Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Binary Badger posted:

Avoid USB3 hubs as Thunderbolt ops are offloaded to a separate processor whereas the USB3 ops will suck CPU cycles.

Also avoid OWC TB hubs as they fall apart after a few months.

Which TB hub is best?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The one Proteus Jones mentions, the CalDigit TB3 Plus is the best, most reliable in my experience. After that the Kensington, Belkin ones.

Glyph, a brand who I know a lot of production people use, just came out with a TB dock that includes an NVMe slot you can stick an M.2 into that provides dedicated disk space that will transfer at 1500 MB/sec to the laptop..

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Binary Badger posted:

Boy, the last few days before a WWDC keynote are excruciating. If Apple doesn't at least give us a preview of the new Mac Pro there's going to be a lot of pissed people who are finally going to throw up their arms and make the HP and Dell workstation market a fuckton richer.

My late 2013 rMBP is finally making GBS threads itself and Monday is my last hope with Tim Apple

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

The one Proteus Jones mentions, the CalDigit TB3 Plus is the best, most reliable in my experience. After that the Kensington, Belkin ones.

Just one caveat for that one. It does *not* have HDMI. You can only hook into a monitor via TB3 (TB/TB2 with an adaptor) or DisplayPort.

Mine hooks into an LG 34UM88C-P via DisplayPort. I also send audio over that connection as well (that monitor has really good speakers)

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

Binary Badger posted:

Upgrading an existing system or starting fresh?

Did you have to do the long press on the power button until the LED flash? And did the optical drive eject and then close? If it didn't then the firmware didn't flash.

Starting fresh. The firmware was upgraded successfully. I managed to get Sierra to install, but now the App Store is throwing errors when I try to upgrade to HS that way:

e: OK, I seemed to have fixed that by signing in to my App Store account.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 2, 2019

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

enojy posted:

I'm ever-so-slightly expecting a "HomePod mini" that doubles as a cheaper, less impressive speaker, and a mesh router solution. Combining a Bluetooth speaker with a wifi extender sounds like a lovely idea, though. Don't they operate around the same band spectrum?
Not a problem cause HomePods don’t even have Bluetooth audio :v:

I’m wondering if/when they’ll come out with a new Beats Pill to essentially be a portable HomePod (built in Siri, streaming, etc).

eames
May 9, 2009

Lazyhound posted:

Starting fresh. The firmware was upgraded successfully. I managed to get Sierra to install, but now the App Store is throwing errors when I try to upgrade to HS that way:

e: OK, I seemed to have fixed that by signing in to my App Store account.

I too am hoping for some AMD-Action tomorrow

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Binary Badger posted:

Boy, the last few days before a WWDC keynote are excruciating. If Apple doesn't at least give us a preview of the new Mac Pro there's going to be a lot of pissed people who are finally going to throw up their arms and make the HP and Dell workstation market a fuckton richer.

This poo poo happens every year. 'Pro' users piss and moan and continually threaten to go buy a Dell, like a neckbeard threatening Microsoft to switch to Linux.

At this point I think they just fetishize victimhood instead of buying whatever system they need for 'pro' work, and every product announcement becomes a poo poo-flinging about how Apple 'abandoned their users'

e: can't wait for the salty comments on MacRumors when Tim Apple comes on stage and says WWDC will be focused on software

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
I'm as interested to see what Apple puts out as anyone else, but 'pro' users have to be the most obnoxious consumer base

You never hear people go "I bought a Dell a few years back to replace my Mac Pro since the upgrade schedule was slower than I wanted, but I'm excited to see if Apple is releasing something new for the Pro market when I upgrade"

It's always "A$$LE HATES its PRO USERS and if they don't release new PRO hardware for another six or seven years, I'm definitely buying a DELL and DELETING MY MACRUMORS ACCOUNT"

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

PRADA SLUT posted:

I'm as interested to see what Apple puts out as anyone else, but 'pro' users have to be the most obnoxious consumer base

You never hear people go "I bought a Dell a few years back to replace my Mac Pro since the upgrade schedule was slower than I wanted, but I'm excited to see if Apple is releasing something new for the Pro market when I upgrade"

It's always "A$$LE HATES its PRO USERS and if they don't release new PRO hardware for another six or seven years, I'm definitely buying a DELL and DELETING MY MACRUMORS ACCOUNT"

die a hero, or live long enough to become micro$oft

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender

Please tell me people don't actually type this.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

PRADA SLUT posted:

Weird how the hackintosh scene kicked into high gear after the trash cans

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

magiccarpet posted:

Weird how the hackintosh scene kicked into high gear after the trash cans

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=hackintosh

Weird how the 'high gear' was a tiny initial blip and then dissolved, leaving people still pissing and moaning year-over-year about the same thing

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

I'm actually sensibly chuckling at anyone buying a Mac desktop in tyool 2019. Mac OS isn't THAT great, and almost any pro-level software almost certainly has a Windows version, too. You just have to spend outrageous amounts of money for a Mac desktop and for what...design of the tower? If you're really a pro user why do you even care?

