Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
he's also currently showing it off on stream

https://www.twitch.tv/pangaeapanga

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

For those like me who missed last page:

BabyRyoga posted:

:siren::siren::siren:SMM2 is a month away, so what do you do for a month?:siren::siren::siren:

Why not go play Panga's new Kaizo Tutorial hack, now available on SMW central?

If you like SMW (IE the best style in SMM), and want to learn everything there is to know about how to play more difficult levels, give it a shot. It will explain the most basic kaizo mechanics in-depth, and give you an easy practice area for performing "tricks" so to speak. Just load up your favorite emulator or SNES homebrew device, apply the patch, and you'll find yourself becoming better at SMW over night!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

That’s neat. I’ll load it up on my SNES Classic and give it a go.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I hope my opinion changes, and I'll try them, obviously, but I have to say that my interest in playing any SMB3D levels is almost non-existent. I've never played the original game, though I wanted to. But everything I've seen so far from it just doesn't inspire anything in me at all.

Just like the NSMB style, except I'm more familiar with that one. Is it just me?

I 100% agree with this. 3D World wasn't my favorite, but approximating it to a 2D style seems weird. Adding things to the existing MM1 tile sets was enough to warrant a sequel. Unless some 3DW levels are featured in some streams or AGDQ, I won't really be seeking them out. At least, that's how I feel now.

I'll be way more stoked when the Mario 2 style is announced.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

zfleeman posted:

I 100% agree with this. 3D World wasn't my favorite, but approximating it to a 2D style seems weird. Adding things to the existing MM1 tile sets was enough to warrant a sequel. Unless some 3DW levels are featured in some streams or AGDQ, I won't really be seeking them out. At least, that's how I feel now.

I'll be way more stoked when the Mario 2 style is announced.

Yeah, I would've honestly preferred Mario 2 and Yoshi's Island as the special styles. 3D World has some interesting components to it, but it also seems kind of arbitrary unless there are some major differences under the hood we haven't seen.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I thought this was worth sharing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlWV9LsB4y4

Videos of unfinished levels unearthed from NSMBU Deluxe. A lot of these feel like what you might expect if the average Mario Maker player got their hands on the NSMBU level editor.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

:smugdog:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPDIQ2Pc6Jo&t=275s

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Those conditions are going to be so abusive that any level having one gets auto-skipped by every player.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Jesus christ... He's leaving the ground to get the feather power up :psyduck:

That's what's doing it, right? The feather is the red herring, right? Or am I misunderstanding?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Yeah that's what they're doing, it's hard to watch. But why didn't Nintendo just make it so that you die if you land? In the case of a floor-is-lava challenge, If you violated the condition, there's nothing you can do but start over.

Also, I hope there's a "collect no more than x coins" clear condition.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I just thought it was cute that there was a dog in the sky...

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Argue posted:

Yeah that's what they're doing, it's hard to watch. But why didn't Nintendo just make it so that you die if you land? In the case of a floor-is-lava challenge, If you violated the condition, there's nothing you can do but start over.

Also, I hope there's a "collect no more than x coins" clear condition.

Perhaps to let players practice or scout out what the rest of the level will be like so they can have a plan on the next try, maybe?

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

"don't collect any coins"
BAH HA HIDDEN COIN BOXES EVERYWHERE! I'm so clever! -every level with a win condition

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

RodShaft posted:

"don't collect any coins"
BAH HA HIDDEN COIN BOXES EVERYWHERE! I'm so clever! -every level with a win condition

Oh gently caress, you're probably right :negative:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's not really the meta. When people put hidden coin traps that tend to surround them with a box of tracks or an arrow pointing at them, so the challenge is jumping in a way you go around or not rushing through without paying attention, rather than just being waylaid.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I still love a good invisible block gotcha, especially if there is only one in the stage.

Also, bring back the gold flower!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Sam Faust posted:

I just thought it was cute that there was a dog in the sky...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Argue posted:

I really think it works better this way, rather than just cause the player to die immediately upon failing it. I kind of like the possible uncertainty of whether or not you've completed the condition, until you get to the tape.

Also, this person making this level wouldn't be as confused if they died the moment they came down from hitting the question block :colbert: In that respect, especially if players get confused, I think it comes across more puzzle like this way.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Were they confused? They set the condition themselves, looks like they were just testing it out and some various other things, they weren't trying to clear it.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

I really think it works better this way, rather than just cause the player to die immediately upon failing it. I kind of like the possible uncertainty of whether or not you've completed the condition, until you get to the tape.

There's not really any uncertainty because if the clear condition is fulfilled, there will be a flag icon near the character.

I am curious how that type of condition will work in multiplayer. Like, if everyone needs to not touch the ground to keep the flag out or if just one person can finish it.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Were they confused? They set the condition themselves, looks like they were just testing it out and some various other things, they weren't trying to clear it.

I don't know, it seemed like they weren't sure why their level wasn't working. I could be totally wrong, just my feelings from the video.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

If you keep watching, it looks like there is an 8bit giant Mario in a clown car that can break usually unbreakable blocks. Is this a known powerup, or have I been watching too many gamexplain videos?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It was an amiibo exclusive power-up in the first one except it also changed a lot of other sprites in that

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Flint_Paper posted:

If you keep watching, it looks like there is an 8bit giant Mario in a clown car that can break usually unbreakable blocks. Is this a known powerup, or have I been watching too many gamexplain videos?

