Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Orv posted:

Longsword skin.

dang, need to be level 22 and have 5 grand in the bank

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

For the last week or so I've been playing mostly a scavenger build, and I've come to the conclusion that there aren't any weapons that I hate. There are some that I prefer more than others, especially paired with armor and perks that usually should never be allowed together (I'm looking at you Halberd/Zwei Bloodlust combo), and some weapons that I can't see myself every picking over something else, (Estoc, Poleaxe), but my first love and the weapon I keep going back to is the Billhook. Yes it ruins horses, and that's what originally drew me to it, and yes, it doesn't do the most damage in the world, and it's a bit slow, but the stabs hit like a truck and the slowness seems to really gently caress up peoples' timing. I just went on an 18 kill run where people were just crumbling before me, and it was magical.

I just looked, and I have 3.6k assists. I feel like I get A LOT of assists compared to everyone else I play with.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
They gotta fix the thing where connection just drops to servers, that's killing me on this game more than anything else.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
I'm tired of playing against people with 100+ pings

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Just realized I've never really looked at my stats screen. Here it is:

4,536 battle cries lol

I really need to learn how to chamber, think it's my major blind spot right now.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

cerebral posted:

For the last week or so I've been playing mostly a scavenger build, and I've come to the conclusion that there aren't any weapons that I hate. There are some that I prefer more than others, especially paired with armor and perks that usually should never be allowed together (I'm looking at you Halberd/Zwei Bloodlust combo), and some weapons that I can't see myself every picking over something else, (Estoc, Poleaxe), but my first love and the weapon I keep going back to is the Billhook. Yes it ruins horses, and that's what originally drew me to it, and yes, it doesn't do the most damage in the world, and it's a bit slow, but the stabs hit like a truck and the slowness seems to really gently caress up peoples' timing. I just went on an 18 kill run where people were just crumbling before me, and it was magical.

I just looked, and I have 3.6k assists. I feel like I get A LOT of assists compared to everyone else I play with.

Something I think is cool about this game is that the mechanics are universally applicable to all of the weapons, but there is still a good bit of depth in the nuances between them. You can intuitively pick up and go with anything you find, but there's still value in digging deeper into the specific quirks and altering your play style to suit.

I consider lots of assists to mean you're doing a good job finding and exploiting opportunities in team fights. Especially with a polearm with a powerful thrust you can be a huge force multiplier by efficiently picking enemies off so your teammates stay alive longer and preserve momentum.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
chat on frontline servers is not nearly as interested in celebrating pride month as I am

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

NeurosisHead posted:

chat on frontline servers is not nearly as interested in celebrating pride month as I am

Without fail, every single game, I get some crazy counterstrike 1.0 nostalgia from the chat...

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Kazvall posted:

Without fail, every single game, I get some crazy counterstrike 1.0 nostalgia from the chat...

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Now tbf that does sound like something Bronn might say if he lost a fight.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

NeurosisHead posted:

I've been trying to make some rainbow armor, but my color and fashion sense is terrible. Sure only like 1% of the people who play Frontline would ever see it, but I'd know, and it would make me happy.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Chat and the 'see this sewer rat's steam avatar' were almost deal breakers with this game thank god they let you turn them both off.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Hemish posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/379430/Kingdom_Come_Deliverance/

Do you know about this? I didn't buy it yet but it caught my eye with a similar thought as you.

I saw that but never bought it, although what draws me to Mordhau is the sword fitan itself but not the historical grognardism which is more the bag of Kingdom Come.

What'd really tighten my balls is a mad max inspired post apocalyptic single player but with multiplayer options mordhau-alike.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

he is going to appear in the blue team spawn with a crossbow

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.
This is a bad game with bad hitboxes, bad lag issues, and bad maps. 3/10.

twig1919
Nov 1, 2011
I am an inconsiderate moron whose only method of discourse is idiotic personal attacks.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, Kingdom Come's combat is just unfortunate. The devs put a huge amount of effort into making sure that it's historical, and realistic, that the animations line up, etc. etc., and then they seemingly never got around to properly thinking about how the player would interact with it. They give you a fair bunch of things to do in combat, but as it turns out at the end of the day it's pretty much all random chance. Whether or not an attack lands or is parried depends entirely on your stats and the RNG. For the first few hours it's pretty fun while you get your bearings and play around with the tools you have, but at some point you'll notice that all those tools are fairly superfluous and for actually winning a fight there's not much more to do than stand there fishing for unblockable random masterstrikes and/or throwing out random attacks and hoping the RNG will let you get a hit in at some point.

Or you just take a bow and shoot everybody in the face before they get into melee. :getin:

This is because you weren't playing on hardcore mode. Once you take away the reticle it gets more interesting. Also, the combat fits really well with the RPGs aspect where you start super weak but by the end your a full fledged knight who can murder fool peasants.

Also master strikes aren't "random chance". It requires you to line up your block and time it right. The window for it just gets wider with exp. Although, against high level plot fights it is very difficult to get hits in and master strikes are the easiest way.

