Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

C-Euro posted:

Found a good deal on bone-in chicken breast the other day so I bought some to cook tonight. Only problem is that I'm not 100% sure of the proper way to do it. My first inclination is to sear them on the stove to brown up the skin and then finish them in the oven, but I think my only oven-safe pan is my cast iron and that feels like overkill. Suggestions?

I like thighs better than breasts for this, but the ATK slow-roasted chicken recipe is fine for chicken breasts too. Brown both sides in the skillet, roast at 250 F for about an hour and a quarter (ideally, until they're at your preferred temp), rest for ten minutes. While it rests, pre-heat your broiler. Broil until the skin is crisp (3-6 minutes) then devour.

Edit: It's https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/8185-slow-roasted-chicken-parts-with-shallot-garlic-pan-sauce if you have access.

Zorak of Michigan fucked around with this message at 22:08 on May 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

DasNeonLicht posted:

I don't know, pan roasted chicken breast sounds nice as long as you don't let it get dry

Yeah, the technique I looked at cautioned against drying them out. That's why they have it start on the stove and finish in the oven, if only my meat thermometer was more reliable!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I do them in the oven at 350 for 35-45 minutes (until my probe thermometer beeps at me that they're 160 inside) to make chicken salad or slice for sandwiches, and a lot of the time the skin is actually fairly crisp. You could probably raise the temp and cut the time a little and have good crispy skin and nicely cooked breasts just in the oven.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Quick Question about cooking meat: So when I tend to cook meat at a relatively high heat in oil that's cut into about 1/2 inch pieces, I notice that the meat when first introduced to the pan browns quickly, but after a minute or so, it starts releasing moisture and stops browning, even if I'm not overcrowding the pan. Is there a way to prevent or otherwise minimize the time the meat is in this non-browning state?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

SweetBro posted:

Quick Question about cooking meat: So when I tend to cook meat at a relatively high heat in oil that's cut into about 1/2 inch pieces, I notice that the meat when first introduced to the pan browns quickly, but after a minute or so, it starts releasing moisture and stops browning, even if I'm not overcrowding the pan. Is there a way to prevent or otherwise minimize the time the meat is in this non-browning state?
You're crowding the pan. The thing you're describing? That's how you define a crowded pan. So if that's what's happening you can either buy a range with higher output burners, or work in smaller batches.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

C-Euro posted:

Found a good deal on bone-in chicken breast the other day so I bought some to cook tonight. Only problem is that I'm not 100% sure of the proper way to do it. My first inclination is to sear them on the stove to brown up the skin and then finish them in the oven, but I think my only oven-safe pan is my cast iron and that feels like overkill. Suggestions?

Cast iron actually sounds great. Not over kill at all. Sear it in the cast iron and finish it off in the oven just like you said. Pull it out and deglaze the pan to make a nice pan gravy.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

How do I juice vegetables? We recently started getting a weekly veg box, and were pretty good at ploughing through it (and our pet giant African land snails enjoy the offcuts), but I want to try juicing some of it. We get a mix of root vegetables, leafy greens, fruit, beets etc.

Dead Of Winter
Dec 17, 2003

It's morning again in America.

Scientastic posted:

How do I juice vegetables? We recently started getting a weekly veg box, and were pretty good at ploughing through it (and our pet giant African land snails enjoy the offcuts), but I want to try juicing some of it. We get a mix of root vegetables, leafy greens, fruit, beets etc.

If you want to do it with any amount of convenience, you’d need a juicer.

I guess for some things you can try blending them and squeezing the pulp though cheesecloth or a towel, but I don’t know if that’s worth the mess.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

I. M. Gei posted:

Oh yeah...... whipped topping.

drat, why couldn’t I think of that myself?

1 cup heavy cream (aka whipping cream)
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Pour all three into a tall cup (a tall, narrow cup causes less spillage than a wide bowl). Use a stand mixer to whisk for about 1 minute. Spread over the key lime pie.

I live in Key West and make key lime pie about once a month. This is my go-to topping.

On a side note, there's a fierce debate about whether key lime pie has a flour crust and merengue topping or a graham cracker crust and whipped cream topping. I'm in the latter camp.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Bagheera posted:

On a side note, there's a fierce debate about whether key lime pie

Where? I'm ready to lace up some gloves and get feisty

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

BrianBoitano posted:

Where? I'm ready to lace up some gloves and get feisty

In Key West. It's kind of like steak sandwiches in Philadelphia or green/red chiles in Albuquerque. Epicurious had a great article on key lime pie.

https://www.epicurious.com/archive/seasonalcooking/winter/key-lime-pie

quote:

Almost every family in Florida has a recipe for Key lime pie and they all claim it's the only authentic version. The filling is rarely disputed: Everyone agrees that green food coloring is for dry-landers and that a proper version is pale yellow. Rather, most debates revolve around the other two variables, crust and topping.

