Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

tooterfish posted:

I'm not 100% sure what triggers it. If it's fire damage then blazing should do the trick, explosive is smashing damage though so it might not.

Oil Slick is ignited by fire and energy damage, iirc. A good source of that is the cheap-o origin powers you get at level 1 if you're magic (a magic charm) or tech (a short ranged tazer line). It won't take much damage at all to light them up.

Glazius posted:

Can't bring incarnates, Dr. Q is 44 so they don't have Incarnate powers.

One of the things they changed in i24 was upping the level cap on Dr. Q to 45, so you should still have incarnate powers. Unless they rolled that back, in which case they're MONSTERS.

One of the Incarnate Destiny powers is a group teleport, even!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

Glazius posted:

Can't bring incarnates, Dr. Q is 44 so they don't have Incarnate powers.

should it got changed to 45+

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Any epic/patron pool suggestions for a fire/rad corruptor?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

How are tankers for soloing? I made a kickass mace/shield tanker but I'm worried things will take too long to die.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Real silly question. With the intended goal of murdering ghosts real loving good? Both spooky and Arachnos butt cape ninjas. Any thoughts for the most convenient post combo for Leveling+Exemplar "Too lazy to think about set bonus".

I dimly remember a fire/devices blaster feeling cathartic there via targeting computer assisted BBQ even as my friends were complaining about dark and smoke bomb debuffs.

That said, I'm pretty sure I used one of the like, only three or so fancy IO's I ever touched. Cramming a stealth unique into super speed so I had bootleg PvE stealth strong enough to place landmines on the feet of enemies (to cheap out on skipping cloaking device).

clone on the phone posted:

How are tankers for soloing? I made a kickass mace/shield tanker but I'm worried things will take too long to die.
I've been digging through my notes about my old filthy casual "What are set bonuses?" Elec/Elec tanker. I'm sure other things would kill faster than it (or, you know, a BRUTE elec/elec). But elec armor being the front loaded power set meant me learning to adore slam picking Energize ASAP when I was soloing with them. "Why am I always nearly full on inspirations? I haven't even started buying enhancements yet-oh yeah." Then being thankful for access to lightning reflexes before 20.

Sadly, enemies taking too long to die solo is very much A Thing I Remember until the mid 30s. But it was the first Tank I took to and through incarnate content, so I'm clearly biased.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 2, 2019

head58
Apr 1, 2013

How exactly does the LFG queue work from the perspective of the person starting a group? Do they get to choose who from the queue they bring into their team or is it random?

I ask because I had my new character The Spess Mehreen in the queue for DFB the other day and got brought into a group that had three other Space Marine-themed characters in it. I知 pretty sure those 3 were a pre-established group but I知 wondering if they grabbed me to fill the group out for the lols or if it was pure coincidence, which is almost beyond belief.

Either way, it was hilarious.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Things will take a while to die. Go brute if you want to solo and be tanky. Or just don't solo.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008

head58 posted:

How exactly does the LFG queue work from the perspective of the person starting a group? Do they get to choose who from the queue they bring into their team or is it random?

I ask because I had my new character The Spess Mehreen in the queue for DFB the other day and got brought into a group that had three other Space Marine-themed characters in it. I知 pretty sure those 3 were a pre-established group but I知 wondering if they grabbed me to fill the group out for the lols or if it was pure coincidence, which is almost beyond belief.

Either way, it was hilarious.

Pure coincidence, and that's amazing enough that you should have gotten screenshots or something. Maybe next time!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I wish you could take a weapon/ fighting style and have it not really affect your AT class choices

I'd like to make a character that has a gun or knows how to fight, but isn't defined by these things

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Shield helps a fair bit with this but it'll still be slower than a brute. Not unbearable though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Martian Girl from Planet V, won't you marry me?

She's lookin' hungry, think she's gonna eat me!

Savage/Bio Brute is CRAZY good.

