Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Note that in Tales From The Loop, the PCs are explicitly gradeschoolers age 10-15.

This is the part that pushes it into new territory for me. Not only did he hide his rape nonsense from the con organisers and not include mention of it in his game submission but he chose to do it in a game that is heavily based on The Goonies, ET, Stranger Things, Flight of The Navigator, etc with a group of players that are playing a band of adventuring kids. :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

BoneMonkey posted:

Ok, now I'm not a fan of this poo poo, and am all up for stamping poo poo like this out. But would that be kink shaming?

I would argue no, because A) it seems like the players didn't know he was gonna do it and B) you probably shouldn't play kink style games in a public setting anyway, there might be kids around or people that would get triggered by that sort of thing.

I've not missed anything here right?

If your kink involves children or other people incapable of consenting - and in this case it does in a way that even the daddy dom stuff doesn't - it doesn't get the usual 'well, whatever floats your boat' protection.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

BoneMonkey posted:

Ok, now I'm not a fan of this poo poo, and am all up for stamping poo poo like this out. But would that be kink shaming?

I would argue no, because A) it seems like the players didn't know he was gonna do it and B) you probably shouldn't play kink style games in a public setting anyway, there might be kids around or people that would get triggered by that sort of thing.

Naw you got the right of it, they didn't know what they were signing up for and playing as literal children (Not even the weak decorum of 1000 year old titty daemons) pretty much invalidates it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

BoneMonkey posted:

"Safe, sane, and consensual."

So no, it's not kinkshaming, it's more like arresting the guy who wanks on the bus.

E: I mean the public bus, with the public on it, not like the bus wankers club wank bus, before anyone asks.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jun 3, 2019

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Cool, I figured this was pretty gross.

As for kid angle, it is a bunch of adults playing kids. Now again I think that is gross to involve sex in that situation, but is it actually wrong? (Obvisiously it is wrong in this context with all the other stuff going on.)

Pedos exist and as far as I know there isn't a cure for it. So if this is a good way for them to deal with thier issues without hurting kids then while gross isn't it ok for them to do this in a private and contenting setting? (Which this didn't seem to be.)

I also do not know if this is a good way for them to deal with these issues, and maybe it makes it worse instead. Then should we stamp it out even though no one is actually getting hurt?

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
This is, uh, not a line of inquiry that is going to go particularly well for you.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

BoneMonkey posted:

As for kid angle, it is a bunch of adults playing kids. Now again I think that is gross to involve sex in that situation, but is it actually wrong? (Obvisiously it is wrong in this context with all the other stuff going on.)

Pedos exist and as far as I know there isn't a cure for it. So if this is a good way for them to deal with thier issues without hurting kids then while gross isn't it ok for them to do this in a private and contenting setting? (Which this didn't seem to be.)

I also do not know if this is a good way for them to deal with these issues, and maybe it makes it worse instead. Then should we stamp it out even though no one is actually getting hurt?

You do not get to run a game about loving kids in a random con game where you don't inform the players beforehand, what the gently caress.

Edit: you're allowed to run whatever game you want in the privacy of your own home with players who agree to it. That has absolutely nothing to do with this case.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Eox posted:

This is, uh, not a line of inquiry that is going to go particularly well for you.

Yeah, I understand it's not "off topic" because squashing "deviant sexual behavior" is very fash but like...yeah letting pedophiles fantasize about children without support from a mental health professional? Probably not good!

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Yes I agree it was super gross in this context, I was asking if it is still wrong in the best possible context, which would be in private and among consenting adults?

Which I kinda think yeah, it's still gross and wrong. Especially if it does more harm or normalises this behaviour.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

This isn't a good subject for amateurs to speculate about.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

This isn't a good subject for amateurs to speculate about.

Yeah, probably true.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

BoneMonkey posted:

Yes I agree it was super gross in this context, I was asking if it is still wrong in the best possible context, which would be in private and among consenting adults?

Which I kinda think yeah, it's still gross and wrong. Especially if it does more harm or normalises this behaviour.

I don't think pedophilia is fascism.

Edit: or I guess it is? Nvm I guess.

Harvey Mantaco fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 3, 2019

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

E: I mean the public bus, with the public on it, not like the bus wankers club wank bus, before anyone asks.

Driving that bus would to cause life long psychiatric issues. That guy's going to walking around in a rain suit at all times and going into spastic trembling every time he hears someone running up behind him on the street.

BoneMonkey posted:

That isn't therapy. It's an attempt at a promotional meet and greet for pedos.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

BoneMonkey posted:

If I read the description:

quote:

Description : As part of the science club you have been invited on a field trip to the old Cairn near Summers rock, thats on Saturday, Rob has arranged a sleepover on friday at his house as its close to Summers Rock, you can walk to the rock in the morning to meet Mr Jefferies...

You have each agreed to the sleepover, because of Robs step mum...

I'd figure it was a horror/survival game, like the old Friday 13th movies. Sure, I'd play that. But a rape game? No way.

I figure the line between good kink and bad kink is informed consent. That description is misleading, as it leaves out the rape part entirely, so there's no informed consent. It isn't kink shaming to say "no thanks, I don't want to participate in your thing."

