Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

sincx posted:

I wonder, since most people wouldn't need PCIe 4 for years, if it'll be okay to buy a X470 motherboard to save some money and avoid having a tiny buzzing fan on the board.

Are DRAM speeds and Precision Boost affected by the southbridge? I'd think no, right?

My guess is that overclocking or updated PBO won't be as functional on X470. My guess is that B550 will still use PCIe 3.0. It's all speculation, so grains of salt. Hopefully reviews will be out before release, and reviews using older boards will probably be behind a week or three given how tight timing has been the last few hardware releases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Keep in mind that if you're not doing crazy PCI-E 4.0 NVMe RAID madness that chipset fan might never spin up, they have to design for a worst case scenario.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

SwissArmyDruid posted:

A caddy + slot frees up space, and moves the M.2 drive out to somewhere it can also get air for cooling, which the SSD controller will gladly take wherever possible.
Wonder how much greater the cooling requirements are for pcie4 drives.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

NewFatMike posted:

Threadripper 3000 series completely submerged in mineral oil. It's the only way to get the form factor smaller.

Riser cables are probably geficht for PCIe 4.0, right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWDYdK-0OHc&t=378s

Retail market-oriented Novec immersion cooling from CoolerMaster.

(as a side note: gently caress, I may have finally been infected with the RGB, the complete package on their expandable hardline water cooling kits earlier in the video, with the vortex and the frosted tubing looks great, and at that point, you kind of HAVE to light the inside of your case to make them visible, don't you?)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Wonder how much greater the cooling requirements are for pcie4 drives.

Considering that Samsung fixed their thermal throttling issues on their M.2 960s by making the label pull double duty as a heatsink by making it out of copper shim stock? Probably still "as long as it isn't sitting in a dead zone".

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 11:56 on May 31, 2019

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

spasticColon posted:

Does the X570 chipset run on 7nm as well? I can't seem to find that detail about the chipset.

chipsets are usually one or two fab processes behind the cpu

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

SwissArmyDruid posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWDYdK-0OHc&t=378s

Retail market-oriented Novec immersion cooling from CoolerMaster.

(as a side note: gently caress, I may have finally been infected with the RGB, the complete package on their expandable hardline water cooling kits earlier in the video, with the vortex and the frosted tubing looks great, and at that point, you kind of HAVE to light the inside of your case to make them visible, don't you?)

heavy breathing

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What's the earliest that we'll see widespread DDR5? 2024? Am I completely off-base on that? Cuz it took like, three, four years for DDR4 to hit critical mass, I figure it'll take at least five, considering diminishing returns.

2022 or until fabs switch to it full scale.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

NewFatMike posted:

heavy breathing

Fun fact about novec: it gets _everywhere_ since it's a volatile (esp under these conditions) fluorocarbon like PFOA.

There's a bitcoin mining company using it, and OCP is studying it for high density/PUE data centers.

But it'll like to escape and condense onto, well, all kinds of poo poo including your lungs! And is real bad for the environment.

OCP info: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m6UI27zGik

Also, cavitation is a thing with 2-phase immersion cooling, so have fun with conductive bits of metal floating around the fluid

These guys do single phase cooling using a derivative off what I believe is vegetable oil, highly purified: https://www.opencompute.org/files/OCP18-LiquidCool-Presentation-Review-final-March-21.pdf

Malcolm XML fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 31, 2019

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Malcolm XML posted:

Also, cavitation is a thing with 2-phase immersion cooling, so have fun with conductive bits of metal floating around the fluid

Seems like proper directional flow and a filtration system could pull that out easily enough. And the cavitation issue could probably be countered with some kind of pvd coating on those plate things they're attaching to the chips.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Malcolm XML posted:

2022 or until fabs switch to it full scale.

....eh, I can live with my system RAM only being mainstream for three years.

WE'RE BUILDING A NEW COMPUTER THIS SUMMER, WOOOOOOOOOOOO

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jun 1, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Malcolm XML posted:

Fun fact about novec: it gets _everywhere_ since it's a volatile (esp under these conditions) fluorocarbon like PFOA.
After watching that documentary about PFOAs (and specifically C8), I figure Novec can go to hell.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Malcolm XML posted:

Yeah, ideally you have the unit sealed completely and double-wall the enclosure with a peltier/coldplate vapor scavenging system in the interstitial space. Doesn't make for as fancy a trade-show demo, but it does mean you get >99% recovery on the fluid over a 90 day timespan.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

sincx posted:

If I have a motherboard-based (Intel Rapid Storage) RAID 1 array of 2 drives, can I move the drives to a AMD motherboard without having to rebuild the array?

