Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I got an Opticor Riven pretty early, and rolled the hell out of it until I landed on:
173.4% Damage
67.8% Fire Rate
47.5% Damage to infested
-91.7% Status Duration

Is this generally acceptable or should I keep rolling? Is the status duration penalty that bad? It seems to kill pretty drat well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
I need some advice I reckon. I'm at a point where I'm struggling with some void missions solo. I've got a few potatoes available to shove into a frame (volt or rhino probably) but idk if I really have the mods available to get much out of it. I've started doing nightmare missions to try and get some slightly better ones but nothing really stands out. Got a couple of good rifle and pistol mods, nothing much for frames.

I don't know if instead I should be focussing on nabbing a couple of better weapons - still using atomos and hek when stuff needs killing. The hek has a few goon gifted mods and a potato. Atomos is potatoed with stuff I've found along the way.

Or maybe I should be trying to get a particular frame. I've got frost, Oberon, volt and rhino (not many I know, I should really hunt down more) but I've no idea what.

Or maybe I should be hunting down particular mods to make what I've got better. Basically just need a point in the right direction.

I'm MR7 with all planets unlocked - still need to get around to unlocking all the nodes tho, its hard to motivate myself to do certain ones like AW/spy/whatever

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Sardonik posted:

I got an Opticor Riven pretty early, and rolled the hell out of it until I landed on:
173.4% Damage
67.8% Fire Rate
47.5% Damage to infested
-91.7% Status Duration

Is this generally acceptable or should I keep rolling? Is the status duration penalty that bad? It seems to kill pretty drat well.
a year ago it would have been awesome because the opticor is poo poo at proccing status, but the opticor vandal is actually a hybrid weapon

the one status that doesn't care about negative duration is corrosive, so maybe go with that if you're using the vandal? idk

e: I literally forgot Blast exists, that also doesn't really care about status

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Soothing Vapors posted:

e: I literally forgot Blast exists, that also doesn't really care about status

That sounds pretty sweet, I'll try to build around that, thanks.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

el dingo posted:

I need some advice I reckon. I'm at a point where I'm struggling with some void missions solo. I've got a few potatoes available to shove into a frame (volt or rhino probably) but idk if I really have the mods available to get much out of it. I've started doing nightmare missions to try and get some slightly better ones but nothing really stands out. Got a couple of good rifle and pistol mods, nothing much for frames.

I don't know if instead I should be focussing on nabbing a couple of better weapons - still using atomos and hek when stuff needs killing. The hek has a few goon gifted mods and a potato. Atomos is potatoed with stuff I've found along the way.

Or maybe I should be trying to get a particular frame. I've got frost, Oberon, volt and rhino (not many I know, I should really hunt down more) but I've no idea what.

Or maybe I should be hunting down particular mods to make what I've got better. Basically just need a point in the right direction.

I'm MR7 with all planets unlocked - still need to get around to unlocking all the nodes tho, its hard to motivate myself to do certain ones like AW/spy/whatever

Unless there's a specific reason why you're going solo, don't. This will solve most of your problems. If someone's using a weapon/frame that looks cool, check out what it is on the post-battle screen and go after it. If you're curious about what mods to get, hop on the discord and ask. I don't mean to sound rude or dismissive, but I also started out expecting to go solo and it's just not really what this game is for.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sardonik posted:

173.4% Damage
67.8% Fire Rate
47.5% Damage to infested
-91.7% Status Duration

I'd keep rolling. +Infested is a worthless stat and -SD is pretty bad for the Opticor Vandal. Fire Rate is better on the Opticor than it is for most guns since it's a charge weapon, but it's still not ideal compared to most other damage-multiplying stats.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
My go to Frames are: Valkyr, Gara, Frost, Saryn, and Inaros.

