Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The Voidwarden. A mysterious gunslinger claiming to hail from 'the end of time', now in Paragon City to change their dark future. Dual Pistols/Temporal Manip.

Love the look and concept!

If you have a good build for this setup, please let me know! I have the same build on a fun concept too and I'd like to make it a bit more efficient. I feel like all the holds are going by the wayside and are less useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Figured out how to get on the Homecoming server (had been on Plieades) and I'm very sad my brain in a jar can't also be smoking a cigar. Or have pushed-up goggles.

I ride bikes all day
Sep 10, 2007

I shitposted in the same thread for 2 years and all I got was this red text av. Ask me about my autism!

College Slice
There a post somewhere on level 50 stuff? Incarnate, veteran, hell even just figuring out which enhancements to use is a bit overwhelming for my punch nazis with a lightning fist game.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

Fight me.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
Do you have the badge for murdering civilians in Mayhem Missions and if so can you tell me what it's called (you monster)

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's Terminator.

winterwerefox
Apr 23, 2010

The next movie better not make me shave anything :(

I got bitched at and told that i want a "i win" button for wanting the annoying rear end Hunt 300 spirits, hunt 200 sorcerers badges adjusted to be less annoying. Bitch, I'm badging on a blaster that can one shot em, its not fun or a challenge, just tedious. Khalissti Wharf is empty, fill it with giant packs of level 1 versions of all the hunt critters.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Getting defensive about bullshit timewasting mechanics in subscription based games has to be a form of Stockholm syndrome.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I ride bikes all day posted:

There a post somewhere on level 50 stuff? Incarnate, veteran, hell even just figuring out which enhancements to use is a bit overwhelming for my punch nazis with a lightning fist game.

Veteran levels are straightforward. They're just more levels after 50, and you get rewards as you get them. There is no more power to be had from them directly, but it gives you the currencies you need to make the stuff that does make you more powerful.

To unlock your Alpha slot, you have a few options. Since this is probably your first, you have two realistic ones: "keep earning XP and it'll happen on its own" or "do the Alpha Unlock thing in Ouroboros with Mender Ramiel." I suggest doing the Ouroboros thing at least once, with the caveat that at one point you're told "hey, this is hard, bring friends." I suggest bringing friends because they aren't joking. To be less cagey about it, the specific thing is the mission Lady Grey gives you to retrieve the container and deal with Captain Holtz, and the reason is you have to fight The Honoree and Captain Holtz at the same time, and they're both AVs, although they can be scaled down to EBs.

Once you get your Alpha slot unlocked (again, there's various ways to do that), it is time to make a Thing for it. A list is here, and also in-game, but the short version is "it is a universal enhancement that applies to all of your powers." As you upgrade it, it provides a bigger bonus and/or more bonuses, and when you upgrade it to tier 3, it gives you a Level Shift: you count as level 51 for all combat calculations that check level (damage, accuracy, effect duration, et cetera), but are still 50 as far as rewards are concerned. You can make as many as you want, but getting all the bits can be a pain in the rear end, so choose wisely but don't stress about loving it up because you can fix it later.

Of course, the Alpha slot isn't the only one. Once you unlock it, you start unlocking the next two: Judgement and Interface. Judgement is a giant GET hosed nuke available to all archetypes every 90 seconds, Interface is a proc that applies to all of your powers. Once those are unlocked, you start on Lore (pets) and Destiny (big AOE buff). Finally, there is Hybrid, which used to require running the Magisterium trial, but I have no idea if that's changed for Homecoming, and the abilities are kind of weird, so check those out yourself, but I figure it's far enough in the future to not worry about. Worth noting is that Lore and Destiny, once you get those to rank 3, grant an Incarnate Shift. Which is a Level Shift that only works in Incarnate content, which is pretty handy considering how much Incarnate stuff spawns at level 54.