Or should I use Windows Storage Spaces for more portability?

Nope, I'd definitely use Storage Spaces.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

sincx posted:

If I have a motherboard-based (Intel Rapid Storage) RAID 1 array of 2 drives, can I move the drives to a AMD motherboard without having to rebuild the array?

Or should I use Windows Storage Spaces for more portability?

It might Just Work. If it was me I'd try it just to see. (After backing up everything of course.)

Stanley Pain posted:

Nope, I'd definitely use Storage Spaces.

For someone with a simple 2 drives in raid 1 setup, why not go with a simple windows software mirror?

Storage Spaces seems neat if you need the flexible large-scale storage pool, but it has some downsides. (For examples, google "storage spaces recovery" and see how quickly people are reduced to waving dead chickens when the software is what's at fault.) The amount of possible janitoring could be worth doing if you're using the fancy features but I don't think just mirroring data meets that bar.

Like, a baseline for oh poo poo data recovery is "can a linux liveCD read this filesystem?" which is a strike for storage spaces.

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Mar 23, 2021

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Seems like proper directional flow and a filtration system could pull that out easily enough. And the cavitation issue could probably be countered with some kind of pvd coating on those plate things they're attaching to the chips.

A PVD coating wouldn't probably do anything with regard to cavitation.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

Like, a baseline for oh poo poo data recovery is "can a linux liveCD read this filesystem?" which is a strike for storage spaces.

One word. Backups.

If you're just using mirrored volumes (Storage Pools or Dynamic Disks) you should be able to read an individual disk as long as it's NTFS formated. If it's ReFS I'm not so sure about that. If you have them in some kind of parity/raid and a couple of drives fail you're pretty much SoL whichever route you went.

The initial question was asking about using RAID off the motherboard vs. Storage Pools and I'd pick a Storage Pool since it can migrate between hardware.

Personally I'm a big fan of ZFS :D

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Stanley Pain posted:

Personally I'm a big fan of ZFS :D
I'd say if you're running four disks or more in some redundant manner, and have RAM to spare, running a VM with FreeNAS or whatever there is for Linux, as virtual storage server.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Stanley Pain posted:

One word. Backups.

Got 'em. But my personal / important data is also on a dynamic disk soft mirror because I don't do the continuous backup thing. Oh poo poo still has some value to me because my backups might be up to two weeks old.

Stanley Pain posted:

The initial question was asking about using RAID off the motherboard vs. Storage Pools and I'd pick a Storage Pool since it can migrate between hardware.

Yeah, but I wanted to make sure the guy who asked knew that there is a third possibility. MS doesn't advertise the dynamic disk mirror feature heavily, which is a shame 'cause it's simpler than storage spaces and doesn't have the performance penalty.

If those are the *only* choices I'd think hard about Storage Spaces... mostly because I don't have 2 same-size-and-specs drives to use in a mobo raid set at the moment. I guess for me migration isn't quite as big a deal, because I don't do upgrades all that frequently. Anyways, both AMD & Intel can keep data from 1 drive while setting up a RAID1 set, which means migration is just an overnight sync.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/810675/AMD-Ryzen-5-3600-6-Core-Processor

https://www.techspot.com/news/80328-ryzen-5-3600-annihilates-2600-leaked-benchmarks.html

There are two test benchs of the R5 3600 on userbenchmark. One is at 3.75 GHz and the other 4.05 GHz. Below the announced boost of 4.2GHz so there's still some performance on the table, but it's looking real good against the 9600K.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Looks like at least power delivery aspects of PBO from 4XX motherboards are the same as 5XX:

https://www.pcgamesn.com/amd-ryzen-3000-cpus-x570-x470-b450-motherboard-performance

Donny Woligroski from AMD posted:

If someone’s searching for a platform, and doesn’t really need that enthusiast-class PCIe Gen4 storage, or you’re not planning to buy a PCIe Gen 4 graphics card in the next six months to a year, it makes a lot of sense to look at those lower-tier boards like the X470 and B450, which will offer the same performance on those 3rd Gen Ryzen processors as the X570 will.

