Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

BiggerBoat posted:

IMO, no, but you can check out the thread and see what others have to say

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3772178&perpage=40&pagenumber=180#pti13

It had its moments and IMAX was cool for giant monsters but I HATE bad acting and corny dialog and this flick was filled with it. And not in a funny haha Godzilla silly way but in a Hollywood quip fest sort of way. I keep finding myself comparing it to Independence Day so maybe use that as a baseline.

Disclaimer: I never saw Godzilla 2014 and I loved the hell out of Skull Island.

Yeah, monster fights were the greatest part, human parts were eeeh, although the girl from Stranger Girls was good in it. I watched in on 3D, so please avoid 3D it didn't bring anything spectacular to the movie, avoid it. And yes, I am an idiot for still falling for that gimmick.
(Skull Island is amazing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Desperado Bones posted:

although the girl from Stranger Girls was good in it

I keep seeing people say this and I feel like I’m the only one who couldn’t stand her. She’s just background noise for most of the movie until she’s running from the monsters, at which point she defaults to that awful hyperventilating screaming that she does on Stranger Things.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I keep seeing people say this and I feel like I’m the only one who couldn’t stand her. She’s just background noise for most of the movie until she’s running from the monsters, at which point she defaults to that awful hyperventilating screaming that she does on Stranger Things.

Same. To me all she was a walking facial expression. The SAME facial expression at that.

I didn't like any of the actors' performances in this movie.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Laura: Charles said that you are dying.
Logan: Oh yeah? What else did he tell ya?
Laura: To not let you.

God, Logan was so good. So many parts of that movie just work. Great tragedy that we wasted all that Jackman time in bad movies instead of great ones.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Logan on second watch, it's just so depressing. Logan is like Conan that people around him die constantly, but drat, that movie is just a series of bummers.

Best parts are when Laura first let's lose and Chuck and her watch Shane.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Just watched Godzilla KotM and I enjoyed it. Maybe because during the human parts I just thought about the monsters. The monsters were very good and my only personal disappointment is that I thought Rodan was going to help at the end instead of being an antagonist.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Man. Imagine if the end was every single titan on Earth against Ghidorah. That would've been pretty good.

DoorMatt
Dec 14, 2007
Watch The Nose

Teenage Fansub posted:

Man. Imagine if the end was every single titan on Earth against Ghidorah. That would've been pretty good.

It's Godzilla KING of the monsters, not member of the board of monsters, but I agree a monster pile would have been cool.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Pat-Bat confirmed.
https://twitter.com/mattreevesLA/status/1135422242425196544

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Battinson, surely.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bat-Bert Pattin-Man

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

BrianWilly posted:

Battinson, surely.

AHEM

Rhyno posted:

<rushes into thread>

ROBERT BATTINSON

<dashes out ducking thrown objects>

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

:allears:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

And they told me Twilight vampires didn't turn into Bats.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Lurdiak posted:

Cranston dying was bad because he is a good actor and Johnson is a bad actor who was playing a VERY boring character. Ken Watanabe, also a great actor, was also in that film for about 30 seconds, but instead the story follows this Sam Worthington-level boring shithead as he practices his military maneuvers and has no character arc.

I loved the first part of the 2014 Godzilla movie because it looked like they were doing something really clever with Godzilla.
Like Godzilla came out in the 50's as an allegory for the fear of nuclear war.
So in 2014 what is the fear that comes off nuclear power?
A meltdown arising out of a crisis at a nuclear plant. This was after the Tsunami in Toyko and the Fukushima nuclear plant incident.
There was a very cool horror vibe for the first act of the film. It's a shame it lost it.

Though I did like them making part of the ending into a samurai showdown.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

twistedmentat posted:

Logan on second watch, it's just so depressing. Logan is like Conan that people around him die constantly, but drat, that movie is just a series of bummers.

Best parts are when Laura first let's lose and Chuck and her watch Shane.

I checked out the black and white version of Logan when the Blu ray came out. I won't act like it somehow elevated the movie into God tier, but it's a really cool way to watch it.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I personally think think that the B&W version was the lesser version. It made the CGI look cheap. Luckily there's not much used so its not a game breaker.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Sumo posted:

Make it like Die Hard with a Vengeance- Batman and Montoya have 8 hours to make their way through various villain and gang controlled parts of Gotham to solve riddles before something is blown up

Live action "Almost Got 'Im"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Django/Zorro is reportedly happening (the crossover was a comic first)
http://collider.com/quentin-tarantino-jerrod-carmichael-django-zorro-movie/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app#images

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Boy, I can't wait for the Dark Phoenix embargo to be over. I sure have things to say.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gavok posted:

Boy, I can't wait for the Dark Phoenix embargo to be over. I sure have things to say.

"It was the greatest X-Men movie to date, and frankly the greatest superhero movie to date."

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Gavok posted:

I can't hear things like, "I do bad, but it feels good" without thinking of Army of Darkness. I also can't buy Sansa as Jean Grey. Also, I know they'll write something speed-related in, but why would you take running guy to space?

