Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
The safest thing is to say no, you can't. It's really fact dependent on a few things. If you were an airport employee slinging mailbags in a plane's cargo compartment, then, yeah, the federal contract you're associated with doesn't keep you from donating. If you are signing on behalf of your company on a contract with the federal government, a federal candidate shouldn't take your donation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
How does that square with freedom of speech?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lambert posted:

Money is only speech if you're a billionaire or billion dollar company

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Lambert posted:

Partially the above, but the legal answer is that the law doesn't bar you, the contractor, from exercising your right to free expression by donating money to the candidate of your choice, it bars the candidate from accepting your money.* The goal was to prevent corruption by prohibiting candidates from taking money from Bob's Military Airplane Parts Emporium and handing Bob a huge contract for airplane parts in return. Of course, since that time we've developed newer and more exciting forms of corruption for our elected officials to engage in which aren't in any way prohibited by that regulation.

*That said, your employer might prohibit you from making or attempting to make donations, even if they might actually be legal, because we live in a neofeudalist hellscape they want to avoid any hint of impropriety and your employer can do a lot of dictating your behavior that the government can't.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 21, 2019

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

My state did something not completely terrible.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Does anyone know if there is a nationwide accounting of how much was spent on political campaigns in 2018? I wonder if it's over a billion dollars an election.

It's amazing how much it pumps into consultants hands

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

The Glumslinger posted:

Does anyone know if there is a nationwide accounting of how much was spent on political campaigns in 2018? I wonder if it's over a billion dollars an election.

It was over a billion in 2008 afaik.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Nth Doctor posted:

It was over a billion in 2008 afaik.

And yet a billion isn't even that much in a year when the US annual GDP is measured in the trillions.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

axeil posted:

And yet a billion isn't even that much in a year when the US annual GDP is measured in the trillions.

Coincidentally also why you don't need that raise - what are a $100 more compared to the annual GDP of the US.

Solaris 2.0
May 14, 2008

So I’m watching the HBO Beto documentary and hear me out. It’s less about Beto O’Rourke and more about local progressives in a deep red and conservative state fighting against the odds against an entrenched Republican goliath and exceeding all expectations.

You hear from people who are suffering under Republican rule and pouring their hearts, time, and wallet to make change happen, to improve their lives, and the lives of everyone in their state. They are fighting to end gun violence, LGBT and racial equality, immigration ,minimum wage, healthcare ect in a state mostly known for religion and guns.

As someone deeply involved in local politics (albeit in a deep blue state which as its own challenges) it was really inspiring. :smith:

Solaris 2.0 fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 2, 2019

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

The Glumslinger posted:

You can pull up each campaign on Wikipedia if you want to, just add them up until you reach a billion or stop caring.

In 2016, Hillary and Trump combined spent 935 million before we even start counting the entire rest of the races, even with midterm turnout being lower I'd guess that 2018 topped a billion easy

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Opensecrets has total 2018 spend at $5,725,183,133 including outside groups.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Eddie Melton is possibly throwing their hat into the ring for IN governor. Anyone from the Gary area know more about his voting record?

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/justupthepike/status/1136277765861322752

Local politics is loving wild and this is what I deal with every goddamn week. Racist white people resistant to brown people moving into their neighborhoods and the terrors of urbanism and densification.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The great advantage of the MNCPPC is that by design, it's technocratically resistant to pressure from above and below on these things. This was the whole point of moving so much of zoning to county level.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Hey, is there any info out there for the upcoming VA election?

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Agent Rush posted:

Hey, is there any info out there for the upcoming VA election?

Primaries are next Tuesday for house of delegate and state senate candidates as well as for local offices.

Blue Virginia seems to talk a lot about different VA districts and what's going on there regarding elections.

If anyone has good information for the VA elections, feel free to post them.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Fairly large crowd today for Irma Corado. The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors race is apparently lit. It’s a fine, swell day

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Your Boy Fancy posted:

...The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors race is apparently lit...

