Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'd like a Mac Pro, because I do colour critical work on Eizo external displays, so my iMac's screen goes mostly unused.

I had a cheese grater 2008-2015 and it was truly fantastic. I only moved on as I needed USB 3 and Thunderbolt.

If I could have the internals of an iMac Pro in a tower, and was able to perhaps change the GPU down the line, I'd be thrilled. RAM as well would be wonderful, but not a deal breaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

The new Mac mini is fine for my desktop computing purposes, I’m not even interested in the new Mac Pro unless a miracle happens and they sell an affordable, highly extendable entry model.

The lack of GPU power in all but the highest end models used to bother me but I’ve accepted that macOS is just the wrong platform for graphics intensive applications, so I keep a plain windows box around for that and/or stream to macs.
I’m way more excited for a potential ARM MacBook with their in-house CPU and GPU architecture.

That being said AMD Ryzen should be the default choice for a new Mac Pro at this point (core count from 4 to 64 cores, higher power efficiency, PCIe 4, ECC, more secure design which is less affected by recent vulnerabilities, etc) but I’m almost certain they are going with Intel Cascade Lake X instead.

edit: vvvvvv I'm aware of eGPUs, a good concept but the execution is lacking for my purposes. First there's Nvidia driver support which is randomly coming and going, then there's TB3 protocol encapsulation which causes too much internal latency and results in a sizeable performance loss compared to native PCIe. Lastly once you price out an enclosure + eGPU you'll find that building a complete low-end PC will give you comparable performance at a comparable price with better compatibility.
That could change with a new protocol/connector optimized for this application, but I'm not holding my breath now that the TB3 spec is being rolled into USB4. vvvvvv

eames fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jun 3, 2019

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

eames posted:

The lack of GPU power in all but the highest end models used to bother me but I’ve accepted that macOS is just the wrong platform for graphics intensive applications, so I keep a plain windows box around for that and/or stream to macs.

eGPU support is apparently pretty good now, though the enclosures aren’t cheap and you lose about a quarter of the performance (more if you want to drive an internal display).

e: and you have to disable FileVault if you want to use an eGPU-connected display exclusively.

Lazyhound fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jun 3, 2019

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Bob Morales posted:

So what do people want to be able to add?

RAM
Video card
Hard drives / SSD

RAM Because Apple gouge so much on prices that it prevents people from getting enough to begin with.

Video card because the state of the art changes year by year and it’s literally pissing away money to not use the best hardware for certain work.

SSD / Hard drives: Because Apple charges a premium on top of the best NVMe drives in the market, and especially charges crazy money for upgrades. And some workloads need as much local storage as possible. A thunderbolt connected external array would work fine, but, why? It’s just a messy solution.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

PRADA SLUT posted:

The new Mac Pro is just a box the size of an AppleTV and it just streams a virtual computer from Apple.

See, it fits in the theme of WWDC and software as a service and all that focus.
A virtualised macOS instance that lives in the cloud actually sounds pretty cool

though not cool enough for me to pay a monthly fee

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

eames posted:

The amount that "traditionally mac" tasks such as premiere and photoshop lean on the gpu means that's not really true anymore. If you don't have a good gpu you can forget having fun in anything adobe.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Trashcan Pros are gonna plummet in resale cost for about a year or two. Then I expect them to rise once collectors decide they want ‘em and they realize how few there are out there.

Tbh, aside from TB3 and optional 10gig I wonder if a <$1000 used tMP won’t work better for some prospective Mac Mini buyers.

I wrote most of my grant proposal on a couple of different trashcan pros in our computer lab. They’re physically very striking little towers, if you haven’t seen one in person yet. They do look like a bit of weird art on your desk and if it hadn’t been for the cost and the lack of GPU upgrades I’m sure it would’ve found its fanbase. I can confirm that it makes a pretty dope desktop Mac if you don’t need good GPUs and a university is footing the bill.

Apple probably could’ve helped it limp along with an update or two (new CPUs, get AMD to build a more capable SFF GPU even if it ends up with middling performance as long as it’s better than what shipped in 2013) and likely a bigger price cut.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 3, 2019

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Is there a thread to follow the WWDC keynote? I guess "Mac Hardware" thread might be a touch optimistic.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

[quote="Electric Bugaloo" post=""495603641”"]
I wrote most of my grant proposal on a couple of different trashcan pros in our computer lab. They’re physically very striking little towers, if you haven’t seen one in person yet.
[/quote]

I stopped in the Apple store the other day to look at the new 4K monitor that they carry.

