Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Yeah that was just completely savage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Re: Stork vs Mini

I was so focused on the possibility of Scouts that I didn't even consider a loving SHIELD BATTERY :eyepop:

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
This graphics mod :staredog:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

it really is something

it's based off of this guy's starcraft youtube videos

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
That carbot showmatch was hilarious. Also epic last game in the finals but hopefully the other races have a better showing next tournament.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

finally caught up with the final match, yeah it was interesting to watch but my heart wasn't in it as much as it was for the Carbot exhibition match. Can we get that as a skin or something for offline play? I want to go through the campaign with those now :allears:

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

They played a trailer for the mod after the show match, and that contained a glimpse of a redone briefing screen. Based on that, I'd assume it's going to be a full conversion.
https://www.twitch.tv/videos/436071738 (at about 1:04:20)

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

well that's what I get for skipping right to the games when I'm watching these VODs

Cheech Marinade
Apr 17, 2002
Where do they have the third place match? I couldn't find it on twitch.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Aces High posted:

well that's what I get for skipping right to the games when I'm watching these VODs

And skip all the quality Tastosis banter? :(

I usually just skip the ads and the player interviews because like any sport they're very repetitious.

Cheech Marinade posted:

Where do they have the third place match? I couldn't find it on twitch.

I don't think there was one, and looking at Liquipedia it appears that, unlike ASL, there isn't a 3rd place match so they put 3rd & 4th together in 3rd place. lol

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India
Qualifiers for ASL S8 started.

Flash is back - he qualified, even beat foreigners on the way. Artosis participated, was out in the first round.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

there was also a wildcard qualifier to replace Effort, who's going to the military, vods can be found in this TL post. They're only on Afreeca and only in Korean though

Khorne
May 1, 2002
This is a pretty entertaining TvZ from recently. Lots of twists and turns.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

I'm unsure why Queen gg'd in the last game of this series--Flash was holding on 2base but getting close to mined out and its not like he was getting map control and zerg could've just expanded. Was it really just "oops i ran my entire army in and now i'm open to a counterattack at low/middling supply?"

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Flash was 100% going to secure the 3rd and Queen was sitting on 0/0 hydras and lair tech vs a terran with 2/1 mech (soon to be 3/2) and vessel support. Goliaths aren't great vs hydras but when you're up 3 upgrades the gols will win eventually; you can see this near the end when about 12+ hydras fight Flash's 8 or so goliaths. That's normally a fight the hydras will take but they get smashed even with about half the goliaths doing their best dragoon impressions in the back. Once there was about 4ish tanks out flash would've walked across the map and won.

A great game though and Queen very nearly toppled Flash a few times. Mutas are disgustingly good.

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Great series.

I'm impressed Queen took it all the way to game 9. Queen was quite successful in the first few matches with the early ling aggression and keeping the pressure up to close the game out, but after that Flash made the necessary adjustments and that seemed to become less effective.

It also seemed like there were a few situations where Queen got into the lead and then managed to throw away the game by suiciding units into the Terran base unfavorably.

Game 6: Queen takes out Flash's natural and a ton of SCVs, then tries to run his muta/hydra army into the fortified Terran main and promptly loses half his army to siege tanks and irradiate. Then Flash turtles for a bit and builds up a critical mass of bio/vessels at which point he can freely move across the map and end the game.

Game 9: There was a point Queen's muta groups managed to take out almost all of Flash goliaths, but instead of keeping the pressure up with muta harass he ran all his lings straight into the Terran bunker wall and lost them instead. The switch to hydras at the end also seemed rather odd, why not lurkers? Especially since they would have been on the high ground area above the main and could have hit the mining SCVs below.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

lmfao fuckin sacsri is the first to advance out of the first group

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

lmfao fuckin sacsri is the first to advance out of the first group

so much burrow

Youtube vod isn't available for whatever reason, afreeca vod here: http://vod.afreecatv.com/PLAYER/STATION/45562020

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

That new map is pretty wacky. I hope we get to see an army get trapped on the wrong side of it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Fanatic posted:

That new map is pretty wacky. I hope we get to see an army get trapped on the wrong side of it.

yeah it is neat and has potential for hilarity. i really like the crazy maps asl has been using the last few seasons, in comparison to ksl which still uses maps that've been around for literal decades.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Yeah Multiverse is a cool map, starting out open on the early game and then being easily able to close it up and then open it up again even later with more difficulty is a super neat concept

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Anyone actually playing SC Remastered?

Any tips on where to find people to play against, any good videos or websites that go over current meta builds (and opponent's builds, and key concepts in matchups and build vs build)?

Any good practice maps?

I'm a bit undecided between terran and zerg as well.

Seems like battlenet is always super dead.

The videos I found on youtube weren't very informative.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 2, 2019

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

larva chose iggy azalea as his intro song, now i hope he loses

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

Khorne posted:

Anyone actually playing SC Remastered?

Any tips on where to find people to play against, any good videos or websites that go over current meta builds (and opponent's builds, and key concepts in matchups and build vs build)?

Any good practice maps?

I'm a bit undecided between terran and zerg as well.

Seems like battlenet is always super dead.

The videos I found on youtube weren't very informative.

Day9 has a pretty good series on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q67zv_p0jBA (SA doesn't let me link to the playlist, just search let's learn starcraft, link is just the first video)

Other than that, liquipedia wiki has more of the specific build orders and other info about meta.

