Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Firecrackers 4/4, uncomfortable in the right ways. Great use of handhelds and shallow depth of field, just really anxiety inducing

Les Invisibles 4/4, a great story of a homeless shelter without being politically preachy or heavy handed or depressing, and the cast is almost all women too

Sibel: 3/4, great cinematography but the story was a bit unclear at times. I appreciated the nuanced though

got any sevens fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 19, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratedargh
Feb 20, 2011

Wow, Bob, wow. Fire walk with me.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Just watched Long Day's Journey Into Night

Wouldn't be surprised if it retains a slot in my top 5 for the entire year. Incredible and moving

I kept missing out on this one but it's still playing close by...hopefully going to see it this coming week. Loved Kaili Blues.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Ratedargh posted:

I kept missing out on this one but it's still playing close by...hopefully going to see it this coming week. Loved Kaili Blues.

LDJIN is like Days of Being Wild + Mulholland Dr + a bit of Chinatown sprinkled on top.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Long Day’s Journey Into Night is incredible and the 3d is great. Personally I see a lot of Hou Hsiao-hsien in Bi Gan’s movies, there’s parts of both that make me think of Millennium Mambo, especially how he’s working with the concept of memory.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Zogo posted:

Is there another title for this film?

Zogo posted:

Is there another title for this film?

Haha, I mixed two different Bigfoot movies on accident. I meant Night of the Demon.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Long Day’s Journey Into Night discussion is making me sad. It will never be seen in Germany, I am sure :(

Mirai

quote:

The movie follows a 4-year old boy who is struggling to cope with the arrival of a little sister in the family until things turn magical. A mysterious garden in the backyard of the boy’s home becomes a gateway allowing the child to travel back in time and encounter his mother as a little girl and his great-grandfather as a young man. These fantasy-filled adventures allow the child to change his perspective and help him become the big brother he was meant to be.

The tree was in the middle of the house, but whatever. It was cute, but it didn't have a coherent narrative. Some scenes dragged, although the movie isn't even that long.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

FancyMike posted:

Long Day’s Journey Into Night is incredible and the 3d is great. Personally I see a lot of Hou Hsiao-hsien in Bi Gan’s movies, there’s parts of both that make me think of Millennium Mambo, especially how he’s working with the concept of memory.

I thought the 3D was fine, subtle, not essential but not a detraction, like sprinkles on top. It adds a sort of woozy waking dream quality to everything (and is obviously a technical showpiece), but it also bifurcates the film in a weird way and is just really exhausting. I'd be just as enthralled with how the single take was planned and framed even if it wasn't 3D because the symbolism is so resonant with the rest of the film. So I don't really consider the 3D to be essential, just a little bonus if you got to see it in a theater. Honestly, I can't wait to see it in 2D on the blu.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I agree it's not exactly essential and admit the effect might have been a little stronger on me personally as it's only the second movie I've ever seen in 3d. The novelty I think though was less on the screen and just in the physical experience of it. Being in the theater and that moment where everyone puts on the glasses as the movie changes is real neat and I'm as glad I made it out to a 3d screening as I am excited to revisit in 2d. It did actually become a slight distraction for me near the end as I had forgotten to account for the glasses and sat just a couple rows too close.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Between the Lines (77) 3/4, a pretty fun character mishmash that doesnt care about being too plot driven. Good 2k restoration

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Be Natural: The Untold Story of Alice Guy-Blaché - 3/5. I thought it was a really good documentary about one of if not the first female filmmakers, and it showed just how hard it is to track down any piece of information about early film history. But there some parts that could have used a bit of cutting here and there, if only because there was just so much, the big things didn't land as well as they should have.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
Back to the Future 1-3:
So... Biff ist Trump? https://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/oct/23/back-to-the-future-writer-bad-guy-biff-was-based-on-donald-trump
And I assume America looks like that.
I mainly wanted to see Part 3 again, since I didn't remember it. And now I know why. It's not very memorable.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Brightburn: 2/5. What you expected is mostly what you get. The only little moderately interesting twist, and it's hardly one, is that there's no morality lesson telling us that the difference between Superman-But-Evil and Superman was something that a human / humanity did. Like, for gently caress's sake, it's maybe like 20 minutes into the movie where the titular character figures out that the alien voice in his head / his spaceship is saying TAKE THE WORLD, so it's not as if humanity made the kid evil or anything. Kinda interesting, but kinda undercuts the what-if-this-hero-were-bad thing.