Battle lines in the crust camp are drawn between traditional pastry crust and graham cracker crust. The topping dissension is equally binary. Some believe that a lime pie can only be considered "Key" if modeling a lofty bonnet of meringue. Others argue that a slice of any self-respecting Key lime pie always sports a rakish dollop of whipped cream, preferably one that falls off to the side à la a French beret.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I have no dog in this fight but a meringue topping works much better with a citrus filling like key lime, IMHO. Whipped cream makes it too heavy.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I bought some gazpacho in a bottle and drank a portion of it, afterwards I discovered that its best-by date was 2 weeks ago.
It did taste kind of sour, but not outside of what I'd expect from gazpacho. Otherwise it looked and smelled normal.

It mostly consists of tomato pulp, and contains additional salt, vinegar and lemon juice, but also some other pureed vegetables. It was also pasteurized and kept in the fridge.
So, probably fine, or do I have some stomach trouble to look forward to?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Totally fine. Aside from the entire concept of you drinking gazpacho out of a bottle, which I find unsettling.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

pidan posted:

I bought some gazpacho in a bottle and drank a portion of it, afterwards I discovered that its best-by date was 2 weeks ago.
It did taste kind of sour, but not outside of what I'd expect from gazpacho. Otherwise it looked and smelled normal.

It mostly consists of tomato pulp, and contains additional salt, vinegar and lemon juice, but also some other pureed vegetables. It was also pasteurized and kept in the fridge.
So, probably fine, or do I have some stomach trouble to look forward to?

It was likely just starting to pickle itself with all the salt and acid in it. I doubt you have much to worry about at all.

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Along similar lines, a vinegar sauce (only vinegar, salt, sugar, spices), even if there's a bit of sugar in it, should keep indefinitely, right?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I visited my mom recently and she made a biscuit and egg casserole and it was loving great. I want to make one myself, but add mushrooms cause I'm a mushroom fiend. Would the oil from the cheese and the liquid from the eggs/milk cook the mushrooms, should I saute them before throwing it in the oven or will that make them burn? Or should I saute midway through cooking and toss them on top?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
It's just about impossible to overcook mushrooms short of throwing them into the fires of mordor.

For a casserole, I think you probably want to saute the shrooms before adding them, just so they don't expel their moisture into your casserole and make everything soggy.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg
Mushrooms are the only ingredient I can think of that are best eaten anywhere from raw to cooked for 8 hours. You can't overcook them, and you can't undercook them.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You can definitely undercook button shrooms. That slimey squeaky just warmed through texture is loving trash.

If I am cooking any sort of button type shroom, I always err on the far side of overcooked. They take to browning so nicely.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Are there any recipe aggregators (esp baking recipes) that let you filter out recipes very finely? I'm trying to bake for some people with some pretty exact and uncommon food sensitivities and don't really know where to start

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

ZombieCrew posted:

Cast iron actually sounds great. Not over kill at all. Sear it in the cast iron and finish it off in the oven just like you said. Pull it out and deglaze the pan to make a nice pan gravy.

I ended up doing this a couple days ago and it was very very good. Browned the skin in the pan, flipped them and baked at 400F for 30 min, made a mise glaze with the pan drippings and some veggies A+ would sear again. I just bone-in breasts were a little easier to get all the meat off of.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I am no mushroom expert, but in my experience mushrooms either have to be cooked only a little bit so they retain their shape, or cooked a lot so that when they start to shed water there is time for it to be cooked off. Having a cooking time between these two pole results in nasty wet food.

I'd sauté the mushrooms seperately for a good long time to get rid of the water and concentrate the flavour.

ZombieCrew
Apr 1, 2019

C-Euro posted:

I ended up doing this a couple days ago and it was very very good. Browned the skin in the pan, flipped them and baked at 400F for 30 min, made a mise glaze with the pan drippings and some veggies A+ would sear again. I just bone-in breasts were a little easier to get all the meat off of.

I need to fix my cast iron. My brother threw it in the drat dishwasher 6 months ago and I just haven't had the energy to hold back my anger while I scrub it.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Let's say I made hot and sour soup using a recipe that called for a dubiously large amount of vinegar but I followed it anyway, and yes it turned out to be way too much vinegar.

Is there an effective way to neutralize this without basically remaking the soup? I can dilute it but at that point I'm basically remaking it. Also if anyone has a good hot and sour soup recipe...