Vilgefartz
Apr 29, 2013

Good ideas 4 free
Fun Shoe
I love kicking butt with my falchion in duel servers thinking i'm awesome, then i end with a group of people who are wizards and suddenly i'm babbies first knight again. The skill ceiling in this game is cray.

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

twig1919 posted:

This is a bad game with bad hitboxes, bad lag issues, and bad maps. 3/10.

twig1919 posted:

This is because you weren't playing on hardcore mode. Once you take away the reticle it gets more interesting. Also, the combat fits really well with the RPGs aspect where you start super weak but by the end your a full fledged knight who can murder fool peasants.

Also master strikes aren't "random chance". It requires you to line up your block and time it right. The window for it just gets wider with exp. Although, against high level plot fights it is very difficult to get hits in and master strikes are the easiest way.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Yeah, the combination of those posts is... :yikes:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Cowcaster posted:

dang, need to be level 22 and have 5 grand in the bank

Nah that's a different skin. The one with all the fancy gold engraving is a kickstarter backer exclusive or something.

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Phlegmish posted:

Just realized I've never really looked at my stats screen. Here it is:

4,536 battle cries lol

I really need to learn how to chamber, think it's my major blind spot right now.

Chambering anything but stabs is unreliable tbh, its not worth it considering a successful chamber can easily be riposted and drains stamina. That and it also feels unnatural, waiting to attack just before you're hit is eh tbh.

Ive been really annoyed by lag in this game recently, weapons reach a lot further than they visually appear to also stab dragging is just plain broken tbh, I used to rely on dodging hits but once people get good at this game it becomes very hard to read if they missed or not. It might look like they did on your screen, but they actually didn't.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

The only reliable way to dodge poo poo is to always have the tip of their weapon on screen, I've found. A lot of times poo poo just isn't dodgable with matrix stuff, and the only way I've found it works is to walk through your opponents and reset with a 180

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, Kingdom Come's combat is just unfortunate. The devs put a huge amount of effort into making sure that it's historical, and realistic, that the animations line up, etc. etc., and then they seemingly never got around to properly thinking about how the player would interact with it. They give you a fair bunch of things to do in combat, but as it turns out at the end of the day it's pretty much all random chance. Whether or not an attack lands or is parried depends entirely on your stats and the RNG. For the first few hours it's pretty fun while you get your bearings and play around with the tools you have, but at some point you'll notice that all those tools are fairly superfluous and for actually winning a fight there's not much more to do than stand there fishing for unblockable random masterstrikes and/or throwing out random attacks and hoping the RNG will let you get a hit in at some point.

Or you just take a bow and shoot everybody in the face before they get into melee. :getin:

I only ever learned the first combo but it was completely sufficient because I was eventually so strong that I would just one shot anyone with the guaranteed head tap. But yeah the combat was...unimpressive

NigelThornberry
May 16, 2019

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

The only reliable way to dodge poo poo is to always have the tip of their weapon on screen, I've found. A lot of times poo poo just isn't dodgable with matrix stuff, and the only way I've found it works is to walk through your opponents and reset with a 180

Oddly enough I found that dodging in third person is a lot easier than first person, in first person I will frequently see the tip pass my face but still hit me but in third person I can usually tell its a miss.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

NigelThornberry posted:

Oddly enough I found that dodging in third person is a lot easier than first person, in first person I will frequently see the tip pass my face but still hit me but in third person I can usually tell its a miss.

I felt the same way for a minute, and I do think that switching between the two when practicing is the best way to go about things. First person is easier for me to be hitting windmills though, which is the only way I ever get hits in on Duel servers

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Kingdom Comes' combat system seemed better than Warband's, at least as far as AI goes. In Warband, AI just ran up to you and randomly selected a swing with no regards to their weapon length or surroundings. But, you know since KCD had no multiplayer, putting together a complex combat system hardly matters.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Mount&blade's combat system wasn't designed with multiplayer in mind either. It's easy to forget sometimes that multiplayer was added in an expansion that came out a couple years after M&B went retail, not even counting the many years that M&B was in proto-early access.

Of course, KCD's combat is also almost always just the player versus a handful of enemies (with a few battle scenes) whereas M&B usually involves scores or hundreds of participants.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah that's the rub with M&B's combat, the AI was braindead in it to compensate for the fact that at any given time like 15 AI were trying to slap you at the same time while another 70 were waiting in line to try and slap you

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Lol if you didn't play mount and blade w/ the battle size changer maxxed out until your computer was melting

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

NigelThornberry posted:

Chambering anything but stabs is unreliable tbh, its not worth it considering a successful chamber can easily be riposted and drains stamina. That and it also feels unnatural, waiting to attack just before you're hit is eh tbh.