The during-the-start-of-the-credits scene teases some sequels (or it could be a joke and/or reason to have Michael Rooker show up) could be interesting - I love the concept of a supervillain despot defending the world he conquered from other Bad Guys because nobody else is doing to take his poo poo - but my guess is that the muted reaction plus the probably-not-significant BO returns means this'll just be a random movie blip.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I give Brightburn slightly more credit because its overwhelming focus is just delivering tense horror experiences and severe gore, and it definitely delivers those things. So maybe more like 2.5 or 3 out of 5 for me.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Vai - 4/4, The life of an API woman told through 8 scenes.
the concept really worked well, and using different actors for each scene made it feel like more of a universal story that applies to many women instead of just this one. Check it out if you can

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gosford Park, earlier today

5/5, this movie loving owns holy poo poo how had i not seen it

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
Aladdin - C

I don’t know what I’m expecting from these Disney live adaptations anymore, but they’re all both good and bad in the exact same ways. It’s just annoying at this point. I didn’t hate it, but I think I do hate what they represent. At least we have a kid almost old enough to go to these movies, so I don’t have to be that dumb white guy raging about how things aren’t the same as when he was a kid.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
The Adjustment Bureau - 3.5/5

I enjoyed this a lot more than it probably deserved. Matt Damon and Emily Blunt were good heading up and I was pleasantly surprised to see Stamp doing his usual thing. A good one for atheism and Qanon fans alike.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Nothing Really Happens (2017): C-/D

This movie purports to be science fiction and comedy. If you watch the movie expecting both, then you're gonna have a bad time because the former is patently false, and the latter is only classically true. Basically, this movie tells the story of what it would be like if you had a goon as a real life acquaintance. If I had known that from the start, I probably would have enjoyed it more because I would have adjusted my expectations accordingly.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

JBP posted:

The Adjustment Bureau - 3.5/5

I enjoyed this a lot more than it probably deserved. Matt Damon and Emily Blunt were good heading up and I was pleasantly surprised to see Stamp doing his usual thing. A good one for atheism and Qanon fans alike.

And hat lovers worldwide.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

piratepilates posted:

And hat lovers worldwide.

A rollicking bald man power fantasy.

AstroWhale
Mar 28, 2009
The Post Solid, but subtle as a jackhammer. When the one reporter directly talked into the camera at the end, Trump evaporated.
Thank god for Bezos, to save us from the worst president ever, Donald J. Trump, or should I say, Ivan Trumpski?

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Life force. Basically Night of the Living Breasts, The Bush Eats the World,and Norks on Film. Why did I watch this?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sloth Life posted:

Life force. Basically Night of the Living Breasts, The Bush Eats the World,and Norks on Film. Why did I watch this?

because Mathilda Mae is naked like 80 percent of the movie

I think it kickstarted puberty for me

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Would you Rather (2012): B+/B

This is a horror/suspense movie with a pretty straightforward plot: a rich guy collects a bunch of desperate schlubs and invites them to his house to "play a game," with the winner having all of his or her problems going away. It's been done many times, but this one stands out for me because of the eclectic choice of cast. It has Brittany Snow (Chloe from Pitch Perfect), Lawrence Gilliard, Jr. (the punter from The Waterboy), Sasha Grey (the girl in those RedTube movies), John Heard (the dad in Home Alone), Eddie Steeples (Crabman from My Name Is Earl), Robb Wells (Ricky from Trailer Park Boys), Robin Lord Taylor (Penguin from Gotham), and Jeffrey Combs (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). The cast does a good job of acting like rational people stuck in the deadliest game of "Would You Rather" that they've ever played, but the standouts are Combs and Taylor who play the rich father and son hosting the game. They chew the scenery like no tomorrow, especially Combs who leans in on playing the most delightfully demented host you could possibly have. Some of it is kind of hard to watch, and the ending is pretty decent.

The movie is free on Showtime Anytime if you've got an account. It's definitely worth a watch if hammy suspense movies are your thing.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Nothing Sacred (1937, William A. Wellman) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
Wild at Heart (1990, David Lynch) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
One of Our Aircraft is Missing (1942, Michael Powell/Emeric Pressburger) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
Shoah (1985, Claude Lanzmann) [Blu-ray] - 5/5
Show People (1928, King Vidor) [DVD] - 4/5

The Stooge (1951, Norman Taurog) [DVD] - 3.5/5
Hannibal (2001, Ridley Scott) [UHD] - 4/5
Losing Ground (1982, Kathleen Collins) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
The Son of the Sheik (1926, George Fitzmaurice) [Blu-ray] - 2.5/5
The Spiral Staircase (1946, Robert Siodmak) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5

The Woman in the Window (1946, Fritz Lang) [Blu-ray] - 4/5

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 3, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Egbert Souse posted:

