Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Early game sucks other than Praetoria. And even that stuff can get repetitive or else defeats the purpose of certain ATs (ambushes gunning straight for your hidden Stalker). DFB is a great way to level up a character to more interesting content in a fraction of the time. I don't really have a dog in this fight as I play on the goon server, but gutting DFB is akin to what they did with Rage. Just removing functionality for some users because others didn't like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruby Prism
Aug 7, 2011

With this, I'll be able to make the ultimate pie!

HPanda posted:

Just a little something special for all the villains who yell "It's [character name]!"

Gonna have to make some macros for Gang War.

:allears:

I adore everything about this.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Sophism posted:

:allears:

I adore everything about this.

Thanks!

And I'm not sure I've ever been more sad that I can't customize the costumes of MM pets. On the upside, it is possible to have one set up a boombox while the rest dance.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

Martian Girl from Planet V, won't you marry me?

She's lookin' hungry, think she's gonna eat me!

Savage/Bio Brute is CRAZY good.

I snagged Powdered Milk Man but don't know what to do with it.

i tried to make powdered milk man on the rp server and couldnt.

i made this guy though, Super Rad the Rad/Rad Tanker

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Hey friends, it has come to my attention that certain parties have removed Tequila's ability to access unofficial servers. Unfortunately, the only alternative is to use the Creamsoda launcher instead. This only affects you if you're playing on the goonserver.

Will update the OP with this shortly.

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.

Tsurupettan posted:

Hey friends, it has come to my attention that certain parties have removed Tequila's ability to access unofficial servers. Unfortunately, the only alternative is to use the Creamsoda launcher instead. This only affects you if you're playing on the goonserver.

Running Tequila 1.0.0.20 and I can still connect to W18 no problem. Was there some sort up update to Tequila?

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Indeed, I'm not going to get into how/why, but almost every server has had issues with it since last night. The lovely people behind ws18 seem to have fixed what was broken though, so now it works again!

Might be a good idea to grab the alternative launcher at some point though, just in case another accident happens.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

Amstrad posted:

Running Tequila 1.0.0.20 and I can still connect to W18 no problem. Was there some sort up update to Tequila?

Yeah, I'm having zero problems either.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
My Crab firing his Dickshark off at the Knives of Caltrops.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Remade my mace/shield character as a brute and it definitely feels a lot squishier than the tanker but maybe that’s because I didn’t get all the defensive stuff right out the gate. Are the numbers on the defensive sets different between brute/tanker or is it just purely the order in which you get things?

I also wish there were more mace options. Most of them are garbage.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

clone on the phone posted:

Look at this, it looks like a lot of options but when you are in the tailor it feels like you just cant find one that will fit.
https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Weapon_Customization#War_Mace

Actually now that I look at it, that page is missing some options like the Tech Night mace, which is my favorite.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

clone on the phone posted:

Remade my mace/shield character as a brute and it definitely feels a lot squishier than the tanker but maybe that’s because I didn’t get all the defensive stuff right out the gate. Are the numbers on the defensive sets different between brute/tanker or is it just purely the order in which you get things?

The numbers on brutes are worse - a shield tanker's deflection is 15% defense versus the brute's 11.25% - but with sets you can make up a lot of that difference. Brute's get the same base numbers as scrappers, they can just go up to 90% resist like tankers.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I guess less than 4% isn’t really gonna be a problem at the end of the day.

e: holy smokes I got a low level orange recipe drop and it sold for over 3mil.

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jun 3, 2019

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Tsurupettan posted:

Is that their wording, 'unofficial servers'? What even is that

Amstrad
Apr 4, 2007

To destroy evil you must become an even greater evil.
No that's Tsurupettan's wording. There hasn't been any notice or comment of any sort from anyone involved with Tequila on why the ability to use server manifests other than the one used by Homecoming was briefly broken.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

mastajake posted:

Early game sucks other than Praetoria. And even that stuff can get repetitive or else defeats the purpose of certain ATs (ambushes gunning straight for your hidden Stalker). DFB is a great way to level up a character to more interesting content in a fraction of the time. I don't really have a dog in this fight as I play on the goon server, but gutting DFB is akin to what they did with Rage. Just removing functionality for some users because others didn't like it.

