Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i guess in the end barkley 2 really was funnier than barkley 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

FunMerrania posted:

If the original guys got together and made their own Barkley 2, which one would be more canon?

Yes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think the Barkley 2 devs are like dogs and they just sort of do things arbitrarily

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
don't listen to this guy...he's the one who backed at the $1000 tier...thats all

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

MagurEnch posted:

He did writing for Katana Zero

I thought you were kidding but it's legit. I can definitely see his influence in some parts.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Endorph posted:

I think the Barkley 2 devs are like dogs and they just sort of do things arbitrarily

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
https://twitter.com/TalesOfGames/status/1135294036078727168

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

really? doesn't seem right.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
to me, the biggest issue is it not coming out

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
I really feel bad for Frankie. I watched some of his live streams as he was making over a thousand guns's'. All that hard work for nothing.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Sometimes, the journey of making 1000 guns sprites is more important than the destination.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

So I guess my joke about them abandoning the game years ago, and nobody telling Frankie while he makes a thousand sprites was true.

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard
I still believe

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

Glad to see this is still being worked on. Excited to finally play this one day.

1982 Subaru Brat
Feb 2, 2007

by Athanatos
Seeing how many unread posts this thread got in one day felt like getting a 5 AM phone call

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I would like a refund for the $10 I contributed to this project seven years ago please

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

romanowski posted:

I would like a refund for the $10 I contributed to this project seven years ago please

Adjusted for inflation

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bullying and shaming devs brought City of Heroes back, and by God it can save Barkley 2.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Endorph posted:

Lol at this and at this whole dang mess

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard
I should never have proposed adding a Gyrojet pistol to the game's guns. This is all my fault.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I've watched a couple of game maker tutorials on youtube so I think I can probably finish the game for you guys if you want

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

(Mournfully, yet wisely) Barckley.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Sleeveless posted:

They are right now at this moment letting people pay money for a project that does not exist, has made no real effort towards existing for years now, and which they have actively worked to obfuscate the fact that it will not ever exist. That's pretty much the definition of a scam.

Just because someone made a game you liked 11 years ago doesn't mean that they're a good person or that you have to defend them. Especially when they weren't the people who by and large actually did do all the skilled labor for free.

A scam would involve someone, somewhere, making money off of this. If this is a scam it is maybe the least successful one I've ever heard of.

FunMerrania
Mar 3, 2013

Blast Processing
https://twitter.com/lazeruslong/status/1135297856515059713

https://twitter.com/lazeruslong/status/1135302152182743048

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

oh god what is going on now everything lurched to life

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
This is actually just Barkley 2 breaking the media embargo. It comes out next week.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
For real can we get a dump of the most complete build

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Endorph posted:

i guess in the end barkley 2 really was funnier than barkley 1

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

GUI posted:

I thought you were kidding but it's legit. I can definitely see his influence in some parts.

I also thought this was just B akely humour but now i'm second guessing again..........

He wrote the receptionist right

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

America has fallen

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
unironically happy for this closure

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
me: ah, finally some closure on this weird dumb project

bhroom: have you considered not having closure actually??

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

more like bathroom

Boner Machine
Nov 4, 2007

FruitPunchSamurai posted:

It seems pretty clear from hiratio's post that at some point after the original team had run out of money they had to re-examine their priorities. Making a game takes many hours of hard work. Free time that would otherwise be spent with friends, family, and other things would have to be given up. I don't blame anyone for not wanting to make that kind of sacrifice. I'm sure it was a hard decision to make.
I wouldn't blame them for not wanting to make that kind of sacrifice but it seems pretty fair to blame at least SOMEONE for making the stupid decisions that put them in that spot in the first place.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Reminds me of how that which sleeps would crank out a "gameplay" video every six months for awhile before finally ethering for real

Gwrrrk
Jun 27, 2013
I would like to offer my condolences to the family of chuck borfly. i am sorry for their loss

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Good to finally hear some news about this even if its bad.

Thanks Hiratio.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Hentai Jihadist posted:

two of the artists hosed his girlfriend.

At the same time?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Breaking character temporarily in order to share some sincere thoughts; sorry. Although it's disappointing to learn that I'll never get to read all of Pump's DWARFNet posts, I'm glad that someone came forward to talk about what's been going on. Recently I've been thinking about how game developers - or software developers in general, really - can foster a healthier and more receptive community by being open and communicative about the development process. Kind, patient, and forgiving responses from eager fans - as opposed to toxic and entitled ones - are surprisingly common if you're open about the difficulties involved in bringing the project to fruition. Let people see you're just doing your best to accomplish something difficulty with finite resources and they'll understand. Eventually, whether you succeed, fail, or even just release something unfinished, you'll be in a position to handle it in the way that's best for everyone, without being paralyzed by guilt or fearing that you'll just be seen as making excuses. You want to get it finished at least as much as anybody watching, after all!