Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Wrex Ruckus posted:

It’s an inauspicious end to a collaboration between uncommonly talented and very funny indie developers. Barkley Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden was a weird passion project made in their free time, and it was exciting to think about what they could do with some actual funding. One of the most enduring jokes in the first Barkley game comes from a confusing Wikipedia line wondering whether or not the film Space Jam was canon to Michale Jordan’s life, or the Looney Tunes’. It’s also the ethos of Shut Up and Jam Barkley: Gaiden in a single line—every silly joke and offhand idea became a joke of some sort, and therefore canon. Because of this, Barkley had a life outside of itself, like a weird bit of late-2000s performance art. So it is with Barkley 2. Unfortunately, there’s not much to laugh at this time.

What the gently caress is this writing :roflolmao:

Dude was so eager to end his article with some deep conclusion he even misspelled Michael Jordan's name.

BattleHamster fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Jun 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
I’m just glad that all those years of bumping this thread with nonsense and keeping it alive amounted to anything, let alone something as interesting as what we have here.

It’s also nice seeing everyone be so cool about it. It’s refreshing to not have to see a collective meltdown in response to bad news anywhere on the internet, that’s rare these days.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Burpley

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

was the al bhed translation scrapped or did it survive

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
I just want to know what you got for having all four library cards

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
posting this again because the imgur link on page 38 was down

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
is it out y- huh?

Krakox
Oct 9, 2012
I want to release all those who worked so hard on this from their obligations of making it, to disperse information about what working on it was like when they feel the urge, and for asset dumps to rain from the sky. I am thankful for those who made good content. I only wish i got the content packs and the body pillow

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
So almost half the games in the tales of games' game pack were random old stuff I made ages ago, often with music by chef, some of it with other contributors. A lot of other games were old stuff from GZ that you can probably find online too.

I could probably release some of that eventually. Some of em are old Ludum Dare game entries, or from various game jams. They all had a bit of extra polish to make them more presentable that I worked on for about a month before we sent out the pack.

One of them in particular Im particularly proud of, this diving-for-treasure game called Plunderers that I initially made in 5 hours but then spent an extra week on for the pack release.

I made a prototype of a space-themed spiritual successor more recently called Space Junk Scavengers, with a bit more combat to it.

Another was an early prototype of Non-Human, a really fun shooter I made for a tigsource game jam around remaking various games from Action52. I was working on that game pretty hard, but "temporarily" put it on hold when Barkley2 went in full swing, thinking Id be back at it as soon as Barkley2 is done... welp

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

The firefighting game with aliens was fantastic. I still think about it a lot.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

what was the game where you play as a frying pan and is that still available online? I feel like the title was just a random string of numbers. I have no idea how familiar people are or aren't with that game but I remember playing it years ago

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

The sheer absurdity of Barkley 2 as it was being made was beyond my imagining. Thank you guys for writing these insider posts. I would love to see more info if you have any.

Sleeveless posted:

Don't let all the people tripping over themselves to assure you that they are more than happy to spend $30 on jpegs of guns make you think that you aren't a colossal failure and a laughingstock even by the standards of failed gaming kickstarters.

I don't think anyone is happy about what happened. I have to wonder how much money you spent on the game to make you so bitter after all these years. You make it sound like Barkley 2 ruined your life or something.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

posting this again because the imgur link on page 38 was down

From what I recall this image isn't actually from the game but it was a source of inspiration for the game's look and tone.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Sleeveless posted:

In the time it took everyone working on Barkley 2 to make absolutely nothing despite making more than triple what they asked for the guy who made The Demon Rush completed four games, two of which are official PS4 releases, and has a fifth one in active development with his most recent update coming out a week ago.

Star Citizen has been playable for years and is still putting out updates and has more than two hundred thousand active players right now.

The Ouya was actually completed, released, was directly responsible for multiple critically acclaimed and successful games and is still at this very moment active and operating.

Even Doobie managed to open and run his hotdog restaurant.

Don't let all the people tripping over themselves to assure you that they are more than happy to spend $30 on jpegs of guns make you think that you aren't a colossal failure and a laughingstock even by the standards of failed gaming kickstarters.

definitely interested in all this stuff about Star Citizen, ouya, doobie, teh demons freakin rush, etc. keep talkin about it ...thats what im here for

EA Sports
Feb 10, 2007

by Azathoth

romanowski posted:

what was the game where you play as a frying pan and is that still available online? I feel like the title was just a random string of numbers. I have no idea how familiar people are or aren't with that game but I remember playing it years ago

http://gzstorm.com/

FrankieSmileShow
Jun 1, 2011

wuzzathang
Vidiot Game and The Sewer Goblet are also on that site, both games were also in the game pack.
Chillout on that site was a game he made for the same game jam I made "Non-Human" for, a remake of an action52 game.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
What was the name of the weird VN that was just released?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

FrankieSmileShow posted:

Vidiot Game and The Sewer Goblet are also on that site, both games were also in the game pack.
Chillout on that site was a game he made for the same game jam I made "Non-Human" for, a remake of an action52 game.

Can I get a link to this RPG you're working on that everyone's looking forward to now that The Hoopz Barkley SaGa is no more?

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

awesome, thanks

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
the gun was the friends we made along the way, in this hosed up worthless cyber hell of an existence

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

A suitable song while browsing the thread:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7YEv_GJwkY

I'm torn about all of this. On the one hand, I was wondering why this couldn't be a more simpler game, because all that ambition led to something completely unsustainable. LISA and Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass were two fabulous games created by one person, albeit on RPG Maker, which is probably simpler to use than just making it all from scratch. I'm not a game designer, though, so I don't know for sure.

