Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Oh i thought it would have been the thin blue line/ bluelives matter flag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Basically yes

Right on. That’s.. cool.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Chichevache posted:

What's the flag for people that want to gently caress but no one wants to gently caress them?

A CS degree?

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Too fair to worship, too divine to love...

Your daily dose of Joe Biden loving sucks news

https://twitter.com/gijoeyjoejoe/status/1134096510210068481?s=21

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

was this posted yet

World Populace Actually Fine With Rich People Dying On Mount Everest

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

I can understand people thinking Warren was dumb because of gramma told us we were part native thing and going on about it for decades but this should be making those same people furious on a whole new level and it seems like they don't care because he's the dem chosen one this time. Bernie would be crucified if it turned or he had been lying about marching back then but mr touchy feely gets a pass?

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

I thought The Onion was satire?

E: It's pretty crazy that it's a serious problem that the summit is polluted with trash and dead bodies you can't remove.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Not sure if GBS still has the seasonal Everest thread but those were always great

Especially that one year following the Canadian woman who had sherpas haul a banner with a photo of her to base camp. Ended up dying of her own hubris, amongst other factors like being the first client for a new company

I just don’t get why it’s still such a thing. Do rich challenge chasers just really need a story to tell at fancy dinner parties? There’s so many other mountains, both easier and much harder (K2). Never mind much cheaper.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 4, 2019

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

is there an Everest thread this year? i'll read through it, those are a hoot

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Everest threads are to GBS what the CE threads are to GiP. 👏🏿

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

GBS Everest Thread. Currently at 37 pages

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
GBS does have an Everest thread. I lurk but it's pretty tame this year

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

The Everest threads are to GBS what the CE threads are to GiP. 👏🏿

also the game thread

but yea 100%

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

What’s the game thread? Just random video game chat?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

basically, its usually near the top of my bookmarks so i figured it got traffic, usually under ce and nondrunk chat

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

The good everest thread is the GBS everest thread from a few years ago that moved to Take A Hike and just kept on going without the annual influx of outraged white knights lining up to defend the honor of rich tourists who died while making hilariously stupid choices

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Not sure if GBS still has the seasonal Everest thread but those were always great

Especially that one year following the Canadian woman who had sherpas haul a banner with a photo of her to base camp. Ended up dying of her own hubris, amongst other factors like being the first client for a new company

I just don’t get why it’s still such a thing. Do rich challenge chasers just really need a story to tell at fancy dinner parties? There’s so many other mountains, both easier and much harder (K2). Never mind much cheaper.

The thing that made that story sad for me is that the lady was like solidly middle class wasn't she? She had to save for years and crowd funded it cause it was just her dream to climb the dang mountain or something

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Sadness is anyone continuing to go there at all after the mountain demonstrated its absolute contempt for mankind by capriciously murking Ueli Steck, the undisputed G.O.A.T. of alpining.

Everest killed a dude who free climbed the north face of the Eiger in 3 hours and people still look at that and say "hold my beer".

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jun 4, 2019

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
/\ Steck tempted fate, it bit him in the rear end. That's just life sometimes.

Gonna bookmark that for later.

Nepal should charge a $250k deposit per head in the event a person dying up there. Use the money to equip and pay sherpas better to go up the mountain with empty packs and down with trash and body parts. Live, and you get your deposit back. Die, and the sherpas can have legal authority to chop your body down for easier transport.

No normal person can afford to go to Everest, base camp alone is out of reach of most, unless you're living out your last days on credit and cancer. I wish more rich people would tackle K2 or Annapurna, those mountains crave blood and I'm fine with feeding them the wealthy.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 4, 2019

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

imo the validation stamp for everest permits should be stored at the summit of K2

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

shame on an IGA posted:

imo the validation stamp for everest permits should be stored at the summit of K2

absolutely brilliant

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

shame on an IGA posted:

omg yes

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

That's the flag for people who got hosed.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
https://twitter.com/oldtiredfeminis/status/1135567904659972096

John McCain never died, he just moved into Trump's worm-riddled brain and is living there rent free.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I went through a phase where I devoured climbing poo poo. I remember some doc with a pro climber, and this always stuck with me-
"You plan birthday parties on Everest. You die on K2.", or something very much to that effect.

Yep, I'm good watching poo poo in 4k and eating Smores.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

My pops, I think, has made his peace with not climbing Everest. He's climbed all the other highest mountains on the other continents except Antarctica and is content repeatedly going to Nepal every couple years and climbing stuff like Mera Peak and Himlung Himal as parts of longer treks.

E: which is good, because I like my dad and would rather not get a phone call one day about how he died waiting in line.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jun 4, 2019

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I really enjoy that fact that Everest is so well mapped out and well traveled, but people still manage to die like idiots while paying a bunch of money for the privilege.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Put a guillotine at the top

Tryzzub
Jan 1, 2007

Mudslide Experiment

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

Put a guillotine at the top

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Everest is nature's guillotine.

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

I can't figure out what else fills the space between.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

ded posted:

I really enjoy that fact that Everest is so well mapped out and well traveled, but people still manage to die like idiots while paying a bunch of money for the privilege.

The season is short and weather can still hit you out of nowhere. If your Sherpa says you need to get off the mountain, even if you're 100 feet from the top, get off the mountain.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'd be content just to go trekking in the area. Less money and less chance of dying in a freak accident.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ded posted:

I mean they’re still traversing janky ladder bridges and such

But mostly it’s people being told by sherpas “we need to turn around or we will die” and them going “I paid all this money and came all this way, onward!” Hell I’d wager most deaths are in the dead zone on the way back

Casimir Radon posted:

I'd be content just to go trekking in the area. Less money and less chance of dying in a freak accident.

Most people won’t settle for less but apparently just going to base camp and exploring the surrounding areas/trails is an awesome experience

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
The southeast route on Everest is a relatively easy climb now, its just that between the altitude and environment, you have virtually no margin for error. By just getitng to Camp IV you're in the death zone. Storm comes in early? Dead. HAPE/HACE? Dead. Can't get back down the Hillary Step? Dead.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

sounds like a challenge I’m in

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Proud Christian Mom posted:

The southeast route on Everest is a relatively easy climb now, its just that between the altitude and environment, you have virtually no margin for error. By just getitng to Camp IV you're in the death zone. Storm comes in early? Dead. HAPE/HACE? Dead. Can't get back down the Hillary Step? Dead.

According to the Everest thread, the Hillary step isn't there anymore- demolished in a quake.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

basically, its usually near the top of my bookmarks so i figured it got traffic, usually under ce and nondrunk chat

Almost 15 years in and I still don't bookmark threads.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

bulletsponge13 posted:

I went through a phase where I devoured climbing poo poo. I remember some doc with a pro climber, and this always stuck with me-
"You plan birthday parties on Everest. You die on K2.", or something very much to that effect.

Yep, I'm good watching poo poo in 4k and eating Smores.

Speaking of K2, I didn't know someone finally did a descent on skis from the summit last year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZRqeRRik8c

I was expecting a dumb, insane extreme sport kind of thing, with a guy barreling down at breakneck speed, but it's mostly him gradually sliding down, looking like he's going "oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress," and even that is still insanely dangerous and borderline suicidal.

3 and a half days to ascend, 7 hours to come down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

EBB posted:

Almost 15 years in and I still don't bookmark threads.

I just started doing it like a year ago