Wild at Heart (1990, David Lynch) [Blu-ray] - 4/5

If you would

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Avengers: Endgame - Yikes. Even up against the other Avengers films (which are usually a mess compared to the solo arcs) this was one of the most interminable experiences I've had in a movie theater, I think maybe ever. The most immediate comparison would probably be Batman V Superman which, at such a remove, might actually be a more entertaining watch than Endgame. Biggest issue here is that despite the wildly outsized Universal Quandary narrative stakes there is almost no dramatic tension over the course of 3 very long hours, at least in terms of film narratives; perhaps one could make a case for the editing resembling the final episode of a tv series, but even then it would be a pretty mediocre episode in an age where people are scrutinizing every last detail and design decision of something like GoT.

The humor falls flat in nearly every instance, and much of the clumsy juxtaposition of humor with drama comes off as almost Star Wars prequel-level bad. There's an agonizing amount of time spent on incredibly lame parent-child recognition arcs. Between said generational kruft, the clipshow-esque heist bits that use recycled footage from previous Marvel joints, AND the cringeworthy product placement references to other time travel films...everything ends up feeling padded, cheap, and inauthentic. I suppose it's a perfect representation of the capitalist moment that the endlessly hyped 3-billion-dollar grossing cultural touchstone would end up as a milquetoast All You Can Eat buffet that's nearly forgotten one month later. Add in standard Disney propaganda political subtexts cranked to loving 11 and you have a rather warped pop-cult filter of world events that's less escapism and more institutionalized mass denial.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Detective Pikachu - 3.5/5 Plot was pretty silly but the visuals and characters were pretty charming. Probably a bit too convoluted for kids but they'll be so lost in the world they won't care.

Rocketman - 5/5 Loved how full into the musical format they dove and Taron Egerton was fantastic. Oscar potential for both him and the film.

Booksmart - 5/5 Really loving great. Was worried it would just be Superbad but girls, and to an extent sure, it's kind of that, but with much more depth. I put this up there with Edge of 17 and Ladybird for great coming of age films in this generation.

Godzilla King of the Monsters - 3/5 Really a 1/5 as far as story/characters/anything else goes but the sheer scale they convey with the designs and set pieces is really fun. See it in IMAX/Dolby.

stratofarius
May 17, 2019

Rocketman - 4/5. Whenever the people are singing and being on a musical, this movie is fantastic. Everything else starts getting more and more repetitive. Overall a very fun time at the movies.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Cleaning off my DVD shelves, so here's an info dump of some mostly not so great movies:

Night at the Museum Battle of the Smithsonian: 6/10 All this movie is is a bullshit excuse to have "funny" scenes with more historical figures and art coming to life only we're in a bigger museum now! Definitely go watch the first film instead, which has a much better and tighter plot in between the chaotic wackiness (and better villains too).

District 13 (Banlieue 13): 7/10 Decent enough action film with a social commentary plot. The action scenes probably would have been more interesting if I had watched it closer to when this move came out, i.e. when parkour was a "new" thing. I don't know why this one got labeled as the "French kung fu movie" since it has nothing to do with kung fu or martial arts style films really.

Geisha Assassin (Geisha vs Ninjas): 0/10 This movie has the least amount of plot possible in a martial arts film. Though it's technically a Japanese samurai flick it follows the "series of boss fights plot" that many kung fu films do. They tried to be clever by starting in with the fights and gradually revealing the titular character's motivation towards the end, but they started doing this too late in the film and a lot of the poorly explained details wind up in an exposition dump by the final boss at the end. It's an extremely basic getting revenge for her murdered father story, and the fight choreography is not nearly good enough to save it; some fights were on the level of hand to hand combat in Power Rangers. Plus a lot of shots are too dark or dimly lit. Skip this one and find another martial arts film, any one will do.

Bird on a Wire: 5/10 Feels like a star vehicle even though Mel Gibson and Goldie Hawn are at or near the height of their careers when this came out? It's the sort of action comedy mishmash you'd watch a few minutes of if you saw it flipping channels on cable before moving on.