I snagged Powdered Milk Man but don't know what to do with it.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

So, Brute vs. Scrapper: which do you prefer and why?

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Harrow posted:

I prefer Brute because of the higher defenses and I tend to chain pull instances so I can generally sustain a high rage which averages out to more damage than the scrapper.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

S.D. posted:

Pure coincidence, and that's amazing enough that you should have gotten screenshots or something. Maybe next time!

I did get one shot, unfortunately the ui was off.

From left: Gabriel Angelos, The Ultramarine, Rogal Dorn. I知 the doofus with his back to the camera.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Fashion Zombie

Must have been born this way!

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Inzombiac posted:

Fashion Zombie

Must have been born died this way!

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Inzombiac posted:

Fashion Zombie

Must have been born this way!

Fresh to death!

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

While Dr. Q did get its max level bumped to 45 specifically so Incarnate powers work on it, it's still a slog. In theory you can stealth the missions that aren't kill-alls, but the eyeball monster Rularuu get bonus perception. Which can punch right through most stealth. I'm not sure if a full on Stalker can slide by or not, though.

I will admit that "let's just stealth everything" is an attitude that normally annoys me (I signed up for City of Heroes, not Metal Gear Online, let me hit things), but fuuuuuuuuuck Dr. Q.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Inzombiac posted:

Martian Girl from Planet V, won't you marry me?

She's lookin' hungry, think she's gonna eat me!

Savage/Bio Brute is CRAZY good.

I snagged Powdered Milk Man but don't know what to do with it.

Woah woah, woah woah woah.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Did the Homecoming server make it so that going Rogue/Vigilante was fine from a gameplay perspective? Or are those still more just stepping stones to hero/villain?

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Harrow posted:

Ime the decision tree for this is "do I want this character to be expected to tank? Yes brute no scrapper"

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

HPanda posted:

Did the Homecoming server make it so that going Rogue/Vigilante was fine from a gameplay perspective? Or are those still more just stepping stones to hero/villain?

other than the alignment powers for rogue/vigilante being worse than villain/hero, there isn't any reason to be a straight hero or villain anymore on homecoming because hero/villain merits don't exist

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Be the alignment you feel in your heart.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I've fully embraced if I get a character to high level it will be hilariously under powered because aesthetics, theme, and role play matter far more than any number crunching.

Not that I will ever get fifty, because I got this idea for a new hero and...

Edit: not accusing anyone in here of naysaying anyone doing that, my post sounded kinda of hostile

World Famous W fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Jun 2, 2019

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Latest Beta info:

THIS IS WHY WE BETA
Another day, another patch! Feedback has been passed along, and the most agreed-upon bits have been implemented in this patch. Other ideas are being considered, but were not ready yet. Keep the feedback coming, and remember that this is a beta. The whole point is to gather feedback, and more importantly, feedback based on testing. A lot of the loudest complaints yesterday came from accounts that didn't log in to Justin at all; gut feelings are nowhere near as valuable as playtesting fedback.

Several changes to Devices are implemented on this patch; they were not planned to be tested this soon, as they were part of a different branch, but since there is a general concern is that Devices is getting the short end of the stick with the Snipe changes, they're being merged now.

:siren: Patron power pools are now unlocked at character creation. :siren:

INVENTIONS

Thanks to Banana Man and Dan Petro, the new set Experienced Marksman is getting modified significantly.

Old version, five-slotted: 47.7% accuracy, 116.6% damage, 47.7% endredux, 25.6% range and 42.4% recharge.
New version, five-slotted: 47.7% accuracy, 92.8% damage, 42.4% endredux, 12.8% range, 66.3% recharge and 51% interrupt time.

The Fast Snipe enhancement now has a Range component; this means that if you six-slot the set, the 51% interrupt time becomes meaningless, but the Range is boosted to 25.6%.

The set bonuses have also been changed a bit. The +Health and +Accuracy bonuses have been bumped a tier, and the last two PVP bonuses (recharge and recovery) have been switched around.

