Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squidtentacle
Jul 25, 2016

Also I enjoyed the fortune cookie line specifically because of what came before and after it. Mark made the dumb quip of "did you make that up", and Serizawa likes him enough to not say "of course you moron" but makes that joke instead. And he follows it up with the admission of how silly both of their comments were, "a really long fortune cookie."

It's dumb but it's well-composed writing when taken with the scene as a whole and the relationship of the characters, I feel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I just saw it with a good friend at the bigass IMAX and holy poo poo yeah I loved it. It's pretty much everything I wanted in this Godzilla series come to fruition.

The fact that they threw in so many of the known Godzilla happenings, the twins who care for Mothra, Burning Godzilla going critical, loving Rodan's sonic wind destroying cities, Mothra's sacrifice :cry:, King Gidorah's three personalities, and also that he did in fact come from outer space and was also called Monster Zero, a Super X vehicle, and the list goes on. I'm honestly glad that the mom got killed in the end because she deliberately pushed the button to kill millions and yeah that's not loving forgivable. A great combo of nods to the Showa and Heisei movies, and I'm 100% going to go see it again as soon as I can.

Edit: the classic themes being peppered throughout really were great.

Edit 2: My top three Godzilla movies are Godzilla, Shin Godzilla, and G vs Hedorah, so take my opinion as you will :v:

Edit 3: I wasn't crying for Mothra. YOU were crying for Mothra!!

GATOS Y VATOS fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jun 4, 2019

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Roland Jones posted:

I liked Chen's annoyed "Shut up"... Whatever his name is.

his name is "Rick", because somebody who should no longer be allowed to write movies decided to base his character off of Rick & Morty

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

keet posted:

I'd prefer a super deep cut and replace him with Green Man or any of the other obscure toho toku properties.

Motherfuckin' Matango, my dude.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
The only real problem with this movie:

I just figured he was treading water with his powerful feet and tail.

Or he is extremely buoyant by being really fat.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
He's standing on a seamount!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

HannibalBarca posted:

his name is "Rick", because somebody who should no longer be allowed to write movies decided to base his character off of Rick & Morty

There's a Rick and Morty sticker on the laptop at the beginning. You can't escape it.

I didn't mind the nerd scientists and military guys making doofy jokes about Godzilla and the kaiju. Seemed realistic. (Also just realised they probably didn't use 'Kaiju' because it'd sound too much like Pacific Rim)

Nroo
Dec 31, 2007

Shadowhand00 posted:

He's using the same powers he used at the Golden Gate Bridge.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Godzilla was fun. I didn't like Mothra in the trailers but she looked alright in the movie itself. I was disappointed they didn't show more monsters randomly attacking, though. Kinda wanted to see the Lost Cause engraving at Stone Mountain be destroyed by a giant anaconda or whatever.

edit: or a giant pillbug yeah!

Peanut President fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jun 4, 2019

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Squidtentacle posted:

1. It was in the control room, where they'd been monitoring everything until then and temporarily weren't around, presumably while doing other Science Stuff. Like they showed that room in multiple points in the movie before, the ORCA never moved until Madison stole it.

2. Mom's kidnapping was staged and people that you worked with earlier getting loving shot right in front of you is still pretty jarring. Also she has a child she kept with her to make sure she'd be safe when the rest of the world was getting wrecked. The kid is going to take people getting loving shot around her pretty rough, and even if she's an rear end in a top hat the mom clearly cared about her and felt empathy for her fear. The double cross wasn't staged; she never planned to have her ex show up in Antarctica or encounter the rest of Monarch in that dramatic moment.

Thanks for that.

I'll be the first to admit I tuned out on a few of things and glazed over. I hate bad acting, bad writing and wooden exposition driven dialogue.

That said, still seems like they'd have taken more care to guard the mcguffin seeing as how their entire plan hinged on it.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jun 4, 2019

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Peanut President posted:

Godzilla was fun. I didn't like Mothra in the trailers but she looked alright in the movie itself. I was disappointed they didn't show more monsters randomly attacking, though. Kinda wanted to see the Lost Cause engraving at Stone Mountain be destroyed by a giant anaconda or whatever.

One of the complaints I have with the movie is that the amount of time it takes place over feels weird. Some parts feel like they did or should have happened over a period of days at least, while others make it seem like everything happened over a few hours, and the overall passage of time isn't quite clear. I think the movie would have benefited from being a bit longer and having things take place over more time, both for real and in the movie itself. Give us a few days or weeks of Titan-ruled Earth before Mothra emerges from her cocoon and leads everyone to Godzilla, for example. (Or, if there was that much time between those events, make it clearer.) More time for destruction and the characters to start sinking into despair and/or think about how much the hosed up before things start to get better, etc.

Someone mentioned that they heard about a director's cut with an hour or so more footage or something, and I can buy that. Some things in the movie felt like there should have been more there, or something was removed and patched over, and we do know of a few things that were either filmed but cut or planned but didn't get filmed. Shame that, if this is true, we probably won't see it anyway.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BiggerBoat posted:

That said, still seems like they'd have taken more care to guard the mcguffin seeing as how their entire plan hinged on it.

It didn't, though? They needed it to wake KG up, but past that it was dead weight.

In fact, their plan succeeds completely, despite the kid stealing the mcguffin. The eco-terrorists win.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

BiggerBoat posted:

Thanks for that.

I'll be the first to admit I tuned out on a few of things and glazed over. I hate bad acting, bad writing and wooden exposition driven dialogue.