Laptops are a different story, since the hardware is much more tightly integrated with the day to day experience.

But like, are people seriously buying $20k Mac desktops to run iPhoto? You know Lightroom runs on Windows now, right?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Because Windows sucks poo poo and I refuse to beta test Microsoft's awful OS

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

forbidden dialectics posted:

I'm actually sensibly chuckling at anyone buying a Mac desktop in tyool 2019. Mac OS isn't THAT great, and almost any pro-level software almost certainly has a Windows version, too. You just have to spend outrageous amounts of money for a Mac desktop and for what...design of the tower? If you're really a pro user why do you even care?

Laptops are a different story, since the hardware is much more tightly integrated with the day to day experience.

But like, are people seriously buying $20k Mac desktops to run iPhoto? You know Lightroom runs on Windows now, right?

Until Desktop PC displays are widely available with a 5K+ resolution the iMac will have the best display on the market available to most people.

For several product generations now, Apple’s smartly kept their display prices high so buyers are encouraged “to get a desktop computer thrown in for a few hundred”. And now the $1400 5K LG display’s been discontinued anyway.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Last Chance posted:

Because Windows sucks poo poo and I refuse to beta test Microsoft's awful OS

I use Windows 10 day in and day out. It is absolute horse poo poo. Spent the end of my week hand copying a ton of data between Excel sheets because OneDrive is garbage and somehow days and days worth of version history got corrupted for ~reasons~.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 2, 2019

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Hi. I run a publishing business and need Mac OS only software to do it at the highest level. If anything, the iMacs are the best computers Apple currently make. Hell, I’d be more tempted to run my business with an iMac and a thinkpad carbon for my portable needs. I won’t, and will be buying a 2015 MacBook Pro this month for my laptop.Some of us know plenty about windows and still will pick macs because they are the best for what we do.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

PRADA SLUT posted:

the problem is the enthusiasts who imagine there's a pro market for osx on apple hardware but the reality is that the pro market is already on niche hardware apple won't produce, they're connecting to some data center with any consumer laptop or they're fine with a quad core i7 and any random modern gpu

what could possibly satisfy the "pro" market that apple can reasonably produce? a dual socket xeon workstation with two vega gpus running in crossfire? nobody except apple partisans wants that

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
If Apple makes up with Nvidia and ships something that runs CUDA they'll probably avoid scaring off their last big high powered customer base (scientific/calculation customers) who are nursing along cMP boxes or hackintoshes to run CUDA and are stuck on 10.13 cause Apple is being dumb about certifying drivers.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

kefkafloyd posted:

If Apple makes up with Nvidia and ships something that runs CUDA they'll probably avoid scaring off their last big high powered customer base (scientific/calculation customers) who are nursing along cMP boxes or hackintoshes to run CUDA and are stuck on 10.13 cause Apple is being dumb about certifying drivers.

this is what the "pro" crowd actually want (even if they don't admit it/realize it). an i9 k series processor and a 2080ti that they can pull and replace with a 3080ti in three years. i think there's zero chance apple ship anything like that

forbidden dialectics
Jul 26, 2005

LionArcher posted:

Hi. I run a publishing business and need Mac OS only software to do it at the highest level. If anything, the iMacs are the best computers Apple currently make. Hell, I’d be more tempted to run my business with an iMac and a thinkpad carbon for my portable needs. I won’t, and will be buying a 2015 MacBook Pro this month for my laptop.Some of us know plenty about windows and still will pick macs because they are the best for what we do.

\/:shobon:\/ Seems reasonable to me. Then again, I'm the guy who bought a MacBook for gaming, soooo

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

PRADA SLUT posted:

https://trends.google.com/trends/explore?date=all&geo=US&q=hackintosh

Weird how the 'high gear' was a tiny initial blip and then dissolved, leaving people still pissing and moaning year-over-year about the same thing

Well yeah, hackintoshes are really caused by the overpricing and the lack of an xMac (standard PC tower components for cheap).

The Mac Pro is laughably expensive, has the wrong CPUs and the wrong GPUs for 90% of users, plus its aimed at business users who can’t be pirating their OS.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'd consider windows, but Hi-Dpi/Retina support on Windows is still, still abysmally bad.

That's no beuno. I'm a food photographer by trade, so most of my apps are cross platform, but multiple different res displays continues to be a hurdle Windows cannot get over elegantly.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

\/:shobon:\/ Seems reasonable to me. Then again, I'm the guy who bought a MacBook for gaming, soooo

I have a headless windows computer in my closet that I just stream from using Parsec / Steam. It gives me the form factor and portability of the laptop, but allows me to use game-specific hardware on a portable device.

