Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's always fascinating when white people are more than happy to call someone black until it would be to their benefit, then they start with the genealogy bullshit.

EDIT: Like Obama was referred to as black in a negative fashion until someone said "Our first black President" or he spoke about racial inequality, then suddenly it's all "Well, he's only half-black" or "He's not even black!"

EDIT v2: And did these people say a goddamn word back when WWE made Kofi pretend he was Jamaican and speak in an accent?

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 31, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
"Rock doesn't count" is a very stupid take I'll agree to that but uh how the hell does Kofi not count?

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

VJeff posted:

"Rock doesn't count" is a very stupid take I'll agree to that but uh how the hell does Kofi not count?

I believe the argument is that Africa doesn't count.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

VJeff posted:

He's African and not an American descended from slaves which means he doesn't count because *waves hands wildly*

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's bullshit mental gymnastics to diminish the accomplishments of minorities.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

because black is bad. didn't you watch your westerns?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

rare Magic card l00k posted:

I believe the argument is that Africa doesn't count.

Gumball Gumption posted:

He's African and not an American descended from slaves which means he doesn't count because *waves hands wildly*

:psyduck:

okay I think I get what they were going for, they were trying to expose the inherent hypocrisy of gatekeeping the Rock's race while celebrating Kofi's but.

:psyduck:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I mean, there is a legitimate difference between descendant of slaves and Africans in terms of culture and self perception and it is a topic of conversation in the black community but it's also not something that disqualifies blackness, only quantifies it

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, there is a legitimate difference between descendant of slaves and Africans in terms of culture and self perception and it is a topic of conversation in the black community but it's also not something that disqualifies blackness, only quantifies it

Oh totally. Its just baffling to me in this case because this is Vince we're talking about. No way he recognizes the differences considering he gave Kofi a Jamaican gimmick for years.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I love that Kofi only got to drop the Jamaican gimmick and be Ghanaian because of the works cup

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Could you imagine if the poor bastard had to keep up the Jamaican gimmick during these last five years of the New Day?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

These mental gymnastics are Jamaican me crazy

Wendell
May 11, 2003

coconono posted:

people flipping out over Star Wars continues to confound me. I say this as a person that wore 3 VHS tapes of A New Hope.

One on the crotch, one on the butt. Where was the third? A hat?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://mobile.twitter.com/Underst31030789/status/1134653006581063681

https://mobile.twitter.com/Underst31030789/status/1133394620891750400

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
:stare:

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Alt-Right Orange Cassidy, no.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

coconono posted:

people flipping out over Star Wars continues to confound me. I say this as a person that wore 3 VHS tapes of A New Hope.

...Wore?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

I hope wore out, but I jokingly say vhs mummy.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

karmicknight posted:

I hope wore out, but I jokingly say vhs mummy.

Yeti.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

karmicknight posted:

Alt-Right Orange Cassidy, no.

Funny how the cross-section of AEW detractors and alt-right chuds is pretty much a full circle :thunkher:

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

If this is understated I'd hate to see his overstatements

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

oldpainless posted:

These mental gymnastics are Jamaican me crazy

They practically had to walk on their hands, balance on a guard rail, jump into a chair and step on a plate of pancakes for those mental gymnastics!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the rule of sunglasses profile picture holds true

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

jesus WEP posted:

the rule of sunglasses profile picture holds true

sunglasses profile picture feat. a string of numbers in the username

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Yet-tay!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Adam Cole, Yet ay

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

jesus WEP posted:

Adam Cole, Yet ay

Oh, they've already got his main roster gimmick ready?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

https://www.reddit.com/r/SquaredCircle/comments/bvmnza/aew_fans_are_the_reason_the_fed_is_going_to/

quote:

AEW fans are the reason the fed is going to suffer from the Daniel Bryan effect.

A hot commodity with a legion of annoying rear end fans who are going to drive people away. AEW, much like DBry was around '14-'15, is a a trending hot product that has a promising future. They are different, a perfect alternative to what we’re used too. There’s a lot of us who don’t follow the indies that are on board the AEW train and really want them to succeed because we need the wrestling business to thrive like it did in the 90's.

But if there’s one thing that’s keen to start turning people away from AEW is the fans who are constantly dick riding them much like they did with DBry back in the day, hence the reason there’s people out there that can’t stand them. It gives a sense that the product/superstar is extremely overrated. Not only that, but their talent, much like their fans, are way too fixated on WWE. Moxley has done 3 interviews so far where they’re all focused on WWE. Instead of using them to further his character and aspirations in his new home, he uses that time to talk about WWE. There’s nothing wrong with talking about his time in WWE as part of the interviews, but when your first three interviews are focused on talking about nothing but the competition then there’s a problem.

It’s a promising company, but the direction they’re headed is going drive people away. Make a statement with your product; to their fans and talent, just be quiet about WWE. They come off as salty and disgruntled that they weren’t able to really make it on that side of the playing field(under understandable circumstances). It’s common knowledge that WWE, for years, has had a major problem with their creative process. This is known. No need to constantly remind people, we know, and that is why AEW exists, to be the alternative. Just focus on AEW. Let WWE do them.

"The Daniel Bryan effect"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

"People like this thing too much"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Eh, the general point of 'just make a good product and don't constantly talk about WWE' is fair.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Eh, the general point of 'just make a good product and don't constantly talk about WWE' is fair.

*eyes narrow suspiciously*

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I've seen way more people complaining about AEW stans than I've seen actual AEW stans

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
You know what I hate? People liking things.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

When we tried talking about TNA you complained about that too.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I, too, conflate the direction of the company and the actual on-screen product with a few out of character, off-show interviews one wrestler did

can't believe they constantly talked about WWE during the entirety of double or nothing

why is moxley not furthering his storyline, on some podcasts

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

ah yes, the major star who just left company is talking about experience with company. what a shame, the fans will... *squints* hate it.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Are we going to ignore the whole "Daniel Bryan effect" thing as if the reason for his potential as the next big thing not being realised wasnt him being sidelined for years for medical reasons but evangelical fans?

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Are we going to ignore the whole "Daniel Bryan effect" thing as if the reason for his potential as the next big thing not being realised wasnt him being sidelined for years for medical reasons but vince's reaction to evangelical fans?

Yes because even outside of that Dbry was the best wrestler in the world for several years running before punk started calling himself best in the world (and then bryan stole his gimmick as a teller of truth) and we know old man vince doesnt react well to people who made it with the fans before he got his hands on them

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

https://twitter.com/Daniel_Linde/status/1134755830539194368

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST

Ryan Satin put up a poll asking if AEW DoN or Takeover 25 was better. And...yeah.