Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What type of plants are you interested in growing?
This poll is closed.
Perennials! 142 20.91%
Annuals! 30 4.42%
Woody plants! 62 9.13%
Succulent plants! 171 25.18%
Tropical plants! 60 8.84%
Non-vascular plants are the best! 31 4.57%
Screw you, I'd rather eat them! 183 26.95%
Total: 679 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Okay so this guy is getting installed tomorrow or tuesday. I might spray paint him. He's going to be the first of two.

they're just basic gutter so ive got some good room to plant stuff.

I want one to be herbs and roots and such. and im growing from seed because I'm a weirdo who loves process. I've settled on radishes (because i can grow a billion of them) and basil (for that sweet sweet fall pesto). any other suggestions for small simple stuff that can grow in this? they're going to get poo poo loads of sunlight.

Additionally, I would like to put some vines that will climb rope on the lower outside portions. any suggestions here?

As for the other gutter set, im up for anything that loving looks cool, so if you have any suggestions let me hear it. Worst case I just do like morning glories, impatiens, and zenias and color coordinate them or something.

Also, the gourd has finally claimed the rail. It was once a close race between him and the carolina jasmine, but the gourd just had more in him.

now i have a new plan. clearly he's outgrowing even my wildest expectations, and I didn't properly anticipate how much he'd grab my porch and make it his bitch.

I'm going to construct a tall, thin section of trellis from the floor of my porch to the ceiling, ideally between the two aforementioned gutter systems. then im going to install a trellis about four inches short of the ceiling, so that the gourd can grow backwards across the balcony and the gourds can hang once they start growing.

i might go ahead and start a second gourd to grow up there with him.

If this works, and I have no reason to think it will, I'll literally have gourds hanging down on me come the fall.

also i almost impulse bought this little dude yesterday but gently caress he was 50 dollars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I don't understand air plants, how do they grow? how do they live

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

step 1 in operation "keep the gourd the gently caress away from my carolina jasmine" is complete

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

indigi posted:

I don't understand air plants, how do they grow? how do they live

very slowly.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
I had one in the tiny window in my bathroom watered only by the mist when I showered. I actually thought it might be fake until I went on a month long business trip and it turned into dust

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Posting for a friend with somewhat of a black thumb. Any idea what might be going on with this succulent?

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

there wolf posted:

Posting for a friend with somewhat of a black thumb. Any idea what might be going on with this succulent?

Rotten as a result of overwatering.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
anyone know what kind of plant this is?

a friend of my wife's gave it to us when they moved to hawaii since they couldn't bring it; we've had it for a few months and it seems like it's just slowly dying. they said they never did anything to it except put it in a low-light area and fill a jar with water (one of those things that has a tube that runs into the dirt). it is about half the size it was when we got it and i'd rather avoid its death but i nor they had any clue what it is

appreciate the help in advance!

Bi-la kaifa
Feb 4, 2011

Space maggots.

I had two air plants. One shriveled up and died and the other bloomed and had babies. Didn't do anything different for either. It's a total crapshoot.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Little tiny region of bark splitting on my tree trunk here. Not sure what to make of it.

Tree looks pretty good so far. The longest new branch is a good 7 or 8 inches I think.

LoreOfSerpents
Dec 29, 2001

No.

kumba posted:

anyone know what kind of plant this is?

a friend of my wife's gave it to us when they moved to hawaii since they couldn't bring it; we've had it for a few months and it seems like it's just slowly dying. they said they never did anything to it except put it in a low-light area and fill a jar with water (one of those things that has a tube that runs into the dirt). it is about half the size it was when we got it and i'd rather avoid its death but i nor they had any clue what it is

appreciate the help in advance!
Looks like a Janet Craig Dracaena to me but if so, jesus that thing is sad. Does a Google image search for that give you any results that look like what it used to?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

LoreOfSerpents posted:

Looks like a Janet Craig Dracaena to me but if so, jesus that thing is sad. Does a Google image search for that give you any results that look like what it used to?

huh, so that's what that's supposed to look like. yeah i think that's it! thanks very much, it's in a window, albeit one without direct sunlight, right now so that's probably the exact wrong place for it to be

gonna try my best to salvage this thing, thanks again

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I. M. Gei posted:

Little tiny region of bark splitting on my tree trunk here. Not sure what to make of it.