More info on this would be welcome. I know the only candidate who's actually been on the board, McKay, has been accused of shady housing developer bullshit. The accuser, Chapman, is another candidate who has emphasized affordable housing and has apologized for once donating to The Cooch. Other candidates are a former schoolboard dude, McElveen, who supports universal pre K and in the past has pushed resolutions on LGBTQ issues, and Plerhoples, for whom I've found no concrete platform.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jun 10, 2019

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
I wish I knew more about the chairman race; the mass-text about McKay is causing a kerfuffle on the basis of “hey, that’s not legal” but it’s Virginia so as long as you don’t start by yelling CRIMES you’re okay. McElveen looks to be the most progressive candidate by far, though.

Irma Corado, the one I walked for yesterday, is aiming for the Braddock district - trying to get a non Stale Pale Male voice on the board and mainly trying to stop the county police from (voluntarily!!) working with ICE to deport people. Knowing what i know about Fairfax County cops, I’ll fight for her until the end of the world.

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I wish I knew more about the chairman race; the mass-text about McKay is causing a kerfuffle on the basis of “hey, that’s not legal” but it’s Virginia so as long as you don’t start by yelling CRIMES you’re okay. McElveen looks to be the most progressive candidate by far, though.

Irma Corado, the one I walked for yesterday, is aiming for the Braddock district - trying to get a non Stale Pale Male voice on the board and mainly trying to stop the county police from (voluntarily!!) working with ICE to deport people. Knowing what i know about Fairfax County cops, I’ll fight for her until the end of the world.

Fairfax County cops are the scourge of the state. I had a run in with them for daring to translate and defend an El Salvadorian immigrant who got hit by a Good Ole Boy in his pick up truck. They looked at me with an incredible amount of hate in their eyes as I translated for him. The 6 cops(because apparently, a yard laborer was highly dangerous that warranted an enormous police presence, those spades and rakes are really dangerous!) and dude were trying to pin it on the immigrant. The poor guy spoke very bad English because he had only been in the country for a year and was being bullied by 7 overweight white dudes with guns. Motherfuckers even threatened to call ICE on him to terrify him into accepting blame and I had to remind everyone involved that was not legal because the man had a valid green card(you pick up a lot of things when you have done volunteer work for an immigration activist attorney.) Long story short they gave up and agreed it was the Good Ole Boys fault because I called a lawyer friend and they were on their way to knock some heads together.

In short, if you are white, be a bro and put your body between a cop and a minority. It is the worst loving superpower to have, but it can save lives.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

friendbot2000 posted:

In short, if you are white, be a bro and put your body between a cop and a minority. It is the worst loving superpower to have, but it can save lives.

I guess I should look up a legal hotline or something to keep in my wallet.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Just got back from voting in the Virginia primaries. How common is it to receive a Democratic sample ballot from someone in front of the polling place even though both candidates on the ballot are Democrats?

The person filled in on the sample ballot just so happened to be the same person who was on the shirt of the guy who was passing out the sample ballots. The sample ballot was also missing the State Senate and County Sheriff races, so it seems that it would be kind of confusing for people getting a sample ballot and finding out it had a lot of missing information on it when they fill out the real ballots.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

nonrev posted:

Just got back from voting in the Virginia primaries. How common is it to receive a Democratic sample ballot from someone in front of the polling place even though both candidates on the ballot are Democrats?

The person filled in on the sample ballot just so happened to be the same person who was on the shirt of the guy who was passing out the sample ballots. The sample ballot was also missing the State Senate and County Sheriff races, so it seems that it would be kind of confusing for people getting a sample ballot and finding out it had a lot of missing information on it when they fill out the real ballots.

i ran into the same thing, one actual candidate and two volunteers, one young and one older woman

the young woman handing out the sample ballot had the candidate i wanted to vote for checked so i didn't think much of it, i was just worried i'd get yelled at by poll workers for carrying in campaign memorabilia

the older woman was there on behalf of the incumbent, who pulled me aside and conspiratorially told me that he managed to get $25 million for sewer improvements so we didn't have to pay more in taxes

i guess she figured that would appeal to a white dude in a button up

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

redneck nazgul posted:

i ran into the same thing, one actual candidate and two volunteers, one young and one older woman

the young woman handing out the sample ballot had the candidate i wanted to vote for checked so i didn't think much of it, i was just worried i'd get yelled at by poll workers for carrying in campaign memorabilia

the older woman was there on behalf of the incumbent, who pulled me aside and conspiratorially told me that he managed to get $25 million for sewer improvements so we didn't have to pay more in taxes

i guess she figured that would appeal to a white dude in a button up

Ugh, there is a lot of weird that goes on in VA primaries. Several books could be written on the subject. Local politics is fuckin brutal and always a knife fight. I actually recommend reporting that behavior to the state authorities because that smells....odd to me.

PerniciousKnid posted:

I guess I should look up a legal hotline or something to keep in my wallet.

I keep several good lawyers that do probono work in my wallet for this express purpose. We got the privilege, may as well use it in a non-lovely way

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

nonrev posted:

Depends. Candidates have gotten in hot water for producing their own fraudulent sample ballots before (looking at you, Joe Morrissey), and sometimes they represent the state or local party's endorsement but were not printed and distributed by the party, thus the lack of other candidates. Either way, it's basically campaign advertising, not advisory information from the party, probably.

Speaking of old Fighting Joe, I voted at 6:45 this morning; the only race on my ballot was the state Senate primary between Rosalyn Dance and Joe Morrissey. Dance is a lukewarm Dem at best but I trust Joe "Twice-Disbarred" Morrissey about as far as I can throw him, so I voted for the incumbent. I was voter number 6 at my deserted precinct, but I also get up earlier than most. :v:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

redneck nazgul posted:

he managed to get $25 million for sewer improvements so we didn't have to pay more in taxes

wait what

got the $25 million from...where?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

theflyingorc posted:

wait what

got the $25 million from...where?

it was apparently the "fix Old Town's sewer problems" money from the state budget under T-Mac, so i guess she was gambling on "oh, here's a white dude in a button up, he must be somewhat concerned with taxes and spend a lot of time in Old Town"

joke's on her, i'm a loving military transplant, would happily pay more in taxes if it meant things got better for everybody, and never go into old town unless i'm playing pokemon go

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

redneck nazgul posted:

it was apparently the "fix Old Town's sewer problems" money from the state budget under T-Mac, so i guess she was gambling on "oh, here's a white dude in a button up, he must be somewhat concerned with taxes and spend a lot of time in Old Town"

joke's on her, i'm a loving military transplant, would happily pay more in taxes if it meant things got better for everybody, and never go into old town unless i'm playing pokemon go

Half of Old Town's sewer problems are because they need some serious development of a hardened coastline so everything doesn't loving flood all the time every time we get a light drizzle. Something like what the city of Boston is doing for their harbor:

https://www.boston.gov/news/transformative-plan-create-resilient-open-boston-harbor-unveiled

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

redneck nazgul posted:

friendbot2000 posted:

Half of Old Town's sewer problems are because they need some serious development of a hardened coastline so everything doesn't loving flood all the time every time we get a light drizzle. Something like what the city of Boston is doing for their harbor:

https://www.boston.gov/news/transformative-plan-create-resilient-open-boston-harbor-unveiled

Oh yeah that's a fun thing about local Virginia politics that a lot of people don't think about : all our cities are old as balls and situated on rivers, so when their sewer systems were designed, they just made one combined sewer and wastewater system. This works fine except when it storms, because the wastewater treatment plants aren't designed for massive overflows of storm water, so the only option is to dump the torrent of poop water into the river! We've made some headway in the last couple of decades through improving the capacity of our wastewater plants and building great big fuckoff tanks to hold excess water and stave off overflow events, but at the end of the day climate change and our runoff prone urban landscapes are working against us and separating the network of pipes into separate branches is an enormous expensive undertaking.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

lol loving Joe Morrissey, convicted sex criminal and twice disbarred lawyer, won. what a piece of poo poo.

if you don't know about Morrissey, take a gander at his wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Morrissey

he's also the star of this wonderful photo, featuring the 17 year old intern he impregnated and later married

Seven Hundred Bee fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 12, 2019

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Lee Carter won his primary!

