Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Powered Descent posted:

Ran across a page with some hideously bad information about password strength, but the real crime here is the presentation of the (laughably wrong) data.

https://www.betterbuys.com/estimating-password-cracking-times/

Context: computers have gotten faster as the years go by, so the amount of time it would take to brute-force a particular password has correspondingly dropped. Let's see, how best to convey that to the reader...

I'm speechless.

What are the odds that this site is designed to have people put their actual passwords in and steal them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

kazil posted:

What are the odds that this site is designed to have people put their actual passwords in and steal them?

Quite high. Which is why you'd better send your passwords to me, I'm the official Password Inspector. It's the most reliable method of finding out if your password has been compromised!

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
People overthink this poo poo. Use https://mostsecure.pw/

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I just follow the advice in the article and use P@ssw0rd for everything. It's safe for one ISO standard Mount Rushmore carving time span.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don’t know my own SA password

Clearly my account is the safest of all

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I don’t know my own SA password

Clearly my account is the safest of all

You should have done what I did and made it the same as your username. No forgetting it then!

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Everyone post your passwords so we can figure out how strong they are

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

u: peanut butler
p: imabouttogohamonanentirelargepizzainmybedroomalone

its easy to remember because thats just how i get into the posting mindset

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

I just follow the advice in the article and use P@ssw0rd for everything. It's safe for one ISO standard Mount Rushmore carving time span.

It's annoying that this kind of bad password logic has persisted for so long. There's no reason these days for anything to have a character limit in how long your passwords can be and it's so much easier to just teach the logic of "longer is better". A password like "ThisIsMyPasswordPleaseRememberIt" is so much more secure than "P@sSw0rD" and yet also much less of a pain in the rear end to remember.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

TinTower posted:

See also: transcendental numbers as a whole.
But transcendental numbers aren't whole.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It's annoying that this kind of bad password logic has persisted for so long. There's no reason these days for anything to have a character limit in how long your passwords can be and it's so much easier to just teach the logic of "longer is better". A password like "ThisIsMyPasswordPleaseRememberIt" is so much more secure than "P@sSw0rD" and yet also much less of a pain in the rear end to remember.

A lot of attacks will be dictionary attacks that make all the common and not-so-common substitutions as well, so "P@ssw0rD" is basically just as garbage as "Password". Everyone should use a password manager that generates random 16-32 character passwords and secure it with a six word passphrase, preferably also randomly generated.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

cyber security lifehack: burn your computer, live in the woods, be free

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Goon Danton posted:

cyber security lifehack: burn your computer, live in the woods, be free

And yet you posted from a computer

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Mr. Fix It posted:

A lot of attacks will be dictionary attacks that make all the common and not-so-common substitutions as well, so "P@ssw0rD" is basically just as garbage as "Password". Everyone should use a password manager that generates random 16-32 character passwords and secure it with a six word passphrase, preferably also randomly generated.

This is severely lacking in biometric key fobs

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

And yet you posted from a computer

goon danton sacrifices their freedom for the sake of all

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mr. Fix It posted:

Yeah I was ignoring dictionary attacks there because obviously any variation on "Password" is even worse than just random characters of an equal length. It's just that even ignoring that, no matter how many special characters you throw into your short password, a long password with no special characters at all will be stronger.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

I whisper my posts to a raccoon who found an old compaq presario in a dumpster

The birds sing your responses to me

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I was ignoring dictionary attacks there because obviously any variation on "Password" is even worse than just random characters of an equal length. It's just that even ignoring that, no matter how many special characters you throw into your short password, a long password with no special characters at all will be stronger.

I figured as much, I was just adding supplementary info. That site is an absolute scam.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Goon Danton posted:

I whisper my posts to a raccoon who found an old compaq presario in a dumpster

The birds sing your responses to me

Well someone needs to show the people your shitposts, they're well worth seeing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Peanut Butler posted:

u: peanut butler
p: imabouttogohamonanentirelarg3pizzainmybedroomalone!

I increased your password security tenfold

Furia
Jul 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I use a password manager and it annoys me when a website’s all like “oh no your password’s too long plz make it 15 characters at most”

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
One of my fave SA memories is when like hundreds or thousands of goons got hacked bc they had SA passwords like “password” and “123456”, and Lowtax got pissed and instituted absurd password requirements. It was like “15 character minimum with uppercase, lower case, numbers, and symbols”

What you get out of hacking someone’s SA account I do not understand. Maybe you could hack an admin and permaban all your Posting Enemies?

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

One of my fave SA memories is when like hundreds or thousands of goons got hacked bc they had SA passwords like “password” and “123456”, and Lowtax got pissed and instituted absurd password requirements. It was like “15 character minimum with uppercase, lower case, numbers, and symbols”

What you get out of hacking someone’s SA account I do not understand. Maybe you could hack an admin and permaban all your Posting Enemies?

Report every mod hundreds of times

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The clever thing to do is to set your password to 123456 now. No-one will try this thing twice.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Bobby droptables the Library of Congress.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Powered Descent posted:

Yeah I do it too but I'm smart enough to know you're not supposed to tell anyone, idiot

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Powered Descent posted:

Doesn't ASCII include lower, upper, and numbers? How does one combine those with it? At least if it said unicode you could do some emoji action...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Raldikuk posted:

Doesn't ASCII include lower, upper, and numbers? How does one combine those with it? At least if it said unicode you could do some emoji action...

Control characters, obviously.

ALL PASSWORDS MUST FEATURE AT LEAST ONE BACKSPACE (b1000).

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Our children’s children’s passwords will be all emojis, which they will use to log in to their Mickey’s twitbooklrin chrome primeflix accounts to livestream their being boiled alive in the rising oceans, which they choose to wade into because they will all be virtue-signaling SJWs

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Our children’s children’s passwords will be all emojis, which they will use to log in to their Mickey’s twitbooklrin chrome primeflix accounts to livestream their being boiled alive in the rising oceans, which they choose to wade into because they will all be virtue-signaling SJWs

Yikes

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Our children’s children’s passwords will be all emojis, which they will use to log in to their Mickey’s twitbooklrin chrome primeflix accounts to livestream their being boiled alive in the rising oceans, which they choose to wade into because they will all be virtue-signaling skeletons

the sjw->skeleton extension is on point here

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Raldikuk posted:

@
It's even colourcoded

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

how are you this bad at posting

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

:chloe:

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Why is 2007 faster than 2008-2011.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Fathis Munk posted:

Why is 2007 faster than 2008-2011.

the recession made computer time more expensive

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Goddamn I just noticed the all the seconds entries that are greater than 60. And the milliseconds that go from very precise (hundredths) to not at all, then randomly a tenth in there.

This has to be a photoshop or troll, right? Not just stupidly bad data.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

No Safe Word posted:

Goddamn I just noticed the all the seconds entries that are greater than 60.

All the ones over 60 aren't just seconds, they're second seconds.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
i'm the miliseconds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Captain Hygiene posted:

All the ones over 60 aren't just seconds, they're second seconds.

I thought the entire second column of seconds was the second seconds, but now I understand they're just the second second's second seconds.