Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Personally, I'm hyped for Devolver Digital's Tales of Games Presents The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 – Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie – Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa 2.9 coming out on 11/11/2028

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

LibrarianCroaker posted:

Yo I don't know about that guy, but I need to know more about this.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

ah. good.

Vax
Dec 29, 2011

delicious!
When you read that update you are okay maybe somehow hopium inserted

Then you read GZ prediction https://twitter.com/GZStorm/status/1135304375562252288

and all hope dies instantly

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Well I just pivoted to Lol Dead Game Heh Heh to genuinely gutted after reading all that stuff about gameplay mechanics

Jodorarkley's Gune

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

something awful dot com thread title posted:

Barkley 2: Hoopz is Chaos Dunking in Heaven: Chapter 1 of the Dark Drakerz Saga

yes. yes! good! good!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Sleeveless posted:

le epic not giving failures and con artists carte blanche to run off with money because they posted a few jepgs of concept art and transcribed their epic idea guys ideas from half a decade ago gimmick, brought to you by the brain geniuses who worked themselves into prodromal mental illness over getting bored of bethesda games after 200 hours
it's not really a con to try and fail to make a game. the money was not stored away in a swiss vault somewhere, it was spent poorly because of bad management and no real focus leading to a wasteful dev process. that's not what a con is.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Someone will make it as a doom mod eventually.

Thank you all for all the barkesl 2 content and I'm still sad I didn't back the Kickstarter. I shall treasure my copy of pc gamer (uk) with a six page feature on varke2, which is somewhere in my flat.

Natrox
Dec 2, 2013

cboy posted:

Hey guys, this is Chef Boyardee, one of the writers and musicians for the game, and I was one of the original Barkley 1 guys.

Hey Chef, thanks for this write-up. Just wanted to let you know that you and the rest of the Barkley 1 crew (and to an extent, GamingW in general) inspired me to pursue game development as a career. I now work on Tomb Raider, thanks to a game about Chaos Dunks.

Thanks!

Natrox fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jun 4, 2019

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Though I'd like it I don't need a borjley 2 to come out

I would like you funny guys to make something funny together in the future though xx

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

cboy posted:

Hey guys, this is Chef Boyardee,
Chef you're loving amazing. Love goes both ways. You've got no reason to feel ashamed about anything, there's nothing more needs explaining. Take care of yourself, be proud and just keep making cool stuff that makes you happy!

Everyone go get Katana Zero right now!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Enemies!

Even if most sucked, we did some cool poo poo! In usual ToG style there were grand ideas, but enemy ideas were a lot more realistic, nothing was too far out there.

We did Junkbots and they rocked. They roam around and pick up and equip junk pieces - arms, heads, and legs. Washing machine legs vibrated them forward slowly making a rumbling sound, tire pile legs had them bouncing in a slightly uncontrolled way, and there were more. There was a propeller head which let them fly/jump around a bit. They had poison gas arms, rocket launchers, chainsaws, and more that I forget. With the right combination of garbage they were legit threats. I think they were Barkley 2 enemies at their best. With garbagious garbage they were garbage.

Cybergremlins were our first real enemies, I think. Their looks and behaviour were randomized. Small, fast, weak, and hit you with wrenches. Ended up being the 'cookie cutter' enemies that most others were modeled off, for better or worse.

They were also symptomatic of Barkley 2 combat issues. Just run backwards and shoot. In theory they were dangerous if you got cornered, but in practice with open ended maps that could never happen unless you messed up. When we tried to make them more dangerous, they became murder machines if they could get close in group, hit stunning you until death. We could never find a good balance, they kept alternating between lame ducks and MvC2 Magneto.

At some point a walking spider tech demo turned out awesome and became the Crab-o-tron. They were loving Baller, would walk and jump around, with flamethrowers and also would litter the area with static fields to avoid. Legs were shields so had to hit from right angle. To this day they were the most fun Barkley 2 combat I have played.

I made a Crab-o-tron boss prototype, ten times bigger size and you would run between the legs and it would spawn minions. I'm not sure if anyone else tested it.

They taught us the lesson that enemies were best designed by just trying something out in game and seeing what works. Unfortunely we didn't really learn this lesson as a team and start working this way.