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Quorum posted:

Partially the above, but the legal answer is that the law doesn't bar you, the contractor, from exercising your right to free expression by donating money to the candidate of your choice, it bars the candidate from accepting your money.* The goal was to prevent corruption by prohibiting candidates from taking money from Bob's Military Airplane Parts Emporium and handing Bob a huge contract for airplane parts in return. Of course, since that time we've developed newer and more exciting forms of corruption for our elected officials to engage in which aren't in any way prohibited by that regulation.

*That said, your employer might prohibit you from making or attempting to make donations, even if they might actually be legal, because we live in a neofeudalist hellscape they want to avoid any hint of impropriety and your employer can do a lot of dictating your behavior that the government can't.

Coming in way late on this, but Ceiling fan is actually correct:

Ceiling fan posted:

The safest thing is to say no, you can't. It's really fact dependent on a few things. If you were an airport employee slinging mailbags in a plane's cargo compartment, then, yeah, the federal contract you're associated with doesn't keep you from donating. If you are signing on behalf of your company on a contract with the federal government, a federal candidate shouldn't take your donation.

For FEC purposes you only count as a contractor if you're contracted directly to the federal government, or if you are a sole proprietor or partner in a company that contracts to the government. If you're a shareholder or employee, you're fine.

B B posted:

Lee Carter won his primary!

He also got on the State Central Committee of the Democratic Party of Virginia.

Also I bet someone primaries Mark Wolfe's Republican rear end next year for City Council.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Parisa Dehghani-Tafti defeated Theo Stamos and Lee Carter won his primary. Today was a good day.

https://www.arlnow.com/2019/06/11/developing-primary-polls-close-early-election-results-show-tight-race-for-prosecutor/

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Both of the cop-endorsed DAs lost in NOVA, including the one who jailed a teen for saying "oink oink" to a cop, so that's cool.

I'm real :smith: about Taeb losing to loving useless waste Dick Saslaw though. Lee Carter winning big is nice.

Overall I give these primaries a B.

Handsome Ralph posted:

Parisa Dehghani-Tafti defeated Theo Stamos and Lee Carter won his primary. Today was a good day.

https://www.arlnow.com/2019/06/11/developing-primary-polls-close-early-election-results-show-tight-race-for-prosecutor/

Theo Stamos is the cop-endorsed DA who jailed a kid for saying "oink oink" to a cop. Probably the best result of the night.

friendbot2000 posted:

Fairfax County cops are the scourge of the state. I had a run in with them for daring to translate and defend an El Salvadorian immigrant who got hit by a Good Ole Boy in his pick up truck. They looked at me with an incredible amount of hate in their eyes as I translated for him. The 6 cops(because apparently, a yard laborer was highly dangerous that warranted an enormous police presence, those spades and rakes are really dangerous!) and dude were trying to pin it on the immigrant. The poor guy spoke very bad English because he had only been in the country for a year and was being bullied by 7 overweight white dudes with guns. Motherfuckers even threatened to call ICE on him to terrify him into accepting blame and I had to remind everyone involved that was not legal because the man had a valid green card(you pick up a lot of things when you have done volunteer work for an immigration activist attorney.) Long story short they gave up and agreed it was the Good Ole Boys fault because I called a lawyer friend and they were on their way to knock some heads together.

poo poo like this is why I'm glad Morrogh lost to Descano for Faifax DA. Not being endorsed by the cop unions made Descano an easy pick for me.

axeil fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jun 12, 2019

B B
Dec 1, 2005

Handsome Ralph posted:

The CA race in Fairfax is looking very interesting:

(Descano is the reform-minded candidate in this race.)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Re: Descano, he probably got put over the top because Terry McAuliffe endorsed him.

