Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Kenshin posted:

Auri has a new favorite napping spot on her perch next to my computer (that she's been customizing for years making the ends of the wood sharp for use as a scratching post)

Yes, that branch is jammed up against her neck, under her feathers.

Auri's name comes from the book (and its sequels) The Name of the Wind because like her namesake, Auri was (and kinda still is, but not as much anymore) shy and withdrawn, quick to spook and not to be touched.

When I saw that picture and figured out she can scritch herself with the wood, I thought, "Clever Girl..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
if we get a caique, possible names are: Cassidy, or Jack (after Spring Heeled Jack).

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

GoldStandardConure posted:

if we get a caique, possible names are: Cassidy, or Jack (after Spring Heeled Jack).

Ooooh Jack fits so well with their personality.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

GoldStandardConure posted:

Here are some more bird names anyone can use:

Melon
Bobby
Willow
Madam
Caspian
Mint
Ruthie
Alma
Harold

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Captain Log posted:

You might be about to die by bird. I know that look.

Oh yeah, no way was I putting my hand anywhere near her while she was 'defending' a comfy nest site.

DrakIris
Oct 15, 2009
Beryl was named Beryl because I like gems and her colorrs made me think of emeralds and their relatives.

Jasper because I needed another gem name and Turquoise for a Turquoise was a bit tacky imo~

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
If I can evern manage to get a bird it's name'll probably be bird or baby given my history of what I've ended up calling my other pets. :v:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ritz came with his name, but we've been calling him Honker for the last 7.5 years so that's what he answers to / says repeatedly. Ritz is only his full name for when he's being scolded, he does not like it one bit.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Kitfox88 posted:

If I can evern manage to get a bird it's name'll probably be bird or baby given my history of what I've ended up calling my other pets. :v:

I have an aunt named Sarah, so my father never says Serra. I’m pretty sure Serra thinks her name is Buddy.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Captain Log posted:

Ooooh Jack fits so well with their personality.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Just had a big scare. My mom drove by the sweet, friendly, independent mom n pop bird store and called me to say they closed. I was bummed beyond belief for like a good half hour before Ms Cookies clarified "closed for renovations!"

After the fire last year that took the pet store I'd been going to since I was 6, I didn't need a scare like that. I still get pretty upset thinking about the animals that went in that fire. RIP Cheerio the grumpy african grey and Barbara Walters the super friendly cockatoo.

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

she is beauty

she is grace

terra how'd you get a whole pea on your face?

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/birbb/status/1134545828033507330?s=21

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
The head toss :swoon:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

https://twitter.com/skatebirb/status/1134562349308710912?s=19

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Oh. My. God. I need that.

Also, Serra recently got her calcium chew replaced with a yellow one, and has permanent yellow cheeto dust face. If I can get a picture that shows it, you folk will be the first to know.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IQ9NOa4LGw

I thought for sure touching a lovebird sitting on her eggs would result in an ANGERY BITE but nope, she trusts her human that much.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I got a picture of Serra with her Cheeto beak -

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Got to pet two greys while visiting Scout today. One of them, Lenny, is a semi-regular in the bird hospital lobby and has been more and more approachable every time we visit. Last visit he started letting me give him scritches, and tonight he barked like a dog and oinked like a pig to get our attention.

I haven't seen Scout since last weekend. I started a 4 on / 3 off out of town work schedule which will last into the fall. It's actually good to see her with a bit of a break, for me anyways, as I can see more improvement rather than when we go every other day and her observed improvement is incremental. My wife is still going to visit while I am away so she is still getting her allotted doses of love!

Last visit my wife reported that Scout was getting a bit cranky when touched, and from this visit I understand why. She is standing on her good leg a lot more, and using her bad leg as sort of a kickstand. This seems to be allowing a lot of the areas on her body where she's lost feathers through her surgeries or the attack to actually be able to produce pinfeathers that aren't destroyed by her crawling around on her belly. It looks like she's just sensitive to her new pins coming in. There's a bunch of what look to be solid tail feathers coming in, as well as bunch on her stomach.

Dr. MacDonald has started prepping her leg for the removal of the bandages, but we don't know how long that will take.

The light at the end of the tunnel is getting closer.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I'm so thrilled, Mikerock. I know this whole process has been emotionally and financially stressful, but your bird is pulling through like a champ.

He deserved a tiny "Bird Medal of Bravery."