There are discords for new players:

https://discord.gg/B8JjVEh (LMaster's Beginner Discord - did not visit this, so can't say what people are like)
https://discord.gg/6e6CHud (Coach Pupil League, tournament for low MMR players, you can also find people to play with there)

Gmaz fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 2, 2019

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

What did you guys think of Cadenzie's casting? I thought it was pretty good, although I didn't think it was as good as Tasteless. However, not a fair comparison since he has 10 years of Starcraft casting and I preferred her to both NoRegret and Rapid.

E: Also this happened

Elyv fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jul 3, 2019

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

Elyv posted:

What did you guys think of Cadenzie's casting? I thought it was pretty good, although I didn't think it was as good as Tasteless. However, not a fair comparison since he has 10 years of Starcraft casting and I preferred her to both NoRegret and Rapid.

Not too bad I thought. Having first hand experience playing against some of the ASL players like Rush was cool and she added alot to the Zerg matchups for sure.

She might need to work on her voice projection though because she was fairly quiet, which is fine for her stream but not so much for casting games. She'd benefit alot from doing a Toastmasters course. :)

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
She's alright for the BW stuff given how little experience she has casting. Her game knowledge is really good and she's like several hundred mmr higher than artosis lol

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
I think shed be better paired with Tasteless than Artosis. Artosis is an analyst and Tasteless is an announcer — I’m not saying that to dunk on anybody, but Artosis and Cadenzie ends up kind of being the two of them pondering the strategic state of play quietly to one another while the game is busy happening. It’s fine, I definitely prefer that to Rapid who is just annoying, but it’s not as engaging a combination as Tastosis.

I think Tastosis + Cadenzie might be interesting setup. The Koreans have a famous three caster team with one from each race, right?

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

A technical question about the assimilator/geyser gates:

From what I understand, they work because the assimilator is slightly smaller than the geyser (and refineries/extractors are not). Is it possible for a protoss player to build a new assimilator on top of the geysers, and thus "reopen" the gate? If no, why not?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

On Troy(and I assume all the maps that use that idea) the geysers are unbuildable.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

That and that seems like a waste of time and resources, no? Surely there are better things to do than just rebuild an Asimilator.

Also I like Cadenzi, mainly because it's nice to have the english casting team not be a huge sausage fest. She's got plenty of time to get better and realise she can talk with more volume but for now just having a female voice on the team is nice

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

skasion posted:

I think shed be better paired with Tasteless than Artosis. Artosis is an analyst and Tasteless is an announcer — I’m not saying that to dunk on anybody, but Artosis and Cadenzie ends up kind of being the two of them pondering the strategic state of play quietly to one another while the game is busy happening. It’s fine, I definitely prefer that to Rapid who is just annoying, but it’s not as engaging a combination as Tastosis.

I think Tastosis + Cadenzie might be interesting setup. The Koreans have a famous three caster team with one from each race, right?

i agree that cadenzie would probably pair better with tasteless than artosis. i'm not sure about her casting along with both of them though; i feel like she'd very likely be drowned out by them since when they are together they are quite loud and talk a whole lot. but hey maybe i'm wrong and it'd be awesome, i'm sure open to the idea at least.

she definitely needs to speak up either way but otherwise i greatly appreciated her expertise in zerg, since that's my race.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Korean Starcraft Broodwar-like meta cast by Artosis+Tasteless(+Cadenzi) - it's like my youth all over again! :getin:

But wait, does this mean they become Tastonzi if they morph together?

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 4, 2019

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
hate to lose to proxy 2 rax reaper despite opening 15 gas due to my bad micro

cant break masters, hell cant break diamond 2 anymore. shameful

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Man, Soulkey vs Ample is great TvZ. I think this is the first time I've seen Queens used properly.

Also great mindgames in game 3.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures
The fake main drop/front bust in Snow vs ZeLot was real neat as well.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Nostalgamus posted:

A technical question about the assimilator/geyser gates:

From what I understand, they work because the assimilator is slightly smaller than the geyser (and refineries/extractors are not). Is it possible for a protoss player to build a new assimilator on top of the geysers, and thus "reopen" the gate? If no, why not?

Yes it is and you're correct regarding the sizing. Neutral and player-built buildings of the same type have the same dimensions and, in general, the same default properties (though this almost never matters since you can't for example mine a neutral Assimilator, but does come up with things like Queens infecting a neutral Command Center).

I Love You! fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jul 10, 2019

Khorne
May 1, 2002
Please link games you're talking about. I don't know if I'm an old man or what but I never remember where to watch brood war.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

drat there were some good-rear end games the last few nights, i fuckin love starcraft

Khorne posted:

Please link games you're talking about. I don't know if I'm an old man or what but I never remember where to watch brood war.

you can watch matches here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK5eBtuoj_HkdXKHNmBLAXg

the streams are live every thursday and sunday night at 3am pacific time. that channel also streams starcraft 2 if you like watching a vastly inferior game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

Nostalgamus posted:

Man, Soulkey vs Ample is great TvZ. I think this is the first time I've seen Queens used properly.

Also great mindgames in game 3.
I see why they aren't used more often though, basically every time he got off a successful broodling he also lost the queen. And there was a bunch of time where the queens were sitting around getting picked off before doing anything. I think he only managed to use about half of them successfully.