Lethal Weapon 1-3: 9/10 A++ would watch again etc. The first one is the best but 2 and 3 are still pretty good. Can't remember the last time I watched an action movie that had actual plot in between the gunfire. I had no clue about Riggs' being suicidal in the first movie nor how openly/brazenly/large of an impact it has on the character and plot. The frankness of it was rather shocking, but in a good way. The films hold up way better than I expected, and I was surprised that there was a lot of continuity between them after watching them back to back. This DVD stays on the shelf but now the question is CineD goons, do I go watch 4 or just let it stand as is?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I thought Lethal Weapon 4 was pretty good, personally. Although I think that was also at the point in my teens where I was super into martial arts movies and Jet Li specifically, so seeing him in it was cool. Overall the movie isn't as good as the first 3 but it's still solid and Jet Li is a stupendous badass as the villain. They really play up the "too old for this poo poo" angle which is kind of funny since nowadays it seems like older actors are turning (or returning) to action more and more and kicking more rear end than ever.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, the fourth one isn't quite as good, but it's still well worth your time.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Inspector 34 posted:

I thought Lethal Weapon 4 was pretty good, personally. Although I think that was also at the point in my teens where I was super into martial arts movies and Jet Li specifically, so seeing him in it was cool. Overall the movie isn't as good as the first 3 but it's still solid and Jet Li is a stupendous badass as the villain. They really play up the "too old for this poo poo" angle which is kind of funny since nowadays it seems like older actors are turning (or returning) to action more and more and kicking more rear end than ever.

It was also Jet Li's Hollywood debut. I remember people at the time going "Who the gently caress was that?! :stare:"

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Cythereal posted:

It was also Jet Li's Hollywood debut. I remember people at the time going "Who the gently caress was that?! :stare:"

pity the fool who hadn't seen Fist of Legend

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Sound like a good excuse to see more of Jet Li than the first five minutes of Unleashed. Lethal Weapon 4 pops up pretty frequently in thrift stores, so I'll keep an eye out. If there's one "good" thing streaming has done there's a veritable bounty of DVDs in second hand shops now. Makes catching up on poo poo you forgot about real easy.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Booksmart is fun and definitely funny. It's a little disjointed at times, pieces where it's clear scenes were re-shot/ADRed. I think there may have been a considerable amount of improv, which to me means the script isn't as strong. It's being compared to Superbad and has a party odyssey plot to it, but Booksmart isn't nearly as well put together and doesn't have across the board dominant comedy performances. It is, however, sex positive, LGBT friendly and doesn't get too crass about the humor. It comes off as very sweet and does wend its way into sappy at times, but overall it was a good time and made me laugh. The two leads play well off of one another, and their classmates, especially the two theater nerds, are really funny. It's interesting to see the contrast between the younger actors and Lisa Kudrow & Will Forte when they show up. They're such comedy heavyweights by comparison, although Beanie Feldstein (Molly) is strong when she doesn't have goofy direction. It's nice to see a comedy for a change, and an attempt that isn't just finding new ways to shoehorn in new levels of vulgarity and fart jokes. Passing grade for the good time, Olivia Wilde should keep making movies. 7/10.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

bort posted:

Passing grade for the good time, Olivia Wilde should keep making movies. 7/10.

That's how I felt about it, too.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Loqueesha (2019): F-

I thought this movie might at least be an amusing trainwreck like Battlefield Earth or The Room. It's not. It's just a poorly put-together film written by a manchild with stilted dialog and a plot so telegraphed that even a goldfish could predict what would happen next. It's utterly banal and dumb, save for one line that stood out from all the others. While portraying Loqueesha, Jeremy Saville mentions that white people are slaves to other people's opinions, making them the new slaves. I don't know what he thought that should mean, but all I know is that I hate it, and I hate him.

gently caress this movie, and gently caress Jeremy Saville.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I can't not see "Jimmy Savile" every time I see Jeremy Saville come up.

The Decline of Western Civilization (1981, Penelope Spheeris) [Criterion Channel] - 4.5/5
Michael (1924, Carl Th. Dreyer) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
Wheels on Meals (1985, Sammo Hung) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5
Purple Rain (1984, Albert Magnoli) [Blu-ray] - 3/5
Letter to an Unknown Woman (1948, Max Ophuls) [Blu-ray] - 4/5
American Psycho (2000, Mary Harron) [UHD] - 4/5

Wild at Heart was the last Lynch feature I hadn't seen. I managed to catch up on Dune, Lost Highway, and Inland Empire not too long ago. It's actually fascinating to see how much conceptual continuity is between his films, as this feels organically tied to both Blue Velvet and Twin Peaks. Nicolas Cage and Laura Dern are amazing in this, but there's plenty of other scenery chewing bits (especially Diane Ladd, Willem Dafoe, and J.E. Freeman). There's a sort of surrealism to it that makes me wonder if Lynch was going for commentary on the South considering Sailor barely does any time for some serious crimes. As if he'd elaborate on any of that, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Egbert Souse posted:

Wheels on Meals (1985, Sammo Hung) [Blu-ray] - 3.5/5

You better explain yourself for not giving this 5/5. :monocle: