Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So he's a cat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Should I stick it out with DGS? Case 1 didn't really land with me and I glimpsed into case 2's intro and I'm maybe interested but I'm ambivalent still?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I can't imagine not playing an ace attorney game of any kind under any circumstances

But DGS is great, keep playing.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Merilan posted:

Should I stick it out with DGS? Case 1 didn't really land with me and I glimpsed into case 2's intro and I'm maybe interested but I'm ambivalent still?

Case 1 is notably Long. Probably because of a thing you will notice in Case 2.

Case 3 for me though is where the game takes off.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Part of me is disappointed that Guy Eldoon is not Guy Regrub.

E: OH gently caress I FORGOT THE drat PANTIES

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jun 3, 2019

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Waffleman_ posted:

Part of me is disappointed that Guy Eldoon is not Guy Regrub.

actually i have it on good authority it was a burger stand in japanese

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I love the sad rendition of Dhurke’s theme so much

E: lmao I forgot that Apollo told Dhurke about his career up to that point

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jun 3, 2019

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

quote:

the phrase "Hey, Shizuya Rei" ("kora Shizuya Rei") intentionally sounds similar to the phrase "I'm gonna kill you" ("koroshite yaru")

How do they sound similar at all

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They sound as similar as you're a goner and Hugh O'Connor

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Obvs they should have just named him Gunnar Kilya for the localization.

It's a bit weird to me that the guy thinks the localized versions of Apollo and Trucy sound similar to Nick and Maya. I've always thought those two had their own voice, Apollo especially.

Also lol @ thinking they made Blackquill a weeb by accident.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Honestly, "Panties?! AGAIN?!" is one of my favourite bits of the entire series for sheer laugh-out-loud bits.

I did also like if you show them to Trucy for investigation day 2, she starts laughing and says "That was hilarious, you swinging those panties above your head while screaming Objection!" and Apollo replies with "Trucy, please do me a massive favour. Put that memory into a safe little space at the back of your mind and never recall it ever again."

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Also lol @ thinking they made Blackquill a weeb by accident.

Speaking as a British weeb, I felt very called out.

On the plus side Case 6-4 at least meant that I finally looked up Jugemu Jugemu and realised where I'd originally heard that name, albeit as a reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGM375qYhN0

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

DGS case 2 definitely helps turn it around (hur) a lot for me, compared to case 1. Holmes is hilarious and the Reasoning sequence is extremely fancy, especially as Naruhodou gets into it and gets teased for it by Susato

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

doublepost but it's been days but DGS case 3 holy crap I love how incredibly extra about everything barok van zieks is. how do you start at just "literally being count dracula" and then get progressively sillier with each new animation and then wowww the twist of "screw it if I don't have evidence I'm gonna torch you in the carriage you rigged lmao"

Dad Jokes
May 25, 2011

I love that they started running out of unique ways people can slam desks, so Barok's animation is just straight up kicking it

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Finally playing AA6 DLC case and Maya mentioned how it's just like old times and namedrops Gumshoe and I'm sad he's not in this DLC.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I have opinions on Gumshoe’s absence in that case, which are that they really chose the worst of both worlds when they made Ema’s findings in that case sloppy and half-assed, when it was a point up till then that she was by far the most competent detective in the series.

Also, does someone have a link to that guide on buying DGS from the Japanese Eshop, and is there a way to copy a legally acquired version of the game onto an emulator and patching it there? I want to play the game, but I really don’t want to jailbreak my 1st edition 3DS which is very much on its last legs.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If you have a PC capable of emulating 3DS you can emulate android instead for a much better and simpler experience.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just beat the trilogy again for the first time in forever. I liked Godot a ton. He sucks, but in a cool way. As opposed to Diego, who just kind of sucks.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

4-3 is definitely on the lowest tier of cases across the entire franchise, IMO. You know that there’s a problem when even the cast is pointing out how sketchy the baseline premise is.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

But 4-3 has good character interactions going on, with a lot of quality Ema time. I guess that's not as important to some people but I highly value that in this series. Of course ideally the mystery would also be good.