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Should be possible to literally neutralize it with a base, and indeed google suggests you can use very tiny amounts of baking soda to adjust, stirring it in and tasting as you go.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

I'm gonna give that a shot, that was my first thought but it seemed too easy to work but I don't see why it wouldn't. Thanks! I only ask because I made way too much with my good stock and don't want to waste it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Adding a tiny amount (like fractions of a teaspoon) of baking soda to sweet tea neutralizes a lot of the bitterness of the tea, letting you get that sickeningly sweet southern tea with less actual sugar.

Pro tips from my diabetic southern family friend.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
So sad day. I went to the store this weekend to pick up my pre-marinated Al Pastor meat for taco night and they are discontinuing it. That being said. Does anyone have a favorite recipe, tips or anything to help me start making my own. In the mean time I'm just going to browse recipes to try and pick out the similarities between them all and start with that base.

Side note I'm seeing Pork Shoulder and Pork Loin listed as protein. Suggestions on which is better. Seems like shoulder would give me a little bit of fat while loin would just be lean.

sterster fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 3, 2019

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i recently did kenji's version and while i thought it was tasty it definitely took too much effort and it's still not as good as going to a proper pastor place and getting it carved off the spit

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Can anyone recommend some cooking resources for people looking to lose weight?

I've never had any luck finding a low-calorie oriented version of something like, say, Serious Eats, quality wise. I look at it like a good vegan/vegetarian restaurant - taking a meaty/high-cal dish and going crazy to fit it to a diet is never going to be as good as focusing on things that fit the category in the first place.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

TheAardvark posted:

I've never had any luck finding a low-calorie oriented version of something like, say, Serious Eats, quality wise. I look at it like a good vegan/vegetarian restaurant - taking a meaty/high-cal dish and going crazy to fit it to a diet is never going to be as good as focusing on things that fit the category in the first place.

I hope someone knows a good resource, because I don't.

Vegetarian, non-pasta meals take you 90% of the way there. If you want meat, go lean and dress it up with simple sides, low on the carbs/ starches. Unfortunately all the sources I know do well on either nutrition or flavor, few do both.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

TheAardvark posted:

I don't think I know of any sites like that. Skinny Taste is ok for recipe sources. Honestly just searching for vegetarian/vegan/whole 30 recipes will get you pretty far too. Avoid cheese & oils and a lot of the calories get cut.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anybody know how to preserve bean sprouts? They turn brown in the freezer and don’t last very long either way. I’ve never tried blanching before freezing but I fear I just have to learn how to eat them faster.

TheAardvark posted:

I can’t think of any dedicated resources but It’s best to think of simple dishes you like and learn how to cook those on their own. So avoid most all-in-one dishes e.g. chicken breast and peas is better than a serving of pot pie. Soup, like salad, can sneak up on you from all the creams and roux that can get added but I really love squash and there’s not a gourd that doesn’t make a delicious soup blended with chicken stock.

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005

TheAardvark posted:

I think most recipe sites are in the market for making interesting food, and healthy food is usually a bit more straightforward. It's not a recipe site but I'd recommend searching a list of filling foods (potatoes, beans, broccoli etc) then searching for simple cooking methods for each that you like. If you can simmer a tasty pot of beans then you can dress it up however you like--smoky chili, indian curry flavors, greek salad etc..

But that's not very satisfying so for an actual resource I recommend everyone's favorite vegetarian internet auntie -- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=user?NishaMadhulika

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Miso is a godsend. It practically lasts forever and you can make a big pot and just add the boiling soup to whatever cold veggies or protein you have lying around.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

My Lovely Horse posted:

Should be possible to literally neutralize it with a base, and indeed google suggests you can use very tiny amounts of baking soda to adjust, stirring it in and tasting as you go.

I legit did this a 1/8th tsp at a time and it worked like wizardry. All the leftovers are gone. Great success.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

al-azad posted:

Anybody know how to preserve bean sprouts? They turn brown in the freezer and don’t last very long either way. I’ve never tried blanching before freezing but I fear I just have to learn how to eat them faster.

:lol: Your best bet is to eat em faster. Bean sprouts are p much sticks of water. They're not gonna last long.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

sterster posted:

So sad day. I went to the store this weekend to pick up my pre-marinated Al Pastor meat for taco night and they are discontinuing it.

Can you ask them for the recipe? If the store isn’t making it anymore I’d bet they’d tell you how they make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psychobabble!
Jun 22, 2010

Observing this filth unsettles me
Probably a long shot, but any tips on cooking moose sausage(feel free to direct me to a better thread if there is one). I recently got gifted a pack of sausages and have no idea how to cook them to really get the most out of them. Not sure if they're mixed with another type of meat, but I'm reasonably sure they aren't(gifted to me from someone local whose daughter shot said moose). My best idea at the moment is to cook them like a brat in some beer, but I'd love any other better ideas, because when the hell am I going to get free moose sausage again? And I'd like to do it right.