The Mega/Giant mushroom is the replacement powerup for mystery/costume mushrooms.

I’ve been flipping through videos of random people that got to go to the event but the only interesting thing I saw so far was that the purple I beams from SMB3 desert theme are back.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
man this game is gonna own

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

eonwe posted:

This man is gonna own this game

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Jesus christ... He's leaving the ground to get the feather power up :psyduck:

That's what's doing it, right? The feather is the red herring, right? Or am I misunderstanding?

Course completion state is indicated by the red flag by Mario's head. The problem is actually that they aren't starting play with Mario on the ground so it goes away immediately, although of course they wouldn't be able to get the feather either.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

eonwe posted:

So excited to be attached at the hip with my Switch again.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

eonwe posted:

I’m gonna put a ridiculous amount of time into it. I loved Mario Maker 1 and just having slopes alone is going to make this game much better.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Neat detail.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I don't know what I'm more excited about; building a bunch of levels, or having near instant access to a virtually unlimited supply of levels. Even if 80% are garbage, 20% of 'infinite' is *checks notes*... uhh, still infinite.

My four year old son and I now do this thing where we jokingly threaten each other with crazier and crazier level ideas.

Me: Oh yeah? Well, I'm going to make a level for you FILLED WITH THWOMPS and CHAIN CHOMPS!

Him: Oh YEAH? Well I'M going to put an Angry Sun in a level and then make all of the ground lava, and put 15 Bowsers in it, and then make it explode!

And then I either one-up (heh) him, or pretend to be scared.

Thank you for this, Nintendo. I genuinely don't care if I buy another game this year.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jO6vOh1Agi4

fart

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I don't know what I'm more excited about; building a bunch of levels, or having near instant access to a virtually unlimited supply of levels. Even if 80% are garbage, 20% of 'infinite' is *checks notes*... uhh, still infinite.

My four year old son and I now do this thing where we jokingly threaten each other with crazier and crazier level ideas.

Me: Oh yeah? Well, I'm going to make a level for you FILLED WITH THWOMPS and CHAIN CHOMPS!

Him: Oh YEAH? Well I'M going to put an Angry Sun in a level and then make all of the ground lava, and put 15 Bowsers in it, and then make it explode!

And then I either one-up (heh) him, or pretend to be scared.

Thank you for this, Nintendo. I genuinely don't care if I buy another game this year.

oh my god that's adorable :3:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Two minor aesthetic things I hope are changed,
The Helmets no longer wobble on Mario's head in Mario World. It looks really strange and bothers me to the point I never included them in that style as "yuck that's bad!"

The graphics to be updated in NSMB style. The original game cheated by having all the enemies and assets be sprites instead of 3D models which led to really stiff animation on some enemies. I like NSMB Castle levels but the sprites slightly bugged me- now that 3D World has actual models I hope they can update that style.

Also I really hope they make it so you can only place a single meowser per zone. Triple Bowser was already shitpost tier and all he can do is jump back and forth and shoot fireballs or whatever. Watching footage of Meowser it looks like he can dive off the stage and pop up in the foreground to do some quick snipe shots at you, swim into the background to do the same and bound underneath the stage to ambush you. Having 3 of them seems kind of awful.

I also wonder if you can stack anything on him or put him on anything. With how dynamic he is I feel like he'd just leap off of a enemies head and become normal or something.

E: I hope they also fixed the camera. I remember in a handful of stages that after a certain point if you climbed high enough Mario would be in the middle of the screen which made making vertical sections pretty annoying to build and be fair.

ThisIsACoolGuy fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jun 5, 2019

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I have not been this excited for a game in a long time

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Also I really hope they make it so you can only place a single meowser per zone. Triple Bowser was already shitpost tier and all he can do is jump back and forth and shoot fireballs or whatever. Watching footage of Meowser it looks like he can dive off the stage and pop up in the foreground to do some quick snipe shots at you, swim into the background to do the same and bound underneath the stage to ambush you. Having 3 of them seems kind of awful.

you literally fight multiple meowsers at once in the actual fight from mario 3d world

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

I enjoy the garbage levels by pretending I'm playing levels from alternate universe Mario games where the series just totally went to poo poo early on, and that's good amusement for me in small doses.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

sharrrk posted:

you literally fight multiple meowsers at once in the actual fight from mario 3d world

Well yeah, but you weren't restricted to a completely 2D plane where he blocks half the screen if he decides to faff about in the foreground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I went back and replayed nearly all my levels over the weekend with my little brother. Was interesting to replay stuff I made ages ago and see how much I remembered. Some of them surprised me with how, uh, bad they were :saddowns:

Some takeaways I got from it;

-I made so many of my levels much harder than they should of been. Even when I was trying to make easier stuff I was shocked by how difficult it got. Its hard to gauge difficulty when you're making your own stuff but I really should of known better
-I used ice blocks way too much
-Just don't use dry bones in the Super Mario World theme. Or use them extremely sparingly. They might work well thematically but that stupid bone projectile is awful.