Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

He sounds like an angry, bitter isolated man.

None of those things came up with those groups at all.

"Thankfully, my life is minimized to the point I no longer deal with these people.  I'm not in school.  I don't work in corporate America.  I don't watch TV.  I don't even watch the news."

All these things I talk about are BS! And I know this because I refuse to interact with people and I also refuse to be informed.

The internet is great but terrible because it gives people like him, the stay-at-home basement dwellers, and the anti-vax stay-at-home mom, the ability to blog their nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

piL posted:

Arguments like these are how pathfinders get made.

I demand an entire class based around holding, but not wielding a shield!

Enough of this bullshit where characters are forced to pick and choose.

I demand maximum possible grogness!

My base attack bonus is 5 thacos and 2 save vs poison, paralyze and rods past a deactivated dual class and thats how I like it.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If the shield is a bit heavy can you get your friend over to come carry it with you?

If you use a trolley to carry the shield does it gain the benefits?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Do I get the AC bonus if I’m surfing down a hill on the shield?

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

change my name posted:

Rule of cool says yes

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

change my name posted:

Attacks from the ground? Yes obviously duh

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009
Dex+Acrobatics to pull off the sicknasty nose grab towards the incoming attack.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
If we're utilising the centaur stack, does each centaur carrying the centaur who's carrying the shield also count as carrying the shield?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Azza Bamboo posted:

If we're utilising the centaur stack, does each centaur carrying the centaur who's carrying the shield also count as carrying the shield?

If the shield bonuses stack, do they also stack if I carry round a stack of shields like dinner plates in a pile?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I feel the real problem here is that loving tweet. It's clear the dude is asking about just these edge cases, and Crawford gives a complete non-answer that clarifies nothing.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer
I don't know if this is a common thing people do but my DM ruled in my last session that my Paladin can use Lay on Hands to sober people up because alcohol could be considered a poison.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Pendent posted:

I don't know if this is a common thing people do but my DM ruled in my last session that my Paladin can use Lay on Hands to sober people up because alcohol could be considered a poison.

I mean, if it worked in Good Omens I'm 100% in favor of divine magic sobering people up.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Omnicrom posted:

I mean, if it worked in Good Omens I'm 100% in favor of divine magic sobering people up.

I really ought to see that movie. I've got a bunch of plans to use them to mess with people. The initial context was to sober up a ship's captain to help us flee a city but now the sky is the limit.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
A runaway paladin in full plate is careening down a hill, surfing on the back of a shield. At the base of the hill on the ground, tied to a five shields, are five red slaads, their faces obscured by five more shields secured like masks. Before you is a shield that, when thrown (Captain America-style), will knock the paladin off course into a black abishai wielding a shield in each hand with an additional Animated Shield active and currently orbiting its position.

Assuming the paladin catches the shield that knocks them off course, what is the combined total AC of this moral dilemma?

Bad Seafood fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 3, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
In interesting news James Wyatt is back to help Keith Baker on the upcoming Eberron Book.

https://twitter.com/aquelajames/status/1135365717929353217?s=21

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

And our dreams of competent game design are forever crushed.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

And our dreams of competent game design are forever crushed.

Are Wyatt and Baker bad at game design like Crawford and Mearls? I don't understand.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I feel the real problem here is that loving tweet. It's clear the dude is asking about just these edge cases, and Crawford gives a complete non-answer that clarifies nothing.

Those tweets in general are the dumbest rule clarifications I've seen

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dex_sda posted:

It's why they are not official.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Good.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I doubt you meant this, but it sounds like you're saying they're not official because they are bad.

Anyway, who are these people working on Eberron, and why is that bad?

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I doubt you meant this, but it sounds like you're saying they're not official because they are bad.

I just googled and they are two of the three original authors of the 3.5e Eberron books so :iiam:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Gharbad the Weak posted:

They are the two of the original authors. So I have no idea why that is bad.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

dex_sda posted:

Honestly the problem with Crawford is he is King poo poo of Non-Answer Mountain.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

Arthil posted:

Honestly the problem with Crawford is he is King poo poo of Non-Answer Mountain.

