Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Jazerus posted:

it's because java's getter/setter implementation brain damaged an entire generation by requiring explicit getButts/setButts calls, instead of making them a language feature for easily overloading access and assignment like in a sane language

My coworker has an immutability stick shoved so far up his rear end that in order to change a field on any object, a new object needs to be created first. I blame lombok for allowing him to do this with annotations instead of having to manually write out all this bullshit code. Let me tell you how fun it is to debug code when you can't watch anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

poemdexter posted:

My coworker has an immutability stick shoved so far up his rear end that in order to change a field on any object, a new object needs to be created first. I blame lombok for allowing him to do this with annotations instead of having to manually write out all this bullshit code. Let me tell you how fun it is to debug code when you can't watch anything.

Sounds like you're getting the worst of both worlds. Having no mutable state in your application is extremely cool and good and makes debugging a breeze.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

:wtc:

If you use our product as a glorified filesystem browser it's faster!

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Clanpot Shake posted:

Sounds like you're getting the worst of both worlds. Having no mutable state in your application is extremely cool and good and makes debugging a breeze.

He's young and prefers implementing patterns everywhere. One of his codebases is incredibly large filled with mappers and entities and models. Can't just pass data from one place to another inside the application!

My personal favorite is this gem:
code:
public class BidirectionalEnumMap<L extends Enum<L>, R extends Enum<R>>

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

poemdexter posted:

He's young and prefers implementing patterns everywhere. One of his codebases is incredibly large filled with mappers and entities and models. Can't just pass data from one place to another inside the application!

My personal favorite is this gem:
code:
public class BidirectionalEnumMap<L extends Enum<L>, R extends Enum<R>>

Oh, I long for the days when I too thought that writing this would win me brownie points with other coworkers.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Turns out the only point of implementation of that class was something that used two enums: BatchProcess and BatchProcessEnum. Both of the enums have the same values inside.

I just had a long discussion with team lead and the dev who did this about it. They are super anal about keeping the request layer separate from the app layer separate from the db layer. I'm all for this if we're talking about logic but this is just objects that aren't different. They are POJOs with slightly different field names. And on top of it, mappers that go from one to the other.

The cherry on top is that most of the controller layer is autogenerated by swagger. I asked what happens when someone alters those files to add additional logic and then later someone changes the API and regenerates the controllers? I just got a shrug as a response. I'm so happy I'll never touch that codebase.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

NihilCredo posted:

If is is 'the greatest piece of bad code you've ever seen' you've lived either a charmed or a short life.
Oh, c'mon. It is an entire file, with its own custom namespace, with a custom class you have to instantiate, with carefully laid out regions, all to store a single string that you could just declare literally anywhere if you needed it. I've never seen something so idiotically beautiful.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:

CapnAndy posted:

Oh, c'mon. It is an entire file, with its own custom namespace, with a custom class you have to instantiate, with carefully laid out regions, all to store a single string that you could just declare literally anywhere if you needed it. I've never seen something so idiotically beautiful.

There's plenty of stupid stuff in that class: the regions, not using auto-properties, the pointless constructor declaration, but there's absolutely no inherent horror in wrapping a string in a custom type.

Maybe the way it's used makes it stupid, but that's not demonstrated from that example.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I don't know I'm kind of with CapnAndy; the act itself isn't that sacrilegious but the lengths went to to actually do it seem to be.

dwazegek
Feb 11, 2005

WE CAN USE THIS :byodood:
The boilerplate stuff is excessive and pointless, but, if anything, the class doesn't take the idea far enough. If it were immutable with some basic input validation in the constructor, then it'd be a definite improvement over just passing strings around.

So maybe the real horror is that they half-assed it :shrug:

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
There's nothing terribly wrong with creating a class "just" to hold a string, if you're going to use that class to enforce type-safety (you may use that class somewhere you couldn't just use a string, to accomplish something specific). All the extra junk added around the thing is a bit silly, of course. And it's arguably taking things to an extreme to wrap a single primitive value in that way. But it is defensible.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008
"This is the coding horrors thread! Away with your at best mildly perturbing code."

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Is posting stuff from Twitter cheating?

https://twitter.com/Zorchenhimer/status/1134178911628267520

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
What if I need to reuse my Boolean compare, huh? Did you consider that?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Joda posted:

What if I need to reuse my Boolean compare, huh? Did you consider that?

