 329.

I also stopped at the local GW store, and the manager immediately knew what I was doing when he saw me pick up an extra pot of each of the glazes. We got to talking and he said that a) he hasn't heard anything about the glazes coming back later as an expansion to the Clear Air sub-line or any second wave of paints, but b) he doesn't really know much beyond the new stock lists.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

General Olloth posted:

Cross postin'

You have beautiful resin sons, both of you.

Count_Brass
Jul 16, 2009
Calling this one finished! Really need to work on freehand painting now, especially lettering.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Not a bad start, think you’ll get it finished by LVO?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Incredible work

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

ijyt posted:

Not a bad start, think you’ll get it finished by LVO?

It's a warm day out, thank goodness for all this shade.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Did a quick paint scheme test for some Stormcast I have sitting around.

I might do a little more highlighting on the metal bits of the armor with some brighter bronze, but overall, I'm pretty happy with the scheme.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Happy with this Blitz Bowl team. I'll apply transfers and seal them later, but as the paint goes I'm pretty happy. Maybe some extra white markings to further distinguish the blitzer from the linemen

MrFlibble
Nov 28, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fallen Rib

Booyah- posted:

Happy with this Blitz Bowl team. I'll apply transfers and seal them later, but as the paint goes I'm pretty happy. Maybe some extra white markings to further distinguish the blitzer from the linemen

Those look sweet dude. I'd love to see them when they're all transferred up.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
x-posting

richyp posted:

Inquisitor Yellowfax.

richyp fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 3, 2019

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

Finally took the time to paint Severina Raine, and I gotta say, this was the first model I didn't enjoy working on. So much flash and gates to cut away! Also, the resin had not only bent everywhere, but it had also picked up quite a few warps that I had massive troubles undoing. I never got her sabre quite right, and it bugs the everloving gently caress out of me :mad: A bunch of details were also lost, with most of the eagle-wings having turned into basic triangles, and the badges/medals were just lumps. Really disappointing. Basically, it felt like the sculptor had made a bunch of promises, that the resin wasn't able to deliver on.

Last resin model I'll ever work with.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

inscrutable horse posted:

Finally took the time to paint Severina Raine, and I gotta say, this was the first model I didn't enjoy working on. So much flash and gates to cut away! Also, the resin had not only bent everywhere, but it had also picked up quite a few warps that I had massive troubles undoing. I never got her sabre quite right, and it bugs the everloving gently caress out of me :mad: A bunch of details were also lost, with most of the eagle-wings having turned into basic triangles, and the badges/medals were just lumps. Really disappointing. Basically, it felt like the sculptor had made a bunch of promises, that the resin wasn't able to deliver on.

Last resin model I'll ever work with.

It isn't the material, it is Games Workshop.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Yeah seriously. If you have a halfway-decent team doing resin casts (i.e. not GW), the results are easily the sharpest, most-detailed models you can get. I have a bunch of resin figures from companies that actually put effort into their casts, and they blow hard plastics out of the water.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Let me amend my statement, then: That’s the last resin model from GW that I’ll ever work with.

Thankfully, I’ve got a bunch of Blackstone Fortress models left to paint, and they’ve been a treat to work with.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
It was supposed to come off as not putting you off resin entirely because of the other manufacturers Avenging Dentist mentioned :shobon:

Good luck with the Blackstone stuff. Some of it looks really fun.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

I had just assumed that resin was all manner of crud, since GW’s plastic sculpts have always been great in my experience, with the models always having the same level of detail as their box art. That model was just a double whammy of a fiasco, then, ‘cause it’s nowhere near as detailed as advertised.

Anyway, I shouldn’t let a single disappointment sour my mood like that. Many ‘hams left to paint! :)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

inscrutable horse posted:

I had just assumed that resin was all manner of crud, since GW’s plastic sculpts have always been great in my experience, with the models always having the same level of detail as their box art. That model was just a double whammy of a fiasco, then, ‘cause it’s nowhere near as detailed as advertised.

Anyway, I shouldn’t let a single disappointment sour my mood like that. Many ‘hams left to paint! :)

GW put so much money into their plastic stuff that their resin team somehow atrophied. What I don't understand is how they have a perfectly functional resin with FW but refuse to merge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

GW put so much money into their plastic stuff that their resin team somehow atrophied. What I don't understand is how they have a perfectly functional resin with FW but refuse to merge.

lmao the only thing less functional than FW resin is finecast. It's not exactly much of a step up.