As for actually making this crap, the procedure is pretty much the same across the board: to make the Tier 1, mush together three common Incarnate Components. To make the tier 2, take the tier 1, mush it together with two common and one uncommon Incarnate Components. To make the tier 3, combine the tier 2 with two commons and a rare. And finally, to make the tier 4, you need to combine two tier 3s (doesn't matter which), two common bits, and a very rare bit.

Which brings up the question of "okay, what are Incarnate Components and how do you get them?" Incarnate Components are just the bits you craft together to make Incarnate abilities, and any time you're presented with a choice of a rarity, all the items of that rarity are available, so if you know what you want then you can just pick it off the list. One of the tabs in the Incarnate thing lets you turn shards and threads into various components, break things you don't need into threads, upgrade, sidegrade, and so on to help you get what you need. As for how to get them, in addition to "make them out of shards and threads," the intended answer is "RAID, MOTHERFUCKER." Now, that may sound intimidating, but it's really not. City of Heroes has a pretty low threshold for participating in raids. As long as the people in charge have some idea what to do, you just need to follow a few simple instructions, usually poo poo like "stay with the herd, shoot these fuckers, don't shoot that fucker." (Actually running poo poo can be more complicated, but unless you intend to do that, you don't need to know or care about details.)

For enhancements, the "grunt and go" version is "things you use on enemies get one accuracy, three Thing What They Do, probably a recharge, probably an endurance, defenses are 3 def or res and maybe an endurance reduction." At 50, it's a bit late to worry about common IOs, although I will point out that a level 53 SO will get you about a 38% boost, a level 50 common is about 42%, so if it's something you've only got one or two of in a power, it might be worth considering. If you have three in the power, it's not worth using because Enhancement Diversification will eat the difference.

If you want to know about IOs and sets, holy poo poo, that is a whole thing and I am not qualified to help on that, but if you want to know the short version, it's how to break the game over your knee. It is not strictly necessary because once you get a team together it's fine, but it can be fun!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

HPanda posted:

It might sound silly since video games and all, but I really like to read mission text and take time out to read over the speech bubbles. This is pretty much impossible when grouping.

Get a like-minded friend and it's all gravy! I've done some light RPing with a couple different friends when we duo and just like, discuss the mission along the way, talk out plot points and just generally have fun. Even with just two people in a group CoH becomes so much more fun.

One of the reasons why I stuck with the game so long over other MMOs is that there's just so many different ways to play. Play dressup, chase badges, run challenging group content, RP, write AE stories missions or play ones other people have made.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Or play a drinking game where you have to take a shot every time you spot a female character in lingerie!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

MechaCrash posted:

If you want to know about IOs and sets, holy poo poo, that is a whole thing and I am not qualified to help on that, but if you want to know the short version, it's how to break the game over your knee. It is not strictly necessary because once you get a team together it's fine, but it can be fun!

IO Sets are definitely a thing and it's totally just for people who want to push things to the limit. You will be able to do anything there is at 50 just with generic level 50 IOs. I never went further than that on live and never had any issues at all. I've only recently dipped my toes into the IO set pool because I had a fellow goon show infinite patience in helping me plan out what sets I needed and walked me through the steps of how to get them for the cheapest possible. It still went through my nest egg of 200 million influence and 1k reward merits, but I won't lie I am pretty impressed with the improvements on a character who was already performing super well.

I'm not sure I want to go through that process on a second character though. Just like you probably aren't going to want to try and get as many badges as possible on more than one character, the time, effort and resources required to kit out a character with Set IOs is pretty steep.

Baller Time posted:

Or play a drinking game where you have to take a shot every time you spot a female character in lingerie!

That sounds like less of a game and more just chugging your drink.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Stuff like merit vendors made it a lot easier for a filthy casual like me to cherry pick a few cheap but useful unique enhancements too, even when using 99% plain vanilla IO

Like that godsend universal travel one, with 4 Knockback protection. A great bit of QoLfor anything that doesn't come with build in protection, but also nice for how much I liked electric armor, which had it's KB protection reliant on if you were "near the ground"

(I wonder if it's just my petty imagination from years ago, or big leap and flip attacks really were causing me to suffer knockdown the moment my attack finished due to jumping too 'high' in the animation. God I hope it was my imagination... Gonna keep shoving Blessing of the Zephyr into everything just to be sure.)

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Jun 4, 2019

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Been having fun with my new SS/WP Brute:

It's a bit simpler than I'd like, but there isn't a whole lot of crossover between the girl model and the big buff model.

Still, it's enough to do this:

Heeey, I did some DFB with you. I enjoyed your costume.

Also, is there a list or can someone fill me in on how or which AoE abilities will crit for a stalker from stealth? I know the kinetic AoE does. Does for instance, mass levitate for psionic also crit? What're the rules. I know shadow maul for dark melee doesn't, because I assume it counts as a DoT? How about shield charge?

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jun 4, 2019

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

clone on the phone posted:

Heeey, I did some DFB with you. I enjoyed your costume.

Also, is there a list or can someone fill me in on how or which AoE abilities will crit for a stalker from stealth? I know the kinetic AoE does. Does for instance, mass levitate for psionic also crit? What're the rules. I know shadow maul for dark melee doesn't, because I assume it counts as a DoT? How about shield charge?

shield charge crits and also doesnt unhide you because it's a pseudopet and that is one of the reasons elec/shield is hilariously good

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Tsurupettan posted:

shield charge crits and also doesnt unhide you because it's a pseudopet and that is one of the reasons elec/shield is hilariously good

Does lightning rod also crit and not unstealth you?

e: according to the internet it does not. I'd still like to know about mass levitate though. Hard to find info on some of this stuff!

clone on the phone fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jun 4, 2019

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

clone on the phone posted:

Does lightning rod also crit and not unstealth you?

you got it :mrgw: just weird pseudopet stuff.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Tsurupettan posted:

you got it :mrgw: just weird pseudopet stuff.

mama mia

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

I know its degenerate, but there's something nice about zoning out and farming on my spines/fire brute, then coming back to a small wealth of treasure.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.
I last played around the time CoV had come out but stopped not long after so am poking around again, I figured I'd try a Brute this time, having done an MM and I think a few hero types before, and picked titan weapons because of my vague concept of a 'man at arms from he-man' cosplayer-type who got whapped around and gained powers because a supervillain liked to cosplay as skeletor (names will be changed to protect the innocent)

Any advice on what to pick while levelling titan/electric on a brute, or what I should be doing in the early levels as I'm seeing a whole bunch of acronyms like DFB and so on, or is it still fine to just plug away at the missions given by contacts and not worry about speed of levelling while I get used to the game again?

Sorry for questions #63214 but having tried searching them on google (which led to reddit) and getting multiple contradictory answers which mostly seemed to be about speed levelling alts I figured I'd chuck em in here.

PST fucked around with this message at 14:26 on Jun 4, 2019

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Welp I finally dragged myself to my first 50 on Homecoming (on a Defender of all things). I don't suppose there's a quick and dirty list of "absolutely get these IOs, consider these IOs"? I honestly can't remember all of the must get individual enhancements and sets, though I know a lot of it is just tailoring things in Mids to your liking after that.

On the other hand it's a Defender and is already a pretty potent force multiplier on a team even with just common IOs, so maybe I should just not worry about going full crazy with IOs until I get a Stalker or Brute up to 50?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

I'm slowly putting together some IO stuff for the OP but it's very hard to say 'you must have X io/set' because building a fully IO'd out character is about the sum of the parts and you will vary your choices based on power sets and needs. The very basic 'meta' for IOs is reaching perma hasten and/or def caps and then using leftovers to pick up scraps of res bonuses.

The only 'must haves' for IOs otherwise are uniques. The two recovery uniques and pshift proc are fantastic. Also kb prot, tohit bonus, the two 3% all def uniques.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
What IOs do I need to slot for my /storm dude to make Hurricane the most knockbacky is can be?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Gynovore posted:

Global recharge is good for absolutely every build whatsoever (except *maybe* masterminds) but Titan needs it even more than most. Save up for those LotGs.