So it looks like my guess was off. Nice that there's an option for folks whose current platfrom is doing it for them.

Alucardd
Aug 1, 2006
So with that in mind, I assume X470 boards on sale by next month will be uefi updated for Zen 2 from sellers like Newegg and Amazon? I plan on getting the MSI X470 Pro Carbon if I can guarantee I don't need a previous gen CPU to get it to work.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I want to overclock the CPU and try out overclocking memory so I'm not sure what would be the smartest choice yet. I heard the the new platform would include somewhat better OC support?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Haven't read any clockers playing with them yet, no idea. If oc is what you want, I'd just buy Intel right now.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Sininu posted:

I want to overclock the CPU and try out overclocking memory so I'm not sure what would be the smartest choice yet. I heard the the new platform would include somewhat better OC support?

There's no way of knowing until release and benchmarks, but the 5XX series supports way higher memory clocks, and I imagine much better package power delivery as well.

Relative to Intel, it's anyone's guess right now

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Alucardd posted:

So with that in mind, I assume X470 boards on sale by next month will be uefi updated for Zen 2 from sellers like Newegg and Amazon? I plan on getting the MSI X470 Pro Carbon if I can guarantee I don't need a previous gen CPU to get it to work.

Some etailers offer a BIOS update service for ~$30, I would not count on every outlet doing this for free and by default. Some boards feature a CPU-less update mode via USB image, I would put the $30 service charge towards a board that supports this.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

My m.2 nvme temps dropped at least 20C after moving the ssd to a corner of the motherboard instead of between gpu & cpu. Another good idea is to use pci express cards with m.2 slots. I don't understand why mobo makers place some of the m.2 slots to terrible hot zones.

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 2, 2019

Media Bloodbath
Mar 1, 2018

PIVOT TO ETERNAL SUFFERING
:hb:
I thought NAND likes it hot and only the controller should be cooled down?

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

mcbexx posted:

Some etailers offer a BIOS update service for ~$30, I would not count on every outlet doing this for free and by default. Some boards feature a CPU-less update mode via USB image, I would put the $30 service charge towards a board that supports this.

Conversely, I quite like the idea of having a motherboard that doesn't have the capability to negotiate DHCP, contact the manufacturer and process and checksum BIOS data before applying it; all without a CPU installed.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
So what's the verdict: are new AMD GPUs promising for a 4K display or should I wait for one more generation before playing games again?

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Hob_Gadling posted:

So what's the verdict: are new AMD GPUs promising for a 4K display or should I wait for one more generation before playing games again?

Depending on what games you play, not even Nvidia's GPU's are particularly promising for 4K gaming. The 2080 will do 60fps in most titles but not at the highest settings. Nothing indicates the upcoming AMD cards will do better than that.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Just upscale from 1080/1440/1800p and maybe turn down some settings. Or don’t play games, that’s fine too. :rolleyes:

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Tech (media, games consoles, videos, broadcasts etc) basically tried to jump straight to 4K from 1080p and doing it incredibly clumsily. It's baffling why we didn't just go to 1440p instead of trying to push 4k everywhere. The hardware just isn't ready for it.

Deathreaper
Mar 27, 2010

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

Tech (media, games consoles, videos, broadcasts etc) basically tried to jump straight to 4K from 1080p and doing it incredibly clumsily. It's baffling why we didn't just go to 1440p instead of trying to push 4k everywhere. The hardware just isn't ready for it.

This. Lesson learned for me, got a Dell U3011 (2560x1600) around 2010 and it took nearly 7 years until a single card, the 1080ti could drive it decently in all situations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

:capitalism:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Real talk, I think they felt since the tech for 4k was there already, why not push the latest and greatest. The other thing is that since 1440p isn't too much of a leap from 1080p, you're less likely to get people to make the jump to it as opposed to a larger jump to 4k.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
4k is P good for normal people things like design and reading documents and I've been using it for that since 2012 or so.

It's hard to simulate what your website looks like on hidpi displays without, you know, a hidpi display and it sure is more convenient than using your phone to test.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Were there any non-black pcb motherboards shown?

I want my next system to be colorful and not tacticool. My PC is always in sight when I'm working on my laptop before anyone says it should be under the desk, in a closet, on the moon or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

A pc should not have a window. Does your car's bonnet have a window? :iiaca: