Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

get that OUT of my face posted:

I would have made so much fan art of Jimmy and the Pulsating Mass already if I had an ounce of artistic skill. One of the other Twitch streamers I follow also played it and put some cool art of an upcoming boss on the side of his second stream.

I mean I'm gonna count ants and peanut butter on a piece of bread as fan art.

Ants on a mattress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

I'm going to keep updating this as we progress:

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

SystemLogoff posted:

I'm going to keep updating this as we progress:

This rules, especially the sassy bird.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

GrandmaParty posted:

One of the admins on the JatPM Discord posted this on twitter. And it loving rules.

His name is KAD and his url is https://twitter.com/johnny_knives

Happy Pride month, nerds.

Which leads me to this:

Now I gotta go cover things in peanut butter and raisins.

That fan art is so delightful, oh my goodness.

Also, I will match all donations with my contribution going to the Imperial Sovereign Rose Court of Oregon

quote:

About the ISRC

The Imperial Sovereign Rose Court of Oregon is Oregon’s oldest Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer (LGBTQ) organization. Membership is open to all persons over the age of 21 who live within Washington, Multnomah, Clackamas or Columbia Counties. The ISRC does not discriminate based on race, religion, gender, sexual orientation or any other description used to categorize people.

Our Mission

The ISRC is organized for charitable, educational, literary or scientific purposes. The ISRC is established to create recreational, charitable, and cultural activities to promote greater understanding between members of a diverse community, and to represent that community and concerned individuals in support of community functions. The ISRC shall recognize outstanding individuals and organizations for their service to the community and will support 501(c)3 organizations through contributions. In over 55 years, we have raised hundreds of thousands of dollars for various 501(c)3 charities.

Oh god, that reminds me, I accidentally ran away with a gay bar's rainbow flag (they loaned it to us to cover our gear when we played a gig there last year) and I still have to return it :ohdear: That's, like, the ultimate party foul.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

GrandmaParty posted:

This rules, especially the sassy bird.

Gotta go FAST!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
just got to the horrible bee hive nightmare myself. jfc. i knew there was going to be dark turns going in because of the trailer but that was far more effective than i was expecting.

dang.

(i missed Slither though. i saw the hole but i think i interacted with it wrong)

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Oh god, that reminds me, I accidentally ran away with a gay bar's rainbow flag (they loaned it to us to cover our gear when we played a gig there last year) and I still have to return it :ohdear: That's, like, the ultimate party foul.

So you Stole the gay bar's gay away and now it's just a bar?

Appropriate.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty

inflatablefish posted:

So you Stole the gay bar's gay away and now it's just a bar?

Appropriate.

I know! I'm picturing walking in and all the bartenders are uptight straight people and the bar decor looks like truck stop... And then I give the flag back, color floods into the space, all the bartenders spin around and, in a rainbow flash, are back to their fabulous queer selves.

I mean, I actually feel bad about it, but it's like... waves hands back and forth it's way over there in the city...

Kad
Jun 2, 2019

Hey GP, I'm really enjoying your videos! I just wanted to say thank you for sharing my art. I dooo have to make just one little correction though and that is I'm actually not admin of the jatpm discord! ..But maybe I could be if I had unlimited power. Anyway def looking forward to more and Johnny is always going to be a sweet egg baby.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I know! I'm picturing walking in and all the bartenders are uptight straight people and the bar decor looks like truck stop... And then I give the flag back, color floods into the space, all the bartenders spin around and, in a rainbow flash, are back to their fabulous queer selves.

I mean, I actually feel bad about it, but it's like... waves hands back and forth it's way over there in the city...

Yeah, it's quite a way away, so be sure to take your best friend with you and don't forget your Ants on a Log.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 9 is up!

I gotta drive in the morning. Ech.

Special Guest: Breadmaster! All the way from Australia.

Scabs ate a bug and puked a whole bunch so she was super tired and not talky. Like...a lot. Like more cat puke than you'd expect.

Also I'm still in an existential crisis from Cordelia Mouse about what makes us good.

Commentary On

No Commentary

Kad posted:

Hey GP, I'm really enjoying your videos! I just wanted to say thank you for sharing my art. I dooo have to make just one little correction though and that is I'm actually not admin of the jatpm discord! ..But maybe I could be if I had unlimited power. Anyway def looking forward to more and Johnny is always going to be a sweet egg baby.

Hey Kad! Thanks for joining up! Huge fan of your art.

I love that sweet egg baby and hope he comes back.

JetpackJeezus
Jul 27, 2011

Heaven Can Wait
Having environmental puzzles based around changing seasons is pretty cool, but this isn't the first time it's been done. Someone needs to play Oracle of Seasons.

Kad
Jun 2, 2019

Grandma wants me to post this here so it is going here.

Punch Tanyaka. He rides a meowtorcycle :3:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Grumble Bear best form don't @ me

Kad posted:

extremely good

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Next part is going to be good.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

Mill Village posted:

We're gonna take a detour and go into the puddle. Nothing good is in that puddle.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Mill Village posted:

When I recorded, GP told me that was the part where he was up to so far. I figured he was a little bit further than that, for some reason. No matter. The area after this is where the game really ramps things up.

OOrochi
Jan 19, 2017

On my honor as the Dawnspear.

Kad posted:

Oh, this is amazing

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

GrandmaParty posted:

We're gonna take a detour and go into the puddle. Nothing good is in that puddle.

Oh yeah, that place. I remember the boss being kinda memorable there.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010

GrandmaParty posted:

I mean I'm gonna count ants and peanut butter on a piece of bread as fan art.

Ants on a mattress

Well, I don't have any raisins and I can't stand celery or peanut butter, but I did make this:

Pumpin seeds, onion hummus, granary bread. I call it Woodlice under a Log! yes you have to turn it over to get the "under" effect and that makes a mess on the plate

Uncle Lars-tested, Mom-approved.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

inflatablefish posted:

Well, I don't have any raisins and I can't stand celery or peanut butter, but I did make this:

Pumpin seeds, onion hummus, granary bread. I call it Woodlice under a Log! yes you have to turn it over to get the "under" effect and that makes a mess on the plate

Uncle Lars-tested, Mom-approved.

I will accept this but I'm going to label it as a postmodern deconstructed and reconstructed ants on a log interpretation

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
Jimmy looks adorable as a grumble bear.

Okay, now let's talk about the full party we've got going.

Jimmy
I am eight years old. I like video games, coloring, and Mom, Dad, Buck, and Uncle Lars.
Personality: Empathetic. You can be like others if you know how they feel. Allows use of imagination abilities.
Imagination: Six customizable ability slots, two of which carry over to all of Jimmy's forms.

Everybody except Jimmy gets two slots for Manuals, which allows you to customize their fifth and sixth abilities. I'll talk more about Manuals when we get some interesting ones.

Buck
Buck listens to music that hurts my head. Buck works out and can pick me up with one hand.
Personality: Brash. Sometimes you just can't stop punching. 25% chance of hitting twice when attacking.
Nerd Bash:
Bully (5 MP): Utilize your brawn to hide your low self-esteem. 150% physical damage.
Insult (0 MP): Target an enemy's feelings. Startle the target for one turn.
Inner Rage (5 MP): You can only be pushed so far until you snap. ATK +50%, but you can't control your actions.
Magnificent Combo (15 MP): Perform a magnificent combo! 300% physical damage; two-turn cooldown.

Helga
Helga is my mom's name. She is pretty and has a pretty singing voice.
Personality: Optimistic. Never let anything get you down! Immune to common status effects.
Mothering:
High Five (10 MP): Give a friend a high five to boost their confidence. Heal 50% of max HP.
Comforting Smile (15 MP): Show the party that everything will work out. Heal 25% of the party's HP.
Mental Clarity (5 MP): Focus your mind to purify your body. Heal common status effects to one ally.
Pep Talk (15 MP): Talk excitedly about life. Recover an unconscious ally to 25% health.

Jonathon Bear
Jonathon Bear lives in a forest with his animal friends. Jonathon Bear is filled with stuffing and can talk.
Personality: Supportive. You care about your friends more than anything. Doubles the effects of items.
Funducation:
High Five (10 MP): Give a friend a high five to boost their confidence. Heal 50% of max HP.
Sunshine (8 MP): Bathe your opponent in warm, dangerous UV rays. 150% magical damage; double damage to undead.
Natural Alarm (5 MP): An early riser has no empathy for those who sleep in. Wake all sleeping party members.
Energize (? MP): Convert your mana to usable energy. Give 50% of your current MP to an ally.

And of course Jimmy has a couple of new forms to play around with now:

Red-Billed Squawker
(Lv 05) Hyperactivity (5 MP): Use your God-given right to go nuts. Doubles Jimmy's agility and MP cost for one turn; instant.
(Lv 10) Natural Alarm (5 MP): An early riser has no empathy for those who sleep in. Wake all sleeping party members.
(Lv 15) Early Riser: Every day you get up at the crack of dawn to annoy your neighbors. Immune to sleep (other than self-inflicted).
(Lv 25) Flighty: Sometimes you don't know where you're going, but you'll get there fast! AGI +50%.
(Lv 40) Elaborate Dance (8 MP): The unpredictable movements make you a hard target. Dodge all attacks for one turn; one-turn cooldown.
(Lv 50) Annoying Squawk (0 MP): A loud shriek that's so annoying that the enemy can't think. Startle the target for one turn.

Instant skills take effect immediately after you select them and don't count as the party member's action for that turn.

Grumble Bear
(Lv 05) Afternoon Nap (8 MP): Battles are tough--how about a little break? Heal 100% of own HP but self-induce sleep.
(Lv 10) Rampage (10 MP): A physically taxing attack. 500% physical damage; self-inflicts stun.
(Lv 15) Fierce Growl (10 MP): A primal roar so loud it injures your opponents. 100% physical damage to all enemies.
(Lv 25) Sharp Claws: Great for cutting fruit. Terrible for picking up potato chips. ATK +50%.
(Lv 40) Head-on Collision (10 MP): Literally slam your head into the enemy. It hurts. 300% physical damage; takes 10% of your health.
(Lv 50) Juggernaut: Destroy the enemy regardless of the consequences. ATK +300%, MDF/DEF +50%, always attack in battle.

Bird form gives you +1 AGI for each level, and Bear form gives +1 ATK.

Blue Staff River and Fermata Forest Enemies
There's a good deal of overlap between these areas, as well as the water temple hidden in Blue Staff River.
Mid-Level Goon will bully you for 150% physical damage. When he smirks, he'll deal 200% physical to all party members the next turn. You can steal his Work Ethic to make him Sleep.
In order for a Low-Level Goon to graduate into a Mid-Level Goon, it's said that they have to spend at least 1,000 hours shaking people.

Hypnopottamus will play a lullaby every other turn to put a party member to Sleep.
There used to be a Hypnopottamus exhibit at the Legato Zoo, but it kept putting all the kids to sleep.

Bagspider can inflict Sick with a venomous bite.
A Bagspider's web is plaid. Since it's not very well-hidden, it doesn't catch many insects, so Bagspiders often have to hunt on the ground.

Bagspider Cocoon will take the place of Bagspiders in autumn and winter. After one turn, it will burst open and replace itself with one to three Bagspiders.
Bagspider Cocoons are equipped with tiny televisions so that the spider babies inside can watch cartoons while they grow.

Treeman will change form depending on the season. In spring, it can release spores and make your party Sick. In autumn, it starts the battle Sick and wastes turns coughing. You can steal its Health to make it cough more often. In winter, it will bite for 125% physical damage, but become weak to holy attacks.
In more arid regions, treemen have evolved to look more cactus-like, and they don't change with the seasons.

Metrognome will also change form based on the season. In spring, it will throw sparkle dust in your eyes to Startle you, and hum a tune to restore 25% of all enemies' HP. In summer, it will bully you for 150% physical damage, and chant to make all enemies Motivated. In autumn, it will spray mud on the party and make them Sticky (lowering their AGI), and raise a barrier to make enemies Guarded (raising their DEF/MDF). In winter, it will freeze the air to deal magical damage to you, and chant to charge up a blizzard, dealing 300% magical damage to all party members the turn after. It won't use its secondary abilities until it gets below 95% health. You can steal 150 dollars from it in spring, and a Barbell in summer.
In their youth, it's not uncommon for Metrognomes to be mistaken for leprechauns. They don't have a pot of gold, but I hear they've got a few bucks set aside for a rainy day.