What is LotG and what is global recharge as opposed to... I dunno, normal recharge?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Deadmeat5150 posted:

What IOs do I need to slot for my /storm dude to make Hurricane the most knockbacky is can be?
Knockback. It won't increase the rate though, just the force.

You'd probably be better slotting to debuff to-hit instead. It's really strong for that, even on a corruptor you can get it over -45% easily.

edit: also why are there no villain ATs in the OP? The prejudice is real guys!

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jun 4, 2019

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Glagha posted:

What is LotG and what is global recharge as opposed to... I dunno, normal recharge?

luck of the gambler, it's an IO set. global recharge is a recharge bonus that applies to all of your powers rather than just the specific one it's slotted in.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I assume that means you can get global recharge from LotG?

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

they're specifically talking about this part of the LotG set: https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Luck_of_the_Gambler:_Defense/Increased_Recharge_Speed

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The recipe for that one also consistently sells for something like 20 mil. This is an enhancement where you want a lower level version for exemplaring, right? It looks like all you lose by using the level 25 version over the level 50 version is a minor amount of +def.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Right. You can always Attune the thing to make sure you get full power and the recharge bonus, though.

Now, to back up and explain some things...

You can benefit from a maximum of five copies of any given bonus effect from a set. Doesn't matter where it came from or how you got it, you can have five instances of it.

There is a set bonus that gives +7.5% recharge.

The Global Recharge bit of LOTG also gives +7.5% recharge.

These are not considered the same bonus, so you can have five of each, thus getting +75% recharge (in addition to whatever other recharge bonuses you can pile up).

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

MechaCrash posted:

Right. You can always Attune the thing to make sure you get full power and the recharge bonus, though.

Now, to back up and explain some things...

You can benefit from a maximum of five copies of any given bonus effect from a set. Doesn't matter where it came from or how you got it, you can have five instances of it.

There is a set bonus that gives +7.5% recharge.

The Global Recharge bit of LOTG also gives +7.5% recharge.

These are not considered the same bonus, so you can have five of each, thus getting +75% recharge (in addition to whatever other recharge bonuses you can pile up).

five of each but they all have to be in different powers, right? hence the scramble for "mule" powers like Hover that qualify to hold LotG even if they're otherwise not worth it?

and what is attuning?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Right. One copy of any given enhancement in a power, which is why people will get Hover and Combat Jumping and the like.

An Attuned enhancement is always your level. So it will grow with you, and if you Exemplar down, it will drop down to match, so you can keep the set bonuses. You can Attune an IO by using a Catalyzer on it.

Do note that Attuning does not allow for IOs to function outside of their regular levels. Kinetic Combat is always going to be a 20-35 set, for example, so Attuning it will not let it give you level 50 numbers, and Attuning a set of Mako's Bite is still not going to let you drop below 27 (the minimum to equip the set at all) and keep the bonuses.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Just to be clear, the "push mans back" part of hurricane is repel, not knockback, and can't be enhanced. Slotting knockback will increase distance when the flop procs though.

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Also, is LRM Rocket with instasnipe as funny as I hope it is?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

MechaCrash posted:

Right. One copy of any given enhancement in a power, which is why people will get Hover and Combat Jumping and the like.

An Attuned enhancement is always your level. So it will grow with you, and if you Exemplar down, it will drop down to match, so you can keep the set bonuses. You can Attune an IO by using a Catalyzer on it.

Do note that Attuning does not allow for IOs to function outside of their regular levels. Kinetic Combat is always going to be a 20-35 set, for example, so Attuning it will not let it give you level 50 numbers, and Attuning a set of Mako's Bite is still not going to let you drop below 27 (the minimum to equip the set at all) and keep the bonuses.

Is this a different process than making ATOs purple or is it catalysts in both cases?

