Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ooft. nothing surprising but still sad to hear. It's baffling that Kickstarters just have no accountability, but I guess these things happen (esp without any real project management) and I don't know what remedy you could realistically seek from a bunch of broke nerds scattered across at least one country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

This is the least chill thing that's ever happened to me

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe
It seems to me like some of you forgot that the promise has been made...

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

This post eventually broke the silence

Now that's meme magic

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

ooft. nothing surprising but still sad to hear. It's baffling that Kickstarters just have no accountability, but I guess these things happen (esp without any real project management) and I don't know what remedy you could realistically seek from a bunch of broke nerds scattered across at least one country.

What would accountability look like in this case? Kickstarter forcing them to complete the game? Them owing all that money back? Whaddaya want from them

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

The game pitched in the kickstarter was really ambitious, so as tragic as it is it's not really surprising that it all fell apart. Still, it's nice to finally have some real info about what happened.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

What were the management problems?

For the sake of sharing bad dev stories when I was telling all my friends barkley 2 was my future goty I was "working" as writer on an indie arpg living in a cheap flat with some game degree graduates, 3 artists and 1 coder.
The coder refused to code, all 3 artists just made whatever.
Then the whole thing exploded cause the team leader was a racist oval office who forced us to play LoL all day and never worked and then two of the artists hosed his girlfriend.

At one point the team leader said he'd got us some new work with a famous property and we'd get some money up front. It turned out to be some Harry Potter ripoff kids fantasy series nobody has ever heard of and the author wanted us to pay him not the other way round lol

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

Thanks for taking us out behind the barn and putting us out of our misery, Hiratio.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If I had to guess, "management problems" probably mean one side wanted to change the game into something they were actually capable of making and the other side didn't and so they just hosed around for a while until it became clear they were screwed.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Line Feed posted:

Thanks for taking us out behind the barn and putting us out of our misery, Hiratio.

lol it's not gonna work the thread will spiral on till the death of the forums saying stuff like "can't wait for 2023" and "the promise has been ma-

aparmenideanmonad posted:

oh

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
Man, what a bummer. First thing I ever kickstarted. I blame these folks for my subsequent 180+ pledges to other projects.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

oddium posted:

should have tried to pitch it to devolver or something

yes, please

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
The real Hoops Barkley Saga is when I turn on Inside the NBA

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
Was it anywhere near completion? Or just a complete lost cause.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Hiratio posted:

Chef vanished from the project 2 1/2 years ago. I've tried contacting him multiple times and haven't received a response. Bort left around the same time to be a family man.

The Kickstarter was not necessary, especially in hindsight. The majority of work on this game was unpaid. Myself, Bort, and Chef are the original Barkley 1 creators. I did not join the Kickstarter with them because I was aware of the many problems that could (and did) arise.

I was asked to join the project 3 years after the KS when the project had little money and was in shambles. I was committed to trying to finish the game but it was consistently set back by horrible management and I ended up quitting. The person who owns ToG and is running it now had nothing to do with Barkley 1 and has zero game dev experience. He is the ToG PR guy.

When I quit, Lazrool also quit. We were the only two remaining who understood the technical inner workings of this game. Laz worked on this project nearly from the start, pro bono, and was tired of the nonsense as well.

There is no incentive for "ToG" or anyone attached to the KS to talk about this debacle.

Unironically thank you for coming here to say this.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Ignite Memories posted:

What would accountability look like in this case? Kickstarter forcing them to complete the game? Them owing all that money back? Whaddaya want from them

that would be the issue I mentioned in the second half of my post, yes

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's good to have a solid answer at least!

Hiratio
Sep 19, 2006
i will not allow

quote:

should have tried to pitch it to devolver or something
The game was pitched to companies / people for funding from what I was told, no one was interested. I'm not surprised. Thank the lord.

quote:

I'm actually the one who voiced that quote, back when I had some level of hope in this project and thought that ToG wanted to see this game come out. The promise has taken a sour turn.

quote:

What were the management problems?
An entire book could be written on the problems this game had. To name a choice few:

- There was a revolving door of workers on the game. Many were lured in with "percentages". You can only promise so many points. One of the reasons I quit is because I could not see this circle being squared.

- Divide and conquer. The team was split and there were 50 back channels where everyone had their own way of understanding this game.

- Goldfish attention span. A large amount of work was only done at most half way, then abandoned to work on some other "cool" thing.

- Unwillingness to cut or simplify anything despite not having the manpower and the game dragging for years on end.