As for Primary weapons: Arca Plasmor, Tonkor, Stradivar Prime, Ignis Wraith, Opticor Vandal, and Rubico Prime

Secondary weapons: AKMagnus, Prisma Twin Grimlins, and a Catchmoon Kitgun

Melee: Paracesis and Lesion

I will run with some other stuff, but those are the ones I go back to. The non-prime/wraith/vandal version of those guns are pretty decent too if you can't get the upgrades.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
SSF warframe sounds absolutely dreadful and i don't get why so many players, let alone beginners who are going to be insanely clueless and lost, are apparently so into the idea of smashing their head into this game's obfuscated and non-euclidean walls. But i guess when it comes to masochism that's a relatively mild variant to go for.

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 3, 2019

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Sardonik posted:

173.4% Damage
67.8% Fire Rate
47.5% Damage to infested
-91.7% Status Duration

Go all in on Crit Chance+Crit Damage. Oneshot wonders like Opticor benefit from earth-shattering crits. Do not build for status, status primaries are almost always terrible unless they're shotguns or Glaxion V so that -status duration is actually a good thing.

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

Enemy animations being effected by status duration on blast status would be pretty fuckin comedy. Really slow falls or mooks slamming their faces into the ground and trampolining back up in a quarter second.

el dingo posted:

The last arm of the void, with Mot and such, has all of the enemies doing like three times normal damage. So that might be part of what you're running in to.

Nightmare missions are a good thing to do as soon as you feel comfortable doing them. You'll get different rewards from different difficulty tiers of nightmare missions too, or at least they use to work that way. So if you're missing some specific nightmare mods you can look them up on the wiki and see what level range/planet nodes have them in their drop tables. You could also hit up goons for derelict vault runs to nab you some corrupted mods. They're just as essential as nightmare mods for builds, especially frame builds. It's also usually fairly painless to a get a group together for at least a few runs, some corrupted mods sell alright. These two things should help round out your mod collection up until you're only missing really rare stuff, most of which is nice or fun stuff after you've got all the nightmare and corrupted mods you want.

The four frames you have are all really really good, but I'd say all but Rhino require a bit of investment that you might not have the resources for right now (potatoes, tomatoes, the mod you're seeking right now, two or four forma). Volt has several different builds depending on the content you're using him in, Rhino could be similar but really his shtick is making that iron skin as absurd as possible and there are a couple augments that can really help here. Frost is easy to make good and kinda weird to make silly good imo, he has to build to focus on a play style kinda like Volt but doesn't have quite the variety of use. Oberon is crazy good right now, but from what I understand making him obscene takes some expensive arcanes and he may or may not have a few different builds people use depending on content.

But at MR7 you have access to any frame except Banshee Prime, Mirage Prime, and Oberon Prime (at least this is what the wiki tells me, it's chart feels wrong to me but I'm dumb and have a bad memory). You could grab Nezha, Zephyr, and Banshee from the clan dojo. Zephyr is good for open world stuff if you don't have an AW launcher yet, and Nezha is like a speedy Rhino with different play options and team support.

Focusing on stuff in Warframe is weird because some things have reasonable grinds and some are RNG as all gently caress. I'd say you're doing well right now if you're focusing on getting nightmare mods you don't have, or simply expanding your arsenal. Honestly I'd say work on that, build a Nezha or farm any other frame that looks neat to you, if you feel like any of that is getting a little aggravating then see if you can get a group to just go out and do some fissure missions and crack relics. Work your way through whatever quests you have available. You can probably start doing the sortie soon if you haven't already, a nice hek and an atomos is enough to make your way through most sortie missions, especially with goons.

Honestly it sounds like you're going about things fine. Just need a little build up before you head out and do eidolons and orb moms and then it's all trying out new gear and fashion frame.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

SSF warframe sounds absolutely dreadful and i don't get why so many players, let alone beginners who are going to be insanely clueless and lost, are apparently so into the idea of smashing their head into this game's obfuscated and non-euclidean walls. But i guess when it comes to masochism that's a relatively mild variant to go for.

'Solo Self Found' for those wondering.

