Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

or Farscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

CaptainSkinny posted:

The signal for disappointment in Alexander is the light being off on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siO6dkqidc4

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
As much as I love Trek, BSG was a goddamn masterpiece of a show and even its weakest parts were better than most Trek shows, even TNG, save one or two episodes.

Babylon 5 should get its own thread tho because it ain't Trek, looks like hot garbage with crappier effects, and I don't care to see it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Preston Waters posted:

As much as I love Trek, BSG was a goddamn masterpiece of a show and even its weakest parts were better than most Trek shows, even TNG, save one or two episodes.

Babylon 5 should get its own thread tho because it ain't Trek, looks like hot garbage with crappier effects, and I don't care to see it.

BSG crawled up it's own rear end after new caprica and becomes more dated with each passing year

B5 is good and strong

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Tighclops posted:

BSG crawled up it's own rear end after new caprica and becomes more dated with each passing year

B5 is good and strong

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Preston Waters posted:

As much as I love Trek, BSG was a goddamn masterpiece

lmao

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The only part of BSG that was a masterpiece was Tricia Helfer in that red dress, am I right fellas? Yowza!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I could have sworn there was a B5 thread but damned if I can find it.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
if BSG isn't one of your top-5 favorite shows of all time, literally right behind The Wire, don't even talk to me son

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

The only part of BSG that was a masterpiece was Tricia Helfer in that red dress, am I right fellas? Yowza!

Kandyse "Anastasia Dualla" McClure was always my Colonial waifu

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

BSG is trash and I've seen a gif of the Wire once and wasn't impressed.

Now, if we're talking UFO we're talking.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
BSG owns.

For some reason I thought Alex Roshenko was killed off screen sometime in DS9 but apparently not.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
BSG is worth watching but it's terminal 00's for sure

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Tighclops posted:

BSG is worth watching but it's terminal 00's for sure

Everything up to and including the New Caprica arc is really really good. There's a few episodes after that which deal with the repercussions of those events which are good. Other than that, it's really really bad. The final episode is really good though.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Bogus Adventure posted:

Kandyse "Anastasia Dualla" McClure was always my Colonial waifu

is she the one with the unfortunate soup advert

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Bobby Deluxe posted:

is she the one with the unfortunate soup advert

I don't know but she went out like a pro and blew her loving brains out.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEDjAFi7oJ4

e: as neddy seagoon said fairly huge spoiler for battlestar galaxtica

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 2, 2019

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Jose Oquendo posted:

Everything up to and including the New Caprica arc is really really good. There's a few episodes after that which deal with the repercussions of those events which are good. Other than that, it's really really bad. The final episode is really good though.

Everything post-finding Earth (the real one aka the original) is weaker considering that they had the entire writer's strike to conclude everything well, but it's still great.

In my mind, Star Trek is this hopeful and fantastic show to explore who we can only dream to be. BSG was literally born out of 9/11 & the beginnings of the Iraq War and never shied away from it. They're completely different and you gotta respect that.

Never saw this live thank god bc it would have ruined it for me :hmbol:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Preston Waters posted:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Preston Waters posted:

Everything post-finding Earth (the real one aka the original) is weaker considering that they had the entire writer's strike to conclude everything well, but it's still great.

That strike definitely hosed stuff up for sure.

Holy poo poo. I don't remember that ad at all.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 2, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Moridin920 posted:

For some reason I thought Alex Roshenko was killed off screen sometime in DS9 but apparently not.
Nope, he's actually in several episodes

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Alexander sucks so loving much that he turns the tide of the Klingon/Cardassian war by Jerry Lewis-ing his stupid rear end through the ship

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Danaru posted:

Alexander sucks so loving much that he turns the tide of the Klingon/Cardassian war by Jerry Lewis-ing his stupid rear end through the ship

Fhroin'Lavin!

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

BSG is great as a gritty space survival thing but whenever they turn to the pseudo-spiritual horseshit or use "God did it" as a writing solution, it makes me glad that Moore never had a freer hand with the Emissary stuff in DS9. It's some of the most boring pretentious poo poo this side of Vic Fontaine becoming sentient.

Also again. AGAIN. Moore shits the bed with the ending.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

did you guys who think bsg is a masterpiece stop watching after season 2? because if so i envy you

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

did you guys who think bsg is a masterpiece stop watching after season 2? because if so i envy you

I choose to accentuate the positive.

Sure went downhill in season 4 (I have no beef with 3), but I don't get the online community's fixation on that. Like, every time BSG comes it that's the first thing everyone talks about. Lots of shows have lovely last seasons that are remembered fondly and don't get nearly as much poo poo as BSG for it. *Cough*TOS*Cough*TNG.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Tos didn’t have an ongoing plot. When you do and the end point is a confused meek wet fart with an incredibly stupid coda about how asimo is gonna kill us all, it kind of ruins the journey

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I'm gonna gently caress Asimo

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Quicksilver6 posted:

Also again. AGAIN. Moore shits the bed with the ending.

He recently did an interview where he had some advice for the Game of Thrones people on how to deal with it when the fan base of a beloved show really hates the ending you came up with.

https://slate.com/culture/2019/05/game-of-thrones-finale-backlash-battlestar-galactica-showrunner-interview.html

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Very few sci-fi shows have started out as strong as BSG and even fewer have ended so far from the rails

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fair warning; Major plot spoiler in this clip.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Lol I watched BSG as it aired, starting with Season 3 episode 1. I didn't see seasons 1 and 2 until years after the finale. Answered a lot of questions.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I'm like 90% through The Fifty Year Mission and I was like, wow I guess they're really going to cram in all the other series, we're only talking about the third movie at this point.

Then I realized there is a second volume :downs:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
They hang a lot of blame on the writers strike. But it came out even the core producers didn't have a clue how to go past the Pegasus so it is still on them. They went too deep into their own meta think and it hurt the show.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Trast posted:

They hang a lot of blame on the writers strike. But it came out even the core producers didn't have a clue how to go past the Pegasus so it is still on them. They went too deep into their own meta think and it hurt the show.

Sure, but the difference is still that it's a problem that should've been solved by probably upwards of a dozen people instead of just two.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like bsg a lot and ok the writer's strike BUT - Crashing all their poo poo into the sun to live as Stone age hunter gatherers was the dumbest poo poo ever.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Jun 2, 2019

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Trast posted:

They hang a lot of blame on the writers strike. But it came out even the core producers didn't have a clue how to go past the Pegasus so it is still on them. They went too deep into their own asses and it hurt the show.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
Also I like this thread as the catch all sci fi TV shitposting thread. Potatoes O'Dyin is our guiding light of misery.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

hey everyone, get a load of this guy who hasn't seen Babylon 5

lol what a dumbass

Preston Waters posted:

In my mind, Star Trek is this hopeful and fantastic show to explore who we can only dream to be. BSG was literally born out of 9/11 & the beginnings of the Iraq War and never shied away from it. They're completely different and you gotta respect that.

it's definitely good to remember that america completely lost its goddamn mind after 9/11 and we should never stop holding ourselves/americans in contempt for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also i've been thinking for a while that between TNG, DS9, and BSG, ron moore's just a little too eager to kill off women in his shows

EDIT: with the hilarious exception of president roslyn