This was already covered by Schwarz but

Well yeah. They didn't need it. They used it to wake up Rodan because they planned to wake up all the kaiju one at a time.

But then Ghidorah did something they didn't think he could do- he woke up *ALL* of the slumbering kaiju, all at once.

Giving the terrorists exactly what they wanted and rendering the Orca, to them, completely pointless. Charles Dance was more than happy to have the whole human race get wiped out and he walks out of the movie the victor in every way.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
OK. Just seemed like an odd thing to leave laying around where any old 15 year old kid could make off with it.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

one might call it a cinema sin

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Shadowhand00 posted:

Pacific Rim also had this poo poo happen where monsters where equally in deep enough water to be fully submerged and swimming and also immediately finding shallow water to stand above the ocean.

It’s basically the Jurassic Park “how did the T-Rex escape the pen then 5 minutes later the explorer is thrown off a cliff in the same spot”

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

HannibalBarca posted:

This is hardly the worst thing in the world, like they could have had Jim Parsons play a guy named Dr. Cooper

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

BiggerBoat posted:

OK. Just seemed like an odd thing to leave laying around where any old 15 year old kid could make off with it.

I don't think most 15 year olds are in the secret bunker marked as a radiation hazard and full of guys with guns. Probably not high on their list of worries that day, really.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Pacific Rim also had this poo poo happen where monsters where equally in deep enough water to be fully submerged and swimming and also immediately finding shallow water to stand above the ocean.

That's because that's a classic monster movie thing

Kaiju are just naturally really good at treading water

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Burkion posted:

That's because that's a classic monster movie thing

Kaiju are just naturally really good at treading water

As war of the gargantuas best demonstrates, the ocean is basically a public pool, the shallow end is like 5 feet from the part where you dunk your brother til he agrees that you are duke of new york

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

DeimosRising posted:

As war of the gargantuas best demonstrates, the ocean is basically a public pool, the shallow end is like 5 feet from the part where you dunk your brother til he agrees that you are duke of new york

and then a convenient volcanic eruption in tokyo bay/the public pool kills you both

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a Rick and Morty sticker on the laptop at the beginning. You can't escape it.

Suddenly including the awful fortune cookie line makes a lot more sense

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/Mugsysam/status/1135728210157735936

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
'androgynous teenage girl blows up Boston' makes my heart ache that Worm is never going to be adapted to film

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Shadowhand00 posted:

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The King does not skip leg day.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

One thing that I found really cool, and I'm not sure has been posted yet (though apologies if it has) was a very specific musical callback to a bit from the Godzilla vs. Destroyah score.

When Godzilla comes back from near death you get a really sick version of the Godzilla theme, but then as he leans down to eye-up Kyle Chandler and friends the score transitions to what sounds like a piece of music from Godzilla's death and Junior's rebirth in Godzilla vs. Destroyah. This is the music from Godzilla vs. Destroyah (skip to 03:28 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yjOZmlbshU) and then here is the moment from the score from King of the Monsters (skip to 01:17) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6FvFfVmngs , seem like the same poo poo to me! Thought that was really cool.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Roland Jones posted:

You're trying to say, "No, my opinion is the correct one," without making it obvious, and it's not working.

No I wasn't. Reading is hard though, I get it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Y'know, I think why I thought Skull Island worked so well is that it's always been portrayed as a clearing house of palaeontology's fever dreams, and adapting it into the cradle of the insane ecosystem that produces kaiju is a great natural conclusion.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

:3:

Violator
May 15, 2003

Just like a jet engine Godzilla has exhaust. The laser comes out the front and exhaust comes out the back, so his toots are keeping him up. Imagine the smoke billows from a space shuttle launch shooting down into the ocean.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Godzilla and Mothra's relationship was one of the best parts of the movie, hands down.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Lmao this. Left head :

I Think at one point the middle head bites lefty by the horns and drags him over to get him to pay attention. Lefty is also the one that got decapitated by a pre buffed Godzilla, and had to regenerate which probably made him even dumber.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Panfilo posted:

Lmao this. Left head :

I Think at one point the middle head bites lefty by the horns and drags him over to get him to pay attention. Lefty is also the one that got decapitated by a pre buffed Godzilla, and had to regenerate which probably made him even dumber.

Oh goodness, and the severed left head was the post-credit stinger... Whatever comes from it is going to be incredibly and entertainingly dumb!

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
There is a lot about this movie I didn't love but having the heads have different personalities and having that conveyed in like 5 seconds of actual screen time dealing with it was really really good.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Dammerung posted:

Oh goodness, and the severed left head was the post-credit stinger... Whatever comes from it is going to be incredibly and entertainingly dumb!

Hahaha I totally forgot it was Left Head.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

I would absolutely watch a movie about a reborn Leftie, the dumbass dragon.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Tekne posted:

I would absolutely watch a movie about a reborn Leftie, the dumbass dragon.

The Three Stooges, but they're a giant three-headed space dragon

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dammerung posted:

Godzilla and Mothra's relationship was one of the best parts of the movie, hands down.

There hardly is one though? Godzilla doesn't even care when Mothra dies and doesn't brutally murder Rodan at the end for having fought and beaten her up, instead he just accepts him as a bitch in his harem. Godzilla: Pimp of the Monsters

Can someone explain to me what the different eras of Godzilla are and what they signify?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Showa Era Godzilla: Godzilla Raids Again - Terror of Mechagodzilla
Heisei Era Godzilla: Return of Godzilla - Destroyah
Millennium Era Godzilla: Godzilla 2000 - Final Wars