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
:unsmith: I'm glad Scout's getting feisty and feeling better.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Captain Log posted:

I'm so thrilled, Mikerock. I know this whole process has been emotionally and financially stressful, but your bird is pulling through like a champ.

He deserved a tiny "Bird Medal of Bravery."

Oh this is good to hear that Scout is doing better. We should do one of those things with a medal on a plaque and hang it near her cage when she gets back :)

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

"The Official Avian Medal of Bravery
Gifted to Scout June 2019
Awarded by the Bird Crazies of SomethingAwful
For Enduring Scary Times while Being a Good Bird"

And tied to the front is just the biggest spray of millet, because birbs don't care about state or military decorations, much less goon decorations.

I'm so glad Scout is doing better, and although it's difficult, I'm glad you have a stable job.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I'm sure some of you have heard of this hysterical twitter account that's all from the perspective of a bird. I'd bet money it's a goon, but who knows.

https://twitter.com/probirdrights

I saw they had bumperstickers, and decided to order one for six bucks. I got a personalised postcard with a cartoon on the back (hidden for private information), a funny letter, and the best bumper sticker ever -

That, is how you make money with a twitter account, my friends.

Zalgo
Oct 21, 2009

He͔̻̖͕ ͕͈̺͕̜c̯̜͇̲o̜͖̦m͙es͔̞̬̗͙.̥
There are 4 birds in this photo. (I got a 4th tiel today)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zalgo posted:

There are 4 birds in this photo. (I got a 4th tiel today)

4th Tiel is a Sneaky Tiel in the far back behind the center and top Tiels.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Captain Log posted:

I'm sure some of you have heard of this hysterical twitter account that's all from the perspective of a bird. I'd bet money it's a goon, but who knows.

https://twitter.com/probirdrights

I saw they had bumperstickers, and decided to order one for six bucks. I got a personalised postcard with a cartoon on the back (hidden for private information), a funny letter, and the best bumper sticker ever -

That, is how you make money with a twitter account, my friends.

Love this account. I collect postcards so Mr. anachronism picked me up one too :)

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

subpar anachronism posted:

Love this account. I collect postcards so Mr. anachronism picked me up one too :)

The message and cartoon on the back of the postcard are great. I'll transcribe the message with exact spelling -

helo hi serra
ur pet
humant want
me 2 say
hi helo! do
u get lofs of
millot??
cuddlefish??
tell ur human
to keep up
loyaltee 2 birb

deliver to:
serra
the
cackertiel

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Great to hear about Scout's continued healing! The grouchy stage is good I think - she has to be feeling pretty normal to notice little irritations like itchy prickly quills, it's the times when they stay all quiet and unbothered by anything that are more worrying.
And wow to the probirbrights stuff - that's brilliant :D

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
I haven't made meringues in ages

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uABGkyknKmM

:cheers:

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I have never considered what a cockatoo looks like while sitting on eggs before and it is far cuter than I could ever imagine

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame

It looks like the angriest tea cozy ever. (And that would also explain any hissing, maybe?)

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

My dad drank gin and tonics. Of course, birds always thinking that whatever humans are drinking is way better than what they are drinking, our grey demanded a sip.

He only let it have one sip and Thunder just was nuts over it. Sneaking around shoulders to the other hand when he switched. Mission: Impossible'ing down the drapes (really badly) to try to get it from above. It was like ambrosia to this drat bird.

What happened to stop it is he went over to Thunder's cage, poured a dollop into the crystal clear water and hid the cup it came from. For all Thunder knew, the water dish was now full of magic go juice.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jun 3, 2019

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

I cannot stop looking at that picture and cackling like an old cat lady.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

that birb better watch himself or he'll end up like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCgd2kv2TSI

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

subpar anachronism posted:

I'm probably going to order a pink one of these in L. I can't stop laughing about "Birdie Sanders."

https://www.bonfire.com/probirdrights/

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
Serra the Cockatiel had her big cage deep cleaned today, and nearly gave me a heart attack when I emptied it out. She ripped off her vitamin block and shaped it like an egg, storing it next to the real, infertile eggs under her food dish. BIRD!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
My poor budgie just passed away in my hands.

He hit his head while flying. I'm an idiot. I let him fly around loose.

He was thrashing about on his back during his last throes, I tried to help him... To steady him... He suffered during his last moments... I brought him his bell and he sang faintly and then his body went stiff and his neck went limp.

I'm really shocked right now.