Except they didn't gut it at all. It's slowly but increasingly less lucrative from 10-20, ending at 50% XP at 20. That's the gentlest possible way to nudge people towards doing literally anything other than DFB. People mindlessly grinding DFB are people not filling up TF teams, DiB teams, regular ole mission teams, or even AE teams.

Most people running it aren't doing so to skip to level 20 as fast as possible (and if you really want to that badly I'm sure there's AE farms that can do it faster even with the XP penalty), they're doing it because they want to push buttons and have XP come out. The problem is once they finally do get tired of it they're running around at level 20+ and have no idea how the entire rest of the game works. Or even their own drat powers since most of them will be turned off throughout the trial.

And even with the nerf in place, nothing's even changed, because people don't read the patch notes or don't care; the majority of groups advertising in the LFG channel are still for DFB. Which I think speaks to how pervasive it is and why they nerfed it in the first place.

Edit: Also in terms of low-level content, I obviously can't speak for what anyone else has seen or done 100 times already, but there's a shitload of it available. And with double XP you're not likely to need to exhaust every last contact in a zone before being able to move on, so you can do one with character A, another with character B, etc. You even have alternatives to the tedious Atlas/Mercy revamp content.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 3, 2019

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

mastajake posted:

New Atlas is okay, and I quite like New King's Row, but there is the relatively fundamental issue that you don't know how your character plays in CoX until you have a full chain, and many classes have internal mechanics that don't become fully realised until they've gotten to higher levels. I remembered recently that SR doesn't get any AOE defence until level like, level 35, and that's far from the worst one. I get not knowing how your powers work as being a concern, but I feel like people could probably just start at level 20 with a chain and their basic toggles without any problems after they've got their first 50 or something; it's not like CoX is a really demanding game that requires iron-clad understanding of it's mechanics.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

Except they didn't gut it at all. It's slowly but increasingly less lucrative from 10-20, ending at 50% XP at 20. That's the gentlest possible way to nudge people towards doing literally anything other than DFB. People mindlessly grinding DFB are people not filling up TF teams, DiB teams, regular ole mission teams, or even AE teams.

Most people running it aren't doing so to skip to level 20 as fast as possible (and if you really want to that badly I'm sure there's AE farms that can do it faster even with the XP penalty), they're doing it because they want to push buttons and have XP come out. The problem is once they finally do get tired of it they're running around at level 20+ and have no idea how the entire rest of the game works. Or even their own drat powers since most of them will be turned off throughout the trial.

And even with the nerf in place, nothing's even changed, because people don't read the patch notes or don't care; the majority of groups advertising in the LFG channel are still for DFB. Which I think speaks to how pervasive it is and why they nerfed it in the first place.

Edit: Also in terms of low-level content, I obviously can't speak for what anyone else has seen or done 100 times already, but there's a shitload of it available. And with double XP you're not likely to need to exhaust every last contact in a zone before being able to move on, so you can do one with character A, another with character B, etc. You even have alternatives to the tedious Atlas/Mercy revamp content.

idk if youve done it after the patch john but they mega nerfed the xp even before 10. it takes 2 runs to get to 10 now instead of 1, with 100% xp active. and afte 10 it gets worse and worse.

ive rolled a 4-5 new alts since the patch and dfbed them to 10-12 just to skip ap/kr and it's definitely a lot slower. it's clearly unintended but they definitely hosed it up

edit: it actually seems like the 50% thats supposed to kick in at 20 or whatever has kicked in baseline, since the xp has dropped by pretty much exactly half.
i'm glad theres more 10-20 content teams but it sucks to roll alts and have it take forever to find out you hate how they play. Getting almost to the bottom of your primary tree at 18 was a nice taste of how the powers worked, and took like a half hour-45 minutes.

I AM THE MOON fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jun 3, 2019

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It took a bit of digging to find a post about it but apparently XP boosters aren't playing nice with the new XP curve. It's a known issue to be fixed next patch.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

John Murdoch posted:

It took a bit of digging to find a post about it but apparently XP boosters aren't playing nice with the new XP curve. It's a known issue to be fixed next patch.

cool. I don't mind the xp tapering bc ppl were doing that poo poo to 50 or whatever, I just wanna try everything til i find something I like and thats why i have 20 characters

thanks for reading my blog post

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

Amstrad posted:

No that's Tsurupettan's wording. There hasn't been any notice or comment of any sort from anyone involved with Tequila on why the ability to use server manifests other than the one used by Homecoming was briefly broken.