On the other hand, there were some really good ideas thrown around and it's a shame it couldn't come together, both from a design standpoint and a personal life standpoint.
I actually gagged, good video otherwise

cboy posted:

Yeah, I'll upload it soon. The computer I used to make the Barkley music is borked at the moment, so it'll be a while before I can upload all of it, but it's some of my favorite music I've ever written. I can't remember how many songs there were, and obviously not all were complete, but it was a lot.
Thanks so much! Take as long as you need to, I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

imo i'm satisfied writing my $75 off as payment for barkley 1, the dark draker story, and investment in a fleeting dream of a beautiful cyberdwarf future

also i was making a shitload more money back then

Modus Pwnens posted:

What was the name of the weird VN that was just released?

i feel like that question has as many answers as there are nobs on a bball

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Sleeveless posted:

Star Citizen has been playable for years and is still putting out updates and has more than two hundred thousand active players right now.

lol at the idea that star citizen, a project that has squandered tens of millions of dollars, is anything resembling a successful crowdfunding campaign

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

Mighty Dicktron posted:

lol at the idea that star citizen, a project that has squandered tens of millions of dollars, is anything resembling a successful crowdfunding campaign

agreed. anyway ToG you should really consider opening a second kickstarter. I know I'd donate to help get this released

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Patware posted:

i feel like that question has as many answers as there are nobs on a bball

The one that was ToG adjacent

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

At the end of the day they failed for the same reasons but Star Citizen is literally several orders of magnitude the scale of Barkley 2.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

get that OUT of my face posted:

I'm torn about all of this. On the one hand, I was wondering why this couldn't be a more simpler game, because all that ambition led to something completely unsustainable. LISA and Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass were two fabulous games created by one person, albeit on RPG Maker, which is probably simpler to use than just making it all from scratch. I'm not a game designer, though, so I don't know for sure.

im a wannabe dev and solo programmer on a project and its uhh super loving hard to keep yourself from biting off more than you can chew. In my case I had "didn't know enough to know when scope is out of hand and infeasible" exacerbating poo poo, but its still insanely hard to come out and say "oh yah all that cool poo poo we planned, and workshopped, and maybe even spent a couple dozen months working on? its actually never happening, ever."

to paraphrase an alan moore comic, its like tearing off your own arm.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
This is the best thread in the entire forum now lol.

drat these ideas are actually so cool, I’m happy to see how everyone respond to this. And I’m happy all b2 devs have been posting details! Thanks so much guys, it sucks that it got like this but there’s no shame, poo poo happens. I’m just glad you’re all ok

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

DoctorStrangelove posted:

From what I recall this image isn't actually from the game but it was a source of inspiration for the game's look and tone.

It says 1990 & the artist's signature in the corner :-P

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I haven’t followed Barkley 2 at all but is there any reason somebody else couldn’t just... take the major ideas from this dead game and start the project over from scratch?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

cboy posted:

I think we were just too young and too ambitious and I want to say we tried to fly too close to the sun, but I don't think we ever took off. What we have is great, but I failed. And I'm sorry. I don't know what I can do to at least partially make things right, but I welcome suggestions.

You don't owe us anything, but if you still have the music you made for the game, it would be cool to bundle it all up and offer it to us so that we may listen to what may have been.

Ada
Apr 22, 2014

Practice proper gun's safety.

I. M. Gei posted:

I haven’t followed Barkley 2 at all but is there any reason somebody else couldn’t just... take the major ideas from this dead game and start the project over from scratch?

Time and effort, the same reason that stops anyone from doing anything.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
All of these systems sound...interesting in theory at least, but I probably wouldn't have enjoyed them. All I really wanted in a Barkley sequel was a slightly more polished Barkley 1. I understand you guys wanted to not just make a funny game, but a good funny game but I'd have felt like it was missing the point of what made people love the first game. Maybe I'm in the minority on this.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
I went from disappointed, to "yeah, okay, the project sounded like a mess," and now full circle to, "dang Barkley 2 sounded great"

If I could pay another $10 to chain you to this hell for another six years I'd do it but I suppose that would be cruel

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tiler Kiwi posted:

im a wannabe dev and solo programmer on a project and its uhh super loving hard to keep yourself from biting off more than you can chew. In my case I had "didn't know enough to know when scope is out of hand and infeasible" exacerbating poo poo, but its still insanely hard to come out and say "oh yah all that cool poo poo we planned, and workshopped, and maybe even spent a couple dozen months working on? its actually never happening, ever."

to paraphrase an alan moore comic, its like tearing off your own arm.
That sounds legit. I imagine that making so much more than expected on Kickstarter doesn't help with showing restraint, either.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
But with all sincerity thank you to all the TOGsters for undertaking this crazed venture, and I hope you all can go forward creating things that make you happy.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxx9cRHt7_M

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Modus Pwnens posted:

I went from disappointed, to "yeah, okay, the project sounded like a mess," and now full circle to, "dang Barkley 2 sounded great"

If I could pay another $10 to chain you to this hell for another six years I'd do it but I suppose that would be cruel
it would also be a waste of money because the game still would not get finished

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Correct. It's the album cover for Overlord X's X Versus The World, released in 1990.

edit: beaten :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't want the game to be finished. Let it be the lesson learned, don't loving chain yourselves to an idea from 6 years ago, move on and do better things.

Any ideas that worked and worked well can just be used in other projects. Let Hoopz die. He's earned it.

Also zaubers