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Cessna posted:

If I read the description:

I'd figure it was a horror/survival game, like the old Friday 13th movies. Sure, I'd play that. But a rape game? No way.

I figure the line between good kink and bad kink is informed consent. That description is misleading, as it leaves out the rape part entirely, so there's no informed consent. It isn't kink shaming to say "no thanks, I don't want to participate in your thing."

The game specifically has you playing as kids. Kink shaming or not doesn't come into it. Pedophilia isn't a kink.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Booley posted:

The game specifically has you playing as kids. Kink shaming or not doesn't come into it. Pedophilia isn't a kink.

This. At best this dipshit was trying to be edgy and shocking in the worst way possible, at worst he was trying to inflict his derangement on unsuspecting people.

Whole thing reminds me of a game of WHFRP I was dragged into a few years back, with a GM that ran a scenario involving a Fimir raid. Without warning, the cretin had the party encounter a :nms: pregnant 8 year old Fimir slave :nms: and acted just incredibly shocked when half the table got up and told him to gently caress off.

To bring this a little back on thread topic, the 4chan-breed of fash love to use shock tactics like this to look for potential fellow-travellers/recruits, weeding out the "normies" and drawing in the kinda sociopaths who don't immediately tell them to gently caress off.

SteelMentor fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jun 3, 2019

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Booley posted:

I didn't see that in the description posted.

Yeah, no, that's just wrong. Nope. No drat way.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Cessna posted:

I didn't see that in the description posted.

Yeah, no, that's just wrong. Nope. No drat way.

It's not explicitly in the description, but Tales From the Loop is a game for playing as kids.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Mors Rattus posted:

It's not explicitly in the description, but Tales From the Loop is a game for playing as kids.

I did not know that.

And again, no drat way.

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
Tales from the Loop is basically an unlicensed Stranger Things Rpg isn't it?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

BoneMonkey posted:

Hi, I'm a professional counselor and treatment provider who works with people who have committed sex offenses, including pedophiles. Let me go ahead and state that sexual desire isn't the sort of thing that goes away the more you explore it, and in fact the opposite is true. Sexual desire tends to increase in strength the more time and energy you put into it, so there is no 'safe' way for someone who is sexually attracted to children to act it out without increasing the likelihood that they're going to offend against a child.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

smug jeebus posted:

Tales from the Loop is basically an unlicensed Stranger Things Rpg isn't it?

It's actually based on some really sweet art books by Simon Stålenhag, the first of which came out in 2015, although the RPG did come after Stranger Things dropped, yeah. I guess it might be called convergent evolution.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

In a vacuum I think that RPG description would be a yellow flag at worst, kid with a hot mom is part of the "wacky hijinks" cliche of 80s and 90s movies, though not a part that aged well. I just looked up the example from Bill & Ted and *shudder* I don't know how much is culture shift and how much is being 35 now and knowing better but that was skeevy as heck. It's in hindsight with later developments that the flag turns to a red one.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

SpaceViking posted:

Hi, I'm a professional counselor and treatment provider who works with people who have committed sex offenses, including pedophiles. Let me go ahead and state that sexual desire isn't the sort of thing that goes away the more you explore it, and in fact the opposite is true. Sexual desire tends to increase in strength the more time and energy you put into it, so there is no 'safe' way for someone who is sexually attracted to children to act it out without increasing the likelihood that they're going to offend against a child.

Hey someone who is actually qualified! Thanks for the info. It's good to have a clear answer on it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Bruceski posted:

In a vacuum I think that RPG description would be a yellow flag at worst, kid with a hot mom is part of the "wacky hijinks" cliche of 80s and 90s movies, though not a part that aged well. I just looked up the example from Bill & Ted and *shudder* I don't know how much is culture shift and how much is being 35 now and knowing better but that was skeevy as heck. It's in hindsight with later developments that the flag turns to a red one.

The description on its own is maybe not a red flag, but the fact that this is the only game in that listing that mentions an age requirement, much less 18+, is like two red flags. Especially because the list also includes two Call of Cthulhu games and a smattering of other horror-themed ones. I'm actually kind of surprised that the organizer didn't pause and do some more digging when the guy wanted a game set up with two warnings for 18+ players. Like hey buddy, what is you are planning to do here exactly?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Ashcans posted:

The description on its own is maybe not a red flag, but the fact that this is the only game in that listing that mentions an age requirement, much less 18+, is like two red flags. Especially because the list also includes two Call of Cthulhu games and a smattering of other horror-themed ones. I'm actually kind of surprised that the organizer didn't pause and do some more digging when the guy wanted a game set up with two warnings for 18+ players. Like hey buddy, what is you are planning to do here exactly?

Somehow I missed seeing that at all. Yikes.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

That game is gross and I'd say running its equivalent at home among consenting players would also be gross.