My wording, but it affected all server manifests that aren't using Leo's standardized content distribution. No idea if it was an accident or intentional, but considering that Leo is still doing things like banning people from his own server for talking about it elsewhere, I'm just going to switch over myself. I will update the OP again to reflect that both are usable, but with a note about what happened as it is clear they have the power to disable any manifests they don't approve of.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

It doesn't matter that it's all people were doing. People were enjoying it and it was taken away because other people didn't like that they were enjoying it. The gentlest nudge would have been to increase TF or regular non-DFB grouping xp.

spectralent posted:

New Atlas is okay, and I quite like New King's Row, but there is the relatively fundamental issue that you don't know how your character plays in CoX until you have a full chain, and many classes have internal mechanics that don't become fully realised until they've gotten to higher levels. I remembered recently that SR doesn't get any AOE defence until level like, level 35, and that's far from the worst one. I get not knowing how your powers work as being a concern, but I feel like people could probably just start at level 20 with a chain and their basic toggles without any problems after they've got their first 50 or something; it's not like CoX is a really demanding game that requires iron-clad understanding of it's mechanics.

Also, this.

Zandar
Aug 22, 2008
I tried giving this a shot on Homecoming, but it crashes whenever it tries to load Atlas City (so after the tutorial and then whenever I try to log in again). I revalidated the files, but it didn't try to download anything. Is this a known issue or should I try re-installing?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
For those who do not read the barkley 2 thread, I present to you,

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

For those who do not read the barkley 2 thread, I present to you,

:golfclap:

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Been having fun with my new SS/WP Brute:

It's a bit simpler than I'd like, but there isn't a whole lot of crossover between the girl model and the big buff model.

Still, it's enough to do this:

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

staff/bio armor stalker is fun as hell. haunt the colosseum and poke ppl to death with ur trident

edit: i have no idea what page i left open but ppl were talking about staff combat lol

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah this. I rolled a new dude last night and even with 2XP, two DFB runs only took me to level 9.

As for the big picture, I think this points to what I mentioned earlier about pubbies who never played the original. People are *still* running DFB to 50, which to me seems about as much fun as coating my ding-a-ling with Tabasco and feeding it to rabid wombats. I'm guessing these people were brainwashed by other MMORPGs, where the goal is to grind to max level as fast as possible.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 3, 2019

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
In fairness, you no longer miss anything by getting to 50, and it opens the entire game to you. I understand why people want to be 50 again.

Anyone rushing to 50 to see the "endgame" is gonna be sad though, yeah.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Been having fun with my new SS/WP Brute:

It's a bit simpler than I'd like, but there isn't a whole lot of crossover between the girl model and the big buff model.

Still, it's enough to do this:

Oh hey, saw you in Atlas.

Edit: And yeah, I do the same thing with my SJ/WP brute Milton. Love the small to big.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I asked this on the main forums but I'll repost here as goons may (probably) know better:

So I've been seeing some conflicting opinions and was hoping to get some clarification. I know the accepted advice has generally been to load a bunch of procs into your AoEs. However, there was also apparently a change made regarding procs per minute that may make that not as efficient for damage.

So my question: How/what should I slot procs in for damage? Is there still a benefit to having multiple procs in the same power or do they all share space in the PPM calculation? Are there some powers that are better than others for slotting procs? For example, my Plant/storm has procs loaded in Freezing Rain and Roots. Would I be better off moving the procs, say from Roots to Carrion Creepers?

Old_Screwtape
Nov 18, 2014

Hakarne posted:

I asked this on the main forums but I'll repost here as goons may (probably) know better:

So I've been seeing some conflicting opinions and was hoping to get some clarification. I know the accepted advice has generally been to load a bunch of procs into your AoEs. However, there was also apparently a change made regarding procs per minute that may make that not as efficient for damage.