Tree looks pretty good so far. The longest new branch is a good 7 or 8 inches I think.
Your tree's trunk is increasing in diameter and bark doesn't stretch like skin so it has to break and shed. It's entirely normal and probably a good sign.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
I was going to say "if you took a nail and hit it in the tree at eye level where would it be in 20 years?" but that seemed like too big a jerk thing to say, just like it was when someone did to me :D. I've also heard it to be from freeze-thaw cycles or even just scratching the bark with something on accident which that kind of looks like. It doesn't look like canker that cherry trees get because I don't see a lot of that gummy poo poo

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Your tree's trunk is increasing in diameter and bark doesn't stretch like skin so it has to break and shed. It's entirely normal and probably a good sign.

That’s about what I was thinking, but I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing a sign of rodent chewing or something.

Unless this thread advises me otherwise, I’m planning to give the tree its first fertilizer tomorrow, which’ll be 6 weeks to the day after it was planted. I’m thinking just a few granules per square foot should be okay for a tree this young.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I. M. Gei posted:

That’s about what I was thinking, but I wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing a sign of rodent chewing or something.

Unless this thread advises me otherwise, I’m planning to give the tree its first fertilizer tomorrow, which’ll be 6 weeks to the day after it was planted. I’m thinking just a few granules per square foot should be okay for a tree this young.
I would not. This year just let it hang out and grow roots and get comfortable. The root/shoot ratio is very important to transplanting stuff-a fertilizer will encourage a lot more shoots but not grow more roots. If you push it to grow a bunch of new leafy green stuff, it may not have enough roots to support the new growth.

Trees just need time and to take things their own pace. If things go well this summer, you could think about fertilizing next spring, earlier in the spring before it leafs out, but I'd personally give it two years to do its thing-it'll probably shoot up the third year fertilizer or not. It's doing fine now, but spring is easy living-when the hot, dry days of August and September come you will find out how it's really doing. Really the best thing you can do is forget about your new tree until February, except to maybe water it deeply (stick a hose at the base, set it so a stream a little smaller than your little finger is coming out, leave it on for an hour or two)every week or two.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I would not. This year just let it hang out and grow roots and get comfortable. The root/shoot ratio is very important to transplanting stuff-a fertilizer will encourage a lot more shoots but not grow more roots. If you push it to grow a bunch of new leafy green stuff, it may not have enough roots to support the new growth.

Trees just need time and to take things their own pace. If things go well this summer, you could think about fertilizing next spring, earlier in the spring before it leafs out, but I'd personally give it two years to do its thing-it'll probably shoot up the third year fertilizer or not. It's doing fine now, but spring is easy living-when the hot, dry days of August and September come you will find out how it's really doing. Really the best thing you can do is forget about your new tree until February, except to maybe water it deeply (stick a hose at the base, set it so a stream a little smaller than your little finger is coming out, leave it on for an hour or two)every week or two.

Alright then, I’ll hold off on the fertilizer until next year.

Should I think about pruning any of the leaves at all, so the grafts don’t choke each other off competing for light? I’m a little worried the Rainier and Lambert grafts are gonna overtake the Van graft and cause it to fail, since the Van only has one shoot while the other two have a bunch of bigger ones.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 29, 2019

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

installed my hanging gutter planters tonight. put some basil, cilantro, green onions and radishes in these bad boys. gonna plant a vine on the bottom outside corners to it'll grow up and look pretty.

tuberose are ready to bloom

the making GBS threads of cucumbers cometh

random collection of poo poo says hello. i added a couple new succulents

Jalapenos!