Now, see, 2-3 has mostly annoying characters, and lacks an interesting story or a good mystery. That's when it's bad. (I kinda like Moe though)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
lovely as the premise of 4-3 and the video are I actually really like most of the characters involved with it, i cannot say the same for 2-3 or 5-3

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Regalingualius posted:

4-3 is definitely on the lowest tier of cases across the entire franchise, IMO. You know that there’s a problem when even the cast is pointing out how sketchy the baseline premise is.

That's kind of the point though. It's supposed to illustrate how corrupt the legal system has become. Apparently no one is batting an eye at a blind foreign 14 year old being arrested for murdering a 6'5" Interpol agent.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

If that is the point it's communicated rather poorly (and it's not the only issue with that case)

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Oh it definitely was communicated poorly. I believe the director even said he wished he could have made it more obvious that Daryan was pulling the strings behind the scenes to rush the case along.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
4-3 had some really nice character moments in its investigation sections, introduced Valant Gramarye, and had the scene in Klavier's office which is the only scene where he comes off as a competent, fair-minded law enforcement official.

Shame about the trial segments though.

saladscooper
Jan 25, 2019

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019
Eh, one thing I appreciate about 4-3 is that despite the shakiness of Klavier's case against you, it always feels like an uphill battle in a way that no other case really does. You don't really make any headway in it until the end of the first day in court, and even then it's only because Lamiroir recognizes Daryan's voice just in the nick of time. Klavier and Apollo are really battling in 4-3, which gives it a unique flavor - in other cases, no matter how hopeless things seem you know you're probably going to win in the end. In 4-3? There are points when I genuinely wondered "how in hell are they going to get out of this?"

...AJ is my favorite game in the series, so I may be a little biased.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Crossing my fingers that Nintendo announces two new compilations for Switch at E3 - the second AA trilogy and the DGS duology.

Who am I kidding it'll be 20 minutes of Animal Crossing and 10 minutes of Mario Maker 2.

busysignal
Nov 28, 2013
Well all Capcom had announced is that they're doing Monster Hunter and exhibition matches for SF5 so don't get too hopeful for anything from them.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

(DGS Case 4) I'm finding the Closing Argument mechanic to be kind of pace-breaking; the first time it showed up was a real surprise because your current argument suddenly just got cut out by everyone voting guilty and that was cool, but after seeing the third time it gets wheeled out there's no sense of surprise anymore because the only way it's triggered is when the jury is unanimous. The "jump" from the current cross-examination to the judicial findings feels clumsy at times.

busysignal
Nov 28, 2013
The mechanic itself just serves to add more tension in an already sticky situation. The problem is, and this applies to the whole franchise, is that you're rarely as worried as the protagonist is. Without much consequence, it all feels silly.

That said, that particular mechanic is neat because of the jury members and who's on it, makes for some funny moments. I also just like seeing the dude pace. It's animated so well.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

i feel like naruhodou would be so much happier if he just became holmes' permanent dance partner in his theatre of reason and logic, he's so at ease and comfy with him. court stresses him out and makes him shifty-eyed!! i guess asougi is the love of his life tho

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I'm replaying AA1 again and I have to say that of all the games I still think it's the best-made of the series, even if I love the others.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah, this thread convinced me to get the remastered trilogy for switch, and I started out holding fast forward on all the dialogue, but by the end of the second case I was reading everything again. It's just good!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I also appreciate not having to deal with magatamas, bracelets or mood matrices. I know they made later games less repetitive but frankly I enjoyed not knowing if I could trust the client or having to break through people's barriers the hard way.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Well, I finally finished DGS. (full game impressions) When DGS hits high, it really hits high. Case 3 and 5 are especially strong in particular for subverting a lot of the things you've come to expect from Ace Attorney, and it's great how the actual repercussion of defending someone guilty becomes an arc Naruhodou has to go through. I loved Susato having an agenda of her own, I really enjoyed how close everyone got with Holmes and Iris by the end too. :allears:

The twist of having the detective be pulling a deal in the middle of your trial is also great, and it's a really strong use of multiple witnesses and the Tinpillar Men are also hilarious.

