Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

HitTheTargets posted:

If Mozu is anything like Donnel in Awakening, level 10 is about when they start holding their own.

Unlike Donnel (if I remember correctly, I think he promoted into a base class, not a promoted one, from villager. But I may be totally misremembering that), you can immediately reclass Mozu and she loses nothing for doing so. Then she starts contributing almost immediately after a level or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Obligatum VII posted:

Unlike Donnel (if I remember correctly, I think he promoted into a base class, not a promoted one, from villager. But I may be totally misremembering that), you can immediately reclass Mozu and she loses nothing for doing so. Then she starts contributing almost immediately after a level or two.

Mozu's base class isn't even that bad. It's a net +70% to growth rates which is perfectly on par with other class (the general range is 70% - 80%); although 20% of that is in Luck. It's really just the fact that she starts at level 1 with incredibly low strength, but using pair up or assists to get her a few levels early on fixes that very quickly.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

In the anime the main plot is Chome going into the hotsprings and meeting up/running away from the various people he meets there. Meanwhile the Nohr/Hoshido conflict is filler episodes.

I'm picturing anime MASH where it's mostly about a boozed up Reina and Scarlet trying to keep the war from interrupting more important things, like hook-ups and gambling.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Obligatum VII posted:

Technically, Villager didn't promote at all in Awakening; Donnel needed to use a Second Seal (which was inexplicably renamed Heart Seal between games) or a DLC item to get a combat-credible class.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Kuvo posted:

phone posting from 33k feet, I'll update the formatting later
:frog:
https://youtu.be/B5PceOkcqLo

So, maybe :thejoke: but since you said you had a friend translate it I'll point it out: the Japanese printed above the lyrics is not even remotely what's being sung. My listening comprehension isn't great and is worse in song, so the english subtitles might be correct, but the Japanese text is 100% not the Japanese lyrics.

ed: why do I pause the video to comment when literally the next thing said in it is what I'm commenting. Never mind.

Akratic Method fucked around with this message at 05:10 on May 28, 2019

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Akratic Method posted:

So, maybe :thejoke: but since you said you had a friend translate it I'll point it out: the Japanese printed above the lyrics is not even remotely what's being sung. My listening comprehension isn't great and is worse in song, so the english subtitles might be correct, but the Japanese text is 100% not the Japanese lyrics.

Robert Denby posted:

Oh my god the Venus Wars song was just perfect.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Akratic Method posted:

For what it's worth, the English subtitles aren't "correct" either :v:

it's definitely appropriate for the LP though

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Yeah, I should have watched that all the way through, it got progressively more ridiculous until it was obvious.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CptWedgie posted:

Technically, Villager didn't promote at all in Awakening; Donnel needed to use a Second Seal (which was inexplicably renamed Heart Seal between games) or a DLC item to get a combat-credible class.

They renamed the seals because Fates added a bunch of different reclass seals. Like, three of them that all do basically the same thing.

Fates adds a lot of complexity without much depth.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Fates has so much dumb bullshit in it its crazy. It's hard to believe that the company that made this mess went on to make Shadows of Valentia.

The most unfocused game in the series to one of the tightest in like a year and a half.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Fates has so much dumb bullshit in it its crazy. It's hard to believe that the company that made this mess went on to make Shadows of Valentia.

The most unfocused game in the series to one of the tightest in like a year and a half.

Fates suffered because they were simultaneously too ambitious and too determined to play into what worked with previous games. It’s a set of games that has everything they could think of tossed into it, but nothing resembling a coherent vision to make any of it work. It sold great thanks to shooting for just so many fanfic-style ideas, but had no substance behind it to speak of. The only thing I will say positive about any of these games is that they did add some good ideas to the battle system.

Shadows of Valentina worked because it just expanded on a previous story. It was a simple narrative that worked. Its postgame quest even managed to do what Fates tried and failed to do: use ideas and story from Awakening in a way that actually works for both games.

If not for SoV, I wouldn’t have been willing to give Three Houses a shot at all.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Like, the entire castle in a pocket dimension thing could've been enough gimmick. The Hoshido/Nohr split in unit types and story branches could've been enough. Just being Awakening with a new coat of paint is a very technical definition of "enough".

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

HitTheTargets posted:

Like, the entire castle in a pocket dimension thing could've been enough gimmick. The Hoshido/Nohr split in unit types and story branches could've been enough. Just being Awakening with a new coat of paint is a very technical definition of "enough".

"Gimmick" is not enough to make a good game, unfortunately. What they really needed was the writing and technical skill to make it all work (and, apparently, a more coherent dev team). And maybe a bit less "idiot protagonist;" I, for one, don't enjoy reading about the misadventures of a guy who's completely out of his depth from start to finish. I mean, it's okay if they put someone like that in there, even as a playable character, but the game really suffers from them making him the main character.