Look at it again

HexiDave
Mar 20, 2009

Hammerite posted:

Look at it again

That's actually a pretty great layered horror.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

Hammerite posted:

Look at it again

Holy poo poo

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Forget all that. The real horror is that the compare method should return an int.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i am like a factory for bugs like that which is why i write so many tests

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

i am like a factory for bugs like that which is why i write so many tests

I've seen code about this bad with perfect unit test coverage.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Doom Mathematic posted:

Because test coverage doesn't tell you anything about the quality or correctness of code, which is why people need to stop treating it as if it does.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

Because test coverage doesn't tell you anything about the quality or correctness of code, which is why people need to stop treating it as if it does.

Middle managers need metrics to show to their managers. Numbers that hopefully go up. The numbers themselves are meaningless therefore, anything that they can put in there helps. Code coverage is one such number. Lines of code was another (thank god they know better now).

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I noticed the other day that I'd turned something like return foo.split(",") to return foo.split(",") + bar.split(",") and the test coverage would have stayed 100% anyway had I not already written tests to confirm the new logic. Then I started to wonder if I should rewrite the function in a way that would have made the test coverage drop, had I not already added the necessary tests. Then I wondered what kind of antipattern that is.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Doom Mathematic posted:

who said anything about coverage?

Comradephate
Feb 28, 2009

College Slice

CPColin posted:

I noticed the other day that I'd turned something like return foo.split(",") to return foo.split(",") + bar.split(",") and the test coverage would have stayed 100% anyway had I not already written tests to confirm the new logic. Then I started to wonder if I should rewrite the function in a way that would have made the test coverage drop, had I not already added the necessary tests. Then I wondered what kind of antipattern that is.

Test coverage is only part of the picture.

It’s still up to you and the person reviewing your PR to determine that the tests are testing relevant things and that the tests will fail when you break the thing.

If the tests still pass if the function does the needful and fail if it doesn’t, that seems fine?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
The function takes an object that contains those foo and bar values, so the signature didn't change, which would have made the tests fail to compile. If I had not touched the tests, they would still have passed with 100% code coverage. That felt weird.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
like that code snippet is magnificently bad but it's also the kind of thing i've refactored myself into under a deadline and only got caught because i decided to test the actual meat of my code.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
It returns 0 when the two objects are equal, 1 when the first object is bigger than the second, if your tests don't cover the third case then it looks a lot like a Compare method ;)

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007
More a Coding-oh-my-god-I'm-too-old-for-this

I get invited to give a slack channel to give advice on a particularly crusty old system that a team of shiny new consultants are replacing. This system has been making about $3 million a year, for maybe a weeks dev work annually for the last 7 years. The replacement project is budgeted to run a year with a team of 3 dev-pairs + senior + qa + delivery lead, etc.

slack posted:

contractor1: We've fixed the tests to cover the bugs in the CSV generator
me: Uhhhh, we're writing CSV generators?
contractor1: Yeah, we copy & pasted the one from the Apache libraries, but left out part of it.
me: You didn't want to just include the library?
contractor1: The library is too big, So we just cut'n'pasted the bits we wanted instead.

Weeks later

qa1: Why is the <downstream system> full of weird characters instead of valid UTF8?

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

quote:

The function takes an object that contains those foo and bar values, so the signature didn't change, which would have made the tests fail to compile. If I had not touched the tests, they would still have passed with 100% code coverage. That felt weird.

I didn't understand what "100% code coverage" means so I googled "test coverage metric" and it came back with this:

Google posted:

People also ask

How do you calculate test coverage?

Test coverage measured against lines of code

(A) the total lines of code in the piece of software you are testing, and.
(B) the number of lines of code all test cases currently execute, and.

Find (B divided by A) multiplied by 100 – this will be your test coverage %.

is that what you mean? It seems clear that that's a stupid metric since it tests only whether a line of code is touched, not whether all combinations of possible program conditions/parameter states (qualitatively defined) are tested. So it isn't any surprise that new tests had to be added to catch the fact that the logic had changed (now we need a new test to make sure that if there is anything in bar, then that extra stuff gets included in the return value).

I'm just trying to figure out what you mean, because I was having trouble understanding. It sounds like you're assigning a lot of weight to this "test coverage" metric which is, as already remarked, a stupid metric. But maybe that was the point of your anecdote in the first place.