Ive been really annoyed by lag in this game recently, weapons reach a lot further than they visually appear to also stab dragging is just plain broken tbh, I used to rely on dodging hits but once people get good at this game it becomes very hard to read if they missed or not. It might look like they did on your screen, but they actually didn't.
A successful chamber can be morphed, feinted, dragged, or accel'ed just like a regular attack. A chamber does not commit you to a predictable attack. Ripostes do commit you to an attack where you can only drag/accel it.

A big downside of stab dragging is that the drag window is really small. You can't really accel/drag a stab in a way that someone can't easily parry both timings. Stab drags are also a lot easier to miss than swings since your damage arc is so narrow and you get a tinier window of time to drag.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
I think I played mount and blade by riding on a horse with a bow/crossbow and sloowly cheesing armies full of melee guys in armor by kiting them to death so i could sell all their expensive armor for $$$ at the closest town.
And then getting bored and quitting whenever i got far enough into the game and rich enough to have an army of my own.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

God i loving hate most of the players playing this game. Spawn blue on Grad, run over to red Catapult, kill operator. Steal catapult, drive its slow rear end back to blue side, stopping to fight 2 people along the way. Get blindsided by a red player, stuck in janky 3rd person mode from when I was using the catapult, die. Respawn, some loving idiot on blue is wheeling the loving catapult back to the other side towards red behind the house. Like what in the actual gently caress?

It's also mindblowing that there are no servers for the southeast US. Like the closest poo poo is Dallas, which means I almost never have lower than 80 ping reliably. Some times it goes down to 60, but not for long.

Zotix fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 3, 2019

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Glenn Quebec posted:

Lol if you didn't play mount and blade w/ the battle size changer maxxed out until your computer was melting

Highest I could get it was like a hundred something people which made owning your own faction absolutely awful. I'd fight thousands of guys at the top of my castle killing them one after another as they climbed a ladder for like 30 minutes straight. They'd retreat then come back with another couple thousand. Rinse and repeat.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Doltos posted:

Highest I could get it was like a hundred something people which made owning your own faction absolutely awful. I'd fight thousands of guys at the top of my castle killing them one after another as they climbed a ladder for like 30 minutes straight. They'd retreat then come back with another couple thousand. Rinse and repeat.

Last time I played it, I was 50 hours deep in the a clash of kings mod fighting for Stannis the Mannis

Runaktla
Feb 21, 2007

by Hand Knit

Zotix posted:

God i loving hate most of the players playing this game. Spawn blue on Grad, run over to red Catapult, kill operator. Steal catapult, drive its slow rear end back to blue side, stopping to fight 2 people along the way. Get blindsided by a red player, stuck in janky 3rd person mode from when I was using the catapult, die. Respawn, some loving idiot on blue is wheeling the loving catapult back to the other side towards red behind the house. Like what in the actual gently caress?

It's also mindblowing that there are no servers for the southeast US. Like the closest poo poo is Dallas, which means I almost never have lower than 80 ping reliably. Some times it goes down to 60, but not for long.
Every time I see people talk about their lower than 100 pings I get jealous and want to change my isp.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I get ~40 ping to some Dallas servers and about 100 to others so I have no idea what's going on there.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

Was listening to the Community Manager's stream for awhile last night, and he dropped some upcoming plan for weapon adjustments. Here are the notes I wrote for myself:

Warhammer buff
Arming sword getting buff so it’s a 3 hit kill to heavy chest
Axe getting turned into a mini-waraxe, better combos
Dagger less slash damage, more stab damage
Cleaver worse stabs better slashes
1H weapons getting a rework in general

It's hard for me to believe the arming sword is getting a buff, thing is already deadly, but I'll take it. Same with Axe, it's not bad as it is, faster combos is going to be evil.

cerebral fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Jun 3, 2019

Telltolin
Apr 4, 2004

I get so much flak for using buckler, particularly on duel servers :( Usually by people who have no excuse not to have tried it at least once! It gets equated to a kite/heater shield. This game needs a loading screen tooltip or something that says "hey, you can only parry with buckler/targe. they're not like the other shields!"
It shows who's annoying and worth avoiding, but it gets really old hearing it over and over. Buckler is not kite shield, and arming sword is not rapier :argh:

e: arming sword buff you say? three hit kill you say? I like the sound of this a lot

Telltolin fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 3, 2019

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

cerebral posted:

Arming sword getting buff so it’s a 3 hit kill to heavy chest

lol that thing is already real good.

that thing should really be a 3 point weapon if its gonna 3 hit kill heavys with stabs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Telltolin posted:

I get so much flak for using buckler, particularly on duel servers :( Usually by people who have no excuse not to have tried it at least once! It gets equated to a kite/heater shield. This game needs a loading screen tooltip or something that says "hey, you can only parry with buckler/targe. they're not like the other shields!"
It shows who's annoying and worth avoiding, but it gets really old hearing it over and over. Buckler is not kite shield, and arming sword is not rapier :argh:

e: arming sword buff you say? three hit kill you say? I like the sound of this a lot

Those people would still be whiny scrubs whose opinions don't matter if they gave you flak for using a heater shield and rapier hth