Azura's secrecy without an explanation and the vast number of events that have no lead-in or follow-up both hurt it, too; you'd think Chome would at least think to mention that his sword EXPLODED (from the looks of things, the script only said that the Queen died, without bothering to specify how, and the Invisible Man exploding the Blatantly Cursed Sword was pure improvisation). Popular opinion also seems to be that the "branching paths" thing was another detriment. And, of course, Kaze dying pointlessly if you're not good enough friends with him... in exactly one route.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Akratic Method posted:

Yeah, I should have watched that all the way through, it got progressively more ridiculous until it was obvious.

fwiw, the (poorly machine translated) japaneese has some messages in it

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

CptWedgie posted:

"Gimmick" is not enough to make a good game, unfortunately. What they really needed was the writing and technical skill to make it all work (and, apparently, a more coherent dev team). And maybe a bit less "idiot protagonist;" I, for one, don't enjoy reading about the misadventures of a guy who's completely out of his depth from start to finish. I mean, it's okay if they put someone like that in there, even as a playable character, but the game really suffers from them making him the main character.

Azura's secrecy without an explanation and the vast number of events that have no lead-in or follow-up both hurt it, too; you'd think Chome would at least think to mention that his sword EXPLODED (from the looks of things, the script only said that the Queen died, without bothering to specify how, and the Invisible Man exploding the Blatantly Cursed Sword was pure improvisation). Popular opinion also seems to be that the "branching paths" thing was another detriment. And, of course, Kaze dying pointlessly if you're not good enough friends with him... in exactly one route.

The problem with Corrin isn't that s/he's out of their depth. It's that nobody ever calls them on it and forces them to grow up. Everyone just lines up to pander to him, excuse whatever mistakes they make, and clean up after their messes. They just bumble along and get praised for being just so gosh darn "kind". It's not like they do anything to earn their praise like make tough decisions, save others, inspire armies, or make the plans for the group to follow. They just keep getting what they want because everyone wants to please them because the siblings are desperate for their approval (except Takumi who is insulted for not doing so) and a magic sword floated into their hands.

The game completely ignoring the cloaked figure that made the obviously evil sword blow up is almost as bad as the plot completely forgetting that Corrin is part dragon after the initial transformation. You'd think turning into a giant monster at will would be special enough, but nope. They just had to have a gaudy gold sword.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 22:02 on May 28, 2019

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Kuvo posted:

fwiw, the (poorly machine translated) japaneese has some messages in it

I forgot to post this yesterday, but things I learned:
- Scarlet's JP name is Crimson
- clearly we should be spelling Chome as Choume instead
- if we're gonna make up kanji for Chome's name, I'd use 腸 (intestines) instead of 丁 :v:

On another note here's a page from the upcoming Chome Emblem manga adaption, featuring André Scarlet and Oscar Chome

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I really wish the Chomesexual characters could support anybody

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Awakening's child determining system was cool for that game but it'd take a better villain and plot to justify bringing it back. (The idea behind it is that you've got your main characters and then most of them already have kids in the future already. But they only come to the past once you've paired someone up to S-rank)

Pairing up, dual attacks, the portraits changing depending on how effective your attack is going to be, infinite weapon uses and the attack animation quality are all good and I like them.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I really wish the Chomesexual characters could support anybody

Yet another tragedy of the 14,000,605 rewrites. Scarlet and Reina are way too cool to have only Chome to bounce off of. Imagine Reina getting a chance to talk with Felicia.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Geostomp posted:

The problem with Corrin isn't that s/he's out of their depth. It's that nobody ever calls them on it and forces them to grow up. Everyone just lines up to pander to him, excuse whatever mistakes they make, and clean up after their messes. They just bumble along and get praised for being just so gosh darn "kind". It's not like they do anything to earn their praise like make tough decisions, save others, inspire armies, or make the plans for the group to follow. They just keep getting what they want because everyone wants to please them because the siblings are desperate for their approval (except Takumi who is insulted for not doing so) and a magic sword floated into their hands.

The game completely ignoring the cloaked figure that made the obviously evil sword blow up is almost as bad as the plot completely forgetting that Corrin is part dragon after the initial transformation. You'd think turning into a giant monster at will would be special enough, but nope. They just had to have a gaudy gold sword.

I don't think any character in Fates has intellect exceeding Corrin's. I don't want to go too deep into spoilers as my experience is with Conquest, but we've already pointed out Hinoka being a dumbass unable to save Kaze, literally everything out of Azura's mouth, etc. Who exactly is going to stand up to Corrin and tell him no? Sure, we can claim Scarlet and Reina are intelligent and awesome, but they're loving morons just by virtue of placing themselves under Corrin's command.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Sure, we can claim Scarlet and Reina are intelligent and awesome, but they're loving morons just by virtue of placing themselves under Corrin's command.

You say that, but remember that people who don't befriend Corrin quickly enough to their liking routinely get involved in tragic "accidents", no matter how otherwise loyal they've proven themselves to be. May be best to stay on their good side, for health's sake.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
edit: Actually nevermind

booksnake fucked around with this message at 06:37 on May 29, 2019

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
:frog: new video
Ep 30 - Pleasure Palace

castle upgrades, wh40k villains, lupus, family reunions

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

This episode has left me wondering whether it's possible, in theory, that someone could airbrush a scene rad enough to make Chome's dragon form actually look good instead of ridiculous.

