Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

KataraniSword posted:

If you only have classes that would need to rely on unequipped criticals (really only just Thief, White Mage and Geomancer, though Berserker's uncontrollable nature makes Axes just as bad of an option too) then your chances are so close to 0 that you might as well not even try.

Geomancer has Rune Chime!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ritznit
Dec 19, 2012

I'm crackers for cheese.

Ultra Carp
Will all the goon-made pledges for run incentives get put into the OP?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Ritznit posted:

Will all the goon-made pledges for run incentives get put into the OP?

Yeah they're going in the third post

MagusDraco fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 1, 2019

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1134837933318369282
If you voted yesterday, re-do your vote.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Monk, Berserker, Ranger, Dragoon let's get into the misery

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Is the only difference between #forbidden and #fifthjob that with #forbidden, you lose a random job whereas with #fifthjob, it's always the Earth one?

And is it possible to get more than one Advance job on #regAdvance?

Samuel Clemens fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 1, 2019

Ablative
Nov 9, 2012

Someone is getting this as an avatar. I don't know who, but it's gonna happen.

Samuel Clemens posted:

Is the only difference between #forbidden and #fifthjob that with #forbidden, you lose a random job whereas with #fifthjob, it's always the Earth one?

And is it possible to get more than one Advance job on #regAdvance?

You don't get a job to replace the one you lose on Forbidden, you just end with three jobs.

Also no, because they're put into the Earth slot, and it runs otherwise on Normal rules, i.e. one from each crystal.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Oh yeah, I forgot that #forbidden just removes a job entirely. Thanks.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Alxprit posted:

I wasn't able to beat Omega on my run two years ago with Red Mage White Mage Chemist and Geomancer, seems like. Couldn't find a way to do reasonable amounts of damage or survive super well. Here's hoping for a successful triple crown this year.

Omega and Shinryu are no match for the power of chemistry.

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

Now, the real challenge is the Sealed Temple if you're lucky enough to get the right classes... :getin:

And masochistic enough to actually do it.

mp5 posted:

Monk, Berserker, Ranger, Dragoon let's get into the misery

Ranger has X-Fight/Rapid Fire, so that's not a great choice.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Yeah, think people are downplaying how hard Omega is with certain classes! There are absolutely combinations that can't realistically beat it at Level 99. You also should remember some people (I mean, like, non-regulars) use savestates.

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jun 2, 2019

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

I killed Omega with RDM/DNC/DNC/DNC last year, but the entire party was also level 99, so less than ideal. (I balanced it out by also beating it with a level 22 party of SMN/NIN/BER/TIM).

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy
Updated my registration to WinnerRisk since it's the shiny new run this year. :)

KataraniSword posted:

For the record, the following things can get past Omega's defense:
  • !Rapidfire
  • Critical hits from Fists

Ah, the Kenshiro method.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Saigyouji posted:

I killed Omega with RDM/DNC/DNC/DNC last year, but the entire party was also level 99, so less than ideal. (I balanced it out by also beating it with a level 22 party of SMN/NIN/BER/TIM).

Dancer is a good class against Omega.

It's not a free kill like some other classes, but CK Dancing and Equip Ribbons (to make your characters confuse-proof via Rainbow Dresses) means you can win with a decent level (more 50s or so than 99), a pile of Elixirs and knowledge of when it's safe to attack in his routine. You'll need luck but after some attempts you can do it.

I did it with Samurai Samurai Samurai Ninja at 85. That fight is weird to me when you can just tank Atomic Rays.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Gonna try a chaos run out the gate this year. If I have to run white mages again up until the Earth crystal though I swear I'll explode.

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

Overlord K posted:

Gonna try a chaos run out the gate this year. If I have to run white mages again up until the Earth crystal though I swear I'll explode.

Better than the year I had to run geomancers for that same period.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

ultrafilter posted:

Omega and Shinryu are no match for the power of chemistry.

And masochistic enough to actually do it.

Ranger has X-Fight/Rapid Fire, so that's not a great choice.

The other classes I would have stuck in the fire job seemed even easier than Ranger tbh

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Doom Goon posted:

Yeah, think people are downplaying how hard Omega is with certain classes! There are absolutely combinations that can't realistically beat it at Level 99. You also should remember some people (I mean, like, non-regulars) use savestates.

Savestates don't matter too much in FF5's RNG iirc, I think it's seeded in such a way that loading states mid-battle will lead to the same results every time unless you choose different actions, and with Omega you really can't afford to dick around for RNG manipulation.

Omega is basically a difficulty binary but I think you're downplaying what a difference being Lv99 over (as an example) Lv50 is. That's basically your magic (mostly Succubus Kiss if you have a chemist) being 50% more accurate and its status effects being 50% less accurate (numerically; actual reduction may be lower). It turns something like Circle from a legitimate threat to potentially a dead turn on Omega's part, which is huge. Plus you have 5000-6000 HP by that point so you don't get reduced to a fine red mist immediately.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 2, 2019

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Doom Goon posted:

also certain versions of the game. As an insane person playing on Android, I have never beaten him without chemist.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

My 6th year running but only my second doing Berserker risk. Last time I wound up with a Ninja and 3 Berserkers. I hope I get something crazy like that again!