I was doing some ~scientific calculations~ the other day and am provisioning an EC2 instance to use as a cluster to run higher-demand things on, from my 6-year-old MacBook Pro. No issues with it either, that's a big the direction 'pro' is moving on the scientific front anyway, and even a top-end Mac Pro with quad xeons or whatever can't outcompete something like AWS.

The downside to AWS being that you pay hourly to use it, but in reality you just run numerical simulations at smaller-scale on your own hardware, then move it to a cluster for the 'actual' run anyway.

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 2, 2019

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

the talent deficit posted:

the problem is the enthusiasts who imagine there's a pro market for osx on apple hardware but the reality is that the pro market is already on niche hardware apple won't produce, they're connecting to some data center with any consumer laptop or they're fine with a quad core i7 and any random modern gpu

what could possibly satisfy the "pro" market that apple can reasonably produce? a dual socket xeon workstation with two vega gpus running in crossfire? nobody except apple partisans wants that

It depends on what you define as pro. You have one opinion, other pros have others.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

LionArcher posted:

It depends on what you define as pro. You have one opinion, other pros have others.

I define pro users as fat neckbeards who used macos 8 and have a flaccid 90's hatred of microsoft and complain about the lack of VGA ports

the venn diagram should have linux users in the other circle and the middle part is 'photoshopped gimped pictures of bill gate$ with devil horns being run over by a truck with a penguin driving it'

also their phones have rubber cases an inch thick that attach to the outside of weaved leather belts and light stonewash jeans that balloon at the rear end, like a modern ignatius j reilly

the other type of pro users are whiny dj's

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

LionArcher posted:

all i'm saying is that a lot of people talk about how apple needs to produce a pro machine but very few people can describe a pro they would purchase that apple can reasonably produce that's meaningfully different from the mac mini or the imac pro

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Apple used to sell a big dumb box. Every 6-12 months they updated it with better CPUs and GPUs as they became available. It was slightly overpriced but not absurdly so.

Then they stopped doing this and people rightfully complained.

(Then they did something even weirder, which was to do a big event about how issuing an apology to their pro users, but then they didn't actually bother to make the thing thy said thy would.)

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

all i'm saying is that a lot of people talk about how apple needs to produce a pro machine but very few people can describe a pro they would purchase that apple can reasonably produce that's meaningfully different from the mac mini or the imac pro

How about they start by not charging $5,000 for a base spec that has no replaceable parts.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

So what do people want to be able to add?

RAM
Video card
Hard drives
SSD

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Is internal hard disks really a big need these days? Storage is all about huge external networked things on super fast connections.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

So what do people want to be able to add?

RAM
Video card
Hard drives
SSD

I think everything should be replacable if one wants (because we all cheap out on speccing out a new computer, sticker shock is just a fact of life), but I think ram and video card are the big ones.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

EL BROMANCE posted:

Is internal hard disks really a big need these days? Storage is all about huge external networked things on super fast connections.

Depends, a lot of small-time editors have a few bays of internal hard drives they pull footage from to work on, then just archive on the network.

e: also, a lot of people are just data hoarders and will piss and moan if you can't stick like eight drives in it

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 3, 2019

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Will Apple sign off on NVIDIA cards?

I can’t see them allowing your own SSD since the T2 chips

And when they talk up the FASTEST SSD EVER I don’t see them putting measly SATA ports inside so people can hook up spinning rust

RAM I can see. They do that with the current Pro and iMac

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Bob Morales posted:

Will Apple sign off on NVIDIA cards?

I can’t see them allowing your own SSD since the T2 chips

And when they talk up the FASTEST SSD EVER I don’t see them putting measly SATA ports inside so people can hook up spinning rust

RAM I can see. They do that with the current Pro and iMac

You know there's going to be someone who hooks up a 5400 RPM drive and the machine takes six minutes to boot and all you get are headlines about how "APPLES NEW $6K MAC PRO BOOTS SLOWER THAN $150 NETBOOK" and other people trying to start a class-action lawsuit for free iPads or something

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I hope Apple never fixes the keyboards

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

They literally just want a tower that runs MacOS and lets them BYO GPUs/etc. That’s literally it. It doesn’t matter if they identify as software developers or filmmakers or scientists or influencers or whatever. They all just want Apple to make something like the cMP.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The new Mac Pro is just a box the size of an AppleTV and it just streams a virtual computer from Apple.

See, it fits in the theme of WWDC and software as a service and all that focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
PSA: if cMPs start going up for cheap tomorrow and you get Ideas, be aware everything about them is a little bit janky at this point.

I just had to run to Best Buy to buy blank discs in TYOOL 2019 because installing Windows 10 from a USB drive messes up the bootrom, somehow?

e: and it’s throwing up errors preventing me from installing anyway.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Jun 3, 2019