But it really did swing low as well, because while I loved the investigation part of Case 4 and Souseki himself, the trial was easily the weakest part of the game because the mystery was just completely... bleh. Naruhodou wasn't ever really making compelling arguments because the truth wasn't even all that compelling in the first place.

Still, I really understand it when people say they'd rather wait for game 2 to be translated - it ends on basically a Metal Gear "Yes, Mr. President" stinger and while there's some closure you're definitely pulling your hair out a bit going "but what does it mean???"

ed: also Holmes and Naruhodou are super cute together :allears:

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Merilan posted:

But it really did swing low as well, because while I loved the investigation part of Case 4 and Souseki himself, the trial was easily the weakest part of the game because the mystery was just completely... bleh. Naruhodou wasn't ever really making compelling arguments because the truth wasn't even all that compelling in the first place.
I've seen this opinion be relatively popular and I don't understand it. Case 4 has the best trial I've seen in this franchise for a while. The stakes are tiny (for once!), the whole thing is a series of extremely unfortunate coincidences that you slowly untangle as you go, the O'Malleys are delightful, lessons are learned and everyone involved gets a pretty happy ending out of it. What's not to like?

By comparison I found Case 5's trial to be merely good. Guess we just look for very different things in this series.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I agree that it's bad. (DGS case 4) The Garridebs, the O'Malleys, Natsume and the victim are all basically unrelated to each other (the Garridebs are Natsume's landlords but that doesn't matter at all for the case). There's no hidden motivations or relationships to uncover - just an implausible sequence of coincidences with nothing connecting them. Uncovering why the O'Malleys lied was fine, but the actual "culprit" didn't intend to commit the crime and wasn't even aware that they had done so. So you don't get the satisfaction of unravelling someone's scheme and cornering them, you just see this possibility during the investigation of the case and groan when it's revealed to be the actual solution of the case. It's like if "Edgeworth threw the gun and accidentally killed his father" was the end of Turnabout Goodbyes.

(DGS case 5) The actual murder in case 5 becomes frustratingly obvious fairly early but in a way it wasn't really the focus of the case. The case does a lot of other interesting things with the accomplice witnesses and the deal happening during a testimony so I still like it.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Amppelix posted:

I've seen this opinion be relatively popular and I don't understand it. Case 4 has the best trial I've seen in this franchise for a while. The stakes are tiny (for once!), the whole thing is a series of extremely unfortunate coincidences that you slowly untangle as you go, the O'Malleys are delightful, lessons are learned and everyone involved gets a pretty happy ending out of it. What's not to like?

By comparison I found Case 5's trial to be merely good. Guess we just look for very different things in this series.

Tbh I love tiny stakes, (SoJ) I was really into arguing vs Phoenix in the civil case because it felt like you're actually applying the basic Ace Attorney gameplay to a non-murder mystery for once. But like I mention it's just... the trial part was just done real weakly in my opinion, it took a long time until Naruhodou was even arguing something that didn't feel like grasping and I guess I found the O'Malleys really annoying rather than delightful because their testimony is super long.

I think it's that I love a good mystery and there wasn't much to sink your teeth in this time.

Also poor Viridian still got stabbed :(

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Regarding DGS chapter 4, DGS2 not-too-significant-but-still-definitely-spoilers:

There’s more to this chapter’s story, but the rest of it got pushed to the second game. Those two random characters that are never seen again are there for a reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

How does the trilogy play out on the Switch? It’s on sale so I might buy it