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

Ghost-Slug posted:

Updated my registration to WinnerRisk since it's the shiny new run this year. :)

Yeah I just went back and did the same. Carpe diem.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Looks like #stream is coming back and working a bit differently!
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1135333015524167682
(I know that Tweet is a bit misleading but that's because it cuts it off. It is coming back). I forget what the original method was but eventually it was worked up so it used Twitch Communities which lasted a year or so before it was deprecated. Also:
https://twitter.com/FF5ForFutures/status/1135341828801044480

KataraniSword posted:

Savestates don't matter too much in FF5's RNG iirc, I think it's seeded in such a way that loading states mid-battle will lead to the same results every time unless you choose different actions, and with Omega you really can't afford to dick around for RNG manipulation.
I believe it matters on tick, so if you were to save during a menu and load it would be the same, but if you wait a tick (say, by buffering the Can't Run! message) it'll be different. At least it's that way on the European GBA version, not sure about the other ones (though I know there's fun with the battle seed bug). Also, yeah, just holding down A seems to get some really oddly replicable situations!

KataraniSword posted:

I think you're downplaying what a difference being Lv99 over (as an example) Lv50 is. That's basically your magic (mostly Succubus Kiss if you have a chemist) being 50% more accurate and its status effects being 50% less accurate (numerically; actual reduction may be lower). It turns something like Circle from a legitimate threat to potentially a dead turn on Omega's part, which is huge. Plus you have 5000-6000 HP by that point so you don't get reduced to a fine red mist immediately.
Oh, no, definitely, my response was more in reference to the original "I wonder if there's any team composition that can't beat Omega even if you were mad enough to grind all the way to level 99 and get 99 Elixirs". There's a lot! You might technically have one Dragoon but if the rest of your party is Berserkers and Thief-quality, well, you know. But I'm probably also more sensitive to that because I play #chaos.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.

KataraniSword posted:

There's some wonkiness to it. Sometimes when I'm using RNG fuckery to try and cheese something (typically if I'm going against a rare steal against an annoying enemy, like going for Dragon Lances against those Jura Aevis jerks), I can fudge the RNG just enough by doing things like going in and out of menus (which will keep time from ticking just enough if you're on Wait).

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Registered for a Chaos750 with ZERKRISK. Can't wait!

Sneaky Wombat
Jan 9, 2010

All quick leaking has to be done in real time to honor loon.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Sneaky Wombat posted:

Crack open a beer and watch some baseball while waiting quickly.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Doom Goon posted:

Looks like #stream is coming back and working a bit differently!

I feel like I'm missing some context as to how the command worked originally. The blog post says to "SEND THIS" but never says what "THIS" is. Is it #stream? Do I just send it by itself and then it somehow resolves it, or opens up a part of the site that lets me put info in? Do I only send it while I'm streaming or can it accept my account at any time? Does my twitch url have to be included in a tweet?

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

Sneaky Wombat posted:

When I did real time quick leaking I just waited until I was about to go to bed.

Don't need to worry about how long it takes when you're asleep!

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

quick heads up that should maybe be in the OP here, RK wants separate tweets for each time you kill NED / Omega / Shinryu

You can use the same image for all three tweets if you combined the screenshots but this will allow you to immediately start a new run without waiting on him to manually fix your stuff

I used to just tweet once for all three and it slowed me down

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
That's neat. I always did it separately anyway, but I hate waiting to start a new run. I'm always excited to start another run after beating NED.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Basically streaming is not up and running yet (I mean, the Fiesta hasn't even started yet!), more details will come soon (I believe the linking thing is because of the newer Twitch API). But you can see from this test and the respective Players listing how it'll likely work on the Twitter and display side.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

WilliamAnderson posted:

Crack open a beer and watch some baseball play some footsball while waiting quickly.

Fixed that for you. Never forget Omega Bowl.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

ive never beaten ffv before but I will do this now

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

GulagDolls posted:

We believe in you, friend.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

GulagDolls posted:

You'd better

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

GulagDolls posted:

We are all cheering for you

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

GulagDolls posted:

I highly recommend starting off with pure chaos berserker risk.

:getin:

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Funktastic posted:

When I did real time quick leaking I just waited until I was about to go to bed.

Don't need to worry about how long it takes when you're asleep!

That's how I beat both Omega and Shin a couple of years ago. I play exclusively on my GBA SP.

I crumbled to Berserker Risk last time I did this. I had three and a Geo, I think. It was... not fun. I think I may just go with a #reg or #regrand this year.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
In for Winner + Berserkers, whatever that will give me! If it's basically Popular But Better, adding a Berserker will probably make the party better. That's good, I need a good, fun run to start out. Last year was my third and I stalled out big time after my first run, I think.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Who knew there was a FF5 Free Enterprise mod.