Ya Warframe was never meant to be played like Path of Exile, though I do still hope that Nightwave begins acting a little bit more like PoE seasons just without a reset. Put Delve in WF and make them dark sectors.

FunkyFjord fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jun 3, 2019

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Holy gently caress, I cannot express how miserable that Vay Hek fight is. I think it literally took over a half hour. :qq:

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

prefect posted:

Holy gently caress, I cannot express how miserable that Vay Hek fight is. I think it literally took over a half hour. :qq:

Run past him each time until the final room

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

prefect posted:

He's part knowledge check of something that's never explained (the entire chase sequence is 100% skippable, just keep moving forward) and part out-of-depth gear check (a level ~35 boss in a mostly level 1-10 planet). Eventually he becomes completely trivial. Before then, I just wouldn't bother; ever since DE nerfed loot powers Hydroid is mostly obsoleted by Khora anyways.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

prefect posted:

Use Oberon. Run straight to the last room and jump up on that round platform. Put down some grass so he can't drain your energy, then use Renewal to tank while you just stand there and shoot him in the face. His final form can be instantly defeated by using Reckoning to strip his armor as soon as the cutscene ends, then spamming Smite three times.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

WebDO posted:

Run past him each time until the final room
WHAT

WebDO
Sep 25, 2009

I'm sorry you didn't mention how poo poo it was so somebody could help you in real time but yes, seriously.

Run to the final room, skip the 18 fights with him you can skip.

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

You guys say to use Bandhee with redeemer, but I did one better and used Velocitus.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

WebDO posted:

I'm sorry you didn't mention how poo poo it was so somebody could help you in real time but yes, seriously.

Run to the final room, skip the 18 fights with him you can skip.

This is some Fortuna Elevator poo poo.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Ive pubbed vay hek in sorties a couple times and hardly anyone seems to realize you can just run past the first couple fights, its insane

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

njsykora posted:

This is some Fortuna Elevator poo poo.

Wait, what's this about the Fortuna elevator?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Unperson_47 posted:

Wait, what's this about the Fortuna elevator?

There's an elevator you can use to get up to where Ticker is. Rebb used it on a Devstream one time and not even Sheldon knew about it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I THOUGHT IT WAS JUST A VERY STEEP RAMP OKAY

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

el dingo posted:

For frames I recommend thinking of something you like to have all the time. For me I like to have fast paced aggressive gameplay, so I started with Excalibur and then quickly got Valkyr (and later Valkyr Prime) because she is all about that fast aggressive gameplay. I also love Atlas and Garuda for the same reason. If you are unsure, just build whatever becomes available. There's no bad frames (except Wukong).

For everything else, just get into the discord and talk with the goons there. Goons got me to where I am now, they can do the same for you.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Flavahbeast posted:

Ive pubbed vay hek in sorties a couple times and hardly anyone seems to realize you can just run past the first couple fights, its insane

You can skip over him, but the damage you're not dealing in those three pit stops, is damage you have to do in the final room anyways. So its kind of a wash.

My biggest complaint about him has always been his huge invuln windows.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

He's part knowledge check of something that's never explained (the entire chase sequence is 100% skippable, just keep moving forward) and part out-of-depth gear check (a level ~35 boss in a mostly level 1-10 planet). Eventually he becomes completely trivial. Before then, I just wouldn't bother; ever since DE nerfed loot powers Hydroid is mostly obsoleted by Khora anyways.

Might be sortie Hek, who is also such a goddamn bullet sponge.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Hobold posted:

You can skip over him, but the damage you're not dealing in those three pit stops, is damage you have to do in the final room anyways. So its kind of a wash.

My biggest complaint about him has always been his huge invuln windows.

oh, good to know, I just assumed he reset in each phase

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I'm so glad that Mag bubbles just clown a whole range of these bosses. Ambulas, Hek, Mutalad, etc

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Beginners do it for two reasons, one misconception one pretty reasonable.

The misconception is that they'll anger/annoy their teammates. This is a substantiated belief if you're an experienced gamer, because it's the right move in the majority of games, and it's very easy to not know that WF, specifically, has a really chill playerbase.

