Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

They did!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Doh. I didn't realize they had a new section. The pinned section is the same for each. Welp.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

you fool you idiot you moron

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

I reinstalled Field of Glory II on a wild hair after not really getting into it when it first released, hopped into one of the Rome vs. Carthage scenarios, aaaand wound up saving at 2AM just as the main lines were starting to clash. I think I get what can be so goddamn good about this game.

I gave it a few more hours today to wrap it up, and while my Velites and Spanish equivalents did far more damage to their skirmishers than they could and my Spanish troops on the wings won the first few punches for some early routs, the Carthaginian front line was just so loving numerous that I couldn't get a reliable failure wave going once the lines were engaged. I made some stupid moves with a few of my Triarii, didn't keep good spacing to avoid a terribly timed break on the near flank, and had the cavalry way too hung up on the wings to do enough flanking damage once the lines clashed, so the anvil just started to wither through attrition until we were both at 40% breakage.

Roman cavalry was finally able to fight through on the right, drive a group of skirmishers off the map, and turn back to hit the rear of the Carthaginian line just as my infantry achieve a breakthrough in the dead center - which I guess makes sense since it was where my veterans finally joined the fight - and started to roll up to the left in a race to rescue the Principes still barely holding the flank, abandoned by the Spanish and close to half strength. Carthage finally bailed once what was left of the Roman cavalry tore rear end through the backfield, running down routing units that had been dumb enough to try to rally.

I thought it was going to be a pretty easy re-intro to the game, but it got really evenly matched as the fighting dragged on and ultimately veterancy held out long enough to throw Carthage back into the desert. I almost quit a few times because of some pretty dumb mistakes (stacking steady units alongside others on the verge of routing from a melee, before I ran their melee action. They routed, which broke the steady units, and cascaded until I wound up losing 20% of my army to it), but I stuck with it and was given a pretty riveting experience and a victory in the end. I bought all of the other expansions, so I have antiquity soldiermen tabletop covered for the foreseeable future. Hell, looks like there's a ton of user scenarios and campaigns too.

Critical to my enjoyment was expanding the max angles you can tilt the camera and boosting the max zoom, though. That camera is tight otherwise.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:19 on May 30, 2019

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009

Squiggle posted:

I reinstalled Field of Glory II on a wild hair after not really getting into it when it first released

Oddly enough, I did this too a few days ago, and had a very similar experience. As a consequence, I am now extremely hyped for FoG: Empires.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Polygon has an article up on the beta testing for Close Combat: The Bloody First

https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/30/18644763/close-combat-bloody-first-pc-preview

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Matrix game with lovely UI and fascinating engine that few will play because of said lovely UI? Check!

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

gradenko_2000 posted:

Polygon has an article up on the beta testing for Close Combat: The Bloody First

https://www.polygon.com/2019/5/30/18644763/close-combat-bloody-first-pc-preview

Infantry units moving up on their own sounds cool, but "machine gun firing at dudes in their line of sight" is a bit less revolutionary.

Disobedient AI seems like it could be a fine balance between interesting and annoying.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Kickass Harpsichord posted:

Oddly enough, I did this too a few days ago, and had a very similar experience. As a consequence, I am now extremely hyped for FoG: Empires.

gently caress yeah, a real campaign overlaying the already excellent battle system? This is the dream, jank and all. I just hope they make the transition fairly seamless.

EDIT: God drat it, I forgot the new FoG2 expansion came out today - and I missed out on the 34% discount on the other expansions, buying them a day early. Whoops.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 30, 2019

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

fuf posted:

Infantry units moving up on their own sounds cool, but "machine gun firing at dudes in their line of sight" is a bit less revolutionary.

Disobedient AI seems like it could be a fine balance between interesting and annoying.

The CC series games have always had optional "act on your own initiative" and "always obey orders" settings.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

The CC series games have always had optional "act on your own initiative" and "always obey orders" settings.

Oh really? I don't remember that at all, and I played a ton. I played them in my early teens though so I probably barely knew what was going on.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
it's kind of hidden away in the settings

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009

Squiggle posted:

EDIT: God drat it, I forgot the new FoG2 expansion came out today - and I missed out on the 34% discount on the other expansions, buying them a day early. Whoops.

Again, me too! But fortunately I contained myself to buying one expansion at a time, so I missed the discount on only one of them.

The new expansion looks fascinating. Part of me wants to see them just keep making expansions all the way up until they'd start overlapping Pike and Shot, just because it would be hilarious to be able to say, "why yes, here's one game that covers more than two millennia of Western military history, and does it rather well. Questions?"

Larz
Jul 29, 2011

it's kind of hidden away in the settings

Games › Grognard Games Megathread - It's kind of hidden away in the settings.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
gently caress I didn't know Fields of Glory 2 was on sale. Finally it goes on sale and I'm in between jobs and can't afford it :cry:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

COOL CORN posted:

gently caress I didn't know Fields of Glory 2 was on sale. Finally it goes on sale and I'm in between jobs and can't afford it :cry:

Who is your favorite general: Alexander, Cyrus, or Belisarius?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Hey, the historical resources button works now in RtW2. Let's try it out!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Squiggle posted:

Who is your favorite general: Alexander, Cyrus, or Belisarius?

That's a tough as hell choice. Cyrus had the most interesting rule and life of the three, but Alexander has the most memorable battles (Granicus, Jaxartes, etc.).

...Probably Alexander when it just comes to the war side of things.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

You very recently saved me a large sum of money, allowing me to spend some of it somewhere else.

GROGS FLY TOGETHER

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Squiggle posted:

You very recently saved me a large sum of money, allowing me to spend some of it somewhere else.

