Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Dogen posted:

The More You Know(tm)

Does anyone have the Bastion Overwatch set? I was browsing at Target and I don’t play overwatch but that set looks pretty cool. How’s the articulation?

I haven't built it yet, but there should be plenty of videos about it. From the couple I watched, it seems like it's pretty much an action figure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big K of Justice
Nov 27, 2005

Anyone seen my ball joints?

The_Doctor posted:

Pro tip: getting a park season pass gets you 20-25% off at the park shop every month.

This reminds me of .. the old premium passport Disney used to have, it was around $500 a year, it covered unlimited access to any global disney park, free parking, 20% off merchandise and food including items at downtown disney/stores including the Lego Store at Disneyland. I picked up a few sets there when I used to have that pass, unofficially the Lego Store in Glendale [LA area], also gave that discount since they were in the same region. I figured it extended to all lego stores, but I tried to use the pass at a lego store in the SF Bay area [San Meteo?] and the manager had to make a few phone calls to figure it out and said it was only the Glendale location that offered it due to its proximity to Disneyland.

That being said, these days the Legoland Park pass would be a great deal for the discount.. considering the Disney route went mega expensive the last few years... all the passes that I used to have are going in the 1000-1500$ a year range now... yikes.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Hey LeGoons, I recently got back into lego model making having not properly used it for a long while. I found someone on EBay who was selling the Lego Architecture Studio set for a reasonable amount.
It was an impulse purchase, but it turned out to work out really well when I made a few models of houses we had designed in the office. I still have to sell a set onto a client, but most weekends I put together a model or two and see how the materials look.

Sets I've picked up so far:
  • Architecture - Studio
  • Architecture - Great Wall of China
  • Architecture - Empire State Building
  • Overwatch - DVa and Reinhardt set
  • Overwatch - Big Bastion set
  • A bulk order of extra blocks to make models

I hope to post up some pictures when I can. I've been having a great time reading through the thread.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Big K of Justice posted:

This reminds me of .. the old premium passport Disney used to have, it was around $500 a year, it covered unlimited access to any global disney park, free parking, 20% off merchandise and food including items at downtown disney/stores including the Lego Store at Disneyland. I picked up a few sets there when I used to have that pass, unofficially the Lego Store in Glendale [LA area], also gave that discount since they were in the same region. I figured it extended to all lego stores, but I tried to use the pass at a lego store in the SF Bay area [San Meteo?] and the manager had to make a few phone calls to figure it out and said it was only the Glendale location that offered it due to its proximity to Disneyland.

That being said, these days the Legoland Park pass would be a great deal for the discount.. considering the Disney route went mega expensive the last few years... all the passes that I used to have are going in the 1000-1500$ a year range now... yikes.

The Disney World annual passes (cheapest for residents is $33~ a month) also get you a discount at the LEGO store in Downtown Disney. It doesn’t apply to every set though. I tried to get one of the new trains at a discount but it didn’t work.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

asecondduck posted:

Okay, here goes:

Lego has a list of sets that retailers are not allowed to sell below the MSRP. If they do, they lose authorization to sell any Lego sets for six months.

I don't think Lego has had to enforce it, at least with any major retailers--there was one incident of a major retailer selling a set on the list at a cheaper price online recently, but because the retailer cancelled the orders that were placed before they shipped out, they were allowed to keep selling sets through the holiday season.

The sets on the list almost seems arbitrary, but it's usually new or newish $200+ sets. Licensing ends up being a factor because licensed sets end up being more expensive, but it isn't all licensed sets. None of the Overwatch sets were on the list, which is how Target and Walmart were selling them for 20% off or whatever it was the day they launched.

This is pretty standard for sales/retail. A ton of manufacturers have very specific guidelines as to how far from MSRP you can go, especially if they're brands that work directly with a retailer instead of using some kind of wholesale middleman. I know for a fact that Apple is super stingy about that sort of thing. It's especially typical of manufacturers that themselves sell direct to the public as well.

It's all negotiated at the corporate level, which is why some places like big box chain stores get away with it while others don't. Target just says "Okay, we won't carry your product" and a manufacturer just loses a huge distribution US outlet. Hell, it's how Walmart has continued it's sustained dominance. (I mean, outside labor violations etc.)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Update on hanging UCS sets from the ceiling. I pussed out lol.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

IG-88 posted:

The Disney World annual passes (cheapest for residents is $33~ a month) also get you a discount at the LEGO store in Downtown Disney. It doesn’t apply to every set though. I tried to get one of the new trains at a discount but it didn’t work.