Bosses
In Blue Staff River, the Petty Thugs will use the same attacks they used in The Wilting Lands, with a few tweaks. DeeDee can now slam into a party member, dealing 250% physical damage at the cost of skipping her next turn, or kick your whole party, damaging and Startling them. Big Enormous can now play a sad song to Unmotivate your party. Johnny Knives can make you Sick with a poisoned dagger; if he cackles for two turns, he'll slash hard three times for 200% physical damage each. If Punch Tanaka scratches his head and looks confident somehow, he'll either use a magnificent combo or counter the next turn.

Grumble Bear has three phases for each third of its health bar. In the first phase, it can roar to damage the entire party physically, or rampage twice for 150% damage each, at the cost of skipping its next turn. In the second phase, it can bite for 125% damage; its roar will inflict Unguarded and its rampage will hit three times. In the third phase, it can slam you for 150% physical damage; its roar will inflict Unmotivated as well as Unguarded and its rampage will hit four times.

FURNITURE UPDATE
Gym Set (???)
-Barbell (+2 DEF): For that bulked-up summer body. Steal from summer Metrognome in Fermata Forest.
-???
-???
-???
-???

Musical Set (???)
-Speaker Cabinet (+3 MDF): Loudens quiet sounds. Found in Fermata Forest.
-Treble Clef (+3 AGI): A huge clef for a huge score. Found in Legato Castle.
-???
-???
-???
-???

Solitair fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Aug 16, 2019

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Two of Johnny's cats are definitely called Scratch Tanaka and Li'l Enormous. I couldn't think of a way to make Didi into a cat name, but I'm sure he did.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

You guys were talking about cockroaches in the last episode, so I want you to go look up palmetto bugs. They're quite common in Florida, and they're basically cockroaches that can fly. And they're rather big. They're so much fun to deal with.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Regular cockroaches can fly.
They mostly choose not to because its very energy intensive.

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

They can? I've only ever heard of palmetto bugs doing it. Either way, the fuckers are huge, and are actively willing to fly.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Both inspire a primal fear and revulsion in the hearts of men and women. They also let Scabs be a hero.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

In NYC, we call big cockroaches "water bugs" for some reason. Maybe because they tend to hang out around the drains of sinks and showers. But a roach is a roach and a roach is the worst.

Also, don't let them crawl into your ear. They can't move backwards so they'll be stuck there until you get it removed. I thought that was some poo poo my dad made up to be a wiseass, but it's apparently real.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
Montana is immune from the horror of wild cockroaches, thankfully, though we do have monstrous spiders, weird stinky beetles, and most of the wildlife will go full Australia on you given the opportunity.

But I did do a project in biology where I tried to train Madagascan Hissing Cockroaches to run a very simple maze. I goofed by not realizing up front that MHCs are nocturnal, so all of my mid-afternoon experiments failed because they were asleep, but I still got to give my tri-fold presentation at the science fair. I had nice little cartoony illustrations of the roaches, which are kind of inoffensive looking compared to most weird bugs. But the piece de resistance was one of my actual subjects, who was as long as my hand (and I have big hands) and quietly sat between my cupped palms while I gave my presentation to other kids' parents.

One mother asked me what they look like, and I said, "Well, they look like this!" and held up my roach.

I have never seen someone accelerate that quickly out of a crowded space. The dad apologized to me and my roach.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Episode 10 is up!

Herr Tog joins me! And he thought we were still doing the Yiik LP. And he sees this and is like "Holy poo poo, this is actually a good game! And like most of these videos, I made a new friend :D

Scabs was howling at Katherine in the shower so no scabs. I'm gonna fix that soon.

A couple things:

1) Ebeezil is really nasty. That's why I ground encounters. Unfortunately, he died really fast when I put balls on his face. Woops.

2) I cannot for the life of me figure out what the metaphor for this nightmare zone is. Is it fear of sleep? Is it fear we are the figment of something else's imagination?

