Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: GhostofJohnMuir)

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Volkerball posted:

They didn't react to it like it was physically hot. They just kinda passed it around like huh, that looks weird.

Actually the dosage was only 3.6 roentgen, no more than a chest x-ray, and it's clear that it couldn't have been a chunk of graphite, as there was none at the scene. :ussr:

Oh god, you're right, drat. I'm so sorry, comrade, I'm not insane, I was just wrong. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

later in that link it shows that with high enough beta doses blistering can occur immediately, and that chernobyl workers and firefighters received those doses in some cases. iirc we can't be sure how much dosage any individual person got because not everyone had a personal dosimeter and those that did, all of them were completely blown out

quote:

The acute dose-dependent effects of beta radiation on skin are as follows:[20]

0–6 Gy no acute effect
6–20 Gy moderate early erythema
20–40 Gy early erythema in 24 hours, skin breakdown in 2 weeks
40–100 Gy severe erythema in less than 24 hours
100–150 Gy severe erythema in less than 4 hours, skin breakdown in 1–2 weeks
150–1000 Gy blistering immediate or up to 1 day

quote:

Beta burns were a serious medical issue for some victims of the Chernobyl disaster; from 115 patients treated in Moscow, 30% had burns covering 10–50% of body surface, 11% were affected on 50–100% of skin; the massive exposure was often caused by clothes drenched with radioactive water. Some firefighters suffered beta burns of lungs and nasopharyngeal region after inhalation of massive amounts of radioactive smoke. Out of 28 deaths, 16 had skin injuries listed among the causes. The beta activity was extremely high, with beta/gamma ratio reaching 10–30 and beta energy high enough to damage basal layer of the skin, resulting in large area portals for infections, exacerbated by damage to bone marrow and weakened immune system. Some patients received skin dose of 400–500 Gy.

there's never been a mass exposure of radiation like chernobyl since, in terms of how many people were crawling around in and on staggeringly radioactive crap for hours

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://i.imgur.com/y1FGZtb.mp4

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

The show is exceedingly dedicated to showing poo poo as it happened, there are dramatic changes of course, but the story of the firefighter with the burned hand is real, it just did not happen to Vasily's friend Misha. You'll see full blown ASR later and it's all based off photos of chernobyl victims as well as other ASR victims like Louis Slotin.

The thing with the first responders is they are getting all kinds of radiation exposure from the dust and particulate in the air that they are getting all over their skin, breathing in, swallowing, etc. So they had surface burns from beta radiation on their skin and clothing, as well as radiation sickness from the sheer amounts they we're absorbing from just the ambient area.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I'm no math wiz but...

:thunk:

Something doesn't look right

edit; I honestly don't know if this article is trying to pull a fast one or the author is simply a moron, I'm too lost in the bullshit

Only registered members can see post attachments!

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 4, 2019

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
it's a real bad chart in a bad article making a liberal argument push rich-but-not-billionaire readers to the left. it's arguing that just because you're not a billionaire doesn't mean you aren't part of the problem of wealth inequality.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
it seems like a pretty ok article? it's just saying "while you are getting mad at the top 0.1% of ultra rich, don't forget the rest of the top 10% are just as bad"

quote:

None of this matters, you will often hear, because in the United States everyone has an opportunity to make the leap: Mobility justifies inequality. As a matter of principle, this isn’t true. In the United States, it also turns out not to be true as a factual matter. Contrary to popular myth, economic mobility in the land of opportunity is not high, and it’s going down.

Imagine yourself on the socioeconomic ladder with one end of a rubber band around your ankle and the other around your parents’ rung. The strength of the rubber determines how hard it is for you to escape the rung on which you were born. If your parents are high on the ladder, the band will pull you up should you fall; if they are low, it will drag you down when you start to rise. Economists represent this concept with a number they call “intergenerational earnings elasticity,” or IGE, which measures how much of a child’s deviation from average income can be accounted for by the parents’ income. An IGE of zero means that there’s no relationship at all between parents’ income and that of their offspring. An IGE of one says that the destiny of a child is to end up right where she came into the world.

According to Miles Corak, an economics professor at the City University of New York, half a century ago IGE in America was less than 0.3. Today, it is about 0.5. In America, the game is half over once you’ve selected your parents. IGE is now higher here than in almost every other developed economy. On this measure of economic mobility, the United States is more like Chile or Argentina than Japan or Germany.

e: lol at the softpedal conclusion though "as bad as the american aristocracy is, if you want to continue to enjoy the fruits of being rich and white maybe enact a social safety net to prevent revolution???"

Mr. Fall Down Terror fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 5, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Sorry, didn't realize it was more than a year old, too. I guess it's making the rounds. There's a lot of weird poo poo in there and if the dude is well-meaning then he might also be an idiot. At one point he references sexual selection as a driver of income inequality. :lol:

.9 percent + .1 percent + 9.9 percent is..... 1090 percent

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
90 + 9.9 + 0.1 = 100 companero

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
doing microscopy again after like 6 years sure is a trip

learning the systems behind things you learned ad hoc is pretty enlightening

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiGEh7UoMYg

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I am the wheelchairman

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
first ep of the new black mirror is really good

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

luxury handset posted:

it seems like a pretty ok article?

[...]

lol at the softpedal conclusion though "as bad as the american aristocracy is, if you want to continue to enjoy the fruits of being rich and white maybe enact a social safety net to prevent revolution???"

i don't think it does a good job of arguing for that. it's bad in the sense that it's a poorly-written article, not in the sense that it's politics are evil

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
https://i.imgur.com/mxprGFp.mp4

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

nice

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
:3:

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
we are up to season six of game of thrones. i have no pride left, just shame, and a vague memory of who i once was

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

that's a pretty rational reaction to most of season 5 yeah

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

does seem like people have some strong opinions about this thing, though I am unable to discern why

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
that said, i'm happy that the tyrion / varys bromance is back on centre stage

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

nankeen posted:

that said, i'm happy that the tyrion / varys bromance is back on centre stage

I cannot loving believe you’re actually binging that show

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Everyone has their kink, and that's fine and cool :v:

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Pirate Radar posted:

I cannot loving believe you’re actually binging that show
it's mum's thing, i can't let her do it alone

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
every time she's getting too engaged i have to gently remind her how racist everything is

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Apparently Toronto winning a basketball game will be the death of the NBA.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Furnaceface posted:

Apparently Toronto winning a basketball game will be the death of the NBA.

g o o d

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

But it will also mean dealing with an extremely smug Drake for the whole summer.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
his 2 modes are extremely smug and extremely sad

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Which one is sicko?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
whenever i heard hotline bling when it was getting air time i would fly into a frothing rage. drake is whining given human form

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Drake is 10 ply soft

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

go raptors

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Clever girls

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Volkerball posted:

Clever girls

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747
shame. shame. shame. ding-a-ling! shame. shame. shame. ding-a-ling! shame. shame. shame. ding-a-ling!

Goons Are Gifts
Jan 1, 1970

Are you getting really invested in this, too?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Drake is 10 ply soft

aubrey aka the kitten whisperer

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Goons Are Great posted:

Are you getting really invested in this, too?
no lol, every time i get momentarily engaged the show punishes me with a solid half hour of chanting naked brown people eating each other while a blonde woman with angel wings flies round and round shooting fire from her naked breasts like flamethrowers and yelling some bullshit about a wolf loving the sun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

nankeen posted:

woman with angel wings flies round and round shooting fire from her naked breasts like flamethrowers and yelling some bullshit about a wolf loving the sun

okay but this would actually rule