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

There's a reason most of my characters end up with Vengeance at 49. Truly a one slot wonder.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

I want to thank all the helpful goons that have been answering all my questions. Thanks to all that help and my own experiments (and millions of :10bux:) I got my Plant/Storm controller loaded up and he's a loving beast. Most of the Plant/Storm guides I found usually mention the mediocre-at-best boss/AV damage and I was trying to figure out a solution. I think I got it. Link to build in the video:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zjNx0mjvwCg

Soft-capped range defenses, good all-around resists, and permanent Carrion Creepers with only one purple set. Also, 10 damage procs spread between the Creepers, Freezing Rain, and Roots lol. There wasn't a lot of firm info on how well procs would work in Creepers after the nerf so I just said "gently caress it" and went for it. As you can see, it's still pretty loving good. With that many procs I figured something has to fire and yeah, it looks like it does!

Two other key parts of the build are the recharge proc in Lightning Storm and the purple confuse (Coercive Persuasion) set. The recharge proc is what pushes the recharge over the edge for permanent Creepers without permanent Haste (20-30 seconds of downtime), and it seems to fire every time Lightning Storm is activated. Also, I only cared about the purple confuse set to softcap range but holy gently caress that confuse proc is amazing. It goes off fairly often, and as you can see in the video if it procs it lets you confuse bosses off of a single Seeds of Confusion and completely neutralize a group with one ability on a short cooldown. It's really good.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

PST posted:

I last played around the time CoV had come out but stopped not long after so am poking around again, I figured I'd try a Brute this time, having done an MM and I think a few hero types before, and picked titan weapons because of my vague concept of a 'man at arms from he-man' cosplayer-type who got whapped around and gained powers because a supervillain liked to cosplay as skeletor (names will be changed to protect the innocent)

Any advice on what to pick while levelling titan/electric on a brute, or what I should be doing in the early levels as I'm seeing a whole bunch of acronyms like DFB and so on, or is it still fine to just plug away at the missions given by contacts and not worry about speed of levelling while I get used to the game again?

Sorry for questions #63214 but having tried searching them on google (which led to reddit) and getting multiple contradictory answers which mostly seemed to be about speed levelling alts I figured I'd chuck em in here.

The fastest way to level is to play stuff in an 8 man group (or technically vs 8 man spawns but good luck soloing that as a low level anything). Basically you just want to be killing as many dudes as you can as fast as you can for xp. Don't forget you can get 100% more xp gain (at the cost of having no influence gain) from the P2W vendor in Atlas or Mercy Island.

For TW I suggest you pick up hasten early on and get build up ASAP. This will allow you to string together 4-5 attacks during your build-up momentum window. You'll probably want to slot accuracy on your typical opening strike (defensive strike?) because if you miss you won't get momentum and you'll have to sit through another long rear end animation. You'll probably want endurance reduction enhancements as well because TW spends endurance like crazy. 3 Slot hasten and build up for recharge and 3 slot your stamina for endurance modification. Once you get whatever Electric Armor's endurance recovery button is you'll probably want to slot that for recharge as well. After all this is put together you will have bursts of big damage with some regular momentum combos when your build up is on cooldown. Once you get to whirling smash you can open up on packs with build up into whirling smash to knock everyone on their rear end then proceed to whack them all with some kind of momentum combo.

Don't skimp on your resistance slots either. Electric armor relies on resistance rather than defense IIRC so you're taking all the hits coming at you but making them smaller instead of trying to avoid them entirely. Also grab your CC/Mez protection powers since stuns/holds last forever in this game and you want to maximize the amount of time you spend hitting things with your oversized weapon of choice.

Diephoon fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jun 4, 2019

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Nonexistence posted:

Just to be clear, the "push mans back" part of hurricane is repel, not knockback, and can't be enhanced. Slotting knockback will increase distance when the flop procs though.

Ah, ok. That makes sense. Cause I slotted Knockback and send people flying, which is fun, I just wanted it to happen more often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Ah, ok. That makes sense. Cause I slotted Knockback and send people flying, which is fun, I just wanted it to happen more often.

I want to see someone slot one of the punches with knockback for maximum knockback, just to see how far you can send a dude flying.