So my question: How/what should I slot procs in for damage? Is there still a benefit to having multiple procs in the same power or do they all share space in the PPM calculation? Are there some powers that are better than others for slotting procs? For example, my Plant/storm has procs loaded in Freezing Rain and Roots. Would I be better off moving the procs, say from Roots to Carrion Creepers?

Others can probably give a more mathematical answer, but I try to give a good enough one in the meantime. The major change is that in i24 beta, procs changed from a percent chance to activate to a PPM. I don't remember the exact calculation off-hand, but basically procs are more valuable in powers that have a longer recharge (for example, the calculation forces a proc to activate in a power with a longer than one minute recharge to maintain the approx. PPM); at the same time the calculation discounts for AoEs (one of the variables is divided by the max number of targets, I think), so it is no longer good to overload an AoE with damage procs, hoping enough (or all) would trigger every time you activated the power. While you aren't strictly wasting your time putting procs into AoEs, you should probably be doing so for the set bonus rather than hoping to trigger them all. As for swapping around procs from roots/freezing rain into carrion creepers, they're all AoEs so the same issues apply and aren't worth bothering except to evenly distribute the procs rather than concentrate them in particular powers.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

also stalkers should stick their hide proc in assassin strike for super obvious reasons regardless of any of that nerd poo poo

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Old_Screwtape posted:

I don't remember the exact calculation off-hand, but basically procs are more valuable in powers that have a longer recharge (for example, the calculation forces a proc to activate in a power with a longer than one minute recharge to maintain the approx.
They're not more valuable in longer recharge powers, they're exactly as valuable. Although with long recharge you can control when they trigger to some extent, which is handy for certain things (gaussian's build up for example).

A flat percentage massively favoured short cooldowns, since a 10% chance every 3 seconds is more than 10% every 10 seconds (numbers out my rear end just for an example). With PPM, it'll trigger on average the same number of times whatever power it's slotted in.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 3, 2019

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
So, with the levelling talk, should I not just be going through my contacts and doing missions for them? Because I did DFB once, then just have been puttering around with my robot buddies, atlas park to king's row to steel canyon. I think I did the 3 radio missions then one bank robbery thing, but I couldn't really figure out how to do the "side quests" in that instance.

I tried one of the first TF's at like level 13 solo (the one where you deal with the lost, don't know the name), and got about two or three missions in before I couldn't do anything. Was debating trying the positron TF (level 18 now, i realize i'm overlevelled for it). As I understand it, TF's are solo-able now? I'm not in a rush to 50, it's just that doing random contact missions is kind of boring. What I remember from playing back in the day is TF's taking 8 hours plus, that's also different now, as I understand?

PUPPY PUZZLE
Jun 22, 2002

I AM THE MOON posted:

also stalkers should stick their hide proc in assassin strike for super obvious reasons regardless of any of that nerd poo poo

if you don't it actually kinda breaks assassin's focus. if the proc re-hides you, and you get enough stacks of focus for instant-AS, it will try to longcast AS and waste it because you're hidden

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

PUPPY PUZZLE posted:

if you don't it actually kinda breaks assassin's focus. if the proc re-hides you, and you get enough stacks of focus for instant-AS, it will try to longcast AS and waste it because you're hidden

yeah. also if youre not initiating you should have a backup "opener" like Kinetic's Burst or Concentrated Strike bc longcast AS sucks rear end!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
So what's up with this patron power thing and when can I shoot sharks out of my dick?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

boxen posted:

So, with the levelling talk, should I not just be going through my contacts and doing missions for them? Because I did DFB once, then just have been puttering around with my robot buddies, atlas park to king's row to steel canyon. I think I did the 3 radio missions then one bank robbery thing, but I couldn't really figure out how to do the "side quests" in that instance.

I tried one of the first TF's at like level 13 solo (the one where you deal with the lost, don't know the name), and got about two or three missions in before I couldn't do anything. Was debating trying the positron TF (level 18 now, i realize i'm overlevelled for it). As I understand it, TF's are solo-able now? I'm not in a rush to 50, it's just that doing random contact missions is kind of boring. What I remember from playing back in the day is TF's taking 8 hours plus, that's also different now, as I understand?