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Near as I can tell, the brown balls in the lottery give you stuff that needs to be used in buildings (whether it's the Forge or the Mess Hall is random), while silver gives actual items. Usually weapons, but I think they can give Vulneraries too. What's weird is that, from what I'm reading at Serenes, the prizes for gold balls are actually less useful than the silver ones on average; most of the weapons there are Silver-tier (which, as previously stated, are terrible for long-term usage due to applying a stacking debuff to the user), gimmick weapons (like Venge weapons, which have 2x power when countering at the cost of being basically incapable of dodging), weapons with more range that are locked to ONLY attacking at that range (terrible for obvious reasons; yes, that includes bows, too- they can give range 3 bows or shuriken, when I prefer range 1-2 weapons for their flexibility), and Dual weapons (which could actually be useful due to reversing the weapon triangle, since there're so many classes locked to a single weapon type).

Also: Flora IS recruitable... as long as you aren't playing the Hoshido route.

And once again I would just like to question why you didn't bring all your employees with you in the first place. I don't care if that'd give you an excessive number of healers right at the start, there is no in-character reason for them to stay behind! Especially since nobody intends to have you go back to that prison castle thing (Garon because he plans on you dying during your first mission to the point of acting to enforce it by giving you a cursed sword and assigning Hans as your caretaker with explicit orders to kill you after starting a fight, and the Avatar and the Nohrian royals due to planning to fight side-by-side).

...aaaand the boss spontaneously teleports to the other side of the map. Also: He cheats. He has Staff access despite being in a class that can't use them.

Shiny777 posted:

This episode has left me wondering whether it's possible, in theory, that someone could airbrush a scene rad enough to make Chome's dragon form actually look good instead of ridiculous.

No. I have already stated that I consider Chome to be a disgrace to the very concept of "dragon-ness," and he will never be capable of redeeming himself unless he figures out some sort of breath weapon instead of that pathetic slapping and headbutting. Well, even then he'd still look like an idiot (whether he looks or acts more idiotic is questionable), but at least he'd be able to justify calling that form a dragon.

Put simply: Chome is not a dragon at all, he is a frickin' DEER.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Shiny777 posted:

CptWedgie posted:

Put simply: Chome is not a dragon at all, he is a frickin' DEER.

Chome is supposed to be a Qilin/Kirin, you culturally insensitive turdbutts.

In fact, here's an argument for how, in the original Japanese, if Hoshido/Nohr are supposed to be Europe/Japan, then China was supposed to be the inspiration behind Valla. (This link (inside spoilers) is very spoilerific as well on its own, but it's otherwise a great, very informative read.)

vvv: also true, I'll give you that.

facepalmolive fucked around with this message at 02:31 on May 31, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
It doesn’t matter what he is, just the state of being Chome means he’s always going to look dorky.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Chome's dragon form is the best thing about him. I love his weird hoof-hands.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

facepalmolive posted:

Chome is supposed to be a Qilin/Kirin, you culturally insensitive turdbutts.

Yeah, but he doesn't have any lightning powers and he has creepy hands instead of hooves. Like, he's still awful even viewed as their attempt at making a rendition of a kirin.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Chrome’s “dragon” form would be vastly improved if it had a face.

coleman francis
Aug 8, 2007

Tap tap
The ketchup bottle
None will come
Then axolotl
Hair Elf
In Hoshido did Ryoma-sama
A stately pleasure chome decree

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

Chome is probably meant to look halfway between a dragon and a qilin, hence curling their talons up into pseudo-hooves. So symbolic! The effect is spoiled somewhat by an added layer of Kazuma Kaneko which obscures all that.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ep 31 - Pleasure Palace (part 2)

bottlenecks, petty theft, FIRE ORB, sexy astrological readings, mozu murder

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

The face of a killer.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

C'mon man, pair units up. Combine their power!

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
FYI: Chome can promote with a Master Seal as normal, plot promotions aren't a thing in Awakening or Fates.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ep 32 - Pleasure Palace (part 3)

terrible foreshadowing, arena blowouts, upgraded pads, pastry pals

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ep 33 - Lost in the Ice

home renovation, first person kill cam, Salty Creamed Beef, army dress up, top 10 anime betrayals we forgot were badly foreshadowed last episode because this plot is completely unmemorable

Kuvo fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jun 10, 2019

BlazeEmblem
Jun 8, 2013

Uh oh. Do I use Ariadne thread or Goho-M?

Kuvo posted:

Ep 33 - Lost in the Ice

Nice.

I'm guessing you hacked in all of those items/DVP?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Kuvo posted:

Ep 33 - Lost in the Ice

home renovation, first person kill cam, Salty Creamed Beef, army dress up, top 10 anime betrayals we forgot were badly foreshadowed last episode because this plot is completely unmemorable

This links to part 32.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I can now infer that none of you have played Valkyrie Profile