I think it’s $17 a month now for FL residents (with $128 upfront) for the cheapest option. I looked this up recently because my parents just bought a house in FL.

Last time I was at the Lego store in Disney Springs, I noticed a fair few of the bigger sets had ‘no discount’ next to the prices.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Here's a bad photo of the Overwatch models I picked up earlier in the week.

The limited posing you can do with Reinhardt and DVa is a bit annoying, but they were fun to build and have a lot of useful pieces for future models.
Bastion was a beast though, so many ball sockets. The transformation to Turret mode needs some work though, it felt really unbalanced.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Great choice of game in the background, I assume you are a BR King?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I never got Bad Rats when someone was giving it away and I always kind of regretted it.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

The_Doctor posted:

I think it’s $17 a month now for FL residents (with $128 upfront) for the cheapest option. I looked this up recently because my parents just bought a house in FL.

Last time I was at the Lego store in Disney Springs, I noticed a fair few of the bigger sets had ‘no discount’ next to the prices.

Yeah, there are cheaper options, you're right. The blackout dates suck though and parking isn't included.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Zedd posted:

Great choice of game in the background, I assume you are a BR King?

Just needed a background that didn't overpower the models, but yeah, I suffered through that thing all those years ago.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

PowerBeard posted:

Just needed a background that didn't overpower the models, but yeah, I suffered through that thing all those years ago.
Could have turned it off, but this was the better choice. :v:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Got my LEM and patch at the Tukwila store today, and they introduced me to something new. An employee, who I believe is somewhat new, created the PAB Atlas. A binder with some collectible card pages, tabbed into colors, with one of every PAB brick they have but isn't on display. The store manager is trying to get it adopted at other stores, but isn't having much luck.
Ask for the atlas, and if there's a piece in there you want, they'll bring out the box for you to take your fill of.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Pyroclastic posted:

Got my LEM and patch at the Tukwila store today, and they introduced me to something new. An employee, who I believe is somewhat new, created the PAB Atlas. A binder with some collectible card pages, tabbed into colors, with one of every PAB brick they have but isn't on display. The store manager is trying to get it adopted at other stores, but isn't having much luck.
Ask for the atlas, and if there's a piece in there you want, they'll bring out the box for you to take your fill of.

Oh poo poo Tukwila is a bit of a drive but this sounds enticing.

Ed: only 25 min drive. Hmmmm.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jun 3, 2019

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Oh, if you're mentioning Tukwila - they sell *some* Lego sets at the Boeing Store at King Field near the Museum of Flight. I was able to pick up an Apollo 11 set there for a friend and they had a running 10-15% off discount (at that time) on everything in the store. Picked it up for a shade over $100.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Tukwila is a couple hours North of me but I do get up there sometimes. Good luck with your new job!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Yay?

https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/1135531664518635520

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

My partner's sister is quite autistic and loves Minions. She has lots of the Mega blocks ones and so she will love this. Interesting that they got the license from them, didn't that happen with SpongeBob too?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
I always appreciate lego releasing sets I don't care about.

I just got an e-mail saying VIP is changing so that you can do more things with it. Also says there will be more ways to earn points and possibly earn more points.

Also for you Disney folks, the D2C disney train is apparently in production and leaks are starting.

Scipiotik fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 3, 2019

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Scipiotik posted:

I just got an e-mail saying VIP is changing so that you can do more things with it. Also says there will be more ways to earn points and possibly earn more points.

It’s finally going to be an Apple wallet/ android whatever card, so I can retire my taped together VIP card!

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Dogen posted:

It’s finally going to be an Apple wallet/ android whatever card, so I can retire my taped together VIP card!

That'll be nice since i stepped on my card and it's all bent and parts have broken off of it. I get shamed every time I go to the store!

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I just give them my phone #. I mean, I tattooed my VIP card to my forehead so I just head butt their POS system.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Waltzing Along posted:

I just give them my phone #. I mean, I tattooed my VIP card to my forehead so I just head butt their POS system.

