Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

~Coxy posted:

Brick is real bad, except for being able to hang pictures.

You obviously don't live in tornado country.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

~Coxy posted:

Brick is real bad, except for being able to hang pictures.

kid sinister posted:

You obviously don't live in tornado country.

Or wolf country.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I have a brick and block house. What's wrong with brick? Just learn to love that tapcon blue.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Brick is very thermally inefficient.

I thought of another advantage though - it's much easier to run new drops, on exterior walls at least.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bricks are death in geologically‐active areas.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Mercury Ballistic posted:

I have a brick and block house. What's wrong with brick? Just learn to love that tapcon blue.

I laughed at the price the first time I had to buy a blue tapcon.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Proteus Jones posted:

Or wolf country.

I'm told this is bat country.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

mycomancy posted:

I'm told this is bat country.

Oh. Well, you can probably not bother with brick then. They can’t huff and puff nearly as much.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

uvar posted:

I had high hopes from this but all the stories I can find about hoarders in tiny houses are from them downsizing instead of anything entertaining

Okay, found the source for this one https://www.apartmenttherapy.com/house-tour-an-incredible-expanding-tiny-house-243538 and also http://www.productionartanddesign.com/interior

The file is titled "Rabbitat"

I can't figure out how they get into the bed. Just hang the ladder off the bottom edge? Secret hatch above the toilet? Through the window?

(There's a gif on the page I can't embed that shows them assembling it)
Don't miss the scissor jacks at the corners and the plank next to the tree that's helping to prop up the side extension supports

There is an episode of that old Tiny House building show about this thing. I think the couple who did it are set designers? and they travel for work a lot so this was their solution.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
I know a sound person who converted a short bus for exactly that reason.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

~Coxy posted:

Brick is very thermally inefficient.

I thought of another advantage though - it's much easier to run new drops, on exterior walls at least.

Disagree; at least the way I know it to be done, we don't use the cavity for running cables.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

there wolf posted:

There is an episode of that old Tiny House building show about this thing. I think the couple who did it are set designers? and they travel for work a lot so this was their solution.

My parents have their TV permanently set to this channel, and I totally remember this episode. You have to turn the sailing steering wheel thing to pop the roof up or something. I'm stunned it all works.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
Oh wait also the sound person I know was the sound person on that tiny house show (when they shoot in our region). Or at least A tiny house show, I assume there are a few.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Chitin posted:

Oh wait also the sound person I know was the sound person on that tiny house show (when they shoot in our region). Or at least A tiny house show, I assume there are a few.

It started out with people building tiny houses, but now it's just buying prefab ones which is a lot less interesting/funny.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

there wolf posted:

It started out with people building tiny houses, but now it's just buying prefab ones which is a lot less interesting/funny.

Bougie trailer trash, with less space, and a bucket instead of a toilet.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Tiny houses are all fun and games until you have to drop a serious deuce in the bucket while your guests (or spouse) are 6 inches away seated in the “living room”. That’d be a deal breaker for anyone in that situation.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

Slayerjerman posted:

Tiny houses are all fun and games until you have to drop a serious deuce in the bucket while your guests (or spouse) are 6 inches away seated in the “living room”. That’d be a deal breaker for anyone in that situation.

Make eye contact, establish dominance, offer them some bucket chowder?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
My homesteader friends are doing the bucket toilet thing in their "cabin". Actually making GBS threads in it is miserable, but the awkward part takes about a day to wear off.

That said, mine will have a god drat bathroom

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
https://twitter.com/ElliottBrossard/status/1124799758629883904

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Load bearing Ikea.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
DIY › Crappy Construction Tales: Load-bearing men's drawers

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

I'm sorry, but this owns

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the cleaners will be cursing the assholes that own the place every time they do the bathroom

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

The Glumslinger posted:

I'm sorry, but this owns

It's an awfully precarious route from the toilet to the sink.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Why do they have a Jabba the Hutt mural next to their tub?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Why do they have a Jabba the Hutt mural next to their tub?

Do you not have a Bathroom Jabba? That’s like this generation’s Kitchen Witch.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

H110Hawk posted:

Bougie trailer trash, with less space, and a bucket instead of a toilet.

Yup in Vegas they're straight up gentrifying the area sounding our downtown, and replaced some areas that had trailer homes and derelict small homes, into "communities" with trailers or plots with even smaller tiny homes.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

:krakken: mural is pretty solid.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

The toilet on the riser seems to be taking the idea of the porcelain throne literally.

Youth Decay posted:

It's an awfully precarious route from the toilet to the sink.

Yes, that is decidedly not a good bathroom for someone who is shitfaced.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

You know I don’t think that’s what people mean when they talk about suicide doors

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

AFewBricksShy posted:

The toilet on the riser seems to be taking the idea of the porcelain throne literally.

They hosed up by not placing the toilet in the center and raising it an extra 6” higher than everything else. If you’re gonna raise a toilet, go big and become the King of poo poo Mountain.

Edit: put lighting surrounding the throne and a subwoofer that fills the house with guttural roars when flushing. The Lord of the Estate has Shat, Glory to God in the highest.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 5, 2019

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Less construction and more osha, but I don't have that thread bookmarked if it even still exists and the same people read both so whatever

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Javid posted:

Less construction and more osha, but I don't have that thread bookmarked if it even still exists and the same people read both so whatever

I got you

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763899&pagenumber=1259#lastpost

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Moatman posted:

You know I don’t think that’s what people mean when they talk about suicide doors

I can't get over the fact that the door has an address number on it. Like that's the primary door.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Darchangel posted:

I can't get over the fact that the door has an address number on it. Like that's the primary door.
Seems pretty clear it used to be a duplex.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Darchangel posted:

Repurposed front door, from that house or another. What it's doing up there is still a total loving mystery

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

GotLag posted:

Repurposed front door, from that house or another. What it's doing up there is still a total loving mystery

Keeping the flies out duuh.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

wesleywillis posted:

Keeping the flies out duuh.

Gotta admit I laughed at that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

hello we'd like to come down now