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Gavok posted:

that transcendently good. eh?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gavok posted:

:nws:
https://youtu.be/NwcVJMvVWDA?t=47

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Gavok posted:

Embargo lifted day after release? Always a great sign.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I would like to see a very vulnerable Batman. I think some of the best elements of the Nolan Batman are when they played up his humanity, but I think Batman is often portrayed as this unstoppable badass who's so much smarter than everyone else, and it so preposterously good at fighting and gymnastics that he can dodge bullets or whatever. I think super awesome turbo badass Batman is what appears in the Arkham games, and to a slightly lesser extent the DCEU, which are two of the more recent media interpretations and it may be a symptom of Batman having to operate in a world where he's just a normal dude and all his mates have got super-powers (though Justice League, for all it did wrong, did have a couple of interesting moments where we see him struggling to keep up with the rest of the team.)

Put it this way; if Reeves is doing a noir story as he has said he is doing, then you can have all those cool scenes where the detective is talking to a guy but the detective is a bit on edge cause he doesn't know if the guy's gonna pull a gun, or is leading him into a trap. Those kind of moments are gonna be a way more effective with a Batman who knows and is aware that one good shot will be the end of him, and not a Batman who's pretty nonchalant about the whole situation because he's such a ultra-sweet mix-master martial arts master that he'll be instantly able to disarm the guy because he'll be able to sense his fore-arm muscle contracting and knew he was going for a gun or something like that.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Vando posted:

Embargo lifted day after release? Always a great sign.

Maybe they'll just never lift the embargo. Yeah, that's the ticket.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

https://twitter.com/SamParkerMetal/status/1135754851021938688

:stwoon:

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I really think someone should write a book about the history of the X-Men film franchise. There's something fascinating about how they've made 13 movies and everything is weird and all over the place with quality and behind-the-scenes goings on, especially compared to how clockwork the whole MCU comes across. After creating building blocks for the superhero boom out the gate with a solid initial movie and its bigger sequel, we got:

- A rushed mess that was partially made out of spite.

- A disastrous attempt at a spinoff "Origins" series that died immediately. Including a leaked cut of the movie ending up on the internet where they tried to save face by saying that the effects would look better in the final cut even though that wasn't the reason people were railing on it.

- A prequel series that badly fits as a prequel, partly because apparently nobody ages over the course of 30 years. Known for lucking out on signing three actors who would become bigger deals after the fact, including an A-lister. Added extra emphasis on her character in the new series. Way more than when they had an A-list actress in their initial series who did pretty much nothing for three movies.

- Doing nearly everything in their power to prevent their biggest hit from happening. A hit so big that it's the only thing that's going to survive the Disney buy-out.

- Chickening out on an R-rated Wolverine until Deadpool makes them realize, oh wait, we can do an R-rated Wolverine after all.

- A post-credits sequence involving Mr. Sinister that will never pay off.

- Their last core entry being a retread of a movie everyone calls "the bad one." Then again, Deadpool was scorched earth at one point too, so let's go back to that well!

- Every single thing involved with New Mutants.

- The Gambit movie they kept insisting was on its way.

- Inspiring the biggest black eye on the MCU's resume.

- The PR disaster of Marvel vs. Capcom: Infinite.

Quick, somebody pay me to write this book!

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Gavok posted:

- Inspiring the biggest black eye on the MCU's resume.

Which one was this again?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

amigolupus posted:

Sorry, when I said "black eye" I meant to say "blackagar eye-agon."

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

amigolupus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGTfbMioezc

[edit] lol, still makes me laugh.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

Gavok posted:

Is there anything more to this than the Inhumans only got made because they didn't have the rights to the X-Men?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

:spittake:

Edit: what do you mean we don't have a spit take emote?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I've never been super clear on the time frame of the X-Men flicks since First Class. That one's in the 60's, sure, but I guess Dark Phoenix is the... 90's?

(Note: This doesn't particularly matter. It's just one of the many things weird about the franchise.)

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Each one moves up a decade. The actors don't, of course, since the X-gene's tertiary mutation is the sliding timeline.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

First Class is 1962, DoFP's P is 1973, Apocalypse is 1983. Dark Phoenix is the 90s.

Mystique has an excuse because she can shapeshift I guess but Fassbender and McAvoy are playing 65 year olds. All the younger actors are playing at least like 7 years older. It's a mess.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Taerkar posted:

Each one moves up a decade. The actors don't, of course, since the X-gene's tertiary mutation is the sliding timeline.

If Mutants are immune to AIDS then aging is no big obstacle.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

CityMidnightJunky posted:

Is there anything more to this than the Inhumans only got made because they didn't have the rights to the X-Men?

No, that's pretty much it. Though "Inhumans are the new mutants" hit more on Agents of SHIELD.

Aphrodite posted:

First Class is 1962, DoFP's P is 1973, Apocalypse is 1983. Dark Phoenix is the 90s.

Mystique has an excuse because she can shapeshift I guess but Fassbender and McAvoy are playing 65 year olds. All the younger actors are playing at least like 7 years older. It's a mess.

Don't forget Beast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
This is the first I'm hearing about the first wolverine movie being unliked