I'm unsure. Talk to me about it. Because that place freaks me the gently caress out.

3) "I would die for Grooky" is a Danaru joke. Sorry Dan. See, Yiik? This is how you accredit something. I'm sorry for stealing your joke, Dan

Enjoy the worst rendition of Shake it Off that has ever existed.

Commentary On

No Commentary

G-Mawwwwwww fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 6, 2019

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Ebeezil is a real bitch at this point in the game. On my first playthrough I found this dungeon much later, but if I had tried to take him on when you're supposed to, I probably would have given up. On my current playthrough, I somehow I beat him without a Caffeinated Inhaler, which allows you to keep two party members from falling asleep instead of just Helga.

Ayndin
Mar 13, 2010

If I had to guess, Ebeezil is maybe the fear of going to sleep and then never waking up? That sounds like a common nasty childhood fear.

Also Grooky is the best, unironically (but the other new starters are also great so everybody’s a winner :buddy: )

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Excuse me? Everyone I've talked to has loved the legendaries, and I think they're great. It doesn't hurt that Sword Wolf is basically Sif from Dark Souls. Also, don't you dare talk poo poo about Sobble, or I will cut you. Corviknight is also amazing, and he's our taxi service, and Wooloo is adorable. Everything about the new Pokémon games looks great, so far.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

I respect what Pokemon is going for and I understand the hype, but I haven't played it since Gen 4 and I don't feel like tripping over myself in an effort to get it. Maybe I'll change my mind once it comes out.

It's obvious to me that Sobble was the result of somebody at Nintendo or Game Freak noticing the shocked Pikachu meme and saying, "Make something like that." I'm all for it.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!
I just beat this game. I'm very glad I avoided spoilers, since this game is a crazy ride and you never know what to expect next.

I do wish it was better documented, though. There's a huge amount of hidden areas, sidequests and optional bosses, and very few guides out there to find them. I found out about two new ones thanks to this LP!

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I feel as if that whole area is some sort of existential terror, the kind you often get in dreams. In this case its perhaps the fear that you might die in your sleep and not be able to wake up.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Tombot posted:

I feel as if that whole area is some sort of existential terror, the kind you often get in dreams. In this case its perhaps the fear that you might die in your sleep and not be able to wake up.

this is why I keep going back to the Yume Nikki comparison. Yume Nikki has a lot of fangames but this one is one of the few that really does its own thing enough to have areas that evoke those kinds of feelings insterad of just mad libsing random things into Yume Nikki's established patterns.

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

HONK

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

ZeButler posted:

Excuse me? Everyone I've talked to has loved the legendaries, and I think they're great. It doesn't hurt that Sword Wolf is basically Sif from Dark Souls. Also, don't you dare talk poo poo about Sobble, or I will cut you. Corviknight is also amazing, and he's our taxi service, and Wooloo is adorable. Everything about the new Pokémon games looks great, so far.

Shield dog cannot procreate. Fight me! :colbert:

I like to imagine this bird plays "Camp Granada" on loop at an ear splitting volume. I love it.

Ayndin posted:

If I had to guess, Ebeezil is maybe the fear of going to sleep and then never waking up? That sounds like a common nasty childhood fear.

Also Grooky is the best, unironically (but the other new starters are also great so everybody’s a winner :buddy: )

That's probably the correct answer, especially since you'd immediately die to most enemies if you went asleep. Fun fact: right now, only Jimmy can fall asleep. And it's as a bear.

get that OUT of my face posted:

Ebeezil is a real bitch at this point in the game. On my first playthrough I found this dungeon much later, but if I had tried to take him on when you're supposed to, I probably would have given up. On my current playthrough, I somehow I beat him without a Caffeinated Inhaler, which allows you to keep two party members from falling asleep instead of just Helga.

My first time through, even Helga fell asleep. It went poorly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
So what Ebeezil does is every five turns, he'll put everyone in the battle to sleep, including himself. Not only can he still act when he's asleep, but his attacks get very sicknasty. When I fought Ebeezil, I hadn't prepared as well as I could have, and could only choose between waking the party and waking him. I don't think he can actually instakill your sleeping party members when he's asleep himself, though, so I chose to wake the party.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jun 6, 2019