The true but useless answer is "do whatever you find fun." But since you seem to be asking for some direction (which is distinct from speed), here's some options.

First of all, those side missions in the Safeguards. The map is mostly made up of one kind of bad guy, but there's small groups of a different kind lurking about. For example, normally when you do a Safeguard in Skyway City, the enemies are Trolls, but sometimes there's little groups of Lost lurking about. Beat down the entire spawn of them, and you get a key. You can then go and stop whatever it is they're trying to do (rob a store, do a weapons deal, blow up a building, et cetera) to get more time. I have no idea what happens if you do one of these before you save the bank, because the way Safeguards are set up, you go save the bank promptly, then you spend the rest of the time you have left "patrolling the city" to stop various petty crimes, and that's when the time left comes into play. The locations for the enemies you need to stomp on are fixed, as are the locations of the places where the side missions spawn. You can find them yourself, but there are maps. You can also install a map pack but I never bothered -- I have a second monitor, gently caress it good enough.

For Task Forces, some of them are indeed Too loving Long, because they were made back before the devs realized that "let's call it a night here and reconvene tomorrow" was a short way of saying "let's have our characters stuck in limbo on this loving thing because our schedules will never match up again until we all say gently caress IT and abandon it." Most TFs shouldn't take that long, and if they do it's because too many of the people involved are morons and/or the team leader has the difficulty cranked way too high and won't turn it down ("look at the great XP!" they will proclaim, ignoring that every single spawn is a five minute slog that kills half the team, and they'd be getting XP faster if they could buzzsaw through things efficiently). TFs are not intended to be soloable, but one of the changes that came with Homecoming is the people in charge realizing "gently caress it, people try to, and maybe they can, so we'll just let them start this poo poo on their own." I do not know if the resulting missions listen to your difficulty settings or if they always spawn for the minimum required group size, though.

For more directed levelling, you will sometimes have contacts call you up and offer you missions. Laura Lockhart, for example, offers a mission about putting an end to the Fifth Column and the Council kicking the poo poo out of each other, could you maybe stop them before the collateral damage becomes a problem please? She's level 15-24. There's also Field Agent Keith Nance, who will talk to you from 20 to 29, who wants to have some words with you (mostly "you're under arrest for SUPERCRIMES, please come quietly"), and the plotline goes on from there. The 20-29 band also has Roy Cooling, who needs your help handling some issues with the Medi-Porter technology that is the game's handwave for why you don't stay dead when you die.

Each of the zones that are not part of the usual launch list also have their own storylines to follow, too. Usually you can get a marker pointing you in the right direction when you get there. At level 18, that puts you barely in range for Faultline. Go speak to Jim Temblor there, and that'll kick things off. He's the first contact, then you get another, and you do Contact #3 once you hit 20, and then the fourth and final contact. Striga Island starts at 20, seek out Stephanie Peebles. Same thing as before: finish her stuff, she sends you to another contact and you finish that guy's stuff, and then at 25 you finish the last two contacts.

I especially suggest doing Faultline, because completing the second contact opens up a special shop where you can buy SOs ahead of schedule, although the kind you can use depends on origin: Natural and Mutation get Damage, Science gets Recharge, Tech gets Endurance, and Magic gets Accuracy. I think the second half of Faultline also grants you the "Entrusted with the Secret" badge, which is useful because it grants you an Ouroborous portal. Ouroborous are basically Time Cops, and their intended purpose is "this is how you replay content you missed or just want to do again," but they're largely a rapid transit system. But if you just want to get the portal, just ask for a portal near any dense crowd and be over level 14. Once you're inside, get on top of the highest part of the spire (don't worry, it's not hard; especially if you can fly or superjump) and you get your very own portal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

boxen posted:

TFs will set you down to the maximum level, if you're higher. You don't even stop earning XP if you don't want. TFs are soloable in that they'll start with any number of players but spawn for the previous minimum, so soloing posi 1 still gives you three people to punch.

Only power level if you're dissatisfied with where you are now. Play what you want, there's plenty of game to play.

Unlike villain bank missions, hero bank missions don't put side missions on the map until after you've stopped the main robbery. Like villain bank missions, every map has a place for 5 but until you're doing L45ish maps they won't all spawn.