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED
Balcony garden game looking strong over there!

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
Yeah, I may have to try the gutter thing. I assume they just have drainage holes in the bottom and are filled with poting mix?

I had originally planned out some sort of flood-drain hydroponic gutter system to go along the side of my house for growing herbs and greens but never got around to it because it was too much work. Something like that seems much more doable, though.

Hubis fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 29, 2019

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
Random pic of new growth on one of my maples.

This is a vine maple (Acer circinatum) cultivar called “Pacific Fire”. It’s crazy how the leaves change because the parts of the leaves exposed to the sun seem to change first.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Hubis posted:

Yeah, I may have to try the gutter thing. I assume they just have drainage holes in the bottom and are filled with poting mix?

I had originally planned out some sort of flood-drain hydroponic gutter system to go along the side of my house for growing herbs and greens but never got around to it because it was too much work. Something like that seems much more doable, though.

the gutters are a bitch and a half to saw. You need at least a jig saw to pull it off.

also stringing the thing up is a nightmare and it was completely touch and go.

but yeah, im going to drill some additional holes for drainage and we'll just see if the little guys take off. They'll be getting nearly 10 hours a day of direct sun there, so they should grow like weeds.

here's the link

https://www.homedepot.com/c/ah/diy-hanging-gutter-planter/9ba683603be9fa5395fab90535297c1

i spray painted mine black to match my railing. most expensive part are the drat end caps.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

FizFashizzle posted:

the gutters are a bitch and a half to saw. You need at least a jig saw to pull it off.

but yeah, im going to drill some additional holes for drainage and we'll just see if the little guys take off. They'll be getting nearly 10 hours a day of direct sun there, so they should grow like weeds.

here's the link

https://www.homedepot.com/c/ah/diy-hanging-gutter-planter/9ba683603be9fa5395fab90535297c1

i spray painted mine black to match my railing. most expensive part are the drat end caps.

I’m not going to lie, I was a little worried for you hanging those up. Were you on a ladder or did you have a sturdy pole with a hook on it? I’ve done the latter when I was in a similar living situation and it certainly felt safer.

Otherwise it really looks great! I find those sorts of things also help keep the heat out if that’s an issue for you as well.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

I’m not going to lie, I was a little worried for you hanging those up. Were you on a ladder or did you have a sturdy pole with a hook on it?

I was drinking and standing on an end table with one of the legs shorter than the rest.

coronary quips
Sep 14, 2009
i found a pretty nice local woodland strawberry specimen which i've taken home and repotted. it currently has one runner which is beginning to take root, and i'm mainly hoping to focus on some vegetative growth and propagation for the moment. the plant was flowering and produced a few intensely sweet, fragrant fruits, and so far i've cut just the flowers away. i'm wondering exactly how much more i should remove, if any, given that i'm not too concerned about it producing fruit at the moment. i've also read some articles suggesting that maybe you shouldn't mess with them too much during the summer, but those could've been other strawberries; there's a lot of conflicting information for wild strawberries, i guess. anyway, i got this plant from near my grandmother's house where i grew up, so i guess i want to see how far i can take this thing, so any input would be pretty cool and appreciated. :)

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

FizFashizzle posted:

here's the link

I've actually got some fabric pots with handles on the sides, and I was contemplating making a kind of tiered hanging basket by daisy-chaining 3 of the smaller (2-3 gallon) pots on some string. I imagine I'd have to do a bit of a web under them as the handles probably aren't strong enough for permanent suspension, but I'm not sure what the total weight with plants+soil+water would be like. I need to figure out a sturdy support plan first.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I obtained a pitanga plant on Saturday.

Today I did a little work on it.

First I teased out some seedlings that had sprouted in the pot.

There were six total, but I potted three of them before I thought to take this photo.

I poked the three seeds into soil. They may or may not germinate in three months.

Then I addressed the parent tree.