I’ve said it before, but his style of aggravating non-answer answers made total sense once I found out he has a background in theology.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
Keith Baker is the guy who created Eberron. He's incredibly good. I know Wyatt helped write the Eberron setting book but I dunno his chops otherwise.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I was a little sad when I saw the printed rule that characters can only weild/hold/equip/blabla one shield. I have some fond memories of people using dual shields in both tabletop and electronic RPGs

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Baker is fine. Wyatt is responsible for some dumb poo poo. Wyatt did 3.5 Book of Exalted Deeds.

TheGreatEvilKing fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jun 4, 2019

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Arthil posted:

Pretty much. Answering "Isn't it obvious???" is just useless.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
The #english on that tweet from Crawford just kills me. He can speak English just fine you loving shithead he’s asking a valid question about your turd rule set for this inexplicably popular turd game.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Wyatt did 3.5 Book of Exalted Deeds.

Quick, someone get Gwendolyn Kestrel and Duncan Scott on board

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

Narsham posted:

-snip-
Step 2 is attaching one end of manacles to a shield and handing them to your rogue. Next time you fight an NPC wizard, the rogue should run up and attach the free manacle to the wizard's arm. You then argue that the wizard cannot cast spells because he is now "wearing" a shield.

I don't know about you but if a Rogue pulled that off at my table I'd say having an awkward 6 pound hunk of wood and/or metal forcibly attached to your wrist would gently caress with your spellcasting a bit. At least make it so that hand can't be used for Somatic.

But all this shield talk is a big spotlight on the problem a lot of people have of getting so focused on the wording and rules legality and lawyering that they don't stop and think what it would actually look like or how it's actually supposed to function. So why does a magic shield give you a +1 to AC? Is it making a magic forcefield all over your body, or is it just a better shield that can block better? I agree you can "Hold" a shield without "Wielding" it but how in the heck does that provide you any measure of physical protection?

It's clearly just trying to power-cheese every little +1 someone can out of a system by exploiting language that was never intended to be airtight. I prefer the language being written this way and the rules set being easier to make custom content for than the explosion of tags, titles, and call-outs you need to make anything custom for the PF2 Playtest.

The real question people should (read: Shouldn't) be asking is if the +1 applies to anyone holding it why can't the party all circle around putting one hand on the same shield and all benefit from the same benefit.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

This shield discussion perfectly highlights why game language is better than natural language imo.

I get that in custom stuff you can just write whatever and have it be rules but it's still a bit annoying that the stock stuff is so loose.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Wyatt from looking has some good books under his belt. Making one or two lackluster ones is nothing major.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

mango sentinel posted:

Keith Baker is the guy who created Eberron. He's incredibly good. I know Wyatt helped write the Eberron setting book but I dunno his chops otherwise.

James Wyatt was a good to middling designer for 3e, so he's going to be amazing at 5e.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Wyatt's a credited author on 4e's PHB 1 and 2. He'll be fine.

Ceros_X
Aug 6, 2006

U.S. Marine
If I have a shield in a bag of holding (but am not holding the bag), do I gain the benefits of the shield? If I am holding the bag of holding? lol

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Ceros_X posted:

If I have a shield in a bag of holding (but am not holding the bag), do I gain the benefits of the shield? If I am holding the bag of holding? lol
Interesting question. Can the owner of the bag just claim the +1 by deed? If the King has a bag of holding with a magic shield and gifts it to the entire realm collectively, does everyone in the kingdom get +1 AC?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I don't know if anyone in here will care, and I don't rememver seeing this linked in the thread befofe. A while back Brian W. Foster did a longform interview with Perkins about his life and career. No matter what you feel about him, watching that has got to be better than shield talk or rantings of a bitter old chud rear end in a top hat via his blog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Infinite Karma posted:

Interesting question. Can the owner of the bag just claim the +1 by deed? If the King has a bag of holding with a magic shield and gifts it to the entire realm collectively, does everyone in the kingdom get +1 AC?

Combine the peasant railgun concept with this.

What if a million peasants in a line use their actions to pass the shield? Do they all get the +1 AC benefit AND get to throw an improvised weapon at the opponent?