On the topic of shock tactics to recruit among the little Hitlers, I wonder if the real thing they end up searching for is people who are easily bullied as much as people who are going to be enthusiastic about Bedford Forrest-chan's Night Lolitas. They need people to boss around, obviously; otherwise where's the fun?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It’s probably possible to do a wacky teenage comedy RPG session complete with hot step mom hijinx, but I think it’s one of those things where you basically have to be really sharp and do everything exactly right or it’s gonna come off as insanely creepy.

I certainly wouldn’t do it as a public game random people can sign up for, and I definitely wouldn’t trust that guy to do it.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Loomer posted:

If your kink involves children or other people incapable of consenting - and in this case it does in a way that even the daddy dom stuff doesn't - it doesn't get the usual 'well, whatever floats your boat' protection.

Safe, sane, consensual. That is the standard for differentiating between 'your kink is not my kink but your kink is okay' and 'call the police'. Most reasonable humans have a strong aversion to sexualizing children.

Children are incapable of meaningful consent, same as people with impaired mental function (due to medical status or intoxication) or animals.

That said, it doesn't really apply here. Even if we give it a pass because the players are all consenting adults, this is not a subject matter for a gaming convention. It is always a creepy and violating thing to involve others in your kinks without their knowledge or consent, and that is exactly what this guy is doing by dragging his out into public.

You could maybe argue it off as doing a very 80's coming of age movie thing, but not with his more recent actions to provide context.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Just to provide further info, the sleepover Tales from the Loop was not the game that had the rape scene at the UKGE. As far as I know, the actual game was Things from the Depth, with the description being about some lads going to Ibiza. Which doesn’t exonerate how disgusting it is to run a game like that.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Tekopo posted:

Just to provide further info, the sleepover Tales from the Loop was not the game that had the rape scene at the UKGE. As far as I know, the actual game was Things from the Depth, with the description being about some lads going to Ibiza. Which doesn’t exonerate how disgusting it is to run a game like that.

Where'd you pick that up? I've seen Tales from The Loop reported a lot.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

The BBC report noted it was a Things From the Flood game that he got thrown out over, IIRC. If not it was confirmed by one of the players on Twitter. Think it's a couple pages back in the TG chat thread.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I saw it originally on Twitter on either the twitter of one of the players or the person that found it was Kevin (Jessica price iirc).

The wayback machine doesn’t actually have the pages stored but it does show that the only 18+ game that Kevin ran on Friday was Things from the Flood. There’s no Tales from the Loop 18+ game from him on Friday.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190514210802/https://www.ukgamesexpo.co.uk/bookevents.php?category=rpg

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
I keep using Tales from The Loop and Things from The Flood interchangeably because I'm an idiot.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, the really damning detail isn't the specific game (though I believe that protagonists in Things From the Flood are meant to be teens so there's still some squick there, particularly if they're meant to be pre-age of consent) and more that this was just flung out there a) in open defiance of the con's stated policies and b) without any hint that this was coming.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
A bit of lowkey fash I haven't seen mentioned yet

https://www.facebook.com/TheImperialHerald/

Warhammer 40k "satire" page that basically take various rightwing talking points and rephrases them in a 40k context to avoid getting taken down. I've seen this pop up on FB quite a bit over the past few months and the overall narrative of the thing seems to be Imperium are whites, and Chaos are the myriad combined forces of SJWs, immigrants, Jewish people, the left, etc. Makes the questionable choice of casting their opponents as the more badass faction that is 100% gonna win, which is odd? Generally the mask doesn't slip and they'll always have "it's satire of a dumb sci-fi setting, what are you mad about?" to fall back on because a lot of their topics are niche and rely on intimate knowledge of rightwing talking points. Unsurprisingly these get posted a lot of apolitical 40k groups and don't really get a second glance because if you're not inundated in this poo poo it can be hard to notice.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Deified Data posted:

Makes the questionable choice of casting their opponents as the more badass faction that is 100% gonna win, which is odd?
Naw this is typical with the fascists, see also: :umberto:

Basically if the Evil Hordes aren't within hailing distance of victory AT LEAST, nothing they do makes any sense, there's no need for a fuhrer, etc. You even notice this in their discourse, it's never "We have a great many people crossing the border; we need to spend more money on monitoring and barriers," it's "illegal disaster crisis invasion WALL".

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yup.

Painting themselves as the underdogs making Hard Choices to deal with an overwhelming threat is absolutely the fascist propaganda playbook.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

I had a glance and holy poo poo that's proper fash bullshit. Not even a dogwhistle, just a whistle.

"Spacebook bans Pro-Imperial and Pro-Human groups" at the same time Facebook banned the BNP, EDL, and Britain First

"Astra Miliatarum publishes new guidelines to help spot Imperial extremists in their ranks" right after the British Army's guide to spotting extreme-right-wing soldiers leaked online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

DigitalRaven posted:

I had a glance and holy poo poo that's proper fash bullshit. Not even a dogwhistle, just a whistle.

"Spacebook bans Pro-Imperial and Pro-Human groups" at the same time Facebook banned the BNP, EDL, and Britain First

"Astra Miliatarum publishes new guidelines to help spot Imperial extremists in their ranks" right after the British Army's guide to spotting extreme-right-wing soldiers leaked online.

I mean the imperial extremists thing seems sound.