Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sammyv
Nov 8, 2010
I'm emerging from my posting slumber to say that, as a Brit, I feel that a mild chuckle has been stolen from my life owing to an inability to recognise the twee cuteness of Squirrel Girl's name. One of the SG trades is called 'Squirrel, you know it's true', which initially struck me as a cumbersome and oddly chosen reference. Were I American, I might have laughed for a brief instant, and I need those instances, lads, I really do.

Still, we'll always have Craig. Good name, Craig. Easy to pronounce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

sammyv posted:

I'm emerging from my posting slumber to say that, as a Brit, I feel that a mild chuckle has been stolen from my life owing to an inability to recognise the twee cuteness of Squirrel Girl's name. One of the SG trades is called 'Squirrel, you know it's true', which initially struck me as a cumbersome and oddly chosen reference. Were I American, I might have laughed for a brief instant, and I need those instances, lads, I really do.

Yeah, I never even realised it rhymed in American English until I saw people arguing about it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

sammyv posted:

That is the greatest reference of all time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What if I told you Ryan North is Canadian

sammyv
Nov 8, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

What if I told you Ryan North is Canadian

In the back of my mind I knew that, but the front of my mind rebelled. I bet Canada has some quality squirrels. Here in England, all of our lovely red squirrels were Game Of Thrones-ed by the grey ones.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the black squirrels basically killed all the other squirrels in (my part of) Canada. You get some grey ones but not a lot of red ones.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jordan7hm posted:

Yeah the black squirrels basically killed all the other squirrels in (my part of) Canada. You get some grey ones but not a lot of red ones.

We have a large population of black and brown squirrels in my neighborhood and they will frequently get into fights in our yard.

My wife does not appreciate when I yell "HONEY CHECK IT OUT RACE WAR" every time it happens.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jordan7hm posted:

You also get the rare white squirrel. There's a coffee shop in the west end of Toronto named after the lone one that seems to live in the area.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Big 3 #1 (1940)

Triumph Comics #31 (1946)

Adventures into the Unknown #1 (1948)

OMAC #3 (1975)

The Man of Steel #1 (1986)

Impulse #35 (1998)

Superman's Nemesis: Lex Luthor #3 (1999)

Marvel Divas #4 (2009)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Android Blues posted:

In Britain, that's just how you say it. "Squir-el".

If you have a heavy Glaswegian accent it might still rhyme with "girrul", though!

Wouldn't it depend on where you are in the UK as well? In south Wales we tend to roll our rs so it's squi-rrrel.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I pronounce it squ-oil but i also say goil so it still rhymes.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Darthemed posted:

Marvel Divas #4 (2009)
Missed opportunity to have Spider-Woman doing the same stretch but her feet are on the wall. And her yoga mat is staying on the wall because spidey science something something.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Push El Burrito posted:

Only correct answer here.

bessantj posted:

Wouldn't it depend on where you are in the UK as well? In south Wales we tend to roll our rs so it's squi-rrrel.

Yeah, for sure. In a heavy Glaswegian accent, you do a tapped r, which is pretty similar.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Android Blues posted:

Yeah, for sure. In a heavy Glaswegian accent, you do a tapped r, which is pretty similar.

Is that the same accent as Rab C Nesbitt?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

CannonFodder posted:

Missed opportunity to have Spider-Woman doing the same stretch but her feet are on the wall. And her yoga mat is staying on the wall because spidey science something something.

That or... Well, Kamala wasn't around in 1999... Uhhh... Mercury stretching all the way across the room.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
That's a lot of samebody in the panel, could've at least put some effort on She-Hulk

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Got a request for the panels where Thor is mistaken for Spider-man at a construction job I think. Tried all the Google permutations I could think of and got zero hits

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

mercenarynuker posted:

Got a request for the panels where Thor is mistaken for Spider-man at a construction job I think. Tried all the Google permutations I could think of and got zero hits

I don't have them, but it's from relatively early in Walt Simonson's run if that helps your googling.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Android Blues posted:

I'm from near Glasgow, live in Fife and work in Edinburgh and I feel like most people I know rhyme the two. Though in Fife it's more Skwirruhl Girruhl.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

mercenarynuker posted:

Bonus:

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

Thanks! Knew I could count on the Funny Panels thread to have my back

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also, when Nick Fury was setting Thor up with his secret identity in the first place, they happened to bump into a group of reporters and Thor knocks over some jamoke

Phy fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 3, 2019

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Phy posted:

Also, when Nick Fury was setting Thor up with his secret identity in the first place, they happened to bump into a group of reporters and Thor knocks over some jamoke

I need the panels just before that.

:D

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Gokushufudou Chapter 26, Immortal Tatsu gets a visit from his old Yakuza boss

Read right-to-left

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Push El Burrito posted:

You can only get away with that if you're wearing a derby.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Alacron posted:

Read right-to-left

Came here to post these exact panels.

Ya did good kid

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Esplanade posted:

You can only get away with that if you're wearing a derby.

*doiby

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Phy posted:

*doiby

Woise goiy, ey?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Infinitum posted:

Came here to post these exact panels.

Ya did good kid

That is the good poo poo

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

No idea, came from Tales from Weirdland twitter.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Alacron posted:

Read right-to-left

God, I love this series. The roomba comic was absolutely amazing.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

evilmiera posted:

No idea, came from Tales from Weirdland twitter.

The full thing is even better. I'm sure it's been posted here before.

There's even a voice-acted version!

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler

Begemot posted:

It's as if a child wrote it.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I think it's meant to be an intentionally overdramatic and overstated performance, give then first panel's "ON THE STAGE..." introduction box. Like, a parody of bad stageplays.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Begemot posted:

Axe-Cop's old timey detective great grandpappy, ladies and gentlemen.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Yeah, that's from a Johnny Thunder story in Flash Comics #13, in which Johnny and his girlfriend go to see a hokey mystery show before getting caught up in the actual plot. The Golden Age Johnny Thunders are all pretty fun-- Johnny's absurd miracle-granting powers are never as baroquely majestic as The Spectre's, and the quirky elements of self-awareness and farce are never as funny or sharp as in Jack Cole's stuff, but Wentworth and Aschmeier do a good job of finding something sort of in between. It's something that really feels like an exciting and odd byproduct of a genre figuring itself out.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 5, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

prefect posted:

I need the panels just before that.

:D

Ha, I have a few older family members who call glasses cheaters too.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://twitter.com/neilaglet/status/1136275610240790528

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And in a shock to no one, it's better than Slotts work on the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

So who is going to get the bottom-left panel as an avatar?