It was hooked up to a Mac Pro, I pointed at it and my wife said “what the gently caress is that? It looks like a trash can”

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I get they're going for nostalgia here but that thing is incredibly ugly lol.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The stand is $999. :stare:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
That display looks hype but lol am I happy I went with a refurb iMac Pro last year.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Haha 1k for the monitor arm jfc

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Another 1k for the matte finish as well.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
All I ask is that if someone at work makes me buy one of these I get to put it on a personal credit card so I can reap the points.

eames
May 9, 2009

to sum it up:

entry Mac Pro is $5,999 for an 8-core Cascade Lake-X Xeon, 32GB ECC memory, Radeon Pro 580X, 256GB SSD
two 10Gbit ports, 8 internal PCIe slots, only two native TB3 ports and two USB-A ports.
1.4kW PSU, downsized cheese-grater case on wheels, internal layout reminiscent of old Mac Pro.
Proprietary GPU modules ("MPX") are fanless and cooled by case fans; up to two dual GPUs modules per machine for up to 56 TFLOPS interconnected via infinity fabric.
Optional "Afterburner" video transcoding FPGA card available.

the 32" display has 6016x3384 pixels, HDR with 1000 nits sustained brightness, 1600 nits peak, 1.000.000:1 contrast.
$4,999 for the glossy, $5,999 for the low reflection nano-texture (?).
Stand is $999 extra. VESA mount is $199.

fake edit: all the typing was useless because specs are up

https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/specs/
https://www.apple.com/pro-display-xdr/specs/

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That thing is incredibly ugly in the best possible way. I went squee when I saw it, I'm not ashamed

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Well, we finally got the NEW new Mac Pro, it's an even more expensive and well-machined cheesegrater.

From the keynote and the web page:

Pro: can have up to 4 TB internal storage

Con: It's proprietary Apple SSDs but at least they're modular so there's a hope that 3rd parties could make cheaper compatible storage; controlled by the T2 chip though which means not likely

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
Large internal storage in such a machine seems like a bad move. Wouldn’t you do all your storage networked via 10GbE? Seems like a better spend of money, especially for a workstation.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Omfg, use that AR thing on their page to visualize it on your desk or coffee table or bed or whatever, and resize it arbitrarily

holy lol this thing is huuuuuge (wait no it's not)

eames
May 9, 2009

the pictures on their site clearly show two internal sata ports :3:

SSDs are modular, RAID0, encrypted by T2

For GPUs they a 475W PCIe connector in addition to the regular 16x, one would hope that there will be adapters that convert this long PCIe connector to power dual 8 pins for standard AIBs.

my main worry about buying such a machine would be intel's hyperthreading related vulnerabilities, though the CPU is socketed, which is nice.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Local storage will always be faster.

So if you're a video editing type you'll want as much as you can get, even if it only ever gets used as a cache.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

eames posted:

to sum it up:

entry Mac Pro is $5,999 for an 8-core Cascade Lake-X Xeon, 32GB ECC memory, Radeon Pro 580X, 256GB SSD
two 10Gbit ports, 8 internal PCIe slots, only two native TB3 ports and two USB-A ports.
1.4kW PSU, downsized cheese-grater case on wheels, internal layout reminiscent of old Mac Pro.
Proprietary GPU modules ("MPX") are fanless and cooled by case fans; up to two dual GPUs modules per machine for up to 56 TFLOPS interconnected via infinity fabric.
Optional "Afterburner" video transcoding FPGA card available.

the 32" display has 6016x3384 pixels, HDR with 1000 nits sustained brightness, 1600 nits peak, 1.000.000:1 contrast.
$4,999 for the glossy, $5,999 for the low reflection nano-texture (?).
Stand is $999 extra. VESA mount is $199.

fake edit: all the typing was useless because specs are up

https://www.apple.com/mac-pro/specs/
https://www.apple.com/pro-display-xdr/specs/

It’s 4 tb3, not 2. 2 are on top

eames
May 9, 2009

LionArcher posted:

It’s 4 tb3, not 2. 2 are on top

my understanding is that it has 2 native TB3 ports on top and then 2 TB3 + 2 USB-A in the rear supplied by a 4x PCIe I/O board

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

eames posted:

my understanding is that it has 2 native TB3 ports on top and then 2 TB3 + 2 USB-A in the rear supplied by a 4x PCIe I/O board

Double checking and that seems correct.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Hmm if Apple publishes the specs on that ASIC card or lets other people build ASICs they might turn these into mining rigs.. :D :smith:

You probably wouldn't HAVE to use Apple's Monstrous Peripheral Xchange (MPX) cards, since it's presumably PCIe 3.0, you still could probably pop an RTX 2080 in there, if Apple ever loving lets nVidia write drivers for.. Catalina? I thought we were gonna go to Malibu! Still, glad we're out of the mountains and deserts for a change.