Well now you’re going to have to get an NFC chip implanted, but at least you’ll get to continue making a brand loyalty statement.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm down, the films are pretty fun and there could be some cool sets from this.

Scipiotik posted:

That'll be nice since i stepped on my card and it's all bent and parts have broken off of it. I get shamed every time I go to the store!

Can't you just get a new card?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

s.i.r.e. posted:

Can't you just get a new card?

Possibly. But I don't know how, and now it doesn't matter.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I tried once and it’s surprisingly annoying so an employee at my store just taped mine up.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I’ve got a taped one too, although they have offered to give me a new one in store, so I think they can transfer membership numbers around?

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I just give them my email address, you don't need the card at all.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Scipiotik posted:

Possibly. But I don't know how, and now it doesn't matter.

Call consumer services. They'll send you a new card, and move your account over to a it. To use your new card while it's being sent, you'll have to give your phone number/email address in store.

If you email them they'll tell you to call.

Oh an hopefully you remember/know the address on the account, because they'll ask you for it.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Hopper posted:

I just give them my email address, you don't need the card at all.

Kind of like how at the self checkout at stop and shop you just hit "forgot my card" and it inputs a default card for you automatically, don't even need to be a member. I bet a lot of stores are the same

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I can't think of a single store that actually requires you to carry the card around. poo poo, I think the only one I actually keep a card for is Lego and I just punch in my phone # everywhere else.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

Kind of like how at the self checkout at stop and shop you just hit "forgot my card" and it inputs a default card for you automatically, don't even need to be a member. I bet a lot of stores are the same

This only works in certain states, because some states have laws that sort of, in the right light, make store membership cards illegal and people would rather not tempt the dragon.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I just bought the Overwatch Rein/D.Va set for myself and the Imperial AT Hauler, which was on special at 120 down from 150, for some friends' wedding present. Semi excited to build my OW set, the models look cool.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

My soon-to-be-ex brother in law used to work for Lego, and so my now adult niece and nephew have almost every Lego set made in the last 20 years or so, including some uncommon stuff, and few items that were employee-only. That Deathstar with like 40 minifigs? yup, as well as every X-Wing set every made, and several of the big AT-ATs, and at least one big Star Destroyer. Harry Potter Christmas train? Yup, with an extra 20 feet of track. Literally millions of bricks.

BUT NOW, EVERYTHING MUST GO!

My sister's new Bricklink shop:
https://store.bricklink.com/LBrickinator

Everything with original box and instructions!
What is currently listed is just a fraction of what she has, she is still sorting and counting and so forth (she is super anal, which is a good thing for a project like this).
She is starting out with the Friends stuff, because it's easiest to sort.

Anyway, check out her store, more to come.

If you would be interested in a bulk purchase of sets, are willing to drive to Pennsylvania to pick them up, and have CASH, then I can arrange for a private showing of the collection.

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Squashy Nipples posted:

My soon-to-be-ex brother in law used to work for Lego, and so my now adult niece and nephew have almost every Lego set made in the last 20 years or so, including some uncommon stuff, and few items that were employee-only. That Deathstar with like 40 minifigs? yup, as well as every X-Wing set every made, and several of the big AT-ATs, and at least one big Star Destroyer. Harry Potter Christmas train? Yup, with an extra 20 feet of track. Literally millions of bricks.

What is currently listed is just a fraction of what she has, she is still sorting and counting and so forth (she is super anal, which is a good thing for a project like this).

If you would be interested in a bulk purchase of sets, are willing to drive to Pennsylvania to pick them up, and have CASH, then I can arrange for a private showing of the collection.

Can you ask her how long it took to get her Bricklist account verified for sales? I’ve been waiting almost a month and yes, I’ve sent a few emails with all the documents they need.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Squashy Nipples posted:

What part of Pennsylvania?

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

IG-88 posted:

Can you ask her how long it took to get her Bricklist account verified for sales? I’ve been waiting almost a month and yes, I’ve sent a few emails with all the documents they need.

A few weeks? I seem to remember her grumbling about it.

tomapot posted:

What part of Pennsylvania?

Just outside of Allentown, about an hour north of Philly.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

Spacestation won the fanvote ideas contest. Double the votes of Stitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Scipiotik posted:

Spacestation won the fanvote ideas contest. Double the votes of Stitch.

Which is honestly a shame because Stitch is awesome and that ISS looks boring as hell.