The reasonable thing is that if you're playing with players who are way way more experienced and geared than you, it reduces most missions to, in effect, loading screens. Which is boring and unfun.

el dingo posted:

So your base gear - weapons and frames both - are excellent. All of those frames are top tier, and Hek and Atomos can easily carry you to the ends of the map and beyond.

If you're struggling with staying alive and damage, it's either lack of mods or lack of levels in mods (i.e. serration being only rank 5 instead of like rank 8).

There are some nightmare mods that are really good, but the mods that make frames in particular shine are the corrupted mods from Orokin Derelict. For the love of heaven do not farm those mods solo. Join a group, if only because the chambers have to be manually found. Goon groups are best for this, pubbies will take much longer to coordinate.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
You can fight Vay Hek before the final room after the water pipe? This seems like a sarcastic question but I didn't even know that was possible.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

you can shoot at him when he pops up and harasses you along the way

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
I’ve spent so long beelining for the final room that I seem to have forgotten that was an option.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

i killed him and got a pineapple

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
First time I ran him was with a Nezha + Corinth with a heavy Blast damage build. I spent 10 minutes lost in that pipe maze tile and then like 30 seconds at each fight stage, each phase was over before I realised. I think my record when I was farming for Hydroid was something like 3 minutes total.

Also I've been flipping back to Gara for high starmap Defence missions and drat, had I forgotten how amazing she is. Nezha is easy to just e z mode by just pressing 3 all the time, but Gara really feels nice and all her skills just synergise really well. 2, 4, 1, repeat, top the damage charts and never die. Even her three can just shut down a chokepoint at the same time. My favourite new trick is using her four to trap friendly NPCs in open world bounties so I don't have to follow them around on defend missions.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

*is covered alive in molten glass*
"We're here to protect you!"

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Spectrorage inexplicably works insanely well on demolysts -- if its range is big enough that the pulse can't destroy it, the demos will (usually) just stagger around endlessly shooting at mirrors. Gara good.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Soothing Vapors posted:

Spectrorage inexplicably works insanely well on demolysts -- if its range is big enough that the pulse can't destroy it, the demos will (usually) just stagger around endlessly shooting at mirrors. Gara good.

between having the only cc that works well on demolyst and being the frame that loses 10 million stacks if you hit a Nullifier, Gara may be the biggest gap between how much players notice and how much the devs notice

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Playing Gara on Disruption and meeting a nullifier from around the corner is the fastest one’s face goes from “yeah!” to “noooo” next to hearing the phrase “the condom broke.” I might use Pox just because of the sheer amount of bubbles.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Synthbuttrange posted:

*is covered alive in molten glass*
"We're here to protect you!"
I love the (unspoken) flavor of Warframe. Especially things like invasion missions. Imagine being Corpus drone #2,744,853, you've heard of the Tenno, but you've never had the misfortune of meeting one. Suddenly a small derelict intercepts your ship and you're dealing with swarms of infested, trying to fight them back, when some of the famed Tenno crash through your ship, incinerating, mind controlling, and plaguing the infested, blowing past you at a hundred miles an hour, calling down heavy artillery, going toe to toe with the infested with swords and axes, and...then they're gone. Those mythical foes saved your ship from an infested annihilation and didn't touch a single one of your shipmates. Maybe they're not so bad?

Then you see the news ticker and they've killed six million Corpus this week.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

necrobobsledder posted:

Playing Gara on Disruption and meeting a nullifier from around the corner is the fastest one’s face goes from “yeah!” to “noooo” next to hearing the phrase “the condom broke.” I might use Pox just because of the sheer amount of bubbles.

Miter is, no joke, one of my top weapons for high level content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gaj70
Jan 26, 2013

Elysiume posted:

You can fight Vay Hek before the final room after the water pipe? This seems like a sarcastic question but I didn't even know that was possible.

If you skip the fights, do you get the nice "run here next" HUD icons?