The opposite way - have an idea, write it down, create sprites, and then try to make it work in the game - led to garbage like Weresnails. By now you should be able to spot their problem instantly by just watching that clip, where I am intentionally playing bad, and repeating "Open Ended World" ten times.

By the time we made Catfish we had got better, but they and the way they were made still had all the above issues. We tried to make them work by casting nets to trap you in place. It helped a bit but all the core issues were still there. They saw a lot of polish, or in other words, time spent on something that wasn't great instead of talking about and fixing the game's issues. This was 2016/2017 and by now I was giving up hope we would ever really honestly discuss and fix combat.

Aliens were my attempt to make a faster enemy. They were strong, and faster than you when running straight, so for a first in B2 you couldn't just run away. I think they showed the way to good B2 combat. Unfortunately I could never give them enough polish to prove it to myself or others. It turns out it's really hard to focus and polish something when you're working free on late evenings an hour or two at a time.

Swamp Monsters and Kobolds also happened. That clip shows me dodging like a moron trying to make the clip looks interesting. In reality you would stand at a distance and calmly gun them down.

The swamp area had a nice mechanic to try to force combat into high gear: Mosquitoes. You got more mosquitoes surrounding you over time, fast, and would start losing health. Only getting close to a certain type of plant would make them go away. Some of those plants were Mimic monsters. It could have been really cool but was also hard to get to work well and fun in practice, because 1) 'poisonous floor' areas are rarely anyone's favourite areas and 2) swamp never really came together with fun combat because see above swamp enemies.

What could we have done differently to avoid this massive garbage void of time and work? loving Playtesting. We should have playtested everything from day 1. We should have had as a standard workflow to implement one thing, playtested it, and got feedback before even dreaming of doing something else. We should have playtested once a month. All our problems would have become instantly obvious. After two years when it became apparent that this was an issue, I brought this up thousands of times, to deaf ears, there was always some loving reason why we couldn't playtest at that specific moment. Gun's breeding wasn't complete so the player couldn't see the whole experience. We needed affixes first. We needed more polish first. Everything needed to be connected first. Who cares? We need a good core gameplay before anything else matters. This is the one big learning I take away from this project into all future projects, and you should too. This was also a chicken and egg problem, we never playtested, meaning the game was never really playable by an outsider, meaning we could never playtest, meaning it was never... on and on. It was a huge effort to get demos ready for conventions, and while the game was really liked it also needed someone there to explain it (from what I hear - I never went to the conventions, sadly) When we came back from cons we had lots of feedback, but never really did anything with it combat wise.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Jun 4, 2019

MagurEnch
Nov 28, 2015

I really appreciate you writing all these up Bisse!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly I'm just happy people are breaking their silences. I don't really need the game to be finished. I'm just glad the bandaid has been ripped off and people can like... go back to doing things without being asked about Barkley. You guys did enough, it was a failed Kickstarter and that's that.

:same:

Unbelievably Fat Man
Jun 1, 2000

Innocent people. I could never hurt innocent people.

Imho the story of this is fascinating and rules. Somebody release the gamemaker files so there can be multiple illconceived attempts to turn the rubble into a full game

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Vax posted:

When you read that update you are okay maybe somehow hopium inserted

Then you read GZ prediction https://twitter.com/GZStorm/status/1135304375562252288

and all hope dies instantly

The funny thing is that's how Fez got made.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Unbelievably Fat Man posted:

Imho the story of this is fascinating and rules. Somebody release the gamemaker files so there can be multiple illconceived attempts to turn the rubble into a full game
This sounds like the most likely way to get the game out, to be honest. Just slap a 'to be continued' screen wherever the usable content ends, let people play what's there, and see if it's worth moving onwards.

It would be interesting to see how a crowdsourced game does, if there will be some passionate driver to tie the thing together. Plus dumping a pile of godlike assets drowned in steaming crashing garbage on the fans to figure it the hell out themselves is the most The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 - Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie - Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa thing ever.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 4, 2019

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't like early access so I never thought I'd say this but aiming for early access probably would've helped identify a lot of issues sooner

Vipershark
Nov 13, 2010
is this an ARG to gain hype before the game is released

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004

Natrox posted:

Hey Chef, thanks for this write-up. Just wanted to let you know that you and the rest of the Barkley 1 crew (and to an extent, GamingW in general) inspired me to pursue game development as a career. I now work on Tomb Raider, thanks to a game about Chaos Dunks.