Also, now I have to shitcan all those Cintiq proposals from clients and spec out iPads and Pencils. Sigh.

Isn't it nice that Apple gives all their devs literally a 3 month head start to retool their apps to run in the newest OS?

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 3, 2019

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Binary Badger posted:

if Apple ever loving lets nVidia write drivers for.. Catalina?

I don't understand why people don't realize that Nvidia could just publish unsigned drivers that you have to turn SIP off to install. The hackintosh folks have been doing this for years. Their "waaa Apple won't let us" is purely posturing.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

The Cheesegrater is dead. Long live the Cheesegrater!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
So you could run non-MPX GPUs in there. Like if you wanted to.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Electric Bugaloo posted:

So you could run non-MPX GPUs in there. Like if you wanted to.
Why could you possibly want to? I'm perfectly sure that the MPX devices offered by Apple will be reasonably priced. |>

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Lol at people complaining about the price of the Pro, when Apple knows that firms like Pixar will order a gazillion of them fully loaded with three displays per Pro (plus the stand.)

Apple is just printing money at this point.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

ratbert90 posted:

Lol at people complaining about the price of the Pro, when Apple knows that firms like Pixar will order a gazillion of them fully loaded with three displays per Pro (plus the stand.)

I’m not at that point yet, but if my business keeps growing I’d order this on December 31 and have it as a very nice tax write off.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
If Apple had cheaped out people would be bitching it's the death of Macs.

This thing is just awesome in it's excess. Also if Apple keeps up their refresh/update schedule, it's all your going to get for another 6 years.

Anton Chigurh
Mar 18, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Trashcan Pros are gonna plummet in resale cost for about a year or two. Then I expect them to rise once collectors decide they want ‘em and they realize how few there are out there.

They should never rise in price, they should all be gathered up and dumped into the same New Mexico landfill that Atari dumped all those E.T. The Extraterrestrial game cartridges in.

Or better yet, the one Apple dumped all those Lisa computers into, since unlike the E.T. cartridges, they've never been found.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Nice I'll probably try to pick an old Trashcan Pro up if the prices do fall :getin:

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ratbert90 posted:

No. Pixar is not enough to even make back 1% of the R&D cost of this.

Really, I don't know how this makes money by itself, unless the margins are >100%, which they very well may be. Tons of work sunk into this, and they're not going to sell millions of them.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Every single tech YouTuber with over 500k subscribers is going to buy a maxed out $15,000 Pro to put in the back of all of their videos.

eames
May 9, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

If Apple had cheaped out people would be bitching it's the death of Macs.

This thing is just awesome in it's excess. Also if Apple keeps up their refresh/update schedule, it's all your going to get for another 6 years.

I agree that they did a really good job. Im not happy this they went with Intel instead of AMD TR2 but that’s understandable as Ryzen 1 likely wasn’t even out when they started designing this.

This is the one single desktop machine where PCIe 4 would have made sense from the start. Buying into what’s essentially a >$6k 14nm Skylake based machine in 2019 also worries me after recent security vulnerability disclosures and the performance loss from mitigations; there’s probably more where that came from.

American McGay posted:

Every single tech YouTuber with over 500k subscribers is going to buy a maxed out $15,000 Pro to put in the back of all of their videos.

That’s probably off by the order of one magnitude for a maxed out spec.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

AlternateAccount posted:

No. Pixar is not enough to even make back 1% of the R&D cost of this.

Really, I don't know how this makes money by itself, unless the margins are >100%, which they very well may be. Tons of work sunk into this, and they're not going to sell millions of them.

There's such pent-up demand for new Mac Pros they'll sell out this first year. After 2019, who knows.

Otherwise it creates a halo effect for Apple's other products and probably increases sales of iMac Pro's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Last Chance posted:

Nice I'll probably try to pick an old Trashcan Pro up if the prices do fall :getin:

I run a workstation with a Threadripper 2970WX and a GPU dedicated for a KVM. It's quite a bit faster than a Trashcan and I treat it like native MacOS.