Trammel posted:

More a Coding-oh-my-god-I'm-too-old-for-this

I get invited to give a slack channel to give advice on a particularly crusty old system that a team of shiny new consultants are replacing. This system has been making about $3 million a year, for maybe a weeks dev work annually for the last 7 years. The replacement project is budgeted to run a year with a team of 3 dev-pairs + senior + qa + delivery lead, etc.

[quote]contractor1: We've fixed the tests to cover the bugs in the CSV generator
me: Uhhhh, we're writing CSV generators?
contractor1: Yeah, we copy & pasted the one from the Apache libraries, but left out part of it.
me: You didn't want to just include the library?
contractor1: The library is too big, So we just cut'n'pasted the bits we wanted instead.

Weeks later

qa1: Why is the <downstream system> full of weird characters instead of valid UTF8?[quote]

did you ask them what "the library is too big" means?

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Hammerite posted:

Not my project. Personally if I can retire without ever having written a CSV parser or generator on the job, I'll be pretty satisfied.

Still, the consulting company bills by the hour, so I guess they're happy too.

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Yes, nor do unit tests in general. Not if they're written after the implementation by people who don't have a clear idea of what they're doing. My point is, even if every possible behaviour in the codebase is rigorously tested, the code and the tests can still be wrong together.

CPColin posted:

This is the textbook use case for TDD, writing the failing test first and then fixing the code to make the test pass.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

If rather walk into a codebase written by average developers with 100% test coverage than any number under 100.

Really smart and experienced developers know what's important to test, what responsibilities belong to the code, where the test boundaries lie, and what the best balance between unit tests and integration tests are.

Average developers get stuck writing the test description, and cut'n'paste it from somewhere else.

Nippashish
Nov 2, 2005

Let me see you dance!
In my experience coverage is a useful metric if you can avoid thinking of it as more coverage === more good. Knowing that a file has 100% coverage doesn't tell you there are no bugs, but knowing a file has 50% coverage tells you there's a bunch of code that no one is checking at all.

I also like looking at incremental coverage (i.e. change in coverage from a particular CL). Again, you can't read it like negative incremental coverage === auto reject, but if you're writing untested code there should probably be a reason. As a reviewer seeing negative incremental coverage is a signal to look more closely for this reason.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
it's because it's more efficient to just write the code without any bugs in the first place, so obviously that is what i, a perfect logical machine, always do

if it produces the wrong answers then that's probably your fault for running it in the wrong reality

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Nippashish posted:

In my experience coverage is a useful metric if you can avoid thinking of it as more coverage === more good. Knowing that a file has 100% coverage doesn't tell you there are no bugs, but knowing a file has 50% coverage tells you there's a bunch of code that no one is checking at all.

I also like looking at incremental coverage (i.e. change in coverage from a particular CL). Again, you can't read it like negative incremental coverage === auto reject, but if you're writing untested code there should probably be a reason. As a reviewer seeing negative incremental coverage is a signal to look more closely for this reason.

Yeah, this is a good post.

If you're a good developer (meaning you know your limits, not that you're a Rock Star Programmer) test coverage gives you useful information and on top of that it gives you something to throw at managers!

Is there a good way of perfectly knowing how good and useful the tests are for a project? I can't think of a way that doesn't involve being an omniscient AI, so all we can do is make the best decisions we can with the snippets of information we have.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Hammerite posted:

dude some of these apache things are, like, hundreds of kb. maybe even mefabytes. across dozens of vms it ccan really add up

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

Thermopyle posted:

Is there a good way of perfectly knowing how good and useful the tests are for a project? ...

Knowing how "good and useful" the tests are is typically going to involve making an assessment of which sets of input represent truly distinct cases that need to be individually accounted for with their own tests. So no, there is always going to be an element of qualitative assessment except in the very most trivial of cases. There is no substitute for someone thinking "now what are all the ways this can go wrong"

NB. I'm going to immediately contradict myself and point out that mutation testing is sort of a way of measuring how good tests are. but it is difficult to use effectively from what I understand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Is there a good way of perfectly knowing how good and useful the tests are for a project? I can't think of a way that doesn't involve being an omniscient AI, so all we can do is make the best decisions we can with the snippets of information we have.

I've heard exciting things about mutation testing, but I don't know a whole lot about it. I know it doesn't do a whole lot in the case where the code is objectively wrong and the tests have been written to test that objectively wrong behaviour, but it does do something for assuring that the tests are actually preventing behaviour changes, as opposed to just wasting cycles on meaningless assertions.