Thanks!

Take it, Lara. Take the Incan gold. You want it, Lara. You want it more than anything else.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

rodbeard posted:

The funny thing is that's how Fez got made.

Lmao actually true

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
This thread has been wild and I could not stop laughing at Dark Drakerz.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I just got here from kotaku

what's this about a dark drakerz

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I was working on a VR film just this past year and Jesus did playtesting help a lot just to know where fresh eyes were actually looking. It was so useful in the end.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Is it pronounced drakers or draker-z

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
the moral of the story is to not hype up a goon project and just freaking do it, i mean baba and hypnospace came out recently no mess no drama

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Seconding the ideas to either convince the remaining dude on the Barkley 2 team to give it up and then release the assets, or hold another campaign a few monhs down the road and try and get the ol' gang back together. Up or down, my friends, which one are you?

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Alan Smithee posted:

Gortarius posted:

Just to throw in my two cents into this barkley toilet...

I can't with 100% certainty confirm every bit of what GZ (Hiratio) has said because I wasn't in the ToG inner circles until there was like 4 people left in 2016 or whatever, but I have ZERO reason to doubt anything that he has said here from my experiences working on this wretched game, and from just talking to him about all the weird things going on and shady back-alley attitude. I peaced out from the project the same time as him for many of the same reasons he did.

This is such a complicated mess, and from a span of 6 years, that I might be misremembering stuff here and there, but I'm trying to write all of this to the best of my recollection:

For me, it all started back in fall of 2012 when they were looking for some help for B2 and since I sort of knew some of them and I liked Barkley1 I said sure, count me in. I did various systems they asked me to do, like the Character Creation system and the various minigames like the Booty Bass, a Diving minigame and a DwarfNET prototype that me and GZ later worked into a functional framework for some juicy DwarfNET content that never came. There are more than that but I picked these examples because they are probably the ones most people might have actually seen of this game via conventions or streams.

Back in those early days it was the Ideas Guy bonanza out there. Everyone had ideas and quests they wanted to bring into the game, good or bad, and everyone was hyped to the gills about making some barkley. It's in good portion because of those whacky ideas and the refusal to let go of them that sunk this ship and I too at the time contributed to that, although I don't think they gave two shits about my ideas beyond briefly entertaining them. It was their baby and I was just some Joe Shmuck that was helping them out, and I was perfectly fine with that.

I wasn't involved in the writing at all, until I thought that maybe I could help these guys script some off the NPC's. Their writing was good, and I knew mine was not, so I just tried to make the NPC's with their writing on them work as well as I could, testing them out for logic errors and stuff like that. The NPC/Event scripting system at the time was not user-friendly in the slightest but somehow work was getting done, or so I thought. Chef and Bort were still onboard at this point and all seemed good, or as good as one would expect anyway.

The compile times slowly got unacceptable and we thought there wasn't much we could do about it, the game was just so big (not true as evidenced by the superior scripting system GZ devised much later and discovering the "Dark Drakers", which I will explain later). This is about the time when it all began to sour, and I want to say this was like 2015 to 2016. Chef disappeared in a poof of smoke and Bort became a family man. I sensed that there was some beefs going on in ToG, but it seemed like something that could have been resolved, so I didn't pay it too much attention to it like a total fool.

Because of these departures I found myself in a much more central role and was suddenly in the mysterious inner circle. At this time I had also learned the tips and tricks of the mapmaking racket and had unofficially become the map maker. People would give me blueprints of game areas, and I would map them out to the best of my ability, and later on I would become obsessed with making the maps seamlessly weaving into each other. This was extremely dumb because it was basically just an artificial limitation, even if I liked the end result. I did also change a bunch of maps on my own accord because I thought they sucked, which lead into some beef, but those beefs were usually resolved within hours/days.