POWERS

All snipes, regardless speed, will again have maximum range. This means 150ft feet for most snipes, 175ft for Psionic snipes.

The "engaged" flag that drives fast snipe now requires 10 seconds without attacking or being attacked, down from 15 seconds.

Blaster Devices:
Changed Web Grenade to Toxic Web Grenade, now deals scale 1 toxic DoT and can be slotted for damage

Taser recharge reduced from 20 to 10 seconds, duration reduced from scale 10 to scale 5, damage increased from 0.25 to 1.96 (same damage as Energy Punch)

Time Bomb animation is now 2.77 seconds, interrupt time removed, countdown reduced to 5 seconds, defiance values reduced to match (this only applies to this set, not to the Traps support set versions.)

Targeting Drone now also adds a 30% recharge buff.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Holy poo poo that rules!

hit button
Mar 18, 2012

Kheldarn posted:

:siren: Patron power pools are now unlocked at character creation. :siren:

I presume that's a change specifically for the test server for ease of testing, rather than something they intend to implement on the main servers.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Crasical posted:

A lot of the people who are complaining are just going "I've INVESTED to get insta-snipe, and this is punishing ME by changing how it works", which, yeah, I can see their complaints, but on the other hand, I am hearing a lot of unspoken "I've INVESTED, and these other people didn't, so they don't DESERVE IT" between the lines.

It's not like having a bunch of To-Hit baked into your build is worthless outside of accessing insta-snipes, either. Also those same people can go ahead and invest in the new Sniper IO set to get their insta-snipe back if they care that much about it.

LOL @ people still having meltdowns over nerfs (actually not even nerfs in this case, they're largely lateral changes).

Roach Warehouse posted:

I don't know if it's latency from terrible Australian internet or just how the game works, but every time I try to play an archery or TA character, all their animations are them holding the arrow for a second, before awkwardly hucking it at the target.

Archery animations (I think the No Redraw ones especially) are a bit borked. I think they were supposed to be fixed in a recent patch but at this point I can't remember what's live vs. beta.

Section Z posted:

That said, I'm pretty sure I used one of the like, only three or so fancy IO's I ever touched. Cramming a stealth unique into super speed so I had bootleg PvE stealth strong enough to place landmines on the feet of enemies (to cheap out on skipping cloaking device).

Technically wasn't necessary since Smoke Grenade + the weak stealth in SS by itself would do the job.

Harrow posted:

At this point I try to go full method with it and the choice boils down to whether or not the character would have the highs and lows of Fury, would otherwise be fueled by anger, or are meant to be generally "tanky but can rip your arms off" Hulk-y. Forex, one of my characters is a train, so going Brute is extremely thematic (Titan Weapons too, natch). Meanwhile my Scrappers tend to be more generic fighters. None of this is at all relevant if you're not a roleplayer though. :v:

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

hit button posted:

I presume that's a change specifically for the test server for ease of testing, rather than something they intend to implement on the main servers.

You can just grant yourself a patron badge on their beta servers. Seems pretty intended to me.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Levelling is tiresome. You don't feel like much of anything till about 20-odd. Dealing with Enhancements is a pain; Inventions even more so. It's telling that advice given here was 'don't bother with anything till Inventions, and only them past 30'.

I dunno. I truly don't. I vaguely want to work my characters up(Brutes, a Tanker, Masterminds, a Sentinel), but it's all just DULL. The Praetorians I have are more interesting, mind you. The story there is interesting.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 2, 2019

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I agree, I feel like I'm just running the same missions over and over. It takes something like 10 missions to level up now!