Who ever thought that Terry McAuliffe would be a beloved governor, kingmaker and one of the biggest criminal justice reform advocates in the state.

Rumors are swirling he'll run again in 2021 and if he does he'll win easily. VA governors are forbidden from running for re-election but they can still run again, just as long as they aren't the incumbent.

Descano is pretty serious about this stuff too. From his campaign website:

quote:

Fairfax County and the City of Fairfax*have an incredible opportunity on June 11th—the opportunity to reform our criminal justice system for the first time in generations. We’ve only had two Commonwealth’s Attorneys since 1967. There hasn’t been a Democratic Primary for the position since 1963. I’m running for Commonwealth’s Attorney to create a modern criminal justice system that is guided by our progressive values of Community, Equality, and Justice.

I’ll reform the system so that no one, no matter how powerful, is above the law. I’ll work to ensure that systemic discrimination based on race, wealth, and zip code is in the past. I’ll discard the tough-on-crime approach that has failed to address the root causes of crime, in favor of a holistic approach that builds up our communities.

Reforming our system means that we’ll break the cycle of decreased opportunity, increased poverty, and increased crime that is the story of far too many of our neighbors. This is a critically important moment for our community. The 2019 election will determine the future of Fairfax County for years to come. We can either accept the status quo or choose to fight for equality and social justice. With this election, we have the chance to push for greater inclusion and diversity of opinion. Fairfax County has made progress, but we still have work to do—especially in our criminal justice system

I helped launch the Fairfax County Police Civilian Review Panel and brought the Panel’s work out of the boardroom and into the community. I spent years fighting for equal rights for women as a Board Member of NARAL Pro-Choice Virginia and for equal rights for minorities as a member of the County NAACP’s Criminal Justice and Legal Redress Committees.

He's promised to effectively de-criminalize weed possession in the county and he has ending mass incarceration as the #1 issue in his campaign policy paper. I'm very excited for him to take office.

axeil fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 12, 2019

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

lol loving Joe Morrissey, convicted sex criminal and twice disbarred lawyer, won. what a piece of poo poo.

if you don't know about Morrissey, take a gander at his wikipedia page: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Morrissey

he's also the star of this wonderful photo, featuring the 17 year old intern he impregnated and later married

UGH

Looks like he lost slightly in most of the district, including Richmond, but cleaned house in Petersburg, which is highly, highly underserved and disinvested in by the powers that be, and well aware of the fact. Fair enough for them to express their frustration by voting out the incumbent (who, to be fair, wasn't amazing as far as I can tell), it just sucks that the guy is such a slimeball grifter who talks a big game.

Happily, there's no Republican opponent, so there's literally no ideological cost to writing in someone else this November, and maybe he'll get indicted for crimes again or primaried by someone with good policy positions and who isn't garbage.

Incidentally, the Washington Post did a pretty good article on this race, and they made a very good point: Morrissey winning and Northam facing backlash from black legislators but less so from black voters isn't unrelated. Lots of systematically disenfranchised and underserved voters sort of assume (not incorrectly) that everyone powerful is a corrupt piece of poo poo, so what matters more than being free of past wrongs is demonstrating actual results for you, the constituency.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

B B posted:

The CA race in Fairfax is looking very interesting:

(Descano is the reform-minded candidate in this race.)

Can someone explicate the difference between (FAIRFAX CITY - FAIRFAX COUNTY) and (FAIRFAX CITY - FAIRFAX COUNTY) - FAIRFAX COUNTY?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Badger of Basra posted:

Can someone explicate the difference between (FAIRFAX CITY - FAIRFAX COUNTY) and (FAIRFAX CITY - FAIRFAX COUNTY) - FAIRFAX COUNTY?

VA is a very weird place and individual cities have the power of counties because things were set up like that back in the 1600s. Fairfax is extra weird because there is both the City of Fairfax and Fairfax County. Fairfax County is the bigger one.

The top result in the image is both localities combined. The lower one is just Fairfax county.