This is also about the time when I discovered the Dark Drakers, which soured the whole thing further. Dark Draker is a filler character in B2 who talks about being faster than the snapping maw of a drake. I discovered that an entire areas worth of NPC's were just carbon copies of Dark Draker with a different name given to each, AKA the illusion of work being done. Just these 10% finished NPC's basically littering the project to make it seem like it was all good. I suppose the plan was to eventually make them into distinct NPC's but the problem was that the whole game was plagued by the Dark Drakers, and they GREATLY attributed to the poo poo compile times. I also discovered/was told about some of the more hidden mechanics of the game which can only be described as the concoction of a lunatic. For example, two separate ingame time system both dictating quests and NPC behavior (with NPC's also being dictated by quest variables, items the player has etc.), leading to impossible to fix content. Thank the lord one of these system was later discarded.

There was many schemes on how to move forward on many occasions. Every now and then there would be a burst of gumption, and work was being done, and it all seemed good again, briefly. But you can only run away from the problems for so long. The combat in the game was always too complicated, too ambitious, and criminally ignored. It was a total disgrace, and I did bring this up a few times, but ToG didn't seem to give a hoot, or there was always some excuse why it shouldn't be worked on right now. There was too many "affixes" for the guns, there were too many types of gun, there were too many gun materials, too much everything basically.

Most of the gun stuff eventually sort of worked, and Frankie really outdid himself by making those 1000000 different gun sprites. Frankie was the only person who produced a consistent and high quality stream of work, and did way more than he needed to. It's a total disgrace that all the art he did is essentially in the toilet now.

With combat the crux of the issue wasn't not having enough sprites or the guns not working 100% like intended, but the enemies. They were a total loving disgrace. But again, it wasn't seen as important enough to do something about it in an RPG game. To my knowledge, to this day there are no functional bosses.

2017 seems like the year with most of the streaks of when a good amount of work was being done. Things were getting made but of course the project was already long overdue. The new scripting system was in full swing which was approximately 20000 times better/faster/easier to use than the old one. I can't stress enough how much more efficient it made content creation. Compile times had dropped down to around 45 seconds. Too bad the writers were no longer there. Instead we tried to emulate the barkley1 sort of writing ourselves, but of course it was rather mediocre.

In 2018 GZ vanished for a long time and I just thought maybe he had some personal stuff to figure out, or that he had jumped off a bridge. That was not the case, he was merely crestfallen to his very core in regards to Barkley2. This was also the year when there would be times when I was the only person working on the game for weeks at a time, and at the longest, a month at a time. The whole debacle finally came to it's "climax" near the end of 2018 when it become absolutely crystal clear to even me that this is a bad joke and it's never going to work out if it just keeps going on like it had up to that point. GZ had more insight into things so he had figured out this a lot sooner, but regardless, when he quit, so did I because at that point there was no realistic way of getting this poo poo done. I was so stupid that it took me 6 years to become disillusioned.

This is boring and longwinded as all hell, but this is basically the short version of my story and I hope I haven't misremembered anything. I don't want to see this piece of poo poo game ever again in my life.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Bisse posted:

This sounds like the most likely way to get the game out, to be honest. Just slap a 'to be continued' screen wherever the usable content ends, let people play what's there, and see if it's worth moving onwards.

It would be interesting to see how a crowdsourced game does, if there will be some passionate driver to tie the thing together. Plus dumping a pile of godlike assets drowned in steaming crashing garbage on the fans to figure it the hell out themselves is the most The Magical Realms of Tír na nÓg: Escape from Necron 7 - Revenge of Cuchulainn: The Official Game of the Movie - Chapter 2 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa thing ever.

Instead of a 'To Be Continued' screen, in traditional JRPG fashion just hack together whatever remaining assets and planned plot beats so the game degrades from 'playable but clearly unfinished' to 'completely broken mess full of Dark Drakers' to 'nonsensical collage with no gameplay and remaining plot described entirely in text' as it goes on.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

It’s really funny that kotaku writers lurked this thread. Patrick klepek from vice games also tweeted that he was reading the thread too. They would never actually post tho lol this ain’t no resetera

Phobophilia posted:

the moral of the story is to not hype up a goon project and just freaking do it, i mean baba and hypnospace came out recently no mess no drama

The moral of the story is the same with other failed kickstarters from this similar era. They got more money than what they asked for an expanded the scope of the game but oops actually turned out it was much more difficult than they originally thought. And they didn’t even receive that much compared to other projects, but at least the public now knows more about the realities of game dev now.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot

lih posted:

Instead of a 'To Be Continued' screen, in traditional JRPG fashion just hack together whatever remaining assets and planned plot beats so the game degrades from 'playable but clearly unfinished' to 'completely broken mess full of Dark Drakers' to 'nonsensical collage with no gameplay and remaining plot described entirely in text' as it goes on.