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
I honestly would have preferred it if they had just turned off experience gain in DFB past lvl 25. I've done all the other content before that level multiple times, so I'd rather just get to the point where the powersets really start to shine and fill in whatever else with Ouroboros later.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

do tfs

if you do posi 1, posi 2, and synapse and you aren't at least level 20 (particularly with the xp boosts turned on) you're doing something wrong

on the other hand, feeling obligated to do synapse is bad and there should probably be a solution that doesn't involve synapse

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Jazerus posted:

do tfs

if you do posi 1, posi 2, and synapse and you aren't at least level 20 (particularly with the xp boosts turned on) you're doing something wrong

on the other hand, feeling obligated to do synapse is bad and there should probably be a solution that doesn't involve synapse

Seriously yeah. Running Synapse is about as much fun as sticking my ding-dong into a blender. They need to either shorten it or provide an alternate way of getting it.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Jazerus posted:

other than the alignment powers for rogue/vigilante being worse than villain/hero, there isn't any reason to be a straight hero or villain anymore on homecoming because hero/villain merits don't exist

How does this whole system work anyway? If I sit at rogue/vigilante does that mean I知 free to team up with people from either side? Because that would be cool.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
That's exactly it. The only downside is you have to suffer through a pointless "watch out, you're moving over to hero/villain side!!! :ohdear:" pop-up before it'll let you move along. Also a lot of the connections for moving between sides are laid out annoyingly.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Jazerus posted:

do tfs

The task forces just mean I need to be able to set aside at least enough time to do them. DFB is pretty much always recruiting and the runs are so short.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Gynovore posted:

Seriously yeah. Running Synapse is about as much fun as sticking my ding-dong into a blender. They need to either shorten it or provide an alternate way of getting it.

i'd love to see an overall redesign of some of the oldest content along the same lines as the posi tf revamp

there is no reason synapse needs to be a 100% clockwork 2 hour tf. particularly when posi is already pretty clockwork-heavy. give me some hellions or outcasts or something geez

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The idea that anyone can stand to blow up the same exact scripted spawns over and over with half of their fun powers turned off instead of doing literally anything else boggles the mind.

I know I've bitched about DFB a lot for various reasons but even newspaper missions at least have randomized spawns instead of the exact same enemies standing in the exact same spots every single time. They're not even randomized within the ranks, it's always Lost swordsmen, never gunners, etc.

Jazerus posted:

i'd love to see an overall redesign of some of the oldest content along the same lines as the posi tf revamp

there is no reason synapse needs to be a 100% clockwork 2 hour tf. particularly when posi is already pretty clockwork-heavy. give me some hellions or outcasts or something geez

I mean, the whole point of Posi was always that the three groups were each making a play on the Faultline dam just like the whole point of Synapse was finally dealing with the Clockwork King. I'm sure there are ways to sneak some enemy group variety in, but it's never not going to be punching Clockwork for an hour+.

The problem is that Clockwork are one of the earliest enemy groups designed and have never been tweaked at all to my recollection. Beyond a few minor wrinkles (Tesla Cage, summoned minions, flying units) they don't really do anything interesting. Each unit is just some variation of ranged elec blast/elec punch/one of the aforementioned gimmicks. Frankly the whole electricity thing doesn't even fit their design (y'know, clockwork machines?) or their actual origins (psychic stuff).

Synapse then makes it worse by employing a common trick - padding out the runtime by having you check multiple of the same type of thing. Originally you had to check four electrical substations, which was graciously cut down to only three at one point. Yeah.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 3, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

The idea that anyone can stand to blow up the same exact scripted spawns over and over with half of their fun powers turned off instead of doing literally anything else boggles the mind.

I know I've bitched about DFB a lot for various reasons but even newspaper missions at least have randomized spawns instead of the exact same enemies standing in the exact same spots every single time. They're not even randomized within the ranks, it's always Lost swordsmen, never gunners, etc.

It's not so much because it's fun, but because it's a sort of fun amplifier. I can run the same content I've run many times before for hours, or I can do it for one hour. Then I can play the content that I find actually fun.

I should note here that my first time playing an archetype, I'll take them through the usual content just to get a feel for them. But there's not enough difference between, say, a Thugs MM and a Robotics MM in those first 20 levels that I need the extra practice.