It has classic chlorotic leaves, so I pH‐tested the soil. It’s off the chart past 7.5.

The tables say that two hundred grams of iron sulphate should bring it from 7.5 to 6.0. I applied half that amount now and will check it again in a fortnight.

For a quick fix, I sprayed the leaves with a solution of ferrous sulphate, five grams to a litre.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

from the we're starting to look like an lgbtq friendly mexican restaurant

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

How do those gutter planters stand up in high winds, by the way?

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Pham Nuwen posted:

How do those gutter planters stand up in high winds, by the way?

I don't know yet!

hopefully well.

I used some framing wire to emergency secure the hanging trellis. put in some extra screws and tied it down so if it the wind snaps it, it wont fall and kill anyone below.

of course after the gourd finishes growing it'll be a moot point.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
anyone have any tips for getting succulents to grow real big?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I planted a moonflower a while back, it's got quite a few leaves now. I constructed a rudimentary trellis of 2 6' bamboo poles on either side of its pot, with a handful of garden twine rungs spaced ~6" apart. It's kind of sprawling towards the side of the pot instead of towards the trellis. Should I just gently place the end of the vine on the trellis (the pole? or string?) to encourage it to grow upwards? I rotated it so that the trellis is between the plant and the sun, but it's not really growing in that direction, which hopefully means it's getting enough sun.

The cotyledons on it were huge when it sprouted (one out of 2 came up). They were actually stuck together at the start, I had to do some minor plant surgery by brushing a little water on it to reduce the stickiness and gently coax it apart. Misting would have worked way better but I didn't have a bottle. It seems to have not minded at all!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

indigi posted:

large enough pot, lots of time, and complete indifference

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

My moonflower is happily twisted around my trellis now, so I'll call that a success.

I noticed that there are quite a few clover mites (the bright red things) on my balcony. Do they cause damage to plants? If they're not too much of a threat I can just try to sweep away some of the excess. They climbed up 3 stories to get to my balcony, so I'm hoping it won't be too many of them.

Oppression
Jan 16, 2004
Pillbug
Just moved into a neighborhood where all my immediate neighbors have common buckthorn in place as hedges or decorative shrubs. My yard had 3 of them as shrubs as well. Time to start an education plan and probably will have to offer to do the work to replace them myself in order for some of them to get on board.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

Finally got around to transplanting 2 windows worth of stuff propagating, giving most of this away which explains their pots. I have just short of 30 jades in this batch. I carved a bunch of mortises out of a piece of alder I cut down and dried a while ago and put little glass jars in each and hung it from the ceiling near the top of my window in the empty space and they loved it. Experimenting with some different soil and perlite mixtures I think I missed chat about it last time. Its a bad angle for the Eve's Needles but they're ~15", when I got them 3 years ago they were like 3" in a single pot. Noooo idea why those of all my plants are so happy but holy smokes do they grow. Someone ID the little sedum I started from the tiniest rosette (seriously a little pinhead) that is killing it in the second pic!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Oppression posted:

Just moved into a neighborhood where all my immediate neighbors have common buckthorn in place as hedges or decorative shrubs. My yard had 3 of them as shrubs as well. Time to start an education plan and probably will have to offer to do the work to replace them myself in order for some of them to get on board.

Ouch. I spent 3 afternoons helping the city clear buckthorn from a small lake. I think we made it a quarter way around the lake in all that time. That stuff is rampant.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Anyone know what's going on with this guy? I don't overwater him. Weird brown markings all over him, almost looks like its rotting.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

indigi posted:

Based on my trip to the central coast of California, the answer is: live in the same climate as the central coast of California

There are so many aeonium shrubs and jade plant thickets in the neighborhoods that it's ridiculous

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

Anyone know what's going on with this guy? I don't overwater him. Weird brown markings all over him, almost looks like its rotting.

My aloes have done that over the years from 3 things: over watering, too much sun out of the blue, rootbound/dead soil from not repotting it (and probably too wet from not draining)