If that is the goal then you don't actually have to do anything because that's already what Barkley 2 is.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
someone should pitch this to noclip, i bet danny would do a video on it

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Gor, Bisse, Hiratio, Frankie and Chef (please mock me for leaving anyone out), thank you for shedding a ton of light onto the last few years.

I have loved to read about the ambitions you had for the game and it is nice to understand what happened and why! The pixel art guns you shared, the gun system and screens are just amazing. I really wish they existed in a form to experience! I love the gun names too! If I was not 'videogames' then 'rogue taxidermy' would be a name change so quickly! :D

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
Sounds like the game is ready for release then!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

lih posted:

Dreaming... I was dreaming... Perhaps it may have been but a long forgotten memory... A dream... A memory... Things remembered when one is asleep... Things forgotten when one is awake... Where the deepest layers of memories become the outmost layers of one's dreams... Which are reality? Which are illusions? One cannot tell until one awakes... Or perhaps they are, at the same time, both truth and fiction... A vast b-ball court... With no boundaries... An emptiness equivalent to my own existence... I dreamt such a dream... A long... Never-ending, dream.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
release on steam store as forever early access aka early access

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Without Barkley I’d never know to spend my evenings listening to streams of prog rock while a French Canadian guy softly curses under his breath for hours

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

uncurable mlady posted:

someone should pitch this to noclip, i bet danny would do a video on it

lol this would own but I doubt he'd do it

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bisse posted:

What could we have done differently to avoid this massive garbage void of time and work? loving Playtesting. We should have playtested everything from day 1. We should have had as a standard workflow to implement one thing, playtested it, and got feedback before even dreaming of doing something else. We should have playtested once a month. All our problems would have become instantly obvious. After two years when it became apparent that this was an issue, I brought this up thousands of times, to deaf ears, there was always some loving reason why we couldn't playtest at that specific moment. Gun's breeding wasn't complete so the player couldn't see the whole experience. We needed affixes first. We needed more polish first. Everything needed to be connected first. Who cares? We need a good core gameplay before anything else matters. This is the one big learning I take away from this project into all future projects, and you should too. This was also a chicken and egg problem, we never playtested, meaning the game was never really playable by an outsider, meaning we could never playtest, meaning it was never... on and on. It was a huge effort to get demos ready for conventions, and while the game was really liked it also needed someone there to explain it (from what I hear - I never went to the conventions, sadly) When we came back from cons we had lots of feedback, but never really did anything with it combat wise.

This is the part where instead of cheerleading from the sidelines, I actually get to contribute to the conversation directly.

Hi, my name's Lurdiak, freelance writer, pixel artist, video editor, and part-time game dev. In addition to being a horrible poster on these forums, I've been real life friends with Frankie since college. Through him I became friends with Chef, and we've worked together on a few game jams and a few dead-end game projects besides that. I was never part of the GW crew, I came into the picture when GamingWorld was pretty much dead already.

I was very briefly considered as backup coder when B2's team was assembled, but I just didn't have enough coding experience at the time for it to be a worthwhile hire. I would've probably slowed the project down, honestly.

But pretty much from the day the kickstarter met its goal, I had been constantly offering my services as playtester. Not because I wanted to get my hands on the game before anyone else, but because I had worked in QA professionally before and wanted to help make this project a reality. Time and time again I asked if QA or general gameplay testing was needed, and was told, nah, we're not at that stage yet. We don't have enough to even test, this or that system isn't complete yet, we don't have enough enemies, we want to test this internally, it'd slow down work on the project to have to get builds ready to playtest, etc...

Hardly having more insight into the project than anyone in this thread, I didn't want to assume a mistake was being made by refusing a free playtester, but it always struck me as strange. So did the deep secrecy around the project, to be honest. Any info I got from Frankie or Chef was always through gritted teeth and with the caveat "I shouldn't even be telling you this much".

But it blows my mind to hear that my offer for a meager contribution to the project might've actually been something that the project desperately needed.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jun 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
The importance of playtesting is often really overlooked and a lot of devs view it as 1) does it run and 2) did my idea get done, and leave it at that