GROGS FLY TOGETHER

:glomp:

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I'm really curious how FoG2 is going to handle battles from FoG:E involving army lists that the player doesn't actually own. But today's patch officially makes it possible to run the battles in FoG2, so I guess we'll see soon enough! Wonder if that works in the beta yet.

Who was in that, here....Grey Hunter, I think?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Yeah, but the version I had had that disabled.

Should be cool though!

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009

Squiggle posted:

I'm really curious how FoG2 is going to handle battles from FoG:E involving army lists that the player doesn't actually own. But today's patch officially makes it possible to run the battles in FoG2, so I guess we'll see soon enough! Wonder if that works in the beta yet.

Who was in that, here....Grey Hunter, I think?

I seem to recall seeing something somewhere that said that you need only the base game of FoG2 to play any battle in Empires, regardless of if you own the army lists in FoG2. But I've been reading about 20 articles on 8 different websites about the game in the last 48 hours, so completely forgot where I found that, or how credible the source was.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

just found out its physically impossible to invade india in rtw2 and now I'm distraught

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Stairmaster posted:

just found out its physically impossible to invade india in rtw2 and now I'm distraught

Never get involved in a land war in Asia.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I can invade all of china though!

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Been reading some 30 years war stuff so feel like trying my hand at PIke and Shot: Campaigns.

Worth getting? Or an alternative if it's not rated by people.

NB. I'll probably wait for the Steam sale when we're this close* anyway.

*25th June apparently.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Pike and Shot is great. Also check out Sengoku Jidai and Field of Glory 2 since they are all pretty much made by the same people and play pretty much the same way except for the weapons and tactics involved. I think it's interesting seeing all the different fighting styles and tactics evolve through history in those games. FoG2 goes all the way back to ancient Babylonians and Judeans and Egyptians and whatnot with the Rise of Persia DLC, and then there are mods for Pike and Shot that go from medieval battles like Bannockburn all the way up to the 19th century. All of those games are simple to play but you really need to have a good idea for tactics and positioning and a good feel for your army's strengths and weaknesses in order to win.

I also love those games because they are some of the few wargames where the AI in single player can actually be competent. I've been completely trounced by the AI in those games now and then. So many wargames have bad or nonexistent AI or are designed more toward multiplayer or whatever.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Wait, how often does FoG2 go on sale? I was going to wait until the summer sale but if they're not going to repeat it...

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
Between Steam/GOG/Fanatical, Slitherine's stuff is on sale somewhere every month or two.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Ivan Shitskin posted:

Pike and Shot is great. Also check out Sengoku Jidai and Field of Glory 2 since they are all pretty much made by the same people and play pretty much the same way except for the weapons and tactics involved. I think it's interesting seeing all the different fighting styles and tactics evolve through history in those games. FoG2 goes all the way back to ancient Babylonians and Judeans and Egyptians and whatnot with the Rise of Persia DLC, and then there are mods for Pike and Shot that go from medieval battles like Bannockburn all the way up to the 19th century. All of those games are simple to play but you really need to have a good idea for tactics and positioning and a good feel for your army's strengths and weaknesses in order to win.

I also love those games because they are some of the few wargames where the AI in single player can actually be competent. I've been completely trounced by the AI in those games now and then. So many wargames have bad or nonexistent AI or are designed more toward multiplayer or whatever.

Are there any decent Let's Plays/tutorial videos regarding these games. I have them all, but never know how I should or should not use the units I get, and then just get discouraged.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

Hippocrass posted:

Are there any decent Let's Plays/tutorial videos regarding these games. I have them all, but never know how I should or should not use the units I get, and then just get discouraged.

This is one of these games where you actually need to read the manual.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.
GROGNARDS!!!!!!!!:argh:

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Between Steam/GOG/Fanatical, Slitherine's stuff is on sale somewhere every month or two.

....and it turns out Pike and Shot is on sale on Humble this weekend.

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/pike-and-shot-campaigns

Kickass Harpsichord
Dec 3, 2009

Party In My Diapee posted:

This is one of these games where you actually need to read the manual.

Seconding this. One of the reasons I never got into FoG2 when I first got it was that I didn't understand why my guys were constantly losing some fights I expected them to win. At the beginning of my recent re-discovery of the game, I read the part of the manual that shows the table for melee and ranged Points of Advantage, which is how win percentages in combat are calculated. It can be daunting, but it helped me much more clearly understand the strengths and weaknesses of different troop types.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
If you are the type of person who needs to learn by doing however, i guess you could make sure to read the detailed description of charges and melees which will show you all the points of advantage and the win percentage for the current combat. Doing it this way i would expect to lose every time until you figure out the rock paper scissors system and you still won't know which unit types can block who or properly flank or what terrain to go for.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I just did the ingame tutorial and that seems to be ok?

I'm not that great at it it's true so maybe I should have read the manual but I wouldn't say it's required exactly.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Field of Glory 2 is really really fun, guys.

Great Battles of History is one of my favorite board game series, and this is almost a 1:1 recreation in video game form.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Hippocrass posted:

For FoG2, this channel is pretty good and has a couple of really detailed AARs as well as a beginner’s guide series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uSlTKYj3oI

There’s also this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEK7W1AfdzE

Understanding the ZOC rules can go a long way in these games, and it will be much easier to block flank attacks as well as setting up your own. I’m not sure about stuff for Pike and Shot and Sengoku Jidai but the basic rules for all those games are pretty much the same I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Are Close Combat 3 and 4 any good? I notice they're on GOG for $3 each and am tempted to pick em up unless they really suck, I've only ever played CC1, CC2, and the CC2 remake.