- Management dictating how work should be done despite not understanding how it actually works. Leading to needlessly complicated systems, obsolete systems, and totally broken systems.

quote:

Was it anywhere near completion? Or just a complete lost cause.
The game has perpetually been 2 years away from completion for as long as I can remember, and there has been no will to fix this.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

so what I'm hearing is, there's some job openings

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hiratio posted:

- Goldfish attention span. A large amount of work was only done at most half way, then abandoned to work on some other "cool" thing.
- Management dictating how work should be done despite not understanding how it actually works. Leading to needlessly complicated systems, obsolete systems, and totally broken systems.

To be fair this sounds absolutely accurate to late-90s/early-2000s JRPG development.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

l m a o

Deep Thought
Mar 7, 2005
Barkely 2 not...real? What? I don't understand. The last two pages have been totally nonsensical. Let's go back to how it was five pages ago.

Chef B; if you're reading, how about re-opening the KickStarter. I just got my hands on :10bux: and I'd like to chip in seeing as I missed the opportunity the first time around.

Milovan Drecun
Apr 17, 2007
I masturbate in traffic.
drat, this is heartbreaking. It was the last real tie to Gaming World I kept, following this thread and believing that some day something would release. Appreciate your honesty, thanks for giving closure.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

they bricked the layup but i’m here on the rebound. even if it takes 10 years i’ll learn game dev and finish barking 2

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

slam dunk

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

i still beleive

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

Deep Thought posted:

Chef B; if you're reading, how about re-opening the KickStarter. I just got my hands on :10bux: and I'd like to chip in seeing as I missed the opportunity the first time around.

Seconded

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Credit where it's due for owning up to it, if nothing else.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Hiratio posted:

- Unwillingness to cut or simplify anything despite not having the manpower and the game dragging for years on end.

These points are the most baffling to me. Did people there not understand the whole reason any of us are interested in the first place is because Barkley 1 was funny? Who gives a poo poo about the systems or millions of guns or whatever, all we ever wanted was a funny game.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Thank you so much Hiratio for coming in and letting us know (and having the courage to break silence). its super appreciated

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Hiratio posted:

The game was pitched to companies / people for funding from what I was told, no one was interested. I'm not surprised. Thank the lord.

Man that's a shame, just think of all the epic jokes about gender pronouns and body pillows and 20+ year-old JRPGs we're missing out on. It would be like Duke Nukem Forever really sticking it to the Olsen Twins and WMDs in 2011 all over again

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i guess on the bright side barkley 2 isn't the worst about this (that'd be omori).

Sleeveless posted:

Man that's a shame, just think of all the epic jokes about gender pronouns and body pillows and 20+ year-old JRPGs we're missing out on. It would be like Duke Nukem Forever really sticking it to the Olsen Twins and WMDs in 2011 all over again

a lot of the funniest stuff in barkley 1 was basketball related and thus timeless.

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I think what I'm most sad about is the fact that I'm going to have start saying "video games" again

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I had maintained some glimmering hope that the game would be finished. I imagined it was more of a thing to do in between day jobs that might have seen actual release some day. I don't feel too bad about spending money on the kickstarter at this point. Like many, I rationalized it as payment for the first game. What was shown of the sequel looked promising, but the evidence of feature bloat was pretty apparent from the start. Maybe it could have been saved by a publisher, but at this point what's done is done. Thanks for shedding light on this so we can move on with our lives. RIP Barkley.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Groovelord Neato posted:

a lot of the funniest stuff in barkley 1 was basketball related and thus timeless.

Yeah but due to Barkley 2 being an actual commercial product all of the actual NBA and Space Jam references had to be cut so none of that would have been in the game anyways. Which is another reason the kickstarter was a bad idea.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
gently caress it im just gonna replay barkley 1 again

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

I had maintained some glimmering hope that the game would be finished. I imagined it was more of a thing to do in between day jobs that might have seen actual release some day.

yeah if i had a successful kickstarter i'd be making the game in my free time to make sure it got released if i ran out of money. are there kickstarters that have done that after the funds dried up?

omori got even more money than tog and hasn't he been silent for years.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Jun 2, 2019

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Thank you so much Hiratio for coming in and letting us know (and having the courage to break silence). its super appreciated

yeah this is cool

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
yeah I really appreciate the updates even if they make me sad

is there anything us shiftless goons on the internet can do or is it just like, dead, forever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

yeah if i had a successful kickstarter i'd be making the game in my free time to make sure it got released if i ran out of money. are there kickstarters that have done that after the funds dried up?

It seems pretty clear from hiratio's post that at some point after the original team had run out of money they had to re-examine their priorities. Making a game takes many hours of hard work. Free time that would otherwise be spent with friends, family, and other things would have to be given